Right, Then...

El DLo

our belief in God explains the missing pieces

Yes, but the existence of God is in itself a missing piece. You may be able to fill in what's missing from the scientific understanding of the Universe's creation, but you're ignoring the fact that God himself has no explanation whatsoever.

zippy2006

Yes, but the existence of God is in itself a missing piece. You may be able to fill in what's missing from the scientific understanding of the Universe's creation, but you're ignoring the fact that God himself has no explanation whatsoever.

If you still think this then you are simply misunderstanding what is actually meant by God, but your time on TOL should have made that clear. Lennox does a nice job with this question imo.

badp

The evidence against Him seems huge, but I lay my last vestiges of hope in you guys (not to sound dramatic).

Can you elaborate on this "huge" evidence "against" God? I often hear this in undertones but rarely does someone just come out and make such a bold claim.

Refractive

There's still missing pieces, admittedly, but I find it no different than your lack of explanation for God's existence.

If we needed God to exist, where did he come from? If the Universe can't be eternal, why can God? If the universe can't come into existence, why didn't God have a creator?
Wait a minute. Who said the Universe isn't Eternal? Of course it is.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
So, I'm a high schooler of abnormal thinking, and have found it more and more difficult to believe in God, especially the one of the Bible.

Read:

1. Meno
2. Phaedo
3. Symposium
4. Phaedrus
5. Republic
6. Confessions
7. De Magistro
8. Monologium
9. Proslogium
10. Cur Deus Homo

1-5 are by Plato
6-7 are by St. Augustine
8-10 are by St. Anselm

Have your mom order these books immediately.

Until you've read every page, you can't even begin to know how "evident" God's existence is. :p

Yazichestvo

You'll definitely see a full spectrum of Christians here, so maybe you'll find what you're looking for. I'm a pagan who keeps coming back to TOL to mix things up. I'm obviously not the one to turn to in order to strengthen your faith in the Abrahamic God, but I wish you well.

ICameBack

No. St. Thomas Aquinas is too hard, and I really don't think that St. Thomas Aquinas is going to convince anyone. :noid:

Good point. How about Aristotle, then? Thomism is basically Christian Aristotelian anyway and everyone loves ancient Greece! But I may just have a soft spot for philosophy

Refractive

You'll definitely see a full spectrum of Christians here, so maybe you'll find what you're looking for. I'm a pagan who keeps coming back to TOL to mix things up. I'm obviously not the one to turn to in order to strengthen your faith in the Abrahamic God, but I wish you well.
Sounds to me like the Abrahamic God is the one he is rejecting. No doubt. You have to get deep into study of Scripture and metaphysics before that makes any sense.

But why reject Jesus Christ and the Gospel of Love, Light, forgiveness and Eternal Joy, I am not sure.

Maybe they forgot to tell him that part.

ICameBack

Sounds to me like the Abrahamic God is the one he is rejecting. No doubt. You have to get deep into study of Scripture and metaphysics before that makes any sense.

But why reject Jesus Christ and the Gospel of Love, Light, forgiveness and Eternal Joy, I am not sure.

Maybe they forgot to tell him that part.

Which is where I was but a few months ago. I dug this Jesus and His love thing but His dad was for the birds. When I realized that Jesus Christ is my Lord, I had to face His Father, and ask for His forgiveness. My prayer is that OP will get there in due time.
There is always the issue behind the issue. With me, I rejected the Father because it was too much to bear, but now I sing His praises!

Lon

Welcome.

I wrestled as well (in college).

He is there and He is not silent.

-Lon

El DLo

If you still think this then you are simply misunderstanding what is actually meant by God, but your time on TOL should have made that clear. Lennox does a nice job with this question imo.

So the reason God can be eternal but the universe can't is because... God is eternal? Come on now. I'm a little above that in my thinking. It's not practical to say "God doesn't follow the laws of physics because he exists outside the laws of them" because he STILL had to exist from somewhere.

zippy2006

So the reason God can be eternal but the universe can't is because... God is eternal? Come on now. I'm a little above that in my thinking. It's not practical to say "God doesn't follow the laws of physics because he exists outside the laws of them" because he STILL had to exist from somewhere.

Why? :chuckle:

There is lots of philosophical and metaphysical substance behind the concept of God which shows your question to be a category error, but in the end Lennox's simple point is correct: all you are doing is claiming that we believe in a created God when that's simply not what we believe in. :idunno:

You believe the universe is eternal and non-contingent? I'd say that's most obviously false, from everyday experience to the big bang. Why did He have to exist from somewhere? Are you claiming that everything which exists must have been created?

:e4e: