Rebuttal of the dreadful doctrine of reprobation

Sonnet

The doctrine of unconditional election and reprobation would seem to be the most awful case of discrimination we as humans could ever conceive of. God predetermines who will be saved and who will be passed by and Man has absolutely no say in the matter. It's dreadfulness needs no further explanation.

However, by focusing absolutely on the depravity of man then the Calvinist appears to extricate the doctrine from such a charge. "The man deserves nothing," he retorts - that God determined to save anyone is something that we should be grateful for they say.

Seemingly, the doctrine is thus extricated.

But here's the rub:

Romans 10:1-13
Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Moses writes this about the righteousness that is by the law: “The person who does these things will live by them.” But the righteousness that is by faith says: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down) “or ‘Who will descend into the deep?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Paul holds out the offer of salvation to his kinsman through belief. Only a disingenuous person would speak so whilst holding to the doctrine of reprobation.

I hereby challenge any Calvinist to explain why they yet remain believing such a doctrine despite Paul's words.

Last edited:

Sonnet

Think about what's actually occurring when a Calvinist tells an unbeliever to believe in Christ'resurrection from the dead so that he might be saved. The preacher doesn't believe that Christ died for all, nor rose for all; unbelievers who might be reprobates are, nevertheless, told to believe it - an event that is for the benefit of someone else.

Such a preacher is guilty of deception - unless, of course, he explains his doctrine...thus eviscerating the very Gospel he just spoke.

Throw out the doctrine and the problem vanishes.

Sonnet

If you are not a Christian, why are you so concerned about what a Christian believes?

What scripture actually claims about God and the 'Good News' of Christ is the very substance of what I am to believe in. Believing in the God of Calvinism is a universe away from believing in the Arminian version.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The claims Jesus and scripture make are great, and I do care. My unbelief isn't an assertion that scripture is false.

Why the harsh tone Patrick?
Cuz you're a man. I don't like men. But how can you believe scripture and not Jesus Christ ?

Sonnet

But how can you believe scripture and not Jesus Christ ?

I didn't say I believed one over the other. I am simply looking at what scripture claims and assessing it.

And some folk say that Christ didn't die for all and that God chose whom He would pass by. Pretty shocking...

Cross Reference

:confused:
What scripture actually claims about God and the 'Good News' of Christ is the very substance of what I am to believe in. Believing in the God of Calvinism is a universe away from believing in the Arminian version.

I understand completely re Calvinism, which has been a bane to all of Christendom, and any other 'ism' it has spawned. However, I am still left trying to figure out why one of such articulated knowledge about Christ as you possess, hasn't as yet arrived at a conclusion settled in Him since so much of what you share, declares Him? <...I don't get it ...:confused:...>.

Sonnet

I understand completely re Calvinism, which has been a bane to all of Christendom, and any other 'ism' it has spawned. However, I am still left trying to figure out why one of such articulated knowledge about Christ as you possess, hasn't as yet arrived at a conclusion settled in Him since so much of you share, declares Him? I don't get it.

Frankly, nor do I...but there it is.