Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

• Total voters

ColoSkier

I really like how the newbies come on to TOL and level accusations based on the few posts they've actually read.

Please define "few". I've read over 100 posts by Mystery which violate the TOS and aren't even close to representing Christ. You don't need to eat every rotten apple off the tree to know the tree isn't bearing good fruit. :)

S†ephen

I don't believe the death penalty is reserved for those who only intend to take a life. Adultery and rape don't have the intention of taking away a life, but more or less using life in a perverse intent.

Here in Romans 1 (KJV)
26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Homosexuals are clearly described here, and their acts are "against nature." And in the bold text, you see they're even deserving of death.

True. But it also lists
murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful

Paul is speaking of all mankind's wickedness in this passage and is not just saying homosexuality deserves death but many other things as well. So I don't think Paul is advocating the death penalty here. He is telling the people who he wrote to to keep doing their thing and those who persist in their sin (homosexuality, etc...) will get their just reward in time.

Remember, our goal as Christians is to bring people to Christ, not to murder them wholesale.

S†ephen

I assume you are in favor of murdering homosexuals. True? I believe that is a sick desire. If the notion of murdering homosexuals appeals to you, you might consider moving to a place where that atrocity is practiced. Iran, for example.

America works just fine.

red77

The same crime, but worthy of the same punishment.

Did you mean to say NOT the same crime but worthy of the same punishment?

Either way your post makes about as much sense....how you can compare rape, molestation and murder as being 'worthy of the same punishment' is just totally bemusing.....

PKevman

Really?! You seem to believe that two adults of the same gender having consentual sex is the same as the rape and murder of a child given the penalty you would decree for it, most people with a semblance of sanity would say otherwise and for obvious reasons.....!

I notice you said "You seem to believe". But the reality is that God Himself decreed it as deserving of death. Whether you agree with whether or not it should be something punishable by death today or not, why do you ignore the fact that God said it, and pretend that anyone who says that is not agreeing with God?

PKevman

Ok...

But then by the same token is it not obvious that rape,murder,molestation is worse than any act of consentual sex?

Degrees of wickedness are not what is at stake here. What is at stake here is what does God say in His Word and what commands of God are still active in this dispensation and what commands aren't. Unless you want to deny that God said it was deserving of death?

So Red77, did God in fact say that those who are caught committing the atrocious and ugly sin of homosexuality should be put to death or not? Please answer this with a yes or no.

red77

I notice you said "You seem to believe". But the reality is that God Himself decreed it as deserving of death. Whether you agree with whether or not it should be something punishable by death today or not, why do you ignore the fact that God said it, and pretend that anyone who says that is not agreeing with God?

Um, do we really have to go down the whole system of mosaic law again PK????! Just what exactly applies today and just what does not?

It does not take a genius to work out that violating another person is a lot worse than consentual acts, it's just plain obvious is it not....?

red77

Degrees of wickedness are not what is at stake here. What is at stake here is what does God say in His Word and what commands of God are still active in this dispensation and what commands aren't. Unless you want to deny that God said it was deserving of death?

So Red77, did God in fact say that those who are caught committing the atrocious and ugly sin of homosexuality should be put to death or not? Please answer this with a yes or no.

So, erm - just WHAT commands are still in 'dispensation' PK?

And if you still want to live under mosaic law then the ugly and atrocious sin of slandering wasn't too well looked upon either, pity you're so shy when it comes to christians engaging in such and not condemning with such forthrightness......

PKevman

So, erm - just WHAT commands are still in 'dispensation' PK?

And if you still want to live under mosaic law then the ugly and atrocious sin of slandering wasn't too well looked upon either, pity you're so shy when it comes to christians engaging in such and not condemning with such forthrightness......

Ok this is a dodge of the question. We can talk about what commands are still active in this dispensation and what commands are not, but the first question that I asked you was:

Did God in fact say that those who are caught committing the atrocious and ugly sin of homosexuality should be put to death or not? Please answer this with a yes or no.

After you answer, then we can move on from there.

PKevman

Red77 said:
It does not take a genius to work out that violating another person is a lot worse than consentual acts, it's just plain obvious is it not....?

Actually not really. You can make the case that all homosexual acts violate someone. They definitely violate God, as He Himself makes that clear.

Just because something is consentual doesn't make it an unharmful thing. There is plenty of documented evidence, and I have personally sat in counseling sessions with people molested by their own parents, and grow up continuing to have consentual sex with their parents because even though it repulsed them, they also grew to derive a perverse enjoyment from it.

This to me is proof that not all consentual sex is good and non-harmful. For many homosexuals a pattern of behavior is developed from molestations in childhood, and they carry that same pattern of behavior over into adulthood.

Red, why don't you stop trying to defend perversion?

red77

Ok this is a dodge of the question. We can talk about what commands are still active in this dispensation and what commands are not, but the first question that I asked you was:

Did God in fact say that those who are caught committing the atrocious and ugly sin of homosexuality should be put to death or not? Please answer this with a yes or no.

After you answer, then we can move on from there.

First off, I do not remember God singling out homosexuality as 'an atrocious and ugly sin' as if it was so much worse than any other human fallibility.....

Such as eating shrimp for example, being disrespectful to one's parents etc.....

We do NOT live under mosaic law anymore PK, unless you think that we still do....?

PKevman

First off, I do not remember God singling out homosexuality as 'an atrocious and ugly sin' as if it was so much worse than any other human fallibility.....

Such as eating shrimp for example, being disrespectful to one's parents etc.....

We do NOT live under mosaic law anymore PK, unless you think that we still do....?

Dodge.

Red, did God say that homosexuality should be punishable by death? Either a yes or no answer please.

red77

Actually not really. You can make the case that all homosexual acts violate someone. They definitely violate God, as He Himself makes that clear.

Just because something is consentual doesn't make it an unharmful thing. There is plenty of documented evidence, and I have personally sat in counseling sessions with people molested by their own parents, and grow up continuing to have consentual sex with their parents because even though it repulsed them, they also grew to derive a perverse enjoyment from it.

This to me is proof that not all consentual sex is good and non-harmful. For many homosexuals a pattern of behavior is developed from molestations in childhood, and they carry that same pattern of behavior over into adulthood.

Red, why don't you stop trying to defend perversion?

Oh please......

What you're describing isn't consentual sex but rape and abuse! In fact incestual rape and abuse! Good grief pastor, surely you can see the difference between grown adults in a consentual same sex relationship and the violation both physically and emotionally of another?!
If you can't then please just do not bother responding, I've seen the effects of actual rape and violation and for it to be compared to consentual sex between ADULTS is just an insult........