Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

cdh, I don't homeschool because of the secular humanist education my daughter would get if she were in public school. Read post number 23 in this thread to see my reasons for homeschooling. It started out having absolutely nothing to do with my religion.

Originally posted by cur_deus_homo

Any damage done is the responsibility of Christian parents who want to shelter their children from the real world, which is not Christian, and it is also their responsibility because many Christian parents do a horrible job discipling their children and training them in the ways of righteousness, including members of the SBC.

Yes. And, the responsibility for the damage that occurs because of the children being in public school falls on the parents who choose to send them there. Parents, in general, are in trouble nowadays. Leave off religion for a minute. The government now tells us that we cannot physically discipline our children. When I was growing up, I knew that if I did something wrong, I would have to face my parents and more than likely get a spanking. Now, kids don't have to worry about that because the schools are teaching them, "If anyone, including your parents, ever hits you, call the police." That doesn't sound right to me. I have never beaten my daughter. But, I have spanked her for doing what she knew was wrong.

Training our children in the ways of righteousness includes teaching them that there are consequences for making the decision to do something that they know is wrong. In today's society, it is almost possible to teach our children that.

If we Christians were truly raising strong, mature Christian children, grounded in faith in Jesus, we wouldn't have to worry about the Secular Humanist Devil corrupting our children as you suggest. Christians would be influencing the public arena in positive ways instead of claiming that some kind of retreat to the ghetto of the "church" is the solution. Such a retreat is anti-Christ and anti-Great Commission.

That's true for a lot of people. But, it's not true for everyone. The week after I decided to homeschool my daughter, her teacher's ex-husband came to the school with a gun and held the class hostage because he wanted his wife to come back to him. I didn't live in a huge city where you expect to see people bring guns to school. That event there, told me that I had made the right decision for my daughter, even though I made the decision based solely on our academic situation. About a year or so ago, my sister sent me a newspaper article about the high school my daughter would have attended next year if I had stayed in California and decided to continue with public school. Fifteen percent of the female students were pregnant, two percent of the students had one STD or another, forty-three percent of the senior class could not pass a reading proficiency test, and four female teachers had been raped by students. Does that sound like a place where Christian parents should put their children? Should I place my daughter's education in the hands of people who cannot teach children to read in seventeen years? Should I place my daughter's safety in the hands of people who cannot protect their own employees?

I say no. My daughter is not isolated from the world. And, neither is any homeschooled child that I've ever met. From my own experience, homeschooled children tend to be better prepared for real life after their education. I say that homeschooled children are better off because their parents take an active role in their everyday lives and make sure that they are safe.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Originally posted by ebenz47037
When I was growing up, I knew that if I did something wrong, I would have to face my parents and more than likely get a spanking.
Lucky you.

For me, it was bruised ribs, or a piece of kitchenware hurtling toward my skull...

On Fire

Originally posted by Gerald

Lucky you.

For me, it was bruised ribs, or a piece of kitchenware hurtling toward my skull...

This is the breakthrough I've been waiting for. Explains a lot.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Somebody has to evangelize the public schools. Who's going to do it? I did, while I was there.

CryTears

BANNED
Banned
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Lucky you.

are you just kidding Gerald? Was your mom that much of a witch?
or are you serious?
That brings up one problem with homeschooled children. If they had abusive parents they would not have the 8 hour reprieve of school. :cry:

CryTears

BANNED
Banned
Bravo to the Souther Baptists!

Until people pull their children out of school and the schools go bankcrupt then will they get the message.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Originally posted by CryTears
are you just kidding Gerald? Was your mom that much of a witch?
or are you serious?
I joke about many things, but that is not one of them.

Christine

Originally posted by lighthouse

Somebody has to evangelize the public schools. Who's going to do it? I did, while I was there.
Why do the public schools need evanglelized? And even if they did (which I doubt) why should it be the job of inexperienced children?

Art Deco

Originally posted by cur_deus_homo

Any damage done is the responsibility of Christian parents who want to shelter their children from the real world, which is not Christian, and it is also their responsibility because many Christian parents do a horrible job discipling their children and training them in the ways of righteousness, including members of the SBC.

If we Christians were truly raising strong, mature Christian children, grounded in faith in Jesus, we wouldn't have to worry about the Secular Humanist Devil corrupting our children as you suggest. Christians would be influencing the public arena in positive ways instead of claiming that some kind of retreat to the ghetto of the "church" is the solution. Such a retreat is anti-Christ and anti-Great Commission.

There is much truth to what you say, however, far from retreating to the shelter of the Church as you suggest, I see this "Christian Education Resolution" by the SBC as a call to arms and frontal attack on the purveyor of Secular Humanism, (Public Schools).

This may be the vanguard of a new spiritual revival. God does answer prayers.

Gerald

Resident Fiend

Originally posted by Art Deco
This may be the vanguard of a new spiritual revival. God does answer prayers.
Well, I know some people's prayers haven't been answered, because I'm still drawing breath...:chuckle:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Lets start a "Joan Crawford Moms" thread. I want to talk about the subject.

Do it yourself. It's a subject I don't like to talk about.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I was talking to Gerald. Not you. Did I accidently post on your post?

No. Sorry. I had just got up when I posted that. And, I had a bad night. I didn't sleep much. And, what little bit I did sleep was full of nightmares.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:thumb:

I did that the other day, LUCKILY I have forgotten what the nightmare was.

My nightmares tend to be either about my daughter or about my childhood.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by ebenz47037
My nightmares tend to be either about my daughter or about my childhood.
I never remember my dreams; I've occasionally wondered if I dream at all.

I figure I must, because everybody else does...

And, regarding Joan Crawford-oids, I think I shall opt out of that discussion.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

And, regarding Joan Crawford-oids, I think I shall opt out of that discussion.

Don't blame you one bit.

cur_deus_homo

Anachronism and Great Commission

Anachronism and Great Commission

Originally posted by Dread Helm

So you if living in Israel during the Biblical times, you would send your kids to the Philistine school down the road?
What an anachronism!
BTW: The Great Commission was for Israel, not the Body.
So, as a gentile believer I am not commissioned by Jesus at the end of Matthew's gospel to preach the Gospel to all the nations? :think: