ECT Reformed Theology

oatmeal

Free will is real

Maybe you should define your terms.

What do you mean by free will?

Most people who object to free will seem to always include the power to do whatever they imagine they can do.

For instance, someone wants to create a frog. since man cannot create, therefore there is no free will?

Man can imagine what he wants to, think what he wants to, and believe or maybe we should say mentally assent to what he wants to.

Free will does not mean he can accomplish what he imagines he can do.

But is does mean he can freely choose and even will what he thinks, but that does not mean he can achieve what he wills, for man is not omnipotent.

Who is willing, besides me, to define what they mean by free will?

Has anyone posting here defined free will besides me?

Lon

Genesis 2

19 And God formed yet farther out of the earth all the wild beasts of the field, and all the birds of the sky, and he brought them to Adam, to see what he would call them, and whatever Adam called any living creature, that was the name of it.

You could not get past the first page of the Bible without your theory getting debunked.

Genesis 18

20 And the Lord said, “Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grave, 21 I will go down now and see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry against it that has come to Me; and if not, I will know.”

Seems he didn't see and didn't know. And it has nothing to do with ability.

Genesis 22

11 And an angel of the Lord called him out of heaven, and said, Abraam, Abraam. And he said, Behold, I am here. 12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the child, neither do anything to him, for now I know that thou fearest God, and for my sake thou hast not spared thy beloved son.

The point being he can know what is not knowable. And it also seems like he doesn't want to know certain things.
Either that is true or this is:
John 21:17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

It is similar to the Calvinism/OT discussion of "ALL."

Scripture must balance in agreement which is why I believe in the Omni's (scriptures in sig) and you do not. It HAS to go one way or the other for Scripture to be our final authority.

Lon

what is "Theology Club" and is it banned on this form? Just curious.
No, it is just a covenanted section to weed out drive-bys and insincerity. It was made more for discussion than debate so that some of the threads here would be of a higher caliber of substance. You can read there, just not post until you petition Knight or another mod to join there.

Lon

I use it when I want to express, "I wonder if this guy is even thinking?"

Do I follow RT? Maybe. It depends. Mostly I like it because it's reliable. I find RT accurate and sticks with the Bible teachings.

I learn mainly from my teacher the Holy Spirit.
You can't even do acronyms for it here on TOL. Language, minor (Acronyms, ****'s or otherwise alluding to the foul term even as remotely as an inaccurate term for posterior; or hard (saying it), is a TOL infraction.

Ephesians 4:29 & 5:4

rainee

There is no meat in reformed theology.
What do you mean?

Hello :)

If you are new here
welcome!

Regarding "meat" at TOL, you may want to be careful - there has been more said about meat and milk here than anywhere in the known world I think. One has even been run off over "meat" if I remember correctly - with meat phrases and words and yips chasing her all the way out and even ringing through the forum like echos in a canyon long after she was gone.

It was quite impressive but more than a little off setting.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
what does that mean?

Paul expresses it very well in Romans.7. speaking of his time under the law but not under Christ.

"The good that I will to do I do not but the evil that I will not, that is what I do."

He was very keen to serve God even as a youth. He thought he was doing good by holding the coats of the men who stoned Stephen.

He willed to do good...but he did evil.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
your people created the problem

free will no longer means free will
predestination no longer means predestination
election no longer means election
sin no longer means sin
etc

I protest!

We don't believe in free will, apart from God's sovereign will. Free will is made up, it is an illusion just like a mirage in the desert, the closer you get to look at it more clearly it just disappears into thin air.

We say predestination MEANS God pre planned, pre destined us. There is no scripture to support the view that God predestined sin or hell.

Election WE ARE THE ONES who say God chose us .... everyone else says they chose Him.

If you say sin is sin ok, but we say salvation from sin is salvation from sin.