Spammers wasteland

Spammers wasteland

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
True Christian: Why did the chicken cross the road?

Despotic Delusional Dispensationalist: Why?

True Christian: To get to the lying idiot's house.

Despotic Delusional Dispensationalist: Oh.

True Christian: Knock, knock.

Despotic Delusional Dispensationalist: Who's there?

True Christian: The chicken.

Despotic Delusional Dispensationalist: Hey....

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
True Christian: Why did the chicken cross the road?

Despotic Delusional Dispensationalist: Why?

True Christian: To get to the lying idiot's house.

Despotic Delusional Dispensationalist: Oh.

True Christian: Knock, knock.

Despotic Delusional Dispensationalist: Who's there?

True Christian: The chicken.

Despotic Delusional Dispensationalist: Hey....

Hate to be the one to say it, but, it's not funny/witty. I think it best for you to keep the humor/wit to the professionals and do what you do best: NOTHING!

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I missed it, what was the verdict on IP Address-Gate?
​On something like that verdict is more cumulative. It would be an IP and behavior match. There are so many matching hits on the IP and the way he misuses scriptures to clobber female members with whom he disagrees puts him under suspicion.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Would a Calvinist bother to diet? If you get fat, it was preordained by God. Wouldn't watching your weight be answering back to God?
Would a Calvinist bother to do anything? Whatever happens, it was preordained by God. Wouldn't doing anything, be answering back to God?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
​On something like that verdict is more cumulative. It would be an IP and behavior match. There are so many matching hits on the IP and the way he misuses scriptures to clobber female members with whom he disagrees puts him under suspicion.

I cannot tell you how many times scripture has been abused to clobber me due to my being a female Calvinist.

IMO, this scrutiny and suspicion should be applied to all the males dealing with females.

I have been subjected to very harsh and insulting name calling from a variety of men who disagree with my theological views, for years. John W has crossed the line a few times and been banned for so doing, but there are quite a few others that are allowed to harass me in threads and PM's with impunity and almost without ceasing.

And as far as I have ever read, PPS has never used the language and vitriol against women like what has come my way for years from other men.

IOW's, when it comes to accusations and actual bans, your membership should be treated all the same by the mods, with no double standards or favoritism shown.

And this is not to tell you how to do your job. I KNOW what a hard task it is. I simply think all would benefit from more respect for others, and improvements will only happen, if rudeness is equally dealt with and rules are enforced.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Would a Calvinist bother to do anything? Whatever happens, it was preordained by God. Wouldn't doing anything, be answering back to God?

Remarks such as you refer to, only reveals the poster has misconceptions about the doctrine of predestination. He speaks of fatalism not Calvinism.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I disagree.

Fatalism is an ungodly philosophy, only.

Calvinism ("The Doctrines of Grace")is a Systematic System of theology developed from Holy Scripture, alone.
Which makes an utterly and entirely sovereign God, which excludes true human volition, its centerpiece.

It's fatalism. It's Christian fatalism, I grant you, but it's fatalism.

If, you really believe it.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
John W has crossed the line a few times and been banned for so doing, but there are quite a few others that are allowed to harass me in threads and PM's with impunity and almost without ceasing.

​This goes for anyone, if you get trolling PM's please report them. It really downgrades the TOL experience when you are trolled in the PM box. I as a mod tend to come down hard on anyone who uses the PM system to troll TOL members. They think they can get away with more if they be a troll in private.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Which makes an utterly and entirely sovereign God, which excludes true human volition, its centerpiece.

It's fatalism. It's Christian fatalism, I grant you, but it's fatalism.

If, you really believe it.

I disagree.

It misrepresents Calvinism to claim that we rule out human volition and accountability. Man was created in the image of God, and was enabled with intellectual agency (a will) to choose to live according to God's moral standards, or not and die.

Since the fall, mankind still possesses moral agency (ability to choose) but due to the corruption of human nature, man can only choose to sin. There is no virtue left inherent to his being. Luther called it "the bondage of the will."

Thus, the willfulness of men is not free. All men are enslaved to serving sin, death, and the devil . . volitionally. It is the only thing they will and can choose to do. Romans 3:9-20

The will of man is only freed, through faith in Jesus Christ. John 8:34-36 Faith in His word and works, truly sets the will of man free to be able to volitionally serve righteousness.

This is how the first Adam was accountable to live, and the last Adam has set sinners free to please God again, through faith. Hebrews 11:6

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I disagree.

It misrepresents Calvinism to claim that we rule out human volition and accountability. Man was created in the image of God, and was enabled with intellectual agency (a will) to choose to live according to God's moral standards, or not and die.

Since the fall, mankind still possesses moral agency (ability to choose) but due to the corruption of human nature, man can only choose to sin. There is no virtue left inherent to his being. Luther called it "the bondage of the will."

Thus, the willfulness of men is not free. All men are enslaved to serving sin, death, and the devil . . volitionally. It is the only thing they will and can choose to do. Romans 3:9-20

The will of man is only freed, through faith in Jesus Christ. John 8:34-36 Faith in His word and works, truly sets the will of man free to be able to volitionally serve righteousness.

This is how the first Adam was accountable to live, and the last Adam has set sinners free to please God again, through faith. Hebrews 11:6
Tell me how the following sits with you:
Spoiler
303 The witness of Scripture is unanimous that the solicitude of divine providence is concrete and immediate; God cares for all, from the least things to the great events of the world and its history. The sacred books powerfully affirm God's absolute sovereignty over the course of events: "Our God is in the heavens; he does whatever he pleases." And so it is with Christ, "who opens and no one shall shut, who shuts and no one opens". As the book of Proverbs states: "Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will be established."
Spoiler
304 And so we see the Holy Spirit, the principal author of Sacred Scripture, often attributing actions to God without mentioning any secondary causes. This is not a "primitive mode of speech", but a profound way of recalling God's primacy and absolute Lordship over history and the world, and so of educating his people to trust in him. The prayer of the Psalms is the great school of this trust.
Spoiler
Providence and secondary causes
Spoiler
306 God is the sovereign master of his plan. But to carry it out he also makes use of his creatures' co-operation. This use is not a sign of weakness, but rather a token of almighty God's greatness and goodness. For God grants his creatures not only their existence, but also the dignity of acting on their own, of being causes and principles for each other, and thus of co-operating in the accomplishment of his plan.
Spoiler
307 To human beings God even gives the power of freely sharing in his providence by entrusting them with the responsibility of "subduing" the earth and having dominion over it. God thus enables men to be intelligent and free causes in order to complete the work of creation, to perfect its harmony for their own good and that of their neighbors. Though often unconscious collaborators with God's will, they can also enter deliberately into the divine plan by their actions, their prayers and their sufferings. They then fully become "God's fellow workers" and co-workers for his kingdom.
Spoiler
308 The truth that God is at work in all the actions of his creatures is inseparable from faith in God the Creator. God is the first cause who operates in and through secondary causes: "For God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." Far from diminishing the creature's dignity, this truth enhances it. Drawn from nothingness by God's power, wisdom and goodness, it can do nothing if it is cut off from its origin, for "without a Creator the creature vanishes." Still less can a creature attain its ultimate end without the help of God's grace.
I'm asking because as a former Calvinist myself, I find our magisterium's treatment of God's sovereignty to be biblical, accurate and satisfying.

Shasta

Pre-determinism was not part of mainstream Christian teaching until Augustine brought it into the Church and by force of persecution demanded that it be taught. Before his conversion Augustine had been a member of a Gnostic sect called Manichaeism which taught that mankind was so utterly ruined as to be powerless to choose either good or evil. This is where he got the idea. As a philosopher (rather than an exegete) he had always been involved with trying to solve the problem of good and evil and he saw Gnosticism as the way. As a believer he simply attached scriptures to the doctrine to Christianize it.

In the first three to four centuries of the Church the Greek "fathers" of the Church (those generations who succeeded the Apostles) uniformly taught that man had a volition and could exercise it to submit to or resist the Holy Spirit's call. Augustine was not aware of the teachings of his Greek predecessors because he could not easily read the Greek language. Calvin was a devotee of Augustine and quoted him extensively in his Institutes. Luther was an Augustinian monk before his conversion. Their predisposition to believe Augustine is what brought the ideas of pre-determinism into the Reformed/Evangelical movement.

The length of time this doctrine has been around is not relevant seeing that we are told not to defend the precepts of the Reformed Church (or any other particular sect) but "the faith once for all delivered to the saints." The strong consensus of the Early Church in this matter provides evidence that pre-determinism (whether it is in a Pagan or Christianized form) is not a historical part of the faith.

musterion

​That is not acceptable either. Folks are supposed to respect their elders.

I agree but am asking your forgiveness on the following.

Nang acts like no aged person of ANY belief persuasion that I have ever met in my nearly 50 years on this planet. None of them whine about their (purported) age as an excuse for losing fights that they started, as Nang does. They have too much self-respect and wisdom to even start such fights in the first place. But to then whine about it when they lose? To quote Nang..."bah."

On top of that, a few years back Nang even claimed she's picked on because she's a woman, after once again losing disputes that SHE chose to start with men.

Sorry, it's looks to me like an act, a scam.

But if an independent authority can somehow verify first-hand proof that Nang is indeed the elderly lady she says she is, I might believe it.

Until then, I don't buy it. She just does not act like a self-respecting, mature elderly lady, and with no proof that she is one, I won't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.