Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

SimpleMan77

I have already given the scriptures, but since I love giving the scriptures, here they are again:

Speaking in tongues was a gift given, a sign, given (Isaiah 28:11) during the laying of the foundation of the Church (Hebrews 2:4). It was a sign to the Jews (Acts 2:6). Speaking in tongues has served God's purpose, God has given the sign (1Cor 14:21), and God has laid the foundation (Eph 2:20). Speaking in tongues by the Gentiles showed the Jews that God granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life (Acts 11:18). Tongue speakers spoke mysteries (1 Cor 14:2); consequently, the mystery of the gospel has been given (Eph 6:19). Speaking in tongues is the language of angels (1 Cor 13:1), angels minister to humans (Hebrews 1:14). Humans are to understand speaking in tongues in earthly languages (Acts 2:6, 11). Speaking in tongues would be “stilled” (1 Cor 13:8).

The believers in the Bible times who spoke in tongues, they spoke in tongues supernaturally. The believers who supposedly speak in tongues nowadays, they speak gibberish and believe God turns their gibberish into supernatural language, and that is a false doctrine.

Much of what you say is correct. However, the only scripture that could be misunderstood to mean that the Spirit no longer gives the utterance to speak with other/unknown tongues is 2 Cor 13:8. Two points:
1. Tongues simply mean languages. This verse says languages shall cease.
2. If languages have ceased, then knowledge has vanished away. Please explain how know knowledge has vanished away.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have already given the scriptures, but since I love giving the scriptures, here they are again:

Speaking in tongues was a gift given, a sign, given (Isaiah 28:11) during the laying of the foundation of the Church (Hebrews 2:4). It was a sign to the Jews (Acts 2:6). Speaking in tongues has served God's purpose, God has given the sign (1Cor 14:21), and God has laid the foundation (Eph 2:20). Speaking in tongues by the Gentiles showed the Jews that God granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life (Acts 11:18). Tongue speakers spoke mysteries (1 Cor 14:2); consequently, the mystery of the gospel has been given (Eph 6:19). Speaking in tongues is the language of angels (1 Cor 13:1), angels minister to humans (Hebrews 1:14). Humans are to understand speaking in tongues in earthly languages (Acts 2:6, 11). Speaking in tongues would be “stilled” (1 Cor 13:8).

The believers in the Bible times who spoke in tongues, they spoke in tongues supernaturally. The believers who supposedly speak in tongues nowadays, they speak gibberish and believe God turns their gibberish into supernatural language, and that is a false doctrine.

The sign was that the Gentiles preached the Gospel to the Jews because the gentiles received the Holy Spirit, NOT that tongues was spoken.

You made all of that up.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
When the Greek words are looked at, we learn that the word "severally" is the word "idios" which is commonly translated his own, their own...

Dividing to every man his own... his own depending on what? As God wills? nope as the man wills.

Complete rubbish.

LA

WeberHome

Re: Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

-
People with the gift of tongues have the option to pray and sing with it or not to.

1Cor 14:13-16 . . Anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

In other words: there are charismatics out and about blabbering incoherently because they choose to, rather than because they have to.

Now why on earth would a grown-up prefer incoherent blabbering? Isn't that the way small children communicate? Well, small children I can excuse because they're uneducated. But shouldn't supposed educated adults be just a bit more mature with their language and grammar than small children?

1 Cor 14:20 . . Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults.

Well; Paul was too kind. Were it left up to me I'd describe willful tonguers as spiritually retarded.

/

God's Truth

The sign was that the Gentiles preached the Gospel to the Jews because the gentiles received the Holy Spirit, NOT that tongues was spoken.

You made all of that up.

LA

God in His infinite wisdom knew that the Gentiles speaking in tongues would be a sign to the Jews that the Gentiles are also included in salvation. Can you imagine how necessary it was for the Jews to have the sign that salvation is for the Gentiles too? This is very important since the Jews called the Gentiles "unclean people." It was even against the law for Jews to associate closely with the Gentiles. See the following passage how God poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit even on the Gentiles, as was evident by the Gentiles speaking in tongues and praising God.

Acts 10:44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

God's Truth

Yes, the foundation has been laid, but take heed as to how you build thereon.

The foundation is of little value, unless you learn how scriptures tell you to build thereon.

When we see Jesus Christ face to face, then tongues will cease.

I Corinthians 13:10,12

Jesus Christ is that perfect one to come and he has not come back yet.

Face to face as in I John 3:1-3

As for the statement in 1 Corinthians 13:10, “but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears”, nowadays tongue speakers claim that tongue speaking will not cease until Jesus comes again. However, that scripture does not say tongues will not stop until Jesus comes again. That scripture is about Jesus coming the first time.
The prophets in the Old Testament prophesied about Jesus, and prophets in the New Testament prophesied about our salvation. This is what Paul says, “…where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.”

When you only have prophesy in part, because the prophecy has not yet been fulfilled, or more prophecy is needed, it is imperfect, it is imperfect because the prophesy is in “part” or not yet fulfilled. However, when there is fulfillment of prophecy or more prophecy for what we need to know, then we have full understanding, so then, it is perfect and, that which is perfect is come. The Old Testament believers waited a long time for God to reveal Jesus to us, and now finally, from the Bible, we see that God has revealed Jesus, in the New Testament, the perfect has come. The Bible has everything we need to know for salvation. It is perfect. The New Testament is the “perfect law” given to us, James 1:25. The apostles from the New Testament received all the truth we need to guide us to eternal life, and they wrote this down in the Scriptures: John 16:13; 2 Peter 1:3; Acts 20:20, 27; Matthew 28:20; I Corinthians 14:37; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17; Romans 16:25-27.

We do not need anyone's tongue speaking to know more things about God's Truth, we have the Bible, and it is finished.

God's Truth

Let it be according to your believing.

According to my believing those things are happening and shall continue to be the results of those who believe John 14:12

Jesus was sending out his apostles, as God sent Jesus out.

John 20:21 Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you."

The apostles were sent out and allowed to do miracles as Jesus did.

The foundation was laid by Jesus Christ and the prophets and apostles.

Ephesians 2:20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.

We are not laying the foundation.

SimpleMan77

Name someone you know that was dead for four days and then raised to life.

Honestly answer this: if someone today had the testimony that they were raised from the dead, you would rationalize it away, right?

Now wouldn't you do the same if you were there? Lazarus surely wasn't really dead, right? You know you would. Jesus wasn't really dead - he went into a coma, and three days later he revived.

God's Truth

1 Peter 3:9
Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.

I see you are having a hard time with the word of God that shows what Truster is doing, the way he is judging, is how he is judged.

Now what you are doing to me is close if not completely being a hypocrite because you ARE doing what you claim I am doing, and falsely at that.

God's Truth

Honestly answer this: if someone today had the testimony that they were raised from the dead, you would rationalize it away, right?

Now wouldn't you do the same if you were there? Lazarus surely wasn't really dead, right? You know you would. Jesus wasn't really dead - he went into a coma, and three days later he revived.

Do you know you are falsely accusing, and that that is what Satan ensnares people to do?

You are falsely accusing me of not believing Jesus.

As for raising the dead, you said you could do what Jesus does. So you need to tell me who you raised from the dead. Remember, four days dead.

Truster

You have exposed yourself as being a liar and one going to hell.

That is according to the written Word of God.

Based on this nonsense you have taken and twisted John the Baptist and Messiah Himself are condemned. Before I judged you, or anyone else, I first judged myself. That makes my judgement of you both just and spiritually accurate.

You would have accused Messiah Yah Shua to be guilty of not loving his neighbour as himself, of biting and devouring others, and of not manifesting the fruit of the Spirit when he called certain people:

Hypocrites (Matthew 6:2,5; 7:5; 15:7; 16:3; 22:18; 23:13,14,15,23,25,27,29; Mark 7:6; Luke 6:42; 11:44; 12:56; 13:15)

Vipers (Matthew 12:34; 23:33)

Dogs (Matthew 7:6; Revelation 22:15).

Swine (Matthew 7:6)

Children of hell (Matthew 23:15)

Fools (Matthew 23:17,19; Luke 11:40; 12:20; 24:25)

Blind (Matthew 15:14; 23:16,17,19,24,26; Revelation 3:17)

Serpents (Matthew 23:33)

Of their father the devil (John 8:44), liars (John 8:55; Revelation 2:2)

And their denomination or cult a synagogue of Satan (Revelation 2:9)

You would have despised Him, because these are the words He would have used to describe you.

God's Truth

Based on this nonsense you have taken and twisted John the Baptist and Messiah Himself are condemned. Before I judged you, or anyone else, I first judged myself.
hahahahahahahahaha

How big of you.

You approved of YOURSELF greatly, by yourself. How great of you. lol

You are bigger than Paul who says he doesn't judge himself.

1 Corinthians 4:3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself.

I care very little if I am judged by you or anyone.

That makes my judgement of you both just and spiritually accurate.

You would have accused Messiah Yah Shua to be guilty of not loving his neighbour as himself, of biting and devouring others, and of not manifesting the fruit of the Spirit when he called certain people:

Hypocrites (Matthew 6:2,5; 7:5; 15:7; 16:3; 22:18; 23:13,14,15,23,25,27,29; Mark 7:6; Luke 6:42; 11:44; 12:56; 13:15)

Vipers (Matthew 12:34; 23:33)

Dogs (Matthew 7:6; Revelation 22:15).

Swine (Matthew 7:6)

Children of hell (Matthew 23:15)

Fools (Matthew 23:17,19; Luke 11:40; 12:20; 24:25)

Blind (Matthew 15:14; 23:16,17,19,24,26; Revelation 3:17)

Serpents (Matthew 23:33)

Of their father the devil (John 8:44), liars (John 8:55; Revelation 2:2)

And their denomination or cult a synagogue of Satan (Revelation 2:9)

You would have despised Him, because these are the words He would have used to describe you.

You are no Jesus Christ, and you are not the greatest man next to him, John the baptizer.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus was sending out his apostles, as God sent Jesus out.

John 20:21 Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you."

The apostles were sent out and allowed to do miracles as Jesus did.

The foundation was laid by Jesus Christ and the prophets and apostles.

Ephesians 2:20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.

We are not laying the foundation.

When the gospel is preached to the tribes deep in the Amazon, the foundation is still being laid.

LA

God's Truth

When the gospel is preached to the tribes deep in the Amazon, the foundation is still being laid.

LA

No, the foundation has been laid.

Ephesians 2:20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the cornerstone.

1 Corinthians 3:11
For no one can lay a foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

God's Truth

Tongues speaking was never for knowing more about Gods Truth.

LA

Speaking in tongues was also for knowing more about God's Truth, and it needed to be interpreted.

Those speaking in tongues could declare the wonders of God (Acts 2:11). They could also praise God in tongues (Acts 10:46). Not everyone spoke in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:5). If someone spoke in tongues, then they should pray that they should also interpret what they say, for the benefit of others (1 Corinthians 14:13,19). Even when praying and singing while speaking in tongues, the speaker, for himself also, should interpret what he is saying so that it is fruitful for his mind (1 Corinthians 14:14,15). If there is no interpreter in church, then the speaker should keep quiet and speak to himself and God (1 Corinthians 14:28).

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, the foundation has been laid.

Ephesians 2:20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the cornerstone.

1 Corinthians 3:11
For no one can lay a foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

No.

The foundation was not laid in the deep Amazon.

Rom 15:20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Speaking in tongues was also for knowing more about God's Truth, and it needed to be interpreted.

Those speaking in tongues could declare the wonders of God (Acts 2:11). They could also praise God in tongues (Acts 10:46). Not everyone spoke in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:5). If someone spoke in tongues, then they should pray that they should also interpret what they say, for the benefit of others (1 Corinthians 14:13,19). Even when praying and singing while speaking in tongues, the speaker, for himself also, should interpret what he is saying so that it is fruitful for his mind (1 Corinthians 14:14,15). If there is no interpreter in church, then the speaker should keep quiet and speak to himself and God (1 Corinthians 14:28).

No.

Tongues speaking edifies the speaker and others when interpreted.

When we pray in tongues our spirit prays--

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

You can not pray with the spirit, for you are not spiritual.

1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

1Co 14:36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
1Co 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
1Co 14:38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
1Co 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
1Co 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Tongues is not for new knowledge which you worship.

1Co 14:25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

1Co 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues,

LA

God's Truth

No.

The foundation was not laid in the deep Amazon.

Rom 15:20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:

LA

So you do not want to deal with the scriptures that I gave. You only want to try to nullify scripture with scripture.

The New Testament times is DURING the LAYING of the FOUNDATION.

Paul is not the only one who helped lay the foundation.

Psalm 118:22 The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief corner stone.

1 Corinthians 3:11 For no one can lay a foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 3:10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise master builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one must be careful how he builds.

2 Corinthians 10:16 so that we can preach the gospel in the regions beyond you. Then we will not be boasting in the work already done in another man's territory.