Redskins

Lon

With respect, that doesn't really address or answer my point. I put it as plainly and clearly as I can think to in my last. I've yet to get an answer on it by literally anyone on the other side of the coin. I hear liberal this or majority that mixed often with the old we really mean it in a good way business, but no one comments directly on a fairly simple and straight forward analysis. I think that's telling, Lon. I don't think there's a good answer to it that sustains the point of keeping the name.

But who knows? One of these days I might get an answer on it and not another discussion about people who aren't offended by the term Redskin or the perceived politics of those who are, etc.
Out of curiosity, if I have an AFC team named "Women" cuz I think they are tough. If a few women file a lawsuit, is that worth the time of the day in court?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hey, don't project your issues onto me man.
I'm not. You did the two meanings/same word bit. The problem being that to apply it you'd end up calling two distinctly different fruits an orange. That's why it just doesn't work and to think it does, assuming a level of intelligence I'm crediting you with, is willfully blinkering yourself.

Whats ignorant is being "more left than right" and calling oneself a "Christian". That is schizo ignorant.
Talk to Knight. He doesn't have a centrist/moderate designation. It's either a little right or a little left of where I actually come down on those sorts of tests. But within that rough center I'm slightly more left than right of the hash, so I went with the marginally less misleading choice left to me.

That said, if you think being a little left is incompatible with Christianity I remove my earlier estimation and understand why you don't see the error in your orange offering. :plain:

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Hey, don't project your issues onto me man.
Whats ignorant is being "more left than right" and calling oneself a "Christian". That is schizo ignorant.
I'm not..........
Sure you are. I am not ignorant and I certainly am not willfully ignorant just because I don't use your politically correct terms and goosestep with your leftwing cohorts.

You on the other hand, calling yourself Christian and then associating yourself with the Left, the Left which supports abortion, gay marriage, and other abominations, THAT is TRULY ignorant. And it is willful as well.

So the next time you go flinging that term around, which you seem to love to do, you'd better examine yourself first.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Out of curiosity, if I have an AFC team named "Women" cuz I think they are tough. If a few women file a lawsuit, is that worth the time of the day in court?
Women isn't a term historically used in a negative manner. The response of actual women to its use would be puzzling. Now I notice you used a word that paints the consideration in an unreasonable light, not Wop or Spic or Kike or Redskin, all of which have been used to insult a people and all of which have been for many within the targeted group transformed into near endearments when uttered kind to kind, but which might not be the best idea in terms of naming a sports team.

Now try taking my point literally.

To me it's this simple: if you don't mean to offend people, forgetting the whole "complimenting" business, then continuing to use a term that offends a growing and not inconsiderable number of Native Americans strikes me as a bad idea and worse manners.

Off to bed. I look forward to your direct address of my point. :e4e:

Lon

To me it's this simple: if you don't mean to offend people, forgetting the whole "complimenting" business, then continuing to use a term that offends a growing and not inconsiderable number of Native Americans strikes me as a bad idea and worse manners.

Off to bed. I look forward to your direct address of my point. :e4e:
Okay, I'll just tell you why I support it instead: 1) I have some pride in my 1/4 and like being reminded of that nationality so I say the team name stays as far as that is concerned 2) I think I'd like my nation to get risidual checks and would rather they vie for half-time shows and such. 3) It is a great logo

If it is gone, it is gone, but I think even bad press is better than no press. Indians have gone unnoticed and that isn't good either. I believe we ought to include them in society and think bumbling is better than nothing. My 2 cents.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Okay, I'll just tell you why I support it instead: 1) I have some pride in my 1/4 and like being reminded of that nationality so I say the team name stays as far as that is concerned 2) I think I'd like my nation to get risidual checks and would rather they vie for half-time shows and such. 3) It is a great logo

If it is gone, it is gone, but I think even bad press is better than no press. Indians have gone unnoticed and that isn't good either. I believe we ought to include them in society and think bumbling is better than nothing. My 2 cents.

what do you think of town's attempts to paint indians as easily embarrassed and emotionally distressed?

Lon

what do you think of town's attempts to paint indians as easily embarrassed and emotionally distressed?
Right, but you and I are macho kinda guys and smile when someone calls us a derogatory name, and oddly, take it as a compliment and battle scar we are proud of on occassion. Do you think it 'could' be that you and I are the weirdos? I'm not sure, but macho isn't as cool as it used to be.

We might be the odd man out.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
To me it's this simple: if you don't mean to offend people.....

i'm offended by your attempts to paint indians as easily embarrassed emotionally fragile whiners

and i demand that you stop

You on the other hand, calling yourself Christian and then associating yourself with the Left, the Left which supports abortion, gay marriage, and other abominations, THAT is TRULY ignorant. And it is willful as well.

he's not a Christian :idunno:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Right, but you and I are macho kinda guys and smile when someone calls us a derogatory name, and oddly, take it as a compliment and battle scar we are proud of on occassion. Do you think it 'could' be that you and I are the weirdos? I'm not sure, but macho isn't as cool as it used to be.

We might be the odd man out.

i suspect town is a metrosexual :peach:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I am easily offended by many things
and
I hope I will always be easily offended
but
that is not your problem
and
it is not a problem for me

Lon

i suspect town is a metrosexual :peach:

See, there you go again thinking we are the norm :chuckle:

We might be the odd ducks. You know, you might actually belong on a horse on a range sometime ago... that sort of thing.

I'm not metro either, though I live in a city :think:

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Here's whats fascinating: These Lefties who are so concerned with names and words never lift a finger to get rid of reservations and bring Indians into the fullness of society with all its opportunities and benefits. The Left is happy to see them languish in horrible reservation conditions as long as we call them the correct name.

This is typical leftwing hypocrisy: All style, no substance. Sort of like Obama - big mouth, hollow suit.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Women isn't a term historically used in a negative manner.

not to the majority of rational people, no

but i thought you were interested in accommodating thin skinned minorities of a population, eg the 10% of whiners who are emotionally fragile and easily embarrassed

shouldn't you be worried about the feelings of those feminists who agitate for the use of "womyn"?

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
not to the majority of rational people, no

but i thought you were interested in accommodating thin skinned minorities of a population, eg the 10% of whiners who are emotionally fragile and easily embarrassed

shouldn't you be worried about the feelings of those feminists who agitate for the use of "womyn"?

If I had a million dollars I would bet it all right now without a second thought that there are some women out there who think that the words "men" and "women" are sexist. Seriously. I have heard similar stuff from leftwing extremists.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Okay, I'll just tell you why I support it instead:
Sorry you chose not to address my points, but in fairness, I didn't expect it from anyone with a contrary position. Because there's no real answer to it that doesn't insist on avoiding the plain truth. It's pointlessly rude and contrary to the absurd flattery/compliment notion.

Or, as I said in another ignored illustration, if you say madam and a woman is offended, when you meant to compliment, you don't keep calling her madam, or if you do you can't hide it behind that sentiment.

1) I have some pride in my 1/4 and like being reminded of that nationality so I say the team name stays as far as that is concerned
Because you don't find it offensive. That's not the issue. The issue is how we address those who are offended. That ten percent and growing number.

2) I think I'd like my nation to get risidual checks and would rather they vie for half-time shows and such.
Because it doesn't offend you. Again, you aren't the person at the heart of this suit. I've freely noted most Native Americans, most people aren't offended. I've freely admitted that it's unlikely that most people mean to offend. All the more reason for them not to where the offense is needless.

3) It is a great logo
To you. To a number of people for a number of reasons. That's not the issue.

If it is gone, it is gone, but I think even bad press is better than no press.
So you think the New York "N-" would be better than nothing? The New Jersey Kikes? The Arizona Spics? I don't think you really believe that. I think it goes back to your not being personally offended and your unwillingness to look past that blinker, which is why I'm having a mostly one sided conversation with you, both of us considering your side of it rather exclusively.

Indians have gone unnoticed and that isn't good either. I believe we ought to include them in society and think bumbling is better than nothing. My 2 cents.
Supra. Now if you ever feel like taking hold of my points I'd be really curious on how you answered them.

Quincy

You can't please everyone, Town. If we create a PC society where no one is offended there won't be any technicolor, if you know what I'm saying.

The offended people here are just ashamed, I'd bet. Why change a brand over a minority's shame? It's a very small amount of people who are offended.

I would be offended if they changed it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You can't please everyone, Town.
I think that's true. It's also true that not being able to do every good is no excuse for not doing what we can. And this we can do. This we should do, especially if we claim the offense not only wasn't meant, but that a compliment was meant instead.

If we create a PC society where no one is offended there won't be any technicolor, if you know what I'm saying.
I do, but I'm weary of the PC nonsense. It's ever the last hiding place of people without an actual argument against a proposition. Wave PC at it and everyone sidles away. Meh.

The offended people here are just ashamed, I'd bet. Why change a brand over a minority's shame?
They're offended by a stereotype that reasonably can offend, as per Webster's. What better reason to change the name of the capitol team in the American pastime than it doesn't actually do what so many laying claim to it meant it to do for many of the people it represents?

It's a very small amount of people who are offended.
If I said one in ten people are going to get cancer I doubt you'd say that's a small number.

I would be offended if they changed it.
Racists hated segregation too, by which I only mean to dramatically note that it isn't offense, but a) the reasonableness thereof and b) what those who offend say they mean to accomplish that is the point here in my argument.

:e4e: