Subway (sandwich shops) against homeschoolers!

Todah

That's true.

And are people also free to voice their displeasure over a stupid rule in their contest?

Yes, of course. That is simply my take, so to speak. I am more impressed with their generosity, of sorts, and-or concerned about their capitalistic freedoms, than I am miffed by their, exclusion of homeschoolers.

Besides Quiznos, is much better. :up:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I think Quiznos is ok but they have too many "heart attack specials" on their menus.

I agree, Subway may have good sandwiches but bad policies on people, other than making sandwiches, or subways if you prefer, actually we called them poorboys

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That was not my point either! I was looking at it solely from "their" point of view. As a matter of business and survival, you have to keep a slew of government regulations. Then they try to do something "nice" , and be "generous" to a select group of people, Kthru 6th, public and parochial school children.

I say let them do it, and don't give them any grief at all, that's what the government beauraucrats and homosexuals are for, and are so good at.

How else are we supposed to let them know that we're not happy with their decision to exclude us, then? There is nothing wrong with boycotting or protesting a business. Like I said, I'm hoping that they will see that a good portion of their consumers are home-schoolers. And, I'm not demanding that anyone follow my example of boycotting them. That's up to each individual as he/she decides.

Let's not be like them.

The thing is that to be like them, we would have to have a similar contest for only home-schoolers and not allow people who are not home-schooled enter the contest. And, needless to say, I'm not suggesting that either.

I think they could legally have a contest, that could exclude Christians, and males, just as well?

Legally? Yes. But, I would protest that as well.

I also think you could "legally" have a contest that could exclude homosexuals and females??? But then the outcry would be ear shattering, and the government would step in.

Of course they would (the government, of course). Therefore, I would feel no need to protest if women or homosexuals were excluded (and I'm a woman). The government already protects women, homosexuals, and racial minorities. The only time I've seen the government not step in over excluding certain people was with white, Christian males and with home-schoolers. I'm totally against protected classes in any way, shape, or form.

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
I don't see what the big deal is. There are also contests that are just for homeschoolers, where kids that in public/private school can't enter..

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't see what the big deal is. There are also contests that are just for homeschoolers, where kids that in public/private school can't enter..

And, if home-schoolers got the same funding and protections that public schools and some private schools got, I would protest that as well. Right now, in Europe and in the United States (that I know of, Germany and California), home-schoolers are under attack. Most people I know, including people in my own family, say, "So what? These people don't need to be separating themselves and their children; especially their children; from the world."

This contest may be a small thing in the general scheme of things. But, it's one more thing to add on to all of the others that I've been seeing. And, right now, it's the only one I can do anything about.

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
Subway as a company can do anything they want. I thank God for the freedom that businesses enjoy or Homos might still be in the boyscouts. There are plenty of things out there that homeschooled kids get to take part in that public schooled kids are excluded from.

And what's more... it's a plug. Subway wants to get schools involved because they want to make money. There isn't anything wrong with it whatsoever.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Subway as a company can do anything they want. I thank God for the freedom that businesses enjoy or Homos might still be in the boyscouts. There are plenty of things out there that homeschooled kids get to take part in that public schooled kids are excluded from.

Okay. I don't think that's fair d2i. I've never been part of a home-schooling group that purposely excluded siblings that were in public schools. Home-schoolers tend to be more inclusive.

And, as to the dig about boy scouts, Steve was an eagle scout. You know how I feel about that. Homosexuals are already a protected class, according to our government. Since I don't believe that there should be any protected classes in our country, how do you think I feel about this issue (as if it's hard to guess anyway)?

And what's more... it's a plug. Subway wants to get schools involved because they want to make money. There isn't anything wrong with it whatsoever.

I know it's a plug. And, a large part of their customer base is home-schoolers. Like I said (It seems like millions of times now.), I'm not trying to force anyone to follow me. I don't agree with Subway's business practices in excluding home-schoolers. I am taking a stand that I think is appropriate. If you disagree with me, fine. But, I don't remember a lot of people complaining when Walmart was boycotted for supporting homosexual partners getting the same benefits as married heterosexuals got. While I agree with that one too, I didn't hear anyone on TOL talking about how it was just a business.

Todah

The thing is that to be like them, we would have to have a similar contest for only home-schoolers and not allow people who are not home-schooled enter the contest. And, needless to say, I'm not suggesting that either.

Of course they would (the government, of course). Therefore, I would feel no need to protest if women or homosexuals were excluded (and I'm a woman). The government already protects women, homosexuals, and racial minorities. The only time I've seen the government not step in over excluding certain people was with white, Christian males and with home-schoolers. I'm totally against protected classes in any way, shape, or form.

When I said to be like them, I meant to be like homosexuals, for instance, who go around and either take umbrage, or demand, that they be included in every possible group, club, or activity. You are perfectly free and probably right to feel slighted and take umbrage at the exclusion of homeschoolers from this particular contest.

On the other hand that is exactly what homosexuals would do if they were directly, or even if they "felt" as if they were being excluded from any contest of the same sort.

But life is not fair. Subway had a bad day and a poor set of parameters for their contest. So what, is my own point of view on this one. I respect your feelings and actions. The issue does not rise to my own personal sense of injustice that leads me to action. If it does for you, so be it.

I am only trying to point out that is exactly how almost all liberals and homosexuals react, to any exclusion of themselves, that they see. It is just a contest, not an indictment of homeschoolers, IMHO.

We scarcely have men's clubs anymore, because they are "sexist" against women....... DUH!

God forbid you publically try to prevent a homosexual from joining any group.

Those are things worth fighting for. I would rather spend my time excluding a sinful influence, than demanding the inclusion of an innocent one, in someone else's private affair, or business.

Homosexuals have no right to demand that they be included in the private or religious affairs of others. Likewise homeschoolers have no right to demand that they be included in this contest. But if you want to boycott or protest Subway, by all means Godspeed to you. You have my blessings! I am just not going to do it with you. :)

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
I know it's a plug. And, a large part of their customer base is home-schoolers. Like I said (It seems like millions of times now.), I'm not trying to force anyone to follow me. I don't agree with Subway's business practices in excluding home-schoolers. I am taking a stand that I think is appropriate. If you disagree with me, fine. But, I don't remember a lot of people complaining when Walmart was boycotted for supporting homosexual partners getting the same benefits as married heterosexuals got. While I agree with that one too, I didn't hear anyone on TOL talking about how it was just a business.

But a larger part of their customer base are public/private schoolers. Simple as that. And there are clubs/contests/things that are exclusively for homeschoolers, and that's fine, too. I just think that this is majoring in the minors.

And the Walmart thing is a moral issue, where this is not.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay. I don't think that's fair d2i. I've never been part of a home-schooling group that purposely excluded siblings that were in public schools. Home-schoolers tend to be more inclusive.
How is it unfair?

First of all, I said that I have never been part of a home-schooling group that purposely excluded sibling who were in public schools.

A quick Google search shows that homeschoolers-only contests do exist, such as this one and this one.

Did you read the rules on the first contest you posted? From the same page you linked to:
One of our publishers' primary goals in developing this contest was to motivate homeschooling students to write. We've received many requests from local schools and other individuals in the past asking us to open the competition to public school students, but we are currently not capable of handling the thousands of entries that we would receive.

I think they have explained very well why this contest is open only to home-schoolers. They recognize that home-schoolers are a minority in the US. The second contest didn't have anything like that on the page you linked.

And, besides that, I didn't say that there never was anything for only home-schoolers. I said that I had never been involved in one.

Now, as to why I found what d2i said unfair. The last couple of sentences of my last post should explain that clearly.

Mr. 5020

First of all, I said that I have never been part of a home-schooling group that purposely excluded sibling who were in public schools.
Did somebody disagree with you?

Did you read the rules on the first contest you posted? From the same page you linked to:

I think they have explained very well why this contest is open only to home-schoolers. They recognize that home-schoolers are a minority in the US. The second contest didn't have anything like that on the page you linked.
Yes, I did read them. That was why I chose that one out of the many contests that came up. They had a reason to exclude other schools. Subway also had a reason to exclude homeschoolers, as Lucky (and others) have pointed out.

And, besides that, I didn't say that there never was anything for only home-schoolers. I said that I had never been involved in one.
It seemed like an implication you were making in more than one post in this thread. My apologies if I misread you. :)

Now, as to why I found what d2i said unfair. The last couple of sentences of my last post should explain that clearly.
Like Maximeee said, the issues are not comparable.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But a larger part of their customer base are public/private schoolers. Simple as that. And there are clubs/contests/things that are exclusively for homeschoolers, and that's fine, too. I just think that this is majoring in the minors.

Maximeee, I've explained why I feel as I do with this. You (generally speaking, not specifically) know that home-schooling is under attack. I've already told :jessilu: that she should go to college and get a teaching certificate because I think that by the time she has children that it will be required if you want to home-school them, based solely on how hard it is getting for home-schoolers to co-exist with society in some areas. And, like I said, I know that this contest is a minor issue. But, it's one that I can actually feel like I can do something about.

And the Walmart thing is a moral issue, where this is not.

A lot of people here, on TOL, think that home-schooling is a moral issue. I've had a few tell me that Christian parents who do not home-school are sinning. For me, the issue here is that I believe everyone should be treated equally, with no special privileges, whether they are in public or private schools or home-schooled. It's more of a political issue with me than a moral issue. I am so tired of Christians and home-schoolers taking one in the gonads for the sake of political correctness. I've watched it for too long. I, honestly, just can't stand to see it anymore.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When I said to be like them, I meant to be like homosexuals, for instance, who go around and either take umbrage, or demand, that they be included in every possible group, club, or activity. You are perfectly free and probably right to feel slighted and take umbrage at the exclusion of homeschoolers from this particular contest.

Okay. I know that you didn't mean to offend me with this. But, I do not think that I am doing what homosexuals do when they are excluded from anything (Besides that, I don't believe that they are excluded from anything unless they insist on making sure that their sexuality is known and seen by all.). I am not asking for special treatment by Subway, unlike homosexuals with everything on their agenda.

This is just the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I can't do anything about the home-schooling situation in Germany (The government is taking away the children of parents who home-school.) or California (The educational future of thousands of children are at stake there.). I cannot do anything about Christians being arrested (in the US) for street preaching or killed (in other countries) for converting from another religion. However, I can let Subway know that I am not happy with what they are doing in excluding home-schoolers.

On the other hand that is exactly what homosexuals would do if they were directly, or even if they "felt" as if they were being excluded from any contest of the same sort.

Actually, homosexuals would and have taken people to court over feeling that they were excluded. I'm not even coming close to that.

But life is not fair. Subway had a bad day and a poor set of parameters for their contest. So what, is my own point of view on this one. I respect your feelings and actions. The issue does not rise to my own personal sense of injustice that leads me to action. If it does for you, so be it.

I'm 39 years old. I know that life isn't fair. And, like you, I am just expressing my point of view here.

I am only trying to point out that is exactly how almost all liberals and homosexuals react, to any exclusion of themselves, that they see. It is just a contest, not an indictment of homeschoolers, IMHO.

Like I said, this is just one more thing on top of others that I've seen in the past few years.

We scarcely have men's clubs anymore, because they are "sexist" against women....... DUH!

:chuckle: There are several men's clubs in this area. I don't know how prevelant they are in other areas.

God forbid you publically try to prevent a homosexual from joining any group.

Those are things worth fighting for. I would rather spend my time excluding a sinful influence, than demanding the inclusion of an innocent one, in someone else's private affair, or business.

I've stepped up in situations that others thought were impossible or even stupid before for no other reason than I believed in what I was standing for. It's not the first time and more than likely won't be the last. ;) I'm pretty stubborn when I want to be.

Homosexuals have no right to demand that they be included in the private or religious affairs of others. Likewise homeschoolers have no right to demand that they be included in this contest. But if you want to boycott or protest Subway, by all means Godspeed to you. You have my blessings! I am just not going to do it with you. :)

And, that's all right by me. I'm not asking anyone to join me. :)

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay, guys. I have to step out of this conversation for tonight. Either I'm too tired to take everything the way it's meant or I'm too sensitive, over personal issues going on right now, to not take offense when none is meant. Hopefully, I will be doing a little better tomorrow with this.

Mr. 5020

Okay, guys. I have to step out of this conversation for tonight. Either I'm too tired to take everything the way it's meant or I'm too sensitive, over personal issues going on right now, to not take offense when none is meant. Hopefully, I will be doing a little better tomorrow with this.
:thumb:

Todah

None was meant! Have a peaceful night's sleep.

zoo22

Yeah, I agree with them too, but I have to say that the truth of the matter is that the designers of this contest probably just didn't think that through enough to come to that conclusion (and they'd probably have needed to write that into the rules to REQUIRE that a home-schooled grand prize winner would donate the athletic items to a larger group, even if it is his or her own homeschool group.).

I think this is more a case of ignorance than bias. I don't think Subway was trying to exclude home-schoolers as a matter of preference. That said, I do think that a number of tough letters sent to Subway could potentially bring them to the realization of how they could have accomodated HSers and may affect a change. I intend to write my own response suggesting just such a change.

They obviously did think it through. That's evidenced by the inclusion/exclusion of homeschooling at all.

If they wanted the equipment to go to a school (which they obviously do), by including home-schoolers, they would have had to include quite a bit of legal to ensure that it did. "Home-school" can manifest itself in many different ways. It would mean they would have to set various conditions for the prize...

.."We'll 'give' the grand prize to the winner, but if the winner doesn't have a school, they'll have to give the prize they won away (to a school within these defined parameters that Subway sets), unless [maybe] that home-schooler is a part of a home-school group that falls within certain parameters, that Subway(?) defines as 'school-worthy'"

Can of worms? Hmm. Not to mention that so many homeschooling parents have a vendetta against public school (Huh? Wha??) that it could very easily become a soapbox opportunity where Subway all of a sudden is sitting in the middle of some sort of "pro home-school/anti public school" thing. How about if DX's kid won? Anyone think it wouldn't be used as some sort of anti-public school soapbox opportunity?* Please. Look at it now.

And what legal complexities would be involved with the conditional prize? Would all winners be required to be able to donate to any school they wanted? Or would that just be home-schoolers? I don't think they could do that? So all winners would be allowed to choose the school that got the equipment. Except home-schoolers would have to. Maybe. Unless their home-school group met a certain criteria. And since the school that received the equipment might not be determined by the child's enrollment, would the kid get to decide where it was donated, or would the parents? I suppose the parents. How does the winning kid benefit? They get to have their parents give away the grand prize? That's cool, but not quite the same as playing with the new equipment you won for your school. (I guess they'd get the gift basket, though). And what would the minimum requirements be for a home-school group to actually receive the prize?

Just a few things that came to mind.

But I do agree Nori, it's too bad that home-shool kids aren't included. It seems like there could have been another contest or something, so all kids could be included. It must be frustrating sometimes. But I don't see this as an "attack." I think that given this contest, which is obviously meant as a way to donate to a school, it makes sense that home-schoolers might not be included.

*No offense intended DX :) ... Just a hunch :plain: