Rebuttal of the dreadful doctrine of reprobation

Nang

TOL Subscriber
The Reformed view of perseverance (as I understand it) views salvation more as a continuous process whereby the enduring to the end proves one's standing in Christ.

Which provokes the accusations that Reformers do not really know if they are elect, until the end. Perseverance becomes the litmus test of salvation, rather than faithful endurance being the promise of God.

So (it seems to me) that the distinction between working for salvation and working because one is saved becomes almost indefinable and could very easily bring about antinomianism just as much as works salvation.

Agreed, and I understand and hear you, but why is perseverance, endurance, or overcoming ever to be referred to as "works" or "proof of salvation?" Whose works are considered to actually reach these conclusions? Mans' or God's? That is the ultimate determination, is it not?

That's why it is vital to have the foundation in which one rests in Christ to provide so that he (or she) can work effectually.

Rest in Christ, is so Christ can work . . . not us busy resting in Him as we work. Right?

It is His work in and through us that I see as those good works. That's why the ones Jesus commends say "When did we...?" etc... They have done the works but they aren't properly their own - thus men glorify God when they see those works.

Yes, and amen. This is how I see it, but my husband I see and grieve a lot about the subtle deviations (stated and fussed about above) in Reformed camps these days ...

Hopefully that clarifies a little...

Thank you, and I hope you will patiently accept my responses in same manner.

nikolai_42

Agreed, and I understand and hear you, but why is perseverance, endurance, or overcoming ever to be referred to as "works" or "proof of salvation?" Whose works are considered to actually reach these conclusions? Mans' or God's? That is the ultimate determination, is it not?

As far as I can see it is. But it's a tricky point because we can't always discern between a "work of the flesh" and a "work of God". Paul told us to judge nothing before the time as part of the same passage that speaks of stewards being found faithful (I Cor 4:1-5). And when one claims one's own righteousness, it seems to me that you wind up with what I Cor 4:6 describes and I Cor 4:7 counters. What do you have that you didn't receive? And if we are prone to not even knowing our own hearts, then how much more critical is it for us to be careful how we walk before God?

As far as the first question about works being "proof" of salvation, these I believe are the fruits of a tree. And the Lord's instruction to the churches in Revelation was generally be faithful unto death or overcome and I will give you a crown. Walk in the spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh tells me that this is only accomplished by the power of the Spirit of God (and note, also, I Cor 4:20). These are all generalities and speaking about things that can't be easily defined, so it's not as though one can always say "this is God's work" or "this is man's work". Some works of the flesh are clear (or "manifest" as Gal 5:19-21 says) but some take time to show their fruit. But wherever the fruit of the Spirit is (Gal 5:22-23) one can be sure the work of God is active.

A final thought (maybe a little indulgent, but...) - it occurs to me that the scripture that says that there is a way that seems right to a man but the end there of is the ways of death (Prov 14:12) is speaking about man sincerely going wrong. Man THINKS he knows what is right, but he doesn't. And the thing is, it isn't often clear that it is death he is following until he gets to the end of that work. So judging a work to be of God or of man is, I think, something that often takes time to be able to do.[/quote]

Rest in Christ, is so Christ can work . . . not us busy resting in Him as we work. Right?

Yes, and amen. This is how I see it, but my husband I see and grieve a lot about the subtle deviations (stated and fussed about above) in Reformed camps these days ...

I honestly think the same thing happens in many different denominations and "streams" of broader Christianity. Even the Charismatic wing of Christianity (far removed) speaks about the Spirit of God and its moving but often judges it by a very humanistic standard. So I think it is a challenge to so discern regardless of one's camp.

Thank you, and I hope you will patiently accept my responses in same manner.

I certainly do.

Sonnet

Then why did you bring up Peter and the fact that he denied Christ?

...because when it comes to a test I am admitting that I might fail...that's all.

Why then do you say you are not a Christian?

You are the one who made a point of telling everyone that you are not a Christian.

I was just being straight with everyone since this is ECT - not because I wanted to say it. I don't have a desire to speak about it.

God's Truth

...because when it comes to a test I am admitting that I might fail...that's all.

I was just being straight with everyone since this is ECT - not because I wanted to say it. I don't have a desire to speak about it.

If you are not a Christian, why are you concerned about denying him?

Sonnet

That, right there, is what is wrong with a lot of Christianity today- you all want the good things, with none of the responsibility and otherwise convicting faith that is required of it. Everyone wants the convenient way- a watered down Christianity that requires no sacrifice. You just bargain with God, with an idea that you win either way.

Which is a worthless Christianity.
That is what you find outside of Reformed doctrine.

This does not represent my view. You made an assumption Crucible.

I acknowledge those responsibilities.

Sonnet

The writings of both Calvin and Luther support this, as they did not want people calling themselves Lutherans or Calvinists. Today, it is a simple distinction and not meant to say that we follow the man over, our Lord, Jesus Christ.

If Spurgeon's claim that, 'Calvinism is the Gospel,' is correct, then Arminians are unregenerate since they don't believe that Gospel.

Sonnet

It's not a failure on God's part. A man can look into his fishbowl and say that fish loves me. He can look into his birdcage and say that bird loves me. Well sure. The fish can't get out of his bowl and the bird can't get out of his cage. Men must choose to love God--or not. They must be tested to see if their love is genuine.

Tests of Faith, by: difficult demands (Gen. 12:1, 2), severe trials (Job 1:6–22), prosperity of the wicked (Ps. 73:1–28), hardships (2 Cor. 11:21–33). Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1996). Nelson’s quick reference topical Bible index (p. 612). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

The word 'failure' was referring to me.

Sonnet

Only those who believe in God's only begotten Son will go to heaven, and that limits the atonement. It is a statement of identity, right?

There aren't any scriptures that explicitly substantiate Calvinism's limited atonement. Read vv.14-16 and it is clear that provision is made for those that might decide to shun God. That is the good news.

Who believes? Those whom the Father draws. John 6:44 (KJV)

Don't stop reading....Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me.

Acts 7:51, John 12:32

Sonnet

Thanks for asking. The word 'reprobate' is in the Bible and it is about those who are so bad they are reprobate. That is not about all humans.

The word 'regenerate' is in the Bible and it is about when a person receives the Holy Spirit...after they are saved.

Ephesians 1:13-14
And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

God's Truth

Ephesians 1:13-14
And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

I am not sure why you posted that scripture and what you are trying to use it for; however, that scripture is about having to believe we have to believe that we have to obey.

Sonnet

Their god is a monster not worthy of worship. :granite: Our God is loving and just. :straight:

Why would he make a being in his image who never really got a choice to choose him at all? It's sort of insulting himself, isn't it?

How can he hold a being responsible for making a wrong choice when he didn't get a choice?

Why ask his followers to love others when the ones they love will burn for all eternity? Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all? :freak: Ro 9:3, Mt 26:24

And the problem for those who subscribe to Arminianism is how God remains in control. Genuine choice means an ability to not be predetermined...at which point God loses control.

It would seem that God's foreknowledge becomes critical if we are to explain this seeming impasse.

Sonnet

Romans 9:22
What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction?

This would be every man, I believe.

Sonnet

Nope.

No "trying" or "wooing" tactics employed by God Almighty.

Persuasions unnecessary . . .

God's will be done despite any ignorant, unbelieving, emotional, rebellious responses from His creatures.

Acts 7:51.

Sonnet

These are the same people who believe that God sees a future that doesn't exist. :dizzy:

Peter would deny him three times before the rooster crowed. He had to see into the future they say (an idea that comes from Greek paganism not scripture [God outside of time, fate, etc.]). God could pinch and rooster to make it crow. No rooster around? God could make a bunny rabbit crow if need be. God has a plan. He's calling out a people for his namesake. Whosoever will--will be his. Whosoever won't--won't be his. That's it. You're interested in Jesus? You hear his voice? You're his. You're not interested in Jesus? Don't hear his voice? You're not his.

Isaiah 46:10

Sure God knows all that is, has and will occur. God must be Sovereign mustn't He?

How did He guarantee Jesus ended up on the cross?