Rewarded According To Works Yet Saved by Grace

iamaberean

Rewarded According To Works Yet Saved by Grace? How?
NJK Matthew 16:27 "For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.

NKJ Ephesians 2:8-9 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Using hermeneutics is how your question is answered.
1. Jesus is speaking to the Jews, they are the ones who were living under the law and they were judged by the law when Jesus came in 70 AD, just as he said he would.
2. Ephesians was written to the church. Our sins have been forgiven.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
NJK Matthew 16:27 "For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.

NKJ Ephesians 2:8-9 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Eternity's a long time. A googolplex is 10^(100^100) or (10^100)^100---I can't remember which, if either, and I also don't know if what I wrote there aren't equal numbers. :dizzy: Anyway, a googolplex is the biggest number I know of off hand. It will remain so until I can figure out the Latin for 33, which is needed in order to supersede a googolplex as the largest offhand number that I know. It's much much bigger than Avogadro's number, 6x10^23, the number of atoms in a . . . I believe gram-mole, but possible kilogram-mole---but I really think gram-mole or gmol or just mol (unqualified mol means "gram-mole," I believe). It's an enormous number. The Global sovereign debt is in the neighborhood of 100 trillion dollars on a PPP basis, and that's a scary-big number. Fortunately, the global economy can finance this debtload. That's 100x10^12 or 10^13, which is not almost half of 10^23, which would be 0.5x10^23 or 5x10^22, but 10 orders of magnitude less. This is the equivalent of a 0.1 part per billion concentration. Even lead is safe at this level in drinking water. 0.1 ppb, or 0.0001 ppm.

That's how small the global sovereign debt is, in PPP denominated in US Dollars ( $ ), compared to Avagardo's number, which is an even smaller number in relation to a googolplex. And a googolplex isn't even that big compared to eternity. Eternal life is going to be so long that there's literally going to be nobody that you're not going to meet, in the eternal kingdom of God the new heaven and the new earth. You will relive your moral offenses, with your victims, and all of them. You're gonna've, "Got the time."

(Tommy Boy. The great and tragically late, Chris Farley; died at 33, like Jesus did. (He was trying to sell the guy who "thought we were watching cartoons.") You're welcome if you get it. :D)

The scariest thing for me is that we're looking down the barrel of a gun, not just as Americans but as currently alive humans, wherever we live, of a race for United States President between two members of the dreaded quote-unquote one percenters. Trump and Clinton are only separated by two orders of magnitude in net worth. I personally am separated from Mr. Trump by five ( 5 ) orders of magnitude unless I've miscalculated, but Senator Clinton only trails him by two ( 2 ). She's partying in the same nightclubs as Trump is, is what I'm saying, while my own personal vehicle would be a scene in an 80s comedy, regarding how my vehicle would be treated by A-list valets. Neither of these people know what it's like to feel the anxiety when we realize we've forgotten to pay a utility bill. Neither of them. We wanted Bernie, we wanted Rubio, these people, we know, and we know, that they know, what that's like.

But given all that, I'd rather have Clinton. Because it'd be an interesting chapter in the very distant future's history books on American history. Literally, that's all, and that doesn't mean I'm a Democrat, it means I'm a republican, small R, meaning, that I believe in our republic. It's pretty awesome.

God's Truth

1. Jesus is speaking to the Jews, they are the ones who were living under the law and they were judged by the law when Jesus came in 70 AD, just as he said he would.

From the beginning of the Bible, to the end of the Bible; from the beginning of creation, to the end...it was, is, and always will be about obeying anything and everything GOD SAYS.

From the time of the angels in heaven getting cast down with Satan, to Adam and Eve merely having to obey "Do not eat from this tree", to our time, the end times, the last instructions that are to believe and obey Jesus...It is about obeying God.

Samie

Thanks for the answer. But do you think your answer sufficiently addressed the OP? Consider:

When He comes again, Jesus will reward each one according to His works (Matt 16:27 KJV; Rev 22:12 NASB). And that includes every one born into this world, including those you enumerated in #1 and #2 above. So whether living under the law or those of the Ephesian kind, all will be rewarded according to works.

And that takes us back to the OP.

iamaberean

First:
Matthew 16:27 "For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.

Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Notice: The dead were judged according to their works. Jews are the ones who were judged by their works. The books that were opened:
1. The Old Testament of Laws
2. Each one of the Jews life

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Second:
Ephesians 2:8-9 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.[/BOX][/QUOTE]
Written to Christians, who are not judged but have been saved by grace thru our faith while living.

Samie

Written to Christians, who are not judged but have been saved by grace thru our faith while living.
NAS Revelation 22:12 "Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done.

Not just WRITTEN to Christians, I suppose. It'S for EVERY MAN.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
First:
Matthew 16:27 "For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.

Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Notice: The dead were judged according to their works. Jews are the ones who were judged by their works. The books that were opened:
1. The Old Testament of Laws
2. Each one of the Jews life

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Second:
Ephesians 2:8-9 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.[/BOX]

[/QUOTE]

Quite so, the judgement spoken of happens AFTER the church is raptured [so shall we ever be with the Lord] and AFTER the 1,000 years reign in which they have reigned with Christ.

So who ever is to be rewarded it is not the church. Believe in the wider mercy.

Samie

The rapture you speak is the 2nd Coming where EVERY MAN gets rewarded according to what he has done. Matt 16:27; Rev 22:12.

iamaberean

The rapture you speak is the 2nd Coming where EVERY MAN gets rewarded according to what he has done. Matt 16:27; Rev 22:12.

Whenever one reads a scripture that has the word 'works' in it, it refers to those that were or had lived in the age of law. We live in the age of Grace, not Law.

Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Samie

Whenever one reads a scripture that has the word 'works' in it, it refers to those that were or had lived in the age of law. We live in the age of Grace, not Law.

Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Revelation was written AFTER Jesus resurrected and hence addressed to those living after the cross, in what you call the "age of Grace".

iamaberean

Revelation was written AFTER Jesus resurrected and hence addressed to those living after the cross, in what you call the "age of Grace".

That is true Samie, but Jesus told his disciples that the end of the age would come with the destruction of the temple, in their generation. It happened in 70 AD, a little less than 40 years after Jesus was crucified.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
That's not speaking to the same people. Those of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and even preached to by Peter in the Acts period's salvation was/will be dependent upon them doing something by faith (James 2:18 KJV):

Repent, and believe the gospel (Mark 1:4 KJV) by baptism of repentance for the remission of sins (Mark 1:4 KJV, Mark 16:16 KJV, Acts 2:38 KJV), keep the commandments (John 14:15 KJV, Matthew 23:2-3 KJV, John 15:5-10 KJV), endure to the end to be saved (Matthew 10:22 KJV), go through the trial of their faith (1 Peter 1:7 KJV), receiving the end of their faith, even the salvation of their souls (1 Peter 1:9 KJV). That salvation is of the grace that "should" come unto them (Acts 15:11 KJV, 1 Peter 1:10 KJV). They look forward that their sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord (which is at what many refer to as the second coming of the Lord (Acts 3:19-21 KJV).

Those like the Ephesians (Ephesians 2:11-13 KJV) to whom Paul wrote the letter are in the but now, where the righteousness of God without the law by the faith of Jesus Christ is unto all and upon all them that believe (Romans 3:21-22 KJV). To be saved today (like the Ephesians) is to trust the Lord believing the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) which is where the righteousness of God is revealed (Romans 1:16-17 KJV). Those who have trusted the Lord today having believed the gospel of Christ "are saved" presently (1 Corinthians 1:18 KJV, 1 Corinthians 15:2 KJV,Ephesians 2:5 KJV, Ephesians 2:8 KJV). Our salvation is all about what the Lord did in our place; not by works of righteousness which we have done (Romans 4:4-5 KJV, Ephesians 2:4-9 KJV, Titus 3:4-7 KJV). We are baptized BY one Spirit into one Body (not by water for the remission of sins 1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV). We have now received the atonement (Romans 5:11 KJV).

EXCELLENT Post.

Samie

That is true Samie, but Jesus told his disciples that the end of the age would come with the destruction of the temple, in their generation. It happened in 70 AD, a little less than 40 years after Jesus was crucified.
Christ did not return with His angels in 70 AD.

Christ was referring to His Second Coming in both Matt 16:27 and Rev 22:12, not to the destruction of the temple in 70 AD.

iamaberean

Christ did not return with His angels in 70 AD.

Christ was referring to His Second Coming in both Matt 16:27 and Rev 22:12, not to the destruction of the temple in 70 AD.

He did, I will believe that because Jesus told his disciples he would. You are just a human being, He is God. Every Christian should believe God.
Rom 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

God speaking to his disciples:

Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Samie

He did, I will believe that because Jesus told his disciples he would. You are just a human being, He is God. Every Christian should believe God.
Rom 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

God speaking to his disciples:

Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

All who remain in Christ keeping His word cannot taste death. Did you know that?

NKJ John 8:51-52 51 "Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death." 52 Then the Jews said to Him, "Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, 'If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.'

iamaberean

All who remain in Christ keeping His word cannot taste death. Did you know that?

NKJ John 8:51-52 51 "Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death." 52 Then the Jews said to Him, "Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, 'If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.'

Yes, I know that.
Jesus told Martha "who soever believeth in me shall never die" He also told the thief on the cross "this day shall thou be with me in paradise" the thief never died for he went with Jesus to paradise. Not his body, but his soul never died. Did you know that?

Samie

. . . He also told the thief on the cross "this day shall thou be with me in paradise" the thief never died for he went with Jesus to paradise. Not his body, but his soul never died. Did you know that?[/COLOR]
Yes, I know that is false doctrine.

Sinning souls shall die (Ezek 18:4, 20). Did you know that?