Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

• Total voters

shilohproject

lovemeorhateme said:
Because it is so close. I was hoping for a bigger majority to say no.
Yeah, that'd be nice. One must remember that this number only reflects the people on TOL, not the general public, or Christians in the larger community of the Church.

drbrumley

shilohproject said:
One must remember that this number only reflects the people on TOL, not the general public, or Christians in the larger community of the Church.
Unfortunately, And thats the problem.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
lovemeorhateme said:
Because it is so close. I was hoping for a bigger majority to say no.
Why do you think God said that they should get the death penalty? And why do you think that He no longer desires that?

Jadespring

Lighthouse said:
Why do you think God said that they should get the death penalty? And why do you think that He no longer desires that?

Probably for the reason that it's now not considered an "abomination" (old Testament concept of the word that is, not todays) to eat shrimp, pork, wear clothes made from two different materials, cut your hair, touch women who are mensturating, and perform live sacrifices to make up for all these horrible things etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc....
The old Testament never even used the word "homosexual" like we do today.

When everyone here follows ALL of the dozens and dozens of sometimes contradictory laws instead of picking and choosing then perhaps their might be a good argument here.

I want to see more stoning and sacrifice!!! Come on people.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Jadespring said:
Probably for the reason that it's now not considered an "abomination" (old Testament concept of the word that is, not todays) to eat shrimp, pork, wear clothes made from two different materials, cut your hair, touch women who are mensturating, and perform live sacrifices to make up for all these horrible things etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc....
The old Testament never even used the word "homosexual" like we do today.

When everyone here follows ALL of the dozens and dozens of sometimes contradictory laws instead of picking and choosing then perhaps their might be a good argument here.

I want to see more stoning and sacrifice!!! Come on people.
Who said those things are no longer abominations?

Well, I can answer some of that. Jesus told Peter to no longer call unclean what He had made clean. Homosexuality was never included in that. God never made it clean. And therefore it is still an abomination. And God also never called for the decriminilzation of sexual immorality. He did say that the Sabbath no longer needed to be observed, because we are not involved in the covenant He had with Israel. That covenant is on hold, because Israel rejected Jesus as Messiah.

But murder, perjury, adultery/fornication, and stealing are wrong, for anyone, and God desires those things to be punishable by law.

koban

Lighthouse said:

Well, I can answer some of that. Jesus told Peter to no longer call unclean what He had made clean. Homosexuality was never included in that.

Can't find it - can you direct me to the scriptural reference?

God never made it clean. And therefore it is still an abomination. And God also never called for the decriminilzation of sexual immorality. He did say that the Sabbath no longer needed to be observed, because we are not involved in the covenant He had with Israel.

You're referring to the Mosaic covenant?

Last edited:

shilohproject

Lighthouse said:
Jesus told Peter to no longer call unclean what He had made clean.
Just for drill, what do you think He made clean that was once unclean? How did you decide on what to include and what to leave out?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
koban said:
Can't find it - can you direct me to the scriptural reference?
10 Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.”
14 But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.”
15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.
-Acts 10:10-16​

You're referring to the Mosaic covenant?
Yes.

ShadowMaid

It's a little late in the game, perhaps, but for the sake of opinion, they should be warned. If they don't take that warning, then yes, I believe they should be giving the death penalty.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
Just for drill, what do you think He made clean that was once unclean? How did you decide on what to include and what to leave out?
Well, in the case of the verses I'm referring to He made the former unclean animals clean. And if you read further, it also says He has made people who were formerly unclean clean.

Jadespring

Lighthouse said:

Well, I can answer some of that. Jesus told Peter to no longer call unclean what He had made clean. Homosexuality was never included in that. God never made it clean. And therefore it is still an abomination. And God also never called for the decriminilzation of sexual immorality. He did say that the Sabbath no longer needed to be observed, because we are not involved in the covenant He had with Israel. That covenant is on hold, because Israel rejected Jesus as Messiah.

But murder, perjury, adultery/fornication, and stealing are wrong, for anyone, and God desires those things to be punishable by law.

I'll echo the above posters. Where's this list of things made suddenly clean? If it's not exhaustive (ie covers all of these laws) It makes it much more difficult to argue for bits and pieces to stay. I will again reiterate, "homosexuality" (its a modern concept) was not spoken about in the OT. The reference was to specific sexual acts. It's time we start talking in context here and stop putting words and concepts into scripture just cause we want it there.
The current focus on "homosexuality" is a product of bigotry, intolerance, unease and fear of difference plain and simple. Christ would not have acted in such a primitive and reactive manner. This is not an expression of love. At all.

But her gotta have someone to blame for all the bad stuff in the world huh? Couldn't at all be me? For heaven's sake I couldn't be the least bit responsible?

I have never been more embarassed to be Christian as I have been while reading this thread. Might as well go back to worshiping Zeus or Mars or something if this has what the Christian faith has turned into.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
ShadowMaid said:
It's a little late in the game, perhaps, but for the sake of opinion, they should be warned. If they don't take that warning, then yes, I believe they should be giving the death penalty.
I agree with this.

Jadespring

Lighthouse said:
10 Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.”
14 But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.”
15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.
-Acts 10:10-16​

Yes.

Okay food cleansed. This interpretation really pushes this piece of scripture but sure... let's go for it. What about everything else none "food' related?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Jadespring said:
I'll echo the above posters. Where's this list of things made suddenly clean? If it's not exhaustive (ie covers all of these laws) It makes it much more difficult to argue for bits and pieces to stay. I will again reiterate, "homosexuality" (its a modern concept) was not spoken about in the OT. The reference was to specific sexual acts. It's time we start talking in context here and stop putting words and concepts into scripture just cause we want it there.
The current focus on "homosexuality" is a product of bigotry, intolerance, unease and fear of difference plain and simple. Christ would not have acted in such a primitive and reactive manner. This is not an expression of love. At all.

But her gotta have someone to blame for all the bad stuff in the world huh? Couldn't at all be me? For heaven's sake I couldn't be the least bit responsible?

I have never been more embarassed to be Christian as I have been while reading this thread. Might as well go back to worshiping Zeus or Mars or something if this has what the Christian faith has turned into.
Christ was very reactionary to those who lived in blatant opposition of God's truth. Does that mean He didn't love them? Of course not! Does that mean He was being unloving? Of course not!

And homosexuality was not a word that existed back then, I'll agree. But the Bible has plenty to say about men having sex with men and women having sex with women. And it plainly states that it is immoral, across the board. End of discussion. because if you want to ignore what God said, and cal yourself a Christian, there is no point in even talking to you. The Bible says I shouldn't even be friends with you.

And as for the list of things, I gave the verses in an above post.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
I believe so. But I may be wrong.

Do you know the answer? Can you provide the verses?
Well, I don't have an answer. But when the verse says they should be put to death it doesn't really say anything about letting them off if the offenders are repentant. It just says they should be put to death.