Speaking in Tongues a Stupid Practice and Probably "Annoys God."

Interplanner

These signs will follow those who believe...they shall speak with other tongues. Put that in yer pipe and smoke it.

That's a bit closer to what was intended, but the missing element would be that people from Judaism need to be shown that God's mission was to go to the nations.

So Totton, when your wife does that, are there?--are there followers of Judaism who do not think God is on a mission to the nations with the Gospel of Christ (they may think He is on a mission to the nations with the Law, both moral and ceremonial)? Because that is what Paul says it was for (I Cor 14), what Acts says it was for in 2 and 11.

I assume that she was not a Chinese speaker to begin with. But what I'm saying explains why there has been a place for Bible translation and no divine help came. As early as the Cyrillic brothers who evangelized eastern Europe from Greece to Moscow and back. They even had to form a language to commicate which is why Russian is so similar in appearance to Greek. The written language itself was the miracle, but is not what happened in Acts 2, 11 or what Paul meant in I Cor 14, when there were people from Judaism who needed to see it in action.

The issue is never treated completely until the circle is brought back to the Christian mission to the nations and whether followers of Judaism 'get it.'

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
That's a bit closer to what was intended, but the missing element would be that people from Judaism need to be shown that God's mission was to go to the nations.

So Totton, when your wife does that, are there?--are there followers of Judaism who do not think God is on a mission to the nations with the Gospel of Christ (they may think He is on a mission to the nations with the Law, both moral and ceremonial)? Because that is what Paul says it was for (I Cor 14), what Acts says it was for in 2 and 11.

I assume that she was not a Chinese speaker to begin with. But what I'm saying explains why there has been a place for Bible translation and no divine help came. As early as the Cyrillic brothers who evangelized eastern Europe from Greece to Moscow and back. They even had to form a language to commicate which is why Russian is so similar in appearance to Greek. The written language itself was the miracle, but is not what happened in Acts 2, 11 or what Paul meant in I Cor 14, when there were people from Judaism who needed to see it in action.

The issue is never treated completely until the circle is brought back to the Christian mission to the nations and whether followers of Judaism 'get it.'

Jesus said of the Jews "an evil and adulterous generation seeketh a sign and no sign shall be given it"

These signs shall follow them that BELIEVE, so tongues are for believers not for unbelievers...so also Paul teaches.

Paul taught that tongues when coupled with the gift of interpretation was for edification...to profit withal.

The Jews seek for a sign [and none shall be given them] and Greeks seek after wisdom but we preach Christ crucified the power of God.

oatmeal

You can quote the scripture all you want to justify your practice. It is not rightly divided, meaning it does not harmonize with Jesus' teachings.

Christianity is all about Jesus' teachings. He taught us perfectly how to love God and one another.

If you don't think Jesus was perfect teacher of love, I cannot help you. It is your problem.

All denominations has gimmicky doctrines. Some have many and some are less. Speaking in tongue is just another one of them.

good day.

Evidently, you have not read Mark 16:17, words that Jesus spoke.

There are those "Pentecostals" who have outrageously abused the manifestation of speaking in tongues.

For those who do not know that they do abuse it, their ungodly antics would tend to freak people out and conclude that speaking in tongues is not for them.

However, we must separate the baby from the bath water.

We do not throw out the scriptures because some have not lived up to all its teachings do we?

We do not say marriage is a stupid practice and annoys God because many get divorced.

We do not say that keeping God's commandments is wrong because some people mock God and completely reject His word.

We do not throw out Jesus' teachings just because he died a criminal's death.

We do not throw out the Psalms because David was a polygamist which violates God's one husband one wife commandment.

Speaking in tongues is prayer, we do not pray out loud in public, but we do in a meeting of believers, but we can pray to God within ourselves all we want to. I Corinthians 14:14-15

I Corinthians 12-14 gives great detailed instructions on the use of the manifestations of speaking in tongues, the interpretation of tongues and prophecy.

Most "Pentecostals" do not bother with learning those truths to their detriment for their ungodly practices while speaking in tongues mocks God and the manifestations that God enabled believers to do and profit by. I Corinthians 12:7-11

Interplanner

Jesus said of the Jews "an evil and adulterous generation seeketh a sign and no sign shall be given it"

These signs shall follow them that BELIEVE, so tongues are for believers not for unbelievers...so also Paul teaches.

Paul taught that tongues when coupled with the gift of interpretation was for edification...to profit withal.

The Jews seek for a sign [and none shall be given them] and Greeks seek after wisdom but we preach Christ crucified the power of God.

He said it was a sign for unbelievers (14:22), and the quote from Isaiah and the events of Acts (Peter's doubts) means it is for those raised in Judaism.

The issue is not treated properly until it is related to unbelieving Judaism followers who need to see that God really was going to the nations with the message of Christ.

Whatever variation there was at Corinth does not matter; Paul still corrects them with the above treatment.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
He said it was a sign for unbelievers (14:22), and the quote from Isaiah and the events of Acts (Peter's doubts) means it is for those raised in Judaism.

The issue is not treated properly until it is related to unbelieving Judaism followers who need to see that God really was going to the nations with the message of Christ.

Whatever variation there was at Corinth does not matter; Paul still corrects them with the above treatment.

So if there are still any unbelievers, any unbelieving Jews....they still need a sign right?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Look at tongue speaking evangelists. they are shameless. And they have millions of followers.

There are tons of speaking in tongue mega churches in my neighborhood.

That's because they are soulwinners...a sure sign that God is in it.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I would like to add that one is John Hagee's church who claims their church is non-denominational. The other one is Assembly of God.

Those two pastors are divorcees.

I was very new believer when I joined their churches.

I believe tongue speacking churches are one of the most disgraceful denomination.

Shameless liar

There is not one line of Pentecostal doctrine you agree with.

You do not believe the Person of the Holy Spirit
You do not believe Christ is God.

Why do you tell such lies?

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Shameless liar

There is not one line of Pentecostal doctrine you agree with.

You do not believe the Person of the Holy Spirit
You do not believe Christ is God.

Why do you tell such lies?

T/L, this what I think about lies and the Holy Spirit

When they begin to speak against the Holy Spirit, I believe they are walking on dangerous ground, believer and non-believer alike, we read in --

Matthew 12:32 "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come."

It matters not what I say, but what Jesus said.

RBBI

As usual, the old saying that those that CAN'T, teach, is alive and well. The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord. The tongues of FIRE come upon the head to LIGHT THE CANDLE.

It was not an option, to those that think they are wiser than HaShem. It's part of Yeshua reversing the curses, including the one about confusing the languages. Tongues is the spirit of man praying while under the authority of the Holy Spirit, who prays through the man.

Rivers of living water come out of his belly, because the spirit is as a cistern, and eventually waters in cistern become stagnant and dead, if they are not moving.

As for the whole interpreter argument, there is a prayer language which EVERY believer is entitled to as part of the covenant, but there is ALSO a GIFT OF TONGUES AND INTERPRETATION. Not the same thing, nor does it work the same way.

It is the PUBLIC gift, that wins souls, because the interpretation given is usually for that body, or for an individual in the body, or even for a first time visitor as I saw it once. She was from the Ukraine, visiting, and a pastor who was also visiting that church, got the tongues and interpretation. She went up to him later and asked him if he had spent time in the Ukraine, because he was speaking her dialect, in the interpretation. THAT'S what shakes people up and wins souls.

No good man would have a child then never speak to it again. Is man more righteous than HaShem? Of course not. He's not dumb, He still speaks today.

But those that are blinded by Satan do Satan's works, making Him deaf, dumb, blind, and lame, just like they are. They are just like Adamah in the garden, running from the voice of HaShem, which is why they don't want Him to speak and uncover their sins. Peace

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
As usual, the old saying that those that CAN'T, teach, is alive and well. The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord. The tongues of FIRE come upon the head to LIGHT THE CANDLE.

It was not an option, to those that think they are wiser than HaShem. It's part of Yeshua reversing the curses, including the one about confusing the languages. Tongues is the spirit of man praying while under the authority of the Holy Spirit, who prays through the man.

Rivers of living water come out of his belly, because the spirit is as a cistern, and eventually waters in cistern become stagnant and dead, if they are not moving.

Amen.

When heart, mind and spirit are in the current of God....naturally there is an overflow of creative expression (logos) rising from one's spirit to the great infinite Spirit.

My commentary here holds :)

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Nobody in the 1st World is speaking real tongues. This society is so far away from the original Christians who did such that it's not even amusing to see others do it.

It's rather frustrating, seeing modern gentry try to do what the poor and persecuted did in the first centuries, when God was powerfully and explicitly among them. Peter cast out demons with his shadow, now a priest often kills the possessed- these things simply aren't common among gentry today.

We all know they are lying to themselves and then lying to other people about it, making spectacles of their selves. And, that is, by definition, blasphemy.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nobody in the 1st World is speaking real tongues. This society is so far away from the original Christians who did such that it's not even amusing to see others do it.

It's rather frustrating, seeing modern gentry try to do what the poor and persecuted did in the first centuries, when God was powerfully and explicitly among them. Peter cast out demons with his shadow, now a priest often kills the possessed- these things simply aren't common among gentry today.

We all know they are lying to themselves and then lying to other people about it, making spectacles of their selves. And, that is, by definition, blasphemy.

The upper room experience.
Unknown tongues (language)

These things are not common today.
Something else may be being sought.

It has been said that if you say it long enough them it not happen.

Some say it ceased around Acts 8-9. I've not been given a chapter or verse on the ceasing matter that would bear record to it ceasing.

I'm going to do some further checking on the matter.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

We are not afraid to be made spectacles.....you are of the same frame of mind as the 1st century scoffers. When they saw and heard the disciples they laughed and said they were drunk.

So WE are among those who do speak with tongues and YOU are among the mockers

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
We are not afraid to be made spectacles.....you are of the same frame of mind as the 1st century scoffers. When they saw and heard the disciples they laughed and said they were drunk.

So WE are among those who do speak with tongues and YOU are among the mockers

No, I'm just right.

A person who speaks real tongues wouldn't just go home and watch football. The early Christians were receiving miracles profound enough for them to take crucifixion with confidence, and tongues were among them.

People in the 1st World aren't experiencing that. Taking decorations off of Starbucks cups is a persecution to Christians now, you think God is really performing these things?

RBBI

Blasphemy is calling the works of the Spirit, the works of the devil. You seem to be cruising along the edge of that cliff. Stiff necked beasts, speaking about that which they know not. Peace

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Blasphemy is calling the works of the Spirit, the works of the devil. You seem to cruising along the edge of that cliff. Peace

Rejecting the notion of people speaking in tongues is not 'blasphemy of the Spirit'. Speaking in tongues largely went out in the 1st centuries and was resurrected by modern, charismatic eccentricity.

If you aren't going through Stigmata or otherwise a profound miracle, don't tell me I'm essentially going to Hell for not believing that a bunch of oddballs are speaking in tongues. The early Christians were saturated by the Spirit, as Christ was just around. These miracles had them be crucified with confidence. Spare me the idea that this sort of profoundness is happening in all these churches.

RBBI

The upper room experience.
Unknown tongues (language)

These things are not common today.
Something else may be being sought.

It has been said that if you say it long enough them it not happen.

Some say it ceased around Acts 8-9. I've not been given a chapter or verse on the ceasing matter that would bear record to it ceasing.

I'm going to do some further checking on the matter.

Check all you want. It didn't cease, it says the gift is to all those the Lord shall call, even to those that are afar off. You're called, aren't you???

As further proof it didn't, that would mean there that HaShem is a respecter of persons, having parts of covenant for the first century Christians, and less for us. He's not.

Ignorance, unbelief, fear, unforgiveness, and pride. These are what stop tongues from manifesting; not that it "ceased". Peace