Subway (sandwich shops) against homeschoolers!

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Check this out. Subway is having a story contest, open to all kids PreK thru 6th grade, except homeschoolers. From the above link:

Contest is open only to legal US residents, over the age of 18 with children in either elementary, private or parochial schools that serve grades PreK-6. No home schools will be accepted.

I sent a comment, via their website e-mail form:

I have been a Subway customer for more than fifteen years. I thought I would always be one, since I enjoy freshly made sandwiches as opposed to hamburgers and/or tacos. You guys blew it with your writing contest for children.

I don't understand how you can disallow home-schoolers. I home-schooled my own daughter from second grade through twelfth grade. I'm guessing that you don't want public schools shown up by students who are taught correctly.

Anyway, you have lost one household as customers. And, I am spreading the news about your bias.

I am encouraging all of my home-schooling friends to let Subway know that they cannot discriminate against them.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Because of the grand prize involved, it only seems natural to exclude home schools. I doubt many home schools have room for $5000 of athletic equipment. The fact they recognize home schooling is a positive thing.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because of the grand prize involved, it only seems natural to exclude home schools. I doubt many home schools have room for $5000 of athletic equipment. The fact they recognize home schooling is a positive thing.

I found some blogs about this, too. They seem to think that, if a home-schooler had won, he/she could have donated the equipment to a park or a home-schooling group. I agree with them.

FellowServant

DMV Princess
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would donate it to the Christian school down the road. Some relatives of my mom own the franchise in town. I'm going to ask them about it.

assuranceagent

I found some blogs about this, too. They seem to think that, if a home-schooler had won, he/she could have donated the equipment to a park or a home-schooling group. I agree with them.

Yeah, I agree with them too, but I have to say that the truth of the matter is that the designers of this contest probably just didn't think that through enough to come to that conclusion (and they'd probably have needed to write that into the rules to REQUIRE that a home-schooled grand prize winner would donate the athletic items to a larger group, even if it is his or her own homeschool group.).

I think this is more a case of ignorance than bias. I don't think Subway was trying to exclude home-schoolers as a matter of preference. That said, I do think that a number of tough letters sent to Subway could potentially bring them to the realization of how they could have accomodated HSers and may affect a change. I intend to write my own response suggesting just such a change.

Adam

Hall of Fame
Check this out. Subway is having a story contest, open to all kids PreK thru 6th grade, except homeschoolers. From the above link:

I am encouraging all of my home-schooling friends to let Subway know that they cannot discriminate against them.
Interesting. The contest has been removed! EDIT TO ADD: Sorry, was at wrong link.

Move along folks, nothing to see here, nothing to see.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

Please post their response, if they have one. I would love to know how they are justifying this.

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber

I agree with Lucky. Yes, they could have let the kids donate it to a school or the YMCA or whatever, but in the light of the contest it just doesn't make sense.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree with Lucky. Yes, they could have let the kids donate it to a school or the YMCA or whatever, but in the light of the contest it just doesn't make sense.

Actually, if they're wanting to encourage kids to get active, someone donating it to a park or a church or a homeschooling group makes a lot of sense to me. If a home-schooler won, they could always tell Subway to donate it to a children's charity or a foster home or something similar.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Please post their response, if they have one. I would love to know how they are justifying this.

I will. So far, I've gotten the standard form mail: Thank you for your comments...yada, yada, yada...someone will reply within 5 to 10 business days.

C

cattyfan

from where did the contest link come? There's nothing about it on the official Subway website.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
from where did the contest link come? There's nothing about it on the official Subway website.

A friend sent it to me. I looked on the official site too. But, from what I understand, that's Subway's kids' site.

C

cattyfan

I checked the "Subway Freshbuzz" site...and it isn't there either.

It appears the contest may be gone.

It certainly bears further investigation.

By the way, Scholastic Books was in on this contest, as well. They were providing books to each entrant.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I checked the "Subway Freshbuzz" site...and it isn't there either.

It appears the contest may be gone.

It certainly bears further investigation.

By the way, Scholastic Books was in on this contest, as well. They were providing books to each entrant.

Try http://www.subwayfreshbuzz.com/kids/. Then, click on "Parents, Teachers, and Coaches" button. At the bottom of that page is a button for the contest. You have to enter your birthdate. But, it takes you to the page I linked to in the opening post.

Todah

It's their contest. They are the ones giving away free prizes. They can include, or exclude, anyone they want. It is still a free country in that regard! I admire generosity in any form.

We already have enough regulations on business practices. Let's not snub, or boycott a business for excluding us, from their generosity.

That's my take!

The parable of the "day laborers" comes to mind.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's their contest. They are the ones giving away free prizes. They can include, or exclude, anyone they want. It is still a free country in that regard! I admire generosity in any form.
That's true.

And are people also free to voice their displeasure over a stupid rule in their contest?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

True enough. But, on the same hand, it's a free country and I can choose to boycott them because they are excluding a group that I was part of for ten years. I've made it clear that I disapprove of their decision to exclude home-schoolers. Now, I have to stand by my decision.

We already have enough regulations on business practices. Let's not snub, or boycott a business for excluding us, from their generosity.

That's my take!

The parable of the "day laborers" comes to mind.

Who said anything about not having enough regulations? I don't want a new law passed to make them include home-schoolers. I'm hoping that enough home-schoolers agree with me and that we can show Subway that a good portion of their customer base is being excluded from this contest when they exclude home-schoolers. I'd like to see them change their minds without any further government interference.

Todah

ebenz47037;1763880 Who said anything about not having enough regulations? I don't want a new law passed to make them include home-schoolers. I'm hoping that enough home-schoolers agree with me and that we can show Subway that a good portion of their customer base is being excluded from this contest when they exclude home-schoolers. I'd like to see them change their minds without any further government interference.[/QUOTE said:
That was not my point either! I was looking at it solely from "their" point of view. As a matter of business and survival, you have to keep a slew of government regulations. Then they try to do something "nice" , and be "generous" to a select group of people, Kthru 6th, public and parochial school children.

I say let them do it, and don't give them any grief at all, that's what the government beauraucrats and homosexuals are for, and are so good at.

Let's not be like them.

I think they could legally have a contest, that could exclude Christians, and males, just as well?

I also think you could "legally" have a contest that could exclude homosexuals and females??? But then the outcry would be ear shattering, and the government would step in.