Right, Then...

Philovitist

A quick thought compelled me to type "theology forum" rather than "christian forum" into the search bar, due to the nature of my intentions for coming here. A theology forum might have slightly less blind thinkers than a christian one, you see.

The forum isn't what I expected, but it may be better.

So, I'm a high schooler of abnormal thinking, and have found it more and more difficult to believe in God, especially the one of the Bible. I really don't want to lose the gift the Bible promises, and now I rely on another of its promises that those who seek him will find him.

The evidence against Him seems huge, but I lay my last vestiges of hope in you guys (not to sound dramatic). Regardless, I've promised myself to always keep hoping and searching (though never suspending reason) for God throughout my life, in faith in this promise. I'm here to see how much you guys might help in said search.

I assume that I won't need to account for all the sources of my disbelief in one post, nor give my life's story, so I'll stop the intro here.

Mike C.

Welcome to TOL. Put on your thick skin as this place is no-holds-barred. Familiarize yourself with the TOL 10 Commandments as well as the Statement of Faith. This is a right-wing Christian forum, but it allows people of all persuasions to participate as long as they do not grossly insult God or curse. Keep that in mind and respect the admin and you will do fine. You'll receive all manner of viewpoints and be duly challenged.

Remember to keep an open mind, stay objective, and happy debating!

Mike

Philovitist

I have, and I will.

I'm not here to debate, but to discuss and consequently learn.

Of course, if I stay objective, though, I'd have no business here.

Refractive

A quick thought compelled me to type "theology forum" rather than "christian forum" into the search bar, due to the nature of my intentions for coming here. A theology forum might have slightly less blind thinkers than a christian one, you see.

Welcome Philovitist. I have advice! Try not to make up you mind permanently against God until you are.......42.

Maybe you'll find out He isn't what someone said He was, but Who you'd really like Him to be.

Ref~

El DLo

Welcome aboard! So naturally I'm gonna have the opposite advice of everyone else. They say to keep looking, but I say "keep open". That's not to say that I wish for you to disbelieve in God. However, view your doubts for what they are rather than as an affliction. Keep in mind that you're arriving at these doubts because of your own rationale. Be willing to have your doubts replaced, but don't seek to replace them, because only you can say deep down what you truly believe in, and if a lack of God is what you believe in, then that's what you'll keep arriving at.

Don't get me wrong. You're obviously here to learn, and that's great. The people on this board are very knowledgeable about the topics they tend to speak about, so they make for a fantastic free resource to improve your knowledge of religion.

Also, keep in mind that you can disbelieve in God without losing the teachings. The bible is full of great morals with real life applications. They serve as a guide for many people, with or without God, so if it's the safety and stability that religion provides that you long for,remember that you don't need God to be a person that lives that life. I live a life that's considerably moral (even by Christian standards), and I have no belief whatsoever in a deity of any sort.

Other than that, I hope to see you out on the debate floor!

El DLo

don't reject a god that has been defined by others
and
don't ignore the need for one

That's terrible advice Chryo. First off, science wouldn't even exist if nobody ever rejected what was already defined by others. Religion is the same. If you don't feel right believing what others believe, you're not obligated to believe it.

As for ignoring the need for one, that's totally subjective. From my position, there is no need for one. From his, who knows? People need to arrive at their own conclusions.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
That's terrible advice Chryo. First off, science wouldn't even exist if nobody ever rejected what was already defined by others. Religion is the same. If you don't feel right believing what others believe, you're not obligated to believe it.

As for ignoring the need for one, that's totally subjective. From my position, there is no need for one. From his, who knows? People need to arrive at their own conclusions.

do you want God to exist?

El DLo

do you want God to exist?

Me personally? I'm apathetic. So far the existence or non-existence of God hasn't made an impact in my life. If I'm wrong and there is a God, then I'm willing to be humble and admit my logical failings, but I have no specific desire for there to be a God, as I see no specific need for such a creator's existence, nor do I believe in one.

ICameBack

Welcome and peace be with you, Philovitist!
You have a great attitude- seek and ye shall find. Be honest and seek the heart of the matter. You will do just fine here. I'm only a newb myself but am learning the ropes quickly, don't get bogged down in the bickering and name calling.
I was once so opposed to God that I cursed His name and slandered Him and successfully drove believers away. Now I am so filled with His love that I hope to be a beacon for Christ.
As long as you don't let bitterness infect you and you seek Him and His love, you will find a way.

Peace and blessings to you Philovitist!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Me personally? I'm apathetic. So far the existence or non-existence of God hasn't made an impact in my life. If I'm wrong and there is a God, then I'm willing to be humble and admit my logical failings, but I have no specific desire for there to be a God, as I see no specific need for such a creator's existence, nor do I believe in one.

so you can explain our existence without any need for God?

El DLo

so you can explain our existence without any need for God?

There's still missing pieces, admittedly, but I find it no different than your lack of explanation for God's existence.

If we needed God to exist, where did he come from? If the Universe can't be eternal, why can God? If the universe can't come into existence, why didn't God have a creator?

I can explain our existence as humans, yes. If you're asking about the universe, then no, but there are plenty of theories that fit, and that's a lot better than religion has to offer. Not only that, but tests are done every day that better our understanding of the universe. Religion, however, only changes based on which aspect of society the religious right wishes to manipulate and desecrate. Beyond which brand of manipulation it's used for (not to say that religion only exists for that purpose), it is completely unchanging, and every day it lacks in just as much proof as it did the day before.

Take a look at my slogan. I think it sums it up.

ICameBack

Hey Philovitist, look !! They even hijacked your nice little intro thread to show you full force what this place is all about!:chuckle:

El DLo

Hey Philovitist, look !! They even hijacked your nice little intro thread to show you full force what this place is all about!:chuckle:

Let's be fair, Chryso hijacked it. My advice was perfectly relevant, but regardless, it does indeed illustrate what this site's about. And I imagine that our debate would be relevant to his interests.