Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
kenny J said:
Light,

It would help me to understand what do you mean by this statement?

ken
Time is not dimensional. One cannot exist outside of it. In fact, one cannot exist within it. Time is merely a concept, and not someting solid, or tangible.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
Like an instant?:rotfl:

Dude, seriously, how could you buy this? Infinity is a pointless word that describes a concept that isn't even provable. God experiences the passage of time just as we do, and there is no Biblical evidence to the contrary. In fact, all Biblical evidence points to God experiencing it as we do.
God has no beginning right? If that is true that God has existed inifinitely into the past and will exist infinitely into the future. He has no beginning and no end.

If that is true and God experiences time as we do, the time prior to God creating the earth is still infinite right? There is no beginning. If God has no beginning you cannot assign a length of time from that and when the earth was created. How can you experience an infinite amount of time?

Just out of curiosity, and this is simply speculation I know, but what do you think God was doing during all that time?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
God has no beginning right? If that is true that God has existed inifinitely into the past and will exist infinitely into the future. He has no beginning and no end.
Who says? God is eternal, but infinity isn't real.

If that is true and God experiences time as we do, the time prior to God creating the earth is still infinite right? There is no beginning. If God has no beginning you cannot assign a length of time from that and when the earth was created. How can you experience an infinite amount of time?
Precisely my point.

Just out of curiosity, and this is simply speculation I know, but what do you think God was doing during all that time?
Who knows?

2ephesians8

Lighthouse said:
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness unto him; neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."
-1 Corinthians 2:14​

:thumb:

Thanks for the reminder.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
Who says? God is eternal, but infinity isn't real.

Precisely my point.
I am using the word "infinitely" to describe God's not having a beginning. I can just as easily use the word you used, "eternal". God existed eternally into the past. The meaning doesn't change. God has no beginning so the "time" prior to God creating the earth has no quantity. How could God have existed a length of time that has no quantity? (if he experiences time in the way that we do)

Who knows?
Not me. :idunno:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
I am using the word "infinitely" to describe God's not having a beginning. I can just as easily use the word you used, "eternal". God existed eternally into the past. The meaning doesn't change. God has no beginning so the "time" prior to God creating the earth has no quantity. How could God have existed a length of time that has no quantity? (if he experiences time in the way that we do)
It did have a quantity. That's my point.

Not me. :idunno:
God knows.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
It did have a quantity. That's my point.
I don't understand how you can assign a quantity to it. God has no beginning. You cannot point to a time in the past where God began. He has existed forever. You cannot put a quantity between FOREVER and the point at which God created the earth. It is an infinite amount. If God experiences time the way we do, He would never reach that point. The time prior to creation of the world has to be an instant.

But we seem to be repeating ourselves so.....

God knows.
Yes he does.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
I don't understand how you can assign a quantity to it. God has no beginning. You cannot point to a time in the past where God began. He has existed forever. You cannot put a quantity between FOREVER and the point at which God created the earth. It is an infinite amount. If God experiences time the way we do, He would never reach that point. The time prior to creation of the world has to be an instant.

But we seem to be repeating ourselves so.....
Like I said, it isn't infinite.:nono:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
kenny J said:
I guess the real question is: Can a MIND that is FINTE even really UNDERSTAND that which is INFINTE?
Some aspects YES. Others NO.

The question is too vague.

We can understand certain things about infinte things to various degrees. For instance, we can understand that God has existed forever and He and us will exist forever into the future. We can understand that on a simple level (to a degree), yet it is hard for us to fully understand it because we are finite.

kenny J

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
Some aspects YES. Others NO.

The question is too vague.

Knight,

How about an EXAMPLE? If you are holding a rope and you CANNOT see either end can you KNOW how long it is?

We can understand certain things about infinte things to various degrees. For instance, we can understand that God has existed forever and He and us will exist forever into the future. We can understand that on a simple level (to a degree), yet it is hard for us to fully understand it because we are finite.
Is the THOUGHT of a thing ever ACTUALLY the THING itself? When you think of your car keys- Is that IMAGE in your mind actually the key PHYSICALLY?

back to you-

ken

Status
Not open for further replies.