Shots fired near Cal Sate University Northridge; students receiving reverse 911 calls

Granite

Hall of Fame
No...It's personal here. I'm glad to see you have such a low opinion of me. I'll keep that in mind.

"Bite me, I have no interest in what you have to say" is a pretty typical reaction. Whether you realize it or not. Wrapping yourself in self-righteousness, a Bible, a flag, or the Second Amendment doesn't change that. You inadvertently just summed up the NRA/Oath Keeper/Open Carry crowd in a nice, tidy nutshell. Here, let's see that one more time (slower, for clarity, in stereo):

"Bite me, you feckless clown...You have never understood a word that I have said about this issue. I have no interest in you."

Yep. That just about says it all. Background checks? Insert response. Maybe a waiting period? Insert response. How about a restriction on number of firearms purchased in any given year? Insert response. Well, how about preventing domestic abusers or the mentally ill from getting guns? Insert response. Okay, what about...what about...what about...

"We need to talk sensibly about our madness with guns!"

"Bite me, clown."

See? Works every time.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
"Bite me, I have no interest in what you have to say" is a pretty typical reaction. Whether you realize it or not. Wrapping yourself in self-righteousness, a Bible, a flag, or the Second Amendment doesn't change that. You inadvertently just summed up the NRA/Oath Keeper/Open Carry crowd in a nice, tidy nutshell. Here, let's see that one more time (slower, for clarity, in stereo):

"Bite me, you feckless clown...You have never understood a word that I have said about this issue. I have no interest in you."

Yep. That just about says it all. Background checks? Insert response. Maybe a waiting period? Insert response. How about a restriction on number of firearms purchased in any given year? Insert response. Well, how about preventing domestic abusers or the mentally ill from getting guns? Insert response. Okay, what about...what about...what about...

Bite me, clown. See? Works every time.

The feeling is mutual.

Quetzal

Bite me, clown. See? Works every time.
Seems like a lazy cop-out in lieu of a constructive discussion to me. :chuckle:

Granite

Hall of Fame
The feeling is mutual.

Then tell me I'm wrong. Tell me you support actual, sane, reasonable steps towards curbing American gun culture, gun violence, our obsession with firearms, and our national sickness. Go ahead. Show me you're not one of the crazy ones, or one of the typical ones.

How would you respond to universal background checks? Voluntary buybacks in major cities? A moratorium on firearms sales on even a city-by-city voluntary basis?

The gun culture of the United States is approaching death cult status. I call it Gulture. And it needs. To. Stop. But so long as there are enough people out there whose response to sanity is "Bite me, clown" then nothing will.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Then tell me I'm wrong. Tell me you support actual, sane, reasonable steps towards curbing American gun culture, gun violence, our obsession with firearms, and our national sickness. Go ahead. Show me you're not one of the crazy ones, or one of the typical ones.

How would you respond to universal background checks? Voluntary buybacks in major cities? A moratorium on firearms sales on even a city-by-city voluntary basis?

The gun culture of the United States is approaching death cult status. I call it Gulture. And it needs. To. Stop. But so long as there are enough people out there whose response to sanity is "Bite me, clown" then nothing will.

"Bite me, clown".

Granite

Hall of Fame
Lives must be laid down on the altar of Gulture to pay the price for freedom. The blood of the innocent waters the stones surrounding the altar of Gulture. Eternal vigilance protects our precious Gulture.

Hail, Gulture!

gcthomas

Why? Don't you believe there are lots of school shootings? That even teachers are being the shooters and killing people? That shootings are a problem that needs dealing with urgently?

The source was, afaic, Mass Shooting Tracker, but their site is down right now, so I can't check. But a quick Google search found this story reporting the same figures: a shooting per week in the three years since Sandy Hook.

School shootings are a problem when sundry mentally ill teenagers can find a firearm to use on a whim to satisfy passing violent urges.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
A Colorado Sheriff says it well:

Hours - once again, it only took hours for this president to demand more gun control. He has no idea what happened in Oregon, but he's already determined what caused today's tragedy - gun owners. At least this time, he admits that he is intentionally politicizing the issue.
Despite all this nation's gun control laws, the president claims that the problem is that there are no "modest gun regulations" in America. As a law enforcement officer, I'm familiar with the growing volumes of gun control laws and I can tell you there are plenty of them now. After every mass casualty incident, we are told- If we only pass a few more, we'll stop these tragedies in the future.
But then, along comes the next tragedy and the next round of calls for more gun control
Mr President, look at your hometown, Chicago. Despite their onerous gun control laws, last weekend over 50 people were shot, 12 in just 7 hours.
The problem is not the lack of gun control- the problem is the lack of respect for human life and the willingness to use criminal violence against your fellow man.
This president believes that Iran and Russia are allies, but villifies those Americans who "cling to their guns and their religion."
Colorado, don't be fooled, this isn't about crime control, it's about citizen control and in the mind of this administration, every tragedy is an opportunity and none should be wasted.
Say no to the president's demands for more and more gun control and instead demand that he honestly address the uptick of crime and violence under his administration.

This Charming Manc

In my defense I have understood and still disagree, I think you made some very valid point I took in our earlier chats on practicalities of gun control in the states.

However the last few times round this subject all i've got is nationalistic BS and that doesn't wash with me.

Bite me, you feckless clown...You have never understood a word that I have said about this issue.

I have no interest in you. :yawn:

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Why? Don't you believe there are lots of school shootings? That even teachers are being the shooters and killing people? That shootings are a problem that needs dealing with urgently?

:sigh: Then why didn't you say that?...As opposed to citing bogus statistics? The source of these numbers quite often include any crime involving a firearm which occurs within a "school zone" (areas which are in the general vicinity of school property) be it a mugging, gang hit, or whatever....Then suddenly the crimes all become "school shootings".

Don't cite a stat if you can't give a source. :plain:

...but don't concern yourself too much...Bogus stats are going to fly everywhere on this subject.

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Lives must be laid down on the altar of Gulture to pay the price for freedom. The blood of the innocent waters the stones surrounding the altar of Gulture. Eternal vigilance protects our precious Gulture.

Hail, Gulture!

Don't forget "feckless".

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"Bite me, clown".
Horrible British accent, unfathomable euphemism and questionable punctuation aside, sure, you say that, but if someone actually bit your clown you'd probably shoot them. :plain:

My two cents: the status quo isn't acceptable, but what's the constructive solution? Switzerland manages a gun culture without anything like our level of violence, but then it has a different foundation, one steeped in a different approach.

Here's an article in Time about it.

The Swiss teach responsible gun ownership and use and they regulate ownership. Anyway, it might not be a template entire, but it's a reasonable point of inquiry, or so it seems to me.

And to my unbitten clown.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Horrible British accent, unfathomable euphemism and questionable punctuation aside, sure, you say that, but if someone actually bit your clown you'd probably shoot them. :plain:

My two cents: the status quo isn't acceptable, but what's the constructive solution? Switzerland manages a gun culture without anything like our level of violence, but then it has a different foundation, one steeped in a different approach.

The Swiss teach responsible gun ownership and use and they regulate ownership. Anyway, it might not be a template entire, but it's a reasonable point of inquiry, or so it seems to me.

The Swiss also have a lot of slopes, remember? And all of them are slippery.:DK:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
In my defense I have understood and still disagree, I think you made some very valid point I took in our earlier chats on practicalities of gun control in the states.

:shocked: Ooookkaaaayyy...I wasn't expecting that you had any recall about these things at all.

I apologize for my misjudgment but your response to a simple request for info. really put me off.

However the last few times round this subject all i've got nationalistic BS and that doesn't wash with me.

:think: I can see how my "It's not your problem" responses would be classified as "nationalistic BS".

Okay...I guess I was out of line...I apologize. :e4e:

Quetzal

If I recall correctly, the Swiss do not have access to ammo, do they? Unless they are on duty or at war. I could be wrong, but I thought that was the case.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

*meh* :idunno: That depends on who it is.

Agreed....And indeed that is the question.

The Swiss "gun culture" has as much in common with the U.S. "gun culture" as the Compton "gun culture" has with the one you and I were raised with....Like you said; "foundation" "approach"

:juggle: