rep thread

journey

It's noon here in SW Oklahoma and a very pleasant 67 degrees. It's a nice change, and the forecast is more of the mild weather for the next several days. We're ready for the cooler weather.

journey

We had triple digits most of the summer, and 67 is unusual for us this time of year. Generally it's at least mid 90's and will be again in a few days. In the meantime, I plan to enjoy the lower temperatures.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
frost warnings overnight for those inland

I saw 38

eta: and the maples are popping - you wouldn't believe the colors I saw this morning

Spoiler
Sugar-Maple-Trees-Westchester-Tree-Life.jpg

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
our heat index is worse. 104 degrees here is hotter than Florida's 104
Not likely, unless you live in the tropics. It's the humidity that makes heat miserable. The worst I experienced was working for the AG in Montgomery. At least along the coast you can get breezes and, during the worst of it, a swim to cut the murderous nonsense, but there are weeks in Montgomery when the only movement through the air is people (shudders). No thanks.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Not likely, unless you live in the tropics. It's the humidity that makes heat miserable. The worst I experienced was working for the AG in Montgomery. At least along the coast you can get breezes and, during the worst of it, a swim to cut the murderous nonsense, but there are weeks in Montgomery when the only movement through the air is people (shudders). No thanks.

yes, we get the oppressive humidity and absolutely no hint of a breeze. we have work shutdowns after noon and emergency shelters all over. it gets hot and you're right it's not the temp as much as the stifling humidity; we get that here for at least a month a year. I know it gets hot in the south, Florida, Texas, Georgia etc., it really is the no breeze thing that kills.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
yes, we get the oppressive humidity and absolutely no hint of a breeze. we have work shutdowns after noon and emergency shelters all over. it gets hot and you're right it's not the temp as much as the stifling humidity; we get that here for at least a month a year. I know it gets hot in the south, Florida, Texas, Georgia etc., it really is the no breeze thing that kills.
SL is a real parallel, during the worst of the hot months, for Montgomery. Little air movement, high humidity, heat and a lot of asphalt to bake by. I would literally lie on the floor with a fan on me, living in a great old apartment with insufficient air conditioning. Terrific in the fall and winter, but ungodly from from April through September.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The average noontime temp/humidity during those months I mentioned?

April 77/84
May 84/87
June 90/87
July 92/90
Aug 92/90
Sept 87/88
Oct 78/86

So, essentially, for just short of half the year you're baking in a terrarium. Most people are comfortable at a humidity of 45. At 90 degrees temp a 90 humidity feels like 122 degrees of temp, which is what the average hot part of the day in Montgomery feels like for three solid months, being just a little better, feeling somewhere between 110 and 115 degrees for the two months on either side. The other two months, April and October, are only half hellish, with the other half in the bearable but hot mid eighties, cumulatively speaking.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
good morning

good morning

so what is new?

they are talking about the weather

don't you have a thread for that?

climate change

so why don't they use that?

I think they are looking for rep

what a joke that is

so why isn't it funny?

meshak

BANNED
Banned

April 77/84
May 84/87
June 90/87
July 92/90
Aug 92/90
Sept 87/88
Oct 78/86

So, essentially, for just short of half the year you're baking in a terrarium. Most people are comfortable at a humidity of 45. At 90 degrees temp a 90 humidity feels like 122 degrees of temp, which is what the average hot part of the day in Montgomery feels like for three solid months, being just a little better, feeling somewhere between 110 and 115 degrees for the two months on either side. The other two months, April and October, are only half hellish, with the other half in the bearable but hot mid eighties, cumulatively speaking.

This is like tropical, comparing Las Vegas, Phoenix and Texas.

Texas is high in humid and temperature.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

April 77/84
May 84/87
June 90/87
July 92/90
Aug 92/90
Sept 87/88
Oct 78/86

And just think, noon isn't the hottest part of the day, it seems to be between 3 and 5 is the sweltering hours. we routinely get over 90% humidity, but not today.