The Heroic Gunslinger Fantasy

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I am pro NRA, no amount of posting will change that, so what is the point?

No more than to begrudge others with your personal views. These anti-gun threads are virtually pointless because they have no effect, other than to bicker.

Now it is no more, regarding me, than getting in the 'last word' as such, seems to make you feel in the right, to validate you. So, post again and you will feel that sense of ego boost you seek.

So quote me again and aggrandize yourself into a false sense of accomplishment, I surly do not care.

I will respond but not for the purpose of getting the last word. You have misrepresented my position and that warrants a response.

You are one of the people who is misrepresenting my position as being anti-gun. It is not. I have several guns and I very much want to keep them. I want other to be able to purchase and own guns as well. I dop not want to repeal the second amendment.

That said, our society is facing a problem rather unique in the world - gun violence. It is a relatively recent phenomenon and it seems to be a problem caused by people who should not own guns due to that persons threat to society having ready access to guns. How do you think that rather unique problem should be addressed: prevention or prosecution?

Quincy

I own firearms but I don't suffer any illusions of grandeur, here. Unless you are watching everyone in your vicinity closely, a gunman would probably get off a few shots before you could react. Shootings would end sooner, if more people were armed and trained but that alone wouldn't stop shootings.

The people who do these mass shootings just want to see the world burn. They wouldn't care if there are armed people in a place or not. It's all about hurting society as much as possible on your way out, with these people. If you want to curtail shootings, the thing to do is to make sure people who are suicidal or have committed suicide attempts have no access to firearms.

It won't stop innocent deaths, nothing will. These incidents have anyways been about hurting society as a whole and making statements. It would make things more difficult for insane people to do this, however.

Dan Emanuel

Right. What I'm saying is that weapons of self defense, like a pistol, shot gun, or rifle, should not be restricted, as opposed to the larger weapons mentioned, as a matter of principle.
Ah, I see you're point. Thats a good distinction to think about.

But I still think that machine gun's, while of course having use's beyond just self-defense, are superb for defending one's self.

DJ

bybee

I own firearms but I don't suffer any illusions of grandeur, here. Unless you are watching everyone in your vicinity closely, a gunman would probably get off a few shots before you could react. Shootings would end sooner, if more people were armed and trained but that alone wouldn't stop shootings.

The people who do these mass shootings just want to see the world burn. They wouldn't care if there are armed people in a place or not. It's all about hurting society as much as possible on your way out, with these people. If you want to curtail shootings, the thing to do is to make sure people who are suicidal or have committed suicide attempts have no access to firearms.

It won't stop innocent deaths, nothing will. These incidents have anyways been about hurting society as a whole and making statements. It would make things more difficult for insane people to do this, however.

Good post! I've stated that it would take a change in human nature to eliminate the risk.

Dan Emanuel

This was my point from the start of this thread. It has never been about gun control, it has been about controlling who can safely handle a gun and be trusted with it in public.

Question: Do you want people who are mentally, emotionally, etc., immature young to be able to purchase guns?

If no, how do you propose to keep them from getting guns?
Raise the minimum age. You could even raise the minimum age for just men and not women, since its just men who seem to pop a screw and murder a bunch of defenseless people.

Sometime's automobile rental company's will not rent a car to a driver under 25 year's. If we raise the minimum age for the R.K.B.A. to 25, and we assume that this keep's those under 25 from accessing firearm's, how many of these mass shooting's would we prevent, on a percentage basis?

Superficially, what are the most apparent common denominator's between perpetrators of these mass shooting's? Male. Young.

DJ

PureX

Could not agree more.
Starting with the end: thats a straw man. Nobody has argued that gun's are fun, therefore shut up. At least, nobody I know, and nobody whose being serious.
And yet, this is the reason a lot of people want to own guns. And we both know it. Some here, have already admitted it. To a lot of gun owners, guns are 'fun'. They like the idea of their power, and they like shooting at things with them, both as a marksmanship challenge and as a display of power. It's really why so many people are so fascinated with automatic assault weapons. They don't really intend to assault any armed cadres with them, they just like the idea of all that firepower, and they like playing with them. Let's be honest.

And as much as we all have a right to have our fun, we don't have a right to endanger our society, doing it.
Next, I don't agree that it is because of the way we are handling gun's statutorily, that mass shooting's occur. We are not responsible for people making free choice's, unless we have done or are doing something to stoke the fire's of the more violent element's in our world. We permit private gun ownership --we don't encourage murder or violent crime.
We are not responsible for the choices other people make. But we are responsible for them having such easy access to very effective assault weapons that enable them to kill lots of innocent people. And the only reason all those weapons are out there, and are so easy for them to get hold of is because some people like having them for fun, and because the manufacturers don't care how many American their guns kill, so long as they can sell lots of them.
Now two thing's I've mentioned before: American's in particular are dealing with the wake of many disaster's that've plagued our history, and 1 of those is the terrorism perpetrated against us by organized criminal's. Before these people decided to exploit the R.K.B.A., "gun control" didn't exist because it didn't need to exist. Once the bad guy's opened Pandoras Box though, then we had to do something, and we simultaneously raised the stake's on law enforcement against the organized criminal's, and on restricting some of there favorite tool's of the trade.

It had nothing to do with school shooting's; gun control. It had to do with organized crime. Later on, it had to do with racism. Now, we are looking down the barrel of gun so to speak, set to fire off many more mass shooting's, perpetrated not by mobster's or drug cartel's (Mexico and Central/South America deal with these daily), but by . . .

. . . by who? The other thing I've mentioned is that we should consider raising the minimum age for the R.K.B.A. I can't find the data but I'm going to go out on a firm limb and say that darn near every 1 of the murderer's were under 30. We've lived through our 20's. We can see with hindsight how tumultuous a time that was. As time go's on, it get's harder and harder to grow up. Its some sort of covert societal experiment that we're executing right now, seeing how far we can push off the genuine adulthood of humanity. Clearly, since darn near every 1 of these mass shooting's was done by a youth, maybe we need to adjust the minimum age. Maybe growing up slowly is quite good for humanity; who know's? I'm eager to learn the result's myself. But in the meantime, it seem's that if people are going to take longer and longer to mature enough to NOT shoot up a movie theater, mall or elementary school, that maybe we should raise the minimum age.
I think these are all conditions that warrant investigation. But that doesn't answer the immediate problem: that we have far too many guns out there, and are making far too many more available to anyone who wants them. And not everyone who wants them should have them. Because they will kill themselves or other people with them.

So the bottom line is that we need to find a way to keep the people who are likely to use these guns to kill themselves, or others, from getting hold of them. How do we do that?
And what I'm suggesting is that the real danger to society is having so many mentally, emotionally, etc., immature young men, who are legally able to acquire any legal firearm that they can afford.
Then obviously, we need to keep those unstable young men from getting access to firearms.

But you're too focussed on the mass shooters, here. Yes, they're mostly unstable young men. But the majority of people killed in this country with firearms are not killed by young men shooting up middle schools. They are killed by their own hand, they are killed by their own spouses/lovers or family members and friends, and they are killed by drunk or drug or rage-addled strangers. Most of whom would not have committed murder had a gun not been so handy at the time they fell into their particular unreasonable state of mind. (Usually aided by drugs or alcohol.)

The point remains the same: that the guns are all around us, and so are just too easy for these unstable people to get hold of, whatever their age, and whatever their particular mental imbalance. And we need to find a way to stop this.
We do care. We differ on how to address it.
Good.

My suggestion would be to begin by identifying and addressing the problem, honestly. (I'm not saying that you aren't, but I'm seeing a lot of BS on these various "gun threads", mostly by people who think we should do nothing.)

Last edited:

Dan Emanuel

The claim that was made was that "firearms" were "invented" to inflict damage upon structures. That's plainly not true. They were invented first to shoot and kill people and animals. Later, we found other uses, including uses against "structures", but the early firearms wouldn't have been much use against any real fortifications.
Spoiler
1024px-Yuan_chinese_gun.jpg

...DE was trying to broaden the conversation to include anything from nail guns to jackhammers. That's tangentially related to what's actually being suggested at best.
In a sense, sure. Nobody's at the range sighting in there chain saw, or practicing cross-drawing there tin snip's. When the work that need's to be done mean's that you need to put some metal somewhere fast, at a distance, but accurately, they'res not much available thats better than a rifle.

But thats what it is. It put's little piece's of metal place's really, really fast.

DJ

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state" = incorrect premise. It should have said "Since all men have the right to self defense the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The citizen army exists for the reasons stated. Illegal aliens streaming in from Mexico and muslims were not the exact thought, but the idea to defend against them did.

rexlunae

But thats what it is. It put's little piece's of metal place's really, really fast.

I don't mean to be a nitpick, but please learn to use apostrophes.

There's no one here who doesn't recognize that you could, if you choose, describe a gun in that way. And there's also no good reason to limit our examination of guns to only that detail. No one is talking about significantly limiting access to nail guns. That doesn't mean that we can't have a different response to other types of guns.

Quincy

Good post! I've stated that it would take a change in human nature to eliminate the risk.

Indeed! It would take a huge change, one that I think might not be possible, sadly. However, we can make it harder on the dangerous people by making it less easy for them to damage society.

I don't mean to downplay the individual victims, I feel bad for them and their surviving families/friends. Still, the truth appears to be that these shootings are always an attack on humanity, by some insane misanthropist types. If they aren't allowed access to firearms, it makes their goal that much more difficult.

I also don't mean that all people with a mental illness should not have gun rights, just the ones who want to die and hate humanity. It also doesn't have to require any legislation to limit their access, either. Just people being responsible regarding the sell of firearms, gifting and intervening with dangerous family members would work.

Dan Emanuel

And yet, this is the reason a lot of people want to own guns. And we both know it. Some here, have already admitted it. To a lot of gun owners, guns are 'fun'...
Correct, and that was my point --its not right for people to enjoy operating a device, designed and built exclusively for killing human being's.
...They like the idea of their power, and they like shooting at things with them, both as a marksmanship challenge and as a display of power. It's really why so many people are so fascinated with automatic assault weapons. They don't really intend to assault any armed cadres with them, they just like the idea of all that firepower, and they like playing with them. Let's be honest...
They're are lot's of tool's that people love using because they make the work so much easier. Having the right tool for the job give's worker's satisfaction and confidence in doing there job.
...And as much as we all have a right to have our fun, we don't have a right to endanger our society, doing it...
Certainly agreed.
...We are not responsible for the choices other people make. But we are responsible for them having such easy access to very effective assault weapons that enable them to kill lots of innocent people...
Agreed.
...And the only reason all those weapons are out there, and are so easy for them to get hold of is because some people like having them for fun, and because the manufacturers don't care how many American their guns kill, so long as they can sell lots of them...
No, this is not a complete list. I myself do not own a single firearm because its fun. And, it is slanderous to suggest that Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Sig, etc., "don't care how many American their guns kill, so long as they can sell lots of them," without some sort of proof. Thats a terrible thing to think of people, without any evidence supporting it. Thats bearing false witness.
...I think these are all conditions that warrant investigation. But that doesn't answer the immediate problem: that we have far too many guns out there...
I don't perceive this problem. I know the data say's that they're are 300 million civilian-owned firearm's in America, making America the global leader in civilian-owned firearm's per capita. I also know that they're are many country's with far less civilian-owned firearm's per capita, who suffer from much higher murder rate's than does America. If you examine where the bloodiest country's are, you'll find that they all lie south of the American border, with Mexico 1 of the safer country's, but still much bloodier than America, and we all know that the violence in these country's is from 1 thing and 1 thing only --organized crime, specifically drug cartel's. This violence has bled over our southern border, and specifically not over our northern border.

I would perceive a problem with too many firearm's if I saw them everywhere, especially just sitting somewhere, unattended, where children and other inappropriately prepared people can access them. I know, of course, that this happen's, in isolation, but the trend is not toward's treating firearm's as less dangerous than they are; but more. Which is not a bad thing. I alway's remind my children that 1 of the stupider thing's you could do, is treat something dangerous as if its not. I also lead by example, as best I can. (I'm not talking strictly about firearm's, which I do treat with utmost caution, but other thing's that I am less diligent about being perfectly safe with; like not wearing safety glass's sometime's when working with power tool's.)

If the problem were too many civilian-owned firearm's, it would be more obvious, is what I'm offering.
...and are making far too many more available to anyone who wants them. And not everyone who wants them should have them. Because they will kill themselves or other people with them.

So the bottom line is that we need to find a way to keep the people who are likely to use these guns to kill themselves, or others, from getting hold of them. How do we do that?...
Thats why I'm suggesting raising the minimum age, because so much violence is done by the young and immature; young men who are still grappling with how to be a grownup, what to do about a career, about love, about . . . all the thing's that we struggle to get a read on, throughout our development.
...Then obviously, we need to keep those unstable young men from getting access to firearms...
I thought so. I mean, if we're not going to repeal the Second Amendment, then we need to look very carefully at what we can do.
...But you're too focussed on the mass shooters, here...
No, I don't think so. I'm giving mass shooting's the attention that these ghoulish event's deserve. No matter how many murder's occur over time, in drib's and drab's, its the mass shooting's that draw the most attention, that prompt us to once again revisit this issue. We don't think about it when they're are isolated case's, no matter how frequent they are. Mass shooting's are so scary because they can happen to you anywhere, unless your too afraid to venture outside you're home, which is no solution at all.

Mass shooting's are terrorism.
...Yes, they're mostly unstable young men. But the majority of people killed in this country with firearms are not killed by young men shooting up middle schools...
This is very true, and yet, it remain's irrelevant, when we're faced with another mass shooting, so close to us in our rearview mirror. These dreadful tragedy's light up our danger radar's like its Christmastime, more than almost any other violence that occur's everyday in our world (JFKs filmed assassination was also pretty rattling I think).
...They are killed by their own hand...
True. More than half of all firearm-related death's are suicide's in America. What are the age's of these suicide's? I haven't seen the data.

I think that suicide is perhap's more of a risk for the young, but its not as starkly contrasted as are mass shooting's, which are almost exclusively perpetrated by young men.
...they are killed by their own spouses/lovers or family members and friends, and they are killed by drunk or drug or rage-addled strangers. Most of whom would not have committed murder had a gun not been so handy at the time they fell into their particular unreasonable state of mind. (Usually aided by drugs or alcohol.)...
Well, we know that operating heavy machinery is a terrible idea when impaired by booze or drug's. Why should we think that firearm's are different?
...The point remains the same: that the guns are all around us, and so are just too easy for these unstable people to get hold of, whatever their age, and whatever their particular mental imbalance. And we need to find a way to stop this...
I agree. You'll probably hear a whiny adolescent in me saying it, but I'll say it anyway; I'm tired of being treated like a child, just because a genuine child (at least, emotionally, spiritually and mentally) shot up some people. Keep these people from getting there hand's on a firearm. And by "these people," in spite of you accusing me of focusing too much on mass shooting's, I mean, "young men." Not young men who are being treated for psychological disorder's, but young men. You never know, and hopefully you will never know, since medical record's should be private, what young man is unstable and developmentally delayed, and what young man isn't, so raise the minimum age for all of them for the R.K.B.A. For those young men who are mature enough to handle the grave responsibility of owning a firearm, they'll either have to suffer through it, or we could have a procedure for permitting those underage, on a very careful case-by-case basis, who are fit for this.
...Good.

My suggestion would be to begin by identifying and addressing the problem, honestly. (I'm not saying that you aren't, but I'm seeing a lot of BS on these various "gun threads", mostly by people who think we should do nothing.)
I don't think we should do nothing.

DJ

Granite

Hall of Fame
I don't mean to be a nitpick, but please learn to use apostrophes.

There's no one here who doesn't recognize that you could, if you choose, describe a gun in that way. And there's also no good reason to limit our examination of guns to only that detail. No one is talking about significantly limiting access to nail guns. That doesn't mean that we can't have a different response to other types of guns.

He honestly strikes me as very child-like and very naive.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually it does matter what the constitutions says as that is the governing document for the United States of America.
Not in the context of what the law ought to be, which is what the discussion is about.

No, I didn't, you just grossly misinterpreted it to service your own interests. What I said is there are other method of self defense that are highly effective and do not require a gun.
There aren't. Unless you are Chuck Norris, an MMA fighter, or you (I guess). I'm speaking generally here. There is no substitute for a gun to instantly turn just about anyone into someone that can effectively defend themselves.

Is that what you call your participation, a conversation? I'll let you in on a little secret, your not that good at it.
You're right. I have no illusions that I'm a good writer. But I certainly think a lot better than you. One of the reasons is that I actually consider that my position is wrong and weigh both sides. You don't. Your insistence that the constitution can grant rights is demonstrably wrong. And my demonstration of that isn't, like, my opinion, man. Your failure to comprehend what Rothbard said is childishly embarrassing. He clearly demonstrated why a restriction on speech by another superseding right defeats your premise that rights can be restricted by the whim of the state. And again, that's not, like, his opinion, man.

In the end, your proposal of mental testing would be welcomed by tyrants if made law because they know at any moment that they can, reasonably and with the consent of the governed, simply make anyone that disagrees with them outside the mental range.

Don't believe me? Wickard v. Filburn was never overturned.