Votes: 63 50.4%
  • OTHER (explain below)

Votes: 20 16.0%

• Total voters

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I have received several positive reps, but how do I know who gave them?
Post more, and stick around long enough, and you'll reach the leve necessary to see who repped you. If I ever do, I will try to remember to leave my smilie[:Brandon:], so you know it was me.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
accentuating the opportunity for what is 'positive'

accentuating the opportunity for what is 'positive'

We should just get rid of neg-repping. You can only positive rep someone.

Hi Knight and all,

Knight probably remembers my '2 dollars' on the rep system :) - anyways....I voted 'Other'...but would vote 'No' if 'other' was not available. I would generally be for keeping it because it gives us an opportunity to bless, edify, impress, spread good will and positive encouragement to one another. Used in this positive way, we fulfill the golden rule and lift one another up as Love and divine Will would naturally inspire us to do. - in this way we gladden one another with genuine praise and appreciation. - this is truly health enhancing for giver and receiver.

Of course with this liberty...there is also the opportunity for some to abuse it, target someone because of a personal vendetta, or just plain be vindictive, cruel, malicious. There is justification for that IMO. So we would trust everyone to use the system 'ethically' within reason and appropriate measure. Always remember, the law of compensation is ever at work - 'God is not mocked, whatever a man sows that also shall he reap'...so if one is maligning others over than what is 'reasonable' and fostering ill-will and antagonism in others, they will reap the discord of negative karma and only frustrate the Spirit of God, grieving the very spirit of love. 'you get what you give out' - basic metaphysical law. This serves no one and especially is self-defeating to the one dishing out the negative rep if done in an unloving spirit. If you offend anyone...and someone is hurt by your actions - then you have to mediate it with that person - the recording angels note all things and your soul will have to give account.

Other than that,....if there is a poster that is really degenerate, vulger and outright repugnant whose spirit defiles all decency....totally offending all that is true, good and beautiful.... insulting beyond reason - then maybe that person deserves a neg. rep...because they truly have showed themselves in a universally negative way. In these cases they bring it upon themselves. There are rare cases where someone is asking to be neg-repped like uk_mikey.

Some time back...some of us were being singled out and attacked by some of the big-league truthsmackers which brought up the big deal in the first place. Things have settled down some after the uproar...and seems most are being 'ethical' on the rep system, not abusing the neg-rep function. If so...perhaps Knight and/or other moderaters could mediate in such cases...if one does feel he/she is being treated unjustly. I enjoy giving positive reps, because it inspires goodness, inspiration, appreciation, love, positive vibrations. If you disagree with someone about a theological position, perspective or belief,...you can discuss and share openly in the public forum, which is what it is for. - save the repping feature for its positive function for the most part - for your own good and for the good of others.

Shalom,

paul

koban

The reputation system is intended for fun, nothing more, nothing less.

Many people (like myself) like the rep system because I can give comments to folks for their posts "behind the scenes" so to speak.

For others it has become an obsession and a distraction.

And for some it has caused hurt feelings and ill will.

Tell me what you think... should we keep it or dump it?

There's a rep system?????? :confused: :confused:

Barney

I'll admit to knowing nothing about how the karma works here. However, whatever kind of system it is, I'm grateful for it, even if it could be better. When I'm out of line or offending people, I like to know it. I've been to forums where people are so hardened that you really have to go out of your way to offend people, and I've been to forums where people are so fragile that you'll get banned for making a joke. In any forum, I would like to know whether behaviour is acceptable or not.

I think I gave someone postitive karma earlier, and I don't think it helped their score. I'm guessing it's either because I'm new or I'm not a subscriber. Preferably, I would like a karma system where each person has just as much influence when it comes to someone else's karma score. Otherwise, I'm only really getting the feedback of a select few (relatively), and that doesn't help me as much to be a better forum member.

FellowServant

DMV Princess
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll admit to knowing nothing about how the karma works here. However, whatever kind of system it is, I'm grateful for it, even if it could be better. When I'm out of line or offending people, I like to know it. I've been to forums where people are so hardened that you really have to go out of your way to offend people, and I've been to forums where people are so fragile that you'll get banned for making a joke. In any forum, I would like to know whether behaviour is acceptable or not.

I think I gave someone postitive karma earlier, and I don't think it helped their score. I'm guessing it's either because I'm new or I'm not a subscriber. Preferably, I would like a karma system where each person has just as much influence when it comes to someone else's karma score. Otherwise, I'm only really getting the feedback of a select few (relatively), and that doesn't help me as much to be a better forum member.

Here's a post about the rep system. You have to sort of work your way up in order for your reps to have "power". I enjoy the rep system not so much for the numbers but it's fun to joke with each other via the reps or just to let someone know you enjoyed or appreciated his/her post. For me, it's just a fun part of the board. :) .. Make sure you leave comments when repping also. That's the best part. :chuckle:

nicholsmom

I agree, but maybe that's another problem with the rep system.

Maybe (and I am just thinking outloud) if we didn't have the rep system we would get more comments on the threads? :think:

Maybe many of the comments that would normally be made on threads are made in private via the rep system?

Just brainstorming here.

I like to use the rep system to make comments that are not necessarily "on topic" - I don't want to hijack the thread. And I also love those high-fives! Maybe you should get rid of them to prevent heads growing out of proportion :D

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OTHER - IMO

OTHER - IMO

And that is what it should be, fun and it is.

Then it is a keeper * * *
Many people (like myself) like the rep system because I can give comments to folks for their posts "behind the scenes" so to speak.
That's what I like about the rep system, quick comments,"Hi there!" or "Great post" or "Great Comment" that sort of thing.

Neg reps for me which are few, and require :madmad: type of post or comment, especially personal attacks, profanity intended or not, vulgar religious comments, you know the type.​

Obsession, distractive, that is when it becomes a question if it is worth having a rep system.

Hurt feelings and ill will, when wearing one's feelings or heart on one's sleve, or carrying a chip on one's shoulder, that what happens using the rep system. And then it is not fun anymore.

* * * And when it is not then IMO it needs to go.​
That is what I think . . . It can STAY if it's fun, and GO if it jeopardizes TOL's fellowship and truthsmacking, which is more important.​

That's​
- 30 -​
:scripto:. . Psalmist

Aimey

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!:dizzy:

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't get rid of it!:nono:

,but no seriously, I enjoy the rep system. I always check to see if anyone had a side comment about something I said; sort of a pat on the back and a , "hey you're all right!" I do need to hear that stuff. It isnt really appropriate in the middle of the debate forums.

Last edited:

Random

Hello,

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing. I could go either way. But allow me to throw in my two cents. When I first came here to TOL I didn't even notice the rep meter until about three weeks ago. The thing that I like most about it is the comment board. It was the kind and generous comments that people left me that really encouraged me to continue participating. So, if you decide to scrap it I would suggest leaving the comment board. Then again, the meter is alot of fun when you don't take it too seriously. :)

Random

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
Keep it! Maximeee will throw a fit if you trash it!

He's right! And I know where you live Knight! I could throw fits in front of your house! :reals:

No, seriously, I think the rep system should stay. I like the "high fives" behind the scenes and just the quick comments you can make to someone without derailing a thread.

I do feel that vulgarity/foul language behind the scenes should be monitored more strictly so we don't get all the "whining"* about the neg reps.

*I use the word "whining" because often times it is just that. However, sometimes I believe the complaints are definitely in order.

touched

:chew: to me as a new user i am also posting this twice hope i can re-articulate it as well as B 4 thanks to the programing glitch of wiping out my entire comment on selecting the spell checker as a new user i can see the fun it yet as a new user it also provides me with a wealth of information on the site its frequenters there beliefs were the majority of opinions lay it makes it obvious to me for instance there are soles to be won here and things to be learned by learned scholars founded in scripture and a considerably large misguided with tickle in there ear so it has caused me to throw my hat in the ring you might say just hope I can bear a considerable reflection, guess thats a keep it

Last edited: