Some Anti Name-Calling Folks...

Ninjashadow

I agree with you. I see people like Ann Coulter go out and get on the case of liberals for name calling and then turn around and do the same thing. However, I really don't see that Chileice was name calling. It seems, and if I'm wrong I apologize, that you are attempting to make a word seem malicious that is not.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Agape4Robin said:
Standard procedure? So, again, you consider yourself to be in the ranks of those?
:doh: That's not the point. I'm asking you if you think only God can judge or call names.

Agape4Robin

wholearmor said:
Then in essence you're saying anyone engaging in that type of dialogue is a time-waster. You, Agape4Robin, are a name-caller whether you'll ever admit it or not.
You're not a time waster?
I am....I have wasted alot of time.....so what? How is that derogatory or demeaning?

Agape4Robin

Imrahil said:
:doh: That's not the point. I'm asking you if you think only God can judge or call names.
That is the point.......
Let me put it this way...... I don't see your name listed as any one of the authors of the bible.

wholearmor

ninjashadow said:
I agree with you. I see people like Ann Coulter go out and get on the case of liberals for name calling and then turn around and do the same thing. However, I really don't see that Chileice was name calling. It seems, and if I'm wrong I apologize, that you are attempting to make a word seem malicious that is not.

If it wasn't meant to be malicious, then he shouldn't have used it in that context especially when he was trying to get the point across that name calling is wrong. He, in fact, called name callers a name.

Chileice

wholearmor said:
What I'm trying to get across is so many people do the very same thing they accuse others of doing and then dance around it with an excuse when they're called on it as Cheliece did. I'm also trying to get the point across that it's almost if not actually impossible to correct or judge someone without some sort of name calling.

Name calling is name calling.

But WA, name calling is usually a directed action. It is usually intended to hurt and to be inflammatory. Now if I describe a person who is a drug-addict as a drug-addict, that is not name-calling. However, if my intent is to shame that person and I call directly to his face and say, "you no good drug-addict", I am name-calling. I think it is a matter of tenor and what is in the heart. I had NO intent of finger-pointing or telling anyone they were "small" people. I'm not sure if it would have sounded better to say "ignoble". I'm not sure how I could have described what I wanted to say without using some word. But my point was certainly not to name-call. The very post itself was just a short simple statement about the uselessness of name-calling. I also wanted to point out that it is harmful to those who do it. It makes them appear petty and small. Now they may not really be that way. But it is hard not to assume that when they name-call.

I am not trying to make an excuse for myself. In fact I was quick to apologize and stand by that apology if someone was indeed offended. I appreciate Ninjashadow's understanding of my words and I hope that you will also accept them in the tone they were written.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Agape4Robin said:
That is the point.......
Let me put it this way...... I don't see your name listed as any one of the authors of the bible.
Um, that's another dodge. (Stephen wasn't an author either.) Ok, since you don't seem to like that question, can we see some Scripture for your stance?

wholearmor

Agape4Robin said:
You're not a time waster?
I am....I have wasted alot of time.....so what? How is that derogatory or demeaning?

You tell me what a husband would think it means if his wife said, "You are such a time waster sitting there doing nothing." He'd definitely feel it was intended to be derogatory and demeaning.

Agape4Robin

Imrahil said:
Um, that's another dodge. (Stephen wasn't an author either.) Ok, since you don't seem to like that question, can we see some Scripture for your stance?
allow me to re-phrase that for you. I don't seem to recall seeing your name listed in the bible as an apostle or a prophet.

Agape4Robin

wholearmor said:
You tell me what a husband would think it means if his wife said, "You are such a time waster sitting there doing nothing." He'd definitely feel it was intended to be derogatory and demeaning.
derogatory and demeaning show intent to harm with words, not mere miscommunication, like what seems to be happening here. If I meant to be inflammatory I would have said that you were a waste of time....see the difference?

wholearmor

Chileice said:
But WA, name calling is usually a directed action. It is usually intended to hurt and to be inflammatory. Now if I describe a person who is a drug-addict as a drug-addict, that is not name-calling. However, if my intent is to shame that person and I call directly to his face and say, "you no good drug-addict", I am name-calling. I think it is a matter of tenor and what is in the heart. I had NO intent of finger-pointing or telling anyone they were "small" people. I'm not sure if it would have sounded better to say "ignoble". I'm not sure how I could have described what I wanted to say without using some word. But my point was certainly not to name-call. The very post itself was just a short simple statement about the uselessness of name-calling. I also wanted to point out that it is harmful to those who do it. It makes them appear petty and small. Now they may not really be that way. But it is hard not to assume that when they name-call.

I am not trying to make an excuse for myself. In fact I was quick to apologize and stand by that apology if someone was indeed offended. I appreciate Ninjashadow's understanding of my words and I hope that you will also accept them in the tone they were written.

I won't because it was a hypocritical statement. You actually not only called name callers small but unintelligent as well.

Again, I'm pointing out that judging is OK but not when you judge and then say you're not judging. It's the same with name calling. You cannot judge someone for name calling without name calling.

wholearmor

Agape4Robin said:
derogatory and demeaning show intent to harm with words, not mere miscommunication, like what seems to be happening here. If I meant to be inflammatory I would have said that you were a waste of time....see the difference?

I'm not saying you're calling anyone a waste of time, you called name callers time wasters. If I'm a name caller, then you called me a time waster which means you called me a name.

Ninjashadow

wholearmor said:
If it wasn't meant to be malicious, then he shouldn't have used it in that context especially when he was trying to get the point across that name calling is wrong. He, in fact, called name callers a name.

Actually, he in fact did not. The fact that you say he did, does not make it so, nor does that fact that I say he didn't. The facts are that he did not intend to name call and did not use the word in name calling. Had he intended it as such, then yes it would be name calling.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Agape4Robin said:
allow me to re-phrase that for you. I don't seem to recall seeing your name listed in the bible as an apostle or a prophet.
We seem to be going through this several times. Let's simplify this,

So, you have the mind of Christ?
Why, yes I do.
His judgements were righteous and divine, (are yours?) that is why he warns us not to judge.
Where?

When you call someone a name, you make a judgement about them that is meant to demean and be derogatory.
So Christ must have been about the meanest guy in history right?

I don't seem to recall seeing your name listed in the bible as an apostle or a prophet.

Correct, Imrahil was the Prince of Dol-Amroth which is in GOndor and therefore unrelated to Israel.

Agape4Robin

wholearmor said:
I'm not saying you're calling anyone a waste of time, you called name callers time wasters. If I'm a name caller, then you called me a time waster which means you called me a name.
You're making a mountain out of a mole hill!

Chileice

wholearmor said:
I won't because it was a hypocritical statement. You actually not only called name callers small but unintelligent as well.

Again, I'm pointing out that judging is OK but not when you judge and then say you're not judging. It's the same with name calling. You cannot judge someone for name calling without name calling.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think it IS a necessary part of judging. Perhaps others will prove me wrong. I hope not, as I find the idea of HAVING to be a name-caller quite distasteful.

wholearmor

ninjashadow said:
Actually, he in fact did not. The fact that you say he did, does not make it so, nor does that fact that I say he didn't. The facts are that he did not intend to name call and did not use the word in name calling. Had he intended it as such, then yes it would be name calling.

He said, "They are small." He called them small. He called them a name.

wholearmor

Chileice said:
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think it IS a necessary part of judging. Perhaps others will prove me wrong. I hope not, as I find the idea of HAVING to be a name-caller quite distasteful.

One cannot judge another without calling them a name either directly or indirectly. It's impossible.

Chileice

wholearmor said:
He said, "They are small." He called them small. He called them a name.

Maybe as a person who says you must name-call, you took it as such. There is very little I can do about that. I would not be able to communicate at all without possibly offending you. All I can say is that it is not my intention. What you perceive is beyond my ability to control.