Redskins

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
someone should take a poll and see how indians feel about morons like town painting them as whiny wussie emo's who are easily embarrassed and emotionally distressed

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
You a recognized member of an American Native tribe? Because if you aren't you're not entitled to the name.

i am a Native American

i never claimed to be "a recognized member of an American Native tribe"

nice attempt to move the goal posts, though :thumb:

I'll be back later to respond to the rest.

thanks for the warning :thumb:

i'll go get the hip waders

shagster01

- - That's right, I said Indians, not Native-Americans. If anyone does not like that then put your complaint in an envelope and mail it some someone who give a darn.

I don't have a problem with you saying it, other than it is factually incorrect being that they are not from India. So that kinda makes you look stupid.

BTW, what do you call people from India?

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
I don't have a problem with you saying it, other than it is factually incorrect being that they are not from India...............

Did you know that it is possible for one word to have more than one definition? I point that out in case you have never cracked open a dictionary.

......that kinda makes you look stupid..............

If I look stupid to the stupid, then I'm cool with that.

BTW, what do you call people from India?

I call them Indians.

When you use the word "orange" are you referring to citrus fruit or the color?
Oh, wait, the one word works for both. Wow, who would have thunk it.

Someone may well look stupid here but that someone ain't me.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...When you use the word "orange" are you referring to citrus fruit or the color?
Oh, wait, the one word works for both. Wow, who would have thunk it.
Except there aren't two fruits called an orange, just as there aren't two different peoples called Indians, except by the willfully ignorant.

i am a Native American

i never claimed to be "a recognized member of an American Native tribe"

nice attempt to move the goal posts, though :thumb:
No, that was your attempt. If you aren't a recognized member of a Native American tribe then chances are you can call yourself a native American, but not a Native American, as I noted earlier.

So likely you're either trying the lame "I was born here so I'm native," which is back to the little "n" or you have a little Native American blood in you (like a great many Americans) but not enough to qualify you for recognition or the label. Else, what's your blood ratio and the corresponding tribe? You may qualify. Some membership qualifying is as slight as 1/16, though you'll need 1/4 to qualify on federal grants for Native Americans.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
i know that an ancestor came over from holland in 1632 and settled in New England, his descendents becoming prominent in upstate New York in the early 1700s and beyond

given the interaction between french settlers before the french and indian war, and given the fact that most French Canadian families have some intermarriage with indians and given that genealogical practice leads to about 40,000 ancestors at that level...

it would be kinda foolish to think i didn't have some indian blood in me

but that's beside the point

i was born here, my folks were born here, their folks were born here

i'm a Native American

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sure, that could be it. And I've stated as much. But it's still a mark in favor of those that understand the name is not being used as a pejorative. Your best answer is to say it isn't a complete proof even though it isn't offered as such. But I always respect the best answer.
I'd say any objective approach leads to the conclusion that most people aren't offended by it, Native American or not, but that a growing number are and a large percentage of Native Americans are and if no offense is meant by using the historically offensive term then it makes no real sense not to change it.

I wrote: You don't have to believe calling a Native American "redskin" is a "horrible injustice" to believe it's wrong headed and to question why anyone who says it would continue to say it once he sees the objection.
Yes, you must see it as a horrible injustice...
No, you don't, supra. Trying to insist I must for no real reason other than it suits your desire to be dismissive is about as fair as if I suddenly decided that you must be a racist for defending a use that would be acceptable in use by racists and which offends a goodly number of Native Americans for no good reason.

Of course it would be as silly for me to think that as it is for you to think I must be X when it needn't be and I've told you it isn't applicable to my position. I'm more in the incredulous camp, watching people try to justify a thing by pointing at anything and everything but the inescapable truth that people are being needlessly offended and those who claim to want the opposite are fighting for the right to continue to offend. :plain:

Because it is, in fact, a compliment.
Demonstrably not to ten percent of the people who you claim are meant to be "complimented". This isn't complicated. If you call a woman madam and she takes umbrage, then you stop calling her that, even if and especially if you meant it positively. You don't insist that she see it your way or, if you do, what you're really saying is that you don't care what she thinks and it isn't about her to begin with, that the complimentary bit is so much smoke.

Maybe you aren't as familiar with Rex's earlier work. He used to be more rational and intelligent (albeit mixed with youthful inexperience). He's abandoned that early success for incoherent conclusions and debate tactics. I think I'm safe in saying that pride was a foundational reason for him to devolve instead of grow.
Curious. I've differed with Rex often enough and strongly on at least one subject, but I've never found him less than well considered, rhetorically and logically sound. He's also the sort who will meet a well argued difference with consideration and humor, agreement notwithstanding. I count him among those I enjoy reading around here, sometimes especially for our differences.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...So likely you're either trying the lame "I was born here so I'm native," which is back to the little "n" or you have a little Native American blood in you (like a great many Americans) but not enough to qualify you for recognition or the label. Else, what's your blood ratio and the corresponding tribe? You may qualify. Some membership qualifying is as slight as 1/16, though you'll need 1/4 to qualify on federal grants for Native Americans.

...i was born here, my folks were born here, their folks were born here

i'm a Native American
Like I said, supra, and:

No. You're native to the United States of America, a small "n", native American.

Native American: a member of any of the first groups of people living in North America or South America; especially : a member of one of these groups from the U.S. - Merriam Webster

European settlers aren't among those.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
you're a pedantic retard

i was born here

my folks were born here

their folks were born here

etc, etc, etc

thus, i'm a Native American

and you, my inbred southern "friend", are a retard

i suspect your folks were retards

i suspect their folks were retards

etc, etc, etc

Lon

A native American was born here. A Native American is of and from the earliest peoples here, popularly mislabeled "Indians".
The Native American cemetary, on native grounds, in my city is called the "Indian Cemetary" with that label.

I'd think that'd count for something in the way of a counterpoint :think:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Native American cemetary, on native grounds, in my city is called the "Indian Cemetary" with that label.

I'd think that'd count for something in the way of a counterpoint :think:
To me it's this simple: if you don't mean to offend people, forgetting the whole "complimenting" business, then continuing to use a term that offends a growing and not inconsiderable number of Native Americans strikes me as a bad idea and worse manners.

Lon

To me it's this simple: if you don't mean to offend people, forgetting the whole "complimenting" business, then continuing to use a term that offends a growing and not inconsiderable number of Native Americans strikes me as a bad idea and worse manners.

I suppose if colored started calling their cemetaries "N- Cemetaries, we'd think they were just complaining after that. They are not. "Indians" are and do. Being near reservations, I have full-blooded Indian friends. I'm not just talking from my 1/8 and 1/8 (1/4).

To me, that is what doesn't make sense. If a minority of women sue us all for the offense of the term "women," when does such become petty and stupid?

Are my Native friends going to have to stop calling themselves "Indians" because those on the East Coast don't like it?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I suppose if colored started calling their cemetaries "N- Cemetaries, we'd think they were just complaining after that.They are not. "Indians" are and do. Being near reservations, I have full-blooded Indian friends. I'm not just talking from my 1/8 and 1/8 (1/4).
Lon
With respect, that doesn't really address or answer my point. I put it as plainly and clearly as I can think to in my last. I've yet to get an answer on it by literally anyone on the other side of the coin. I hear liberal this or majority that mixed often with the old we really mean it in a good way business, but no one comments directly on a fairly simple and straight forward analysis. I think that's telling, Lon. I don't think there's a good answer to it that sustains the point of keeping the name.

But who knows? One of these days I might get an answer on it and not another discussion about people who aren't offended by the term Redskin or the perceived politics of those who are, etc.