Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

• Total voters

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Lighthouse...this is something that has been repeatedly discussed here on TOL. You know my arguments as well as I know yours...and I won't tread this same ground again.
No, I don't. Or I would not have asked. If you have stated your reasoning before, I have not read it.

It is sad that the two of us...who profess the same beliefs...have such a wide gulf when it comes to this kind of thing. And your propensity to call for the death of others in so many situations frightens me.
If God doesn't call for it, I don't call for it. And before I came to TOL I didn't call for it on this issue, or adultery, either. But now I know why God called for it, and I believe that for that very same reason He still desires it.

I understand you find homosexuality repulsive...and I agree. It is a sin. But it is not a sin which I believe, from what I've studied and been taught, that calls for US to kill. (You know that from my last four years of posts.) Nor is it something under man's law for which we can put someone to death.
It is under God's law. And God's law is above all else.

P.S.
You need to study more.

If you want to make the discussion about putting pedophiles to death, then you might be able to get me on board.
Pedophiles are rapists, and I don't see a lot of argument against that from TOLers.

What? There's actually been a lot of people who have argued that adultery doesn't deserve the DP nowadays LH! Is your memory really so selective? And btw - it doesn't take much bravery to try and malign an opposing view to yours by saying that people 'ran off crying'.......:rolleyes:
I know there have been. And I know you are one of those who have argued against it. I was even thinking of you as I typed that post. But I was not referring to you, of course. The person I was referring to exiled himself in a huff, because he was mad. And he didn't want to face the word of God that was laid out before him over and over again. Instead he chose to ignore it, and then he ran away. And yet he was more vocal against it than you ever have been. And though I can't stand you, I have to give you credit. You have not run away from TOL because you didn't like what people were saying.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Jinkx said:
I have no idea what you are talking about or what it has to do with *this* thread. Having been cheated on by my own Christian hubby, I don't personally condone cheating...however, I certainly wasn't calling for the death penatly for him either.

Sometimes things that seem bad can end up with a good result. Since I was a Christian back then, it was this little infraction that gave me my biblical reason for divorce.

Yippee!

:chuckle:
First, you need to fix your post. You put the end quote tag at the wrong point.

Now, in response to your post, God did command for the death penalty for adultery, in the laws He gave to Israel.

jafowler1

Thank you for saying what I was going to say. To think it's ok to kill another human being just because they express attraction to you is extremely vile and immoral IMO. I have actually had a lesbian mention that she found me attractive and I politely thanked her and let her know that I was straight and not interested. It NEVER crossed my mind that such a sweet person should be murdered because we were of the same gender. God forbid!!!

jafowler1

No, I don't. Or I would not have asked. If you have stated your reasoning before, I have not read it.

If God doesn't call for it, I don't call for it. And before I came to TOL I didn't call for it on this issue, or adultery, either. But now I know why God called for it, and I believe that for that very same reason He still desires it.

P.S.
You need to study more.

Pedophiles are rapists, and I don't see a lot of argument against that from TOLers.

I know there have been. And I know you are one of those who have argued against it. I was even thinking of you as I typed that post. But I was not referring to you, of course. The person I was referring to exiled himself in a huff, because he was mad. And he didn't want to face the word of God that was laid out before him over and over again. Instead he chose to ignore it, and then he ran away. And yet he was more vocal against it than you ever have been. And though I can't stand you, I have to give you credit. You have not run away from TOL because you didn't like what people were saying.
I'm honestly not trying to be offensive, but how do people justify being so trigger happy when someone doesn't live by what they believe to be right. It's not just the christians who do this, but other religions as well. How could God create humanity to have free will and then turn around and say "kill 'em all" about anyone who didn't choose the "right" creed or moral code. That just doesn't make any sense and I'd love to see bible verses proving that Jesus Christ ordered the killing of anyone, since THAT is who christians are supposed to be following.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Thank you for saying what I was going to say. To think it's ok to kill another human being just because they express attraction to you is extremely vile and immoral IMO. I have actually had a lesbian mention that she found me attractive and I politely thanked her and let her know that I was straight and not interested. It NEVER crossed my mind that such a sweet person should be murdered because we were of the same gender. God forbid!!!
:bang:

This has never been about attraction. If it were, we would be calling for the death of lovemeorhateme, uk_mikey and my very own father [King Frog]. It's about action. As in the act of engaging in sexual behavior with someone of the same gender.

The main purpose of this thread, at least what should be the main purpose, is to reason why God commanded it to Israel, and if it should still stand today. And the answer to the last question depends upon the answer to the first.

red77

You make too many pressumptions LH, I know exactly who you are referring to and it was hardly 'running away'.....

And if you think that i haven't been as equally as vocally against the execution of adulterers then I suggest you revisit the thread which I started on the very subject, it sickened me to the core then as much as it does now that you and others would have these people killed under 'righteousness', you've had the exact same word presented to you time and again which refutes you and yet you prefer to live under mosaic law when it suits and condemn people unto death for fallibility, we're not talking murder, rape or molestation here.......nor is adultery being condoned, but to equate it to the above is just incredulous....

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now, in response to your post, God did command for the death penalty for adultery, in the laws He gave to Israel.

Why should that matter to those that go by the *legitimate* law? The actual law is based on what the citizens, politicians, legislators of the US deem as necessary, moral and just.

What do you think would happen if one of your Christian friends decided to stone their insolent child? They could jump up and down and claim it is the law of your God, however, it certainly wouldn't stop a lethal injection or prison sentence.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You make too many pressumptions LH, I know exactly who you are referring to and it was hardly 'running away'.....

And if you think that i haven't been as equally as vocally against the execution of adulterers then I suggest you revisit the thread which I started on the very subject, it sickened me to the core then as much as it does now that you and others would have these people killed under 'righteousness', you've had the exact same word presented to you time and again which refutes you and yet you prefer to live under mosaic law when it suits and condemn people unto death for fallibility, we're not talking murder, rape or molestation here.......nor is adultery being condoned, but to equate it to the above is just incredulous....
:rotfl:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Why should that matter to those that go by the *legitimate* law? The actual law is based on what the citizens, politicians, legislators of the US deem as necessary, moral and just.

And I don't agree with the law of this land, in this regard. However, it was previously a capital crime to commit adultery in this country. As was homosexuality.

What do you think would happen if one of your Christian friends decided to stone their insolent child? They could jump up and down and claim it is the law of your God, however, it certainly wouldn't stop a lethal injection or prison sentence.

They should certainly be executed. And not with lethal injection. It's not painful.

They could scream all they want that it was God's law, but they would be wrong. For many reasons. One is that God never commanded anyone to carry out His law on their own. Another is that it was never a command to stone insolent children. I know what verse you're referring to, and if you genuinely want to discuss what it says/means, I am more than willing.

lovemeorhateme

No, the actual law we should live by is the law of God. Any other law is moot compared to this.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, the actual law we should live by is the law of God. Any other law is moot compared to this.

Well, if you believe that is true, then don't you feel you are required to carry out God's law? I mean seriously, if someone believes that God commands that homosexuals be put to death, then why are they not carrying out God's law?

uk_mikey

I think that this thread is about whether the law should be changed. I don't think anyone is suggesting that anyone should break the law.

Also, I think that the mosaic law which is being used to support this arguement is only applicable to those who fall under this law (correct me if I'm wrong, somebody).
So, it is only being applied to Christians (and Jews?), and not to non-Christians.
You can't apply God's law to everybody on earth, because you have to choose to be in the 'club' which that law governs.

.... or something.... :noid:

Last edited:

red77

No, just a natural response to a stupid post.

:darwinsm:

:rolleyes:

Another cop out, if people are going to debate then they could at least address what they find 'stupid' about the post instead of squirming around it, LH knows full well that adultery and the DP has been under intense debate and just avoids it, you gonna do the same too? Tell me what was so stupid about the post and I'll address you.....

Arkwright

BANNED
Banned
:rolleyes:

Another cop out, if people are going to debate then they could at least address what they find 'stupid' about the post instead of squirming around it, LH knows full well that adultery and the DP has been under intense debate and just avoids it, you gonna do the same too? Tell me what was so stupid about the post and I'll address you.....

I think if you take a study comparing the posts by radical conservatives on TOL and everyone else, you'd find everything they say consists of significantly less information than the second group. It's safe to conclude these people have no clue what they're talking about. I've read some terrible economic policies on here. Lessons in supply-side economics are needed.

C

cattyfan

And I don't agree with the law of this land, in this regard. However, it was previously a capital crime to commit adultery in this country. As was homosexuality.

From the book "Captial Punishment In America"

One can divide the history of American capital punishment into three main phases. From the earliest colonial times until the late eighteenth century, executions were rare, spectacular, and utterly noncontroversial. The sentence of death was imposed for a wide range of crimes--including such infractions as burglary, adultery, and counterfeiting--but executions were seldom conducted.

Seldom conducted.

C

cattyfan

God never commanded anyone to carry out His law on their own.

How then should this be applied to the controversy at hand? Would it be better if the neighbors had helped stone the insolent child? Does it make it any less wrong?

C

cattyfan

P.S.
You need to study more.

As you feel I haven't "studied enough," I'm turning this question over to CleverDan to field, as his education in theology far outstrips either of us, as does his knowledge of Scripture application.

He will answer shortly.