Real Science Radio CRSQ (Vol 43, Num 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Morphy_ said:
It is amazing to me how an airplane can fly but it is obviously possible since I have experienced it many times...

Good for you. But experiencing in the present is different than imagining what might have happened in the past.

If we cannot imagine something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It only proves our imagination has limits...

On the other hand if we can imagine something that doesn't prove that it does exist either. Science fiction is still fiction.

Obviously if molecules can create a monkey, a dolphin and Deep Blue (chess program which won against the best human player Kasparov) they can also make a man...

Yes, but that doesn't support the idea that a man descended from a monkey (ape).

Morphy

bob b said:
If I might butt into this argument, I believe the good doctor has fallen victim to the multiple definitions of evolution.
As many people as many definitions. There is just one Bible and thousands of churches teaching different ideas...

My opinion about evolution was changing when I was a teenager. Since then it is the same and all the scientific news I hear only back it up. Why change a theory which explains perfectly human and animal behaviour?

bob b said:
Mere change is not the same as an increase in information.
You would be right IF the sickle cell anemia gene would replace all other hemoglobine genes. But it doesn't! Due to a single mutation we get one extra gene in human population. Due to evolution we get millions of copies.

May I ask you: if you have $1 bill and you get an extra 1 Canadian dollar bill - what does it mean?
- you have more money?
- you have the same amount of money?
- you have less money?
- I don't know.

According to me if you have more money it means you have more money... It doesn't mean you "changed" money...

bob b said:
Adding variety to a gene pool is not the same as increasing the amount of information in any single individual.

No it isn't, but it can be.

If there is just one copy of a gene in a gene pool then you can have the same gene from your father as from your mother. BUT if there are 2 different genes you may have 4 different combinations thus amount of information in a single individual INCREASES.

Let's say there is no sickle cell anemia gene (Hbs) and only regular hemoglobine gene (Hb) (to simplify I don't mention other alleles).

Thus information in any single individual is always the same:
Hb - Hb (a gene from father - a gene from mother).

There is mutation, Hbs gene is created, there can be 4 different possibilities:
Hb - Hb
Hbs - Hb
Hb - Hbs
Hbs - Hbs

Let me ask you, and I would like to hear your answer:
Does new genes increase amount of information among some individuals?

bob b said:
Creationists do not argue that information in a gene pool cannot change..

Thank god we don't have to prove that ;) (joke)

bob b said:
What they argue is that the enormous increase of information necessary to go from a hypothetical primitive protocell to a human being cannot occur via random mutations, even if all the failed trials are eliminated by natural selection.

The reasons are twofold:

1) there are way too many possible mutations for that process to work, and

2) creatures are composed of systems, each of which involves multiple proteins, with many proteins participating in multiple systems simultaneously (being in the genetic disease field I am sure you know this).

That is why cells are much more complicated than higher organisms. Evolution of bacteria is much faster than evolution of man. That is why we have bacteria resistant to antibiotics and we don't have people resistant to bacteria... ;)

If you ask your doctor - everyone will tell you human organs are not used in 100% percent. They have huge reserves in case of mutations, malformations and so on. Evolution provided us with reserves ;) For example you need only 20% of your liver to live, 25% of nephrons (a functional unit of a kidney) to live, but the heart and lungs are the best example: measure your pulse and breath rate while you rest in bed, run as fast as you can for 1000 feet and check it one more time.

bob b said:
Mutations cannot accumulate in a linear fashion to achieve major transformations such as reptiles to birds or mammals.
They don't have to. If there is a "good gene" it multiplies. When there is a "bad gene" it either disappears or is decimated.

bob b said:
All breeders know that changes can be achieved only up to a certain point: the process cannot be extrapolated further than that.
Yeah, sure: it is gravitation and physical rules which limit us. That's why we don't have dogs the same size as ants while we have dogs like rats or guinea pigs.

bob b said:
Thus, the scenario that creatures were created in multiple forms at the beginning, and diversified within these "kinds", is superior to the concept that all creatures descended from a hypothetical primitive protocell.

Sorry about that. ;)

A tone of gold if you define your "kinds".
You demand us to prove what is already proven while you use terms like "kinds" and no one of you can define them precisely

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Morphy_ said:
Pity to say, but this is not an argument. This is an insult.

It was meant to be an insult, aimed at someone who specializes in insults, and whose major contribution to discussions here is to tell those who disagree with him to "learn some science".

Let's focus on arguments not on personal insults like "strange human". I think we can do better than liberals, can't we?

Not always. There is a limit to my patience with those like Jukia.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Morphy_ said:
As many people as many definitions. There is just one Bible and thousands of churches teaching different ideas...

Why bring the Bible into a discussion about science? Does it help your case?

My opinion about evolution was changing when I was a teenager. Since then it is the same and all the scientific news I hear only back it up. Why change a theory which explains perfectly human and animal behaviour?

Evolution explains human behavior? :nono:

You would be right IF the sickle cell anemia gene would replace all other hemoglobine genes. But it doesn't! Due to a single mutation we get one extra gene in human population. Due to evolution we get millions of copies.

I believe you mean we get a different allele (version).

May I ask you: if you have $1 bill and you get an extra 1 Canadian dollar bill - what does it mean?
- you have more money?
- you have the same amount of money?
- you have less money?
- I don't know.

You don't get an "extra" gene. You might get a "mutated" gene.

According to me if you have more money it means you have more money... It doesn't mean you "changed" money...

That is because you "assumed" you got more money.

If there is just one copy of a gene in a gene pool then you can have the same gene from your father as from your mother. BUT if there are 2 different genes you may have 4 different combinations thus amount of information in a single individual INCREASES.

It is better to talk about alleles, i.e. versions.

Let's say there is no sickle cell anemia gene (Hbs) and only regular hemoglobine gene (Hb) (to simplify I don't mention other alleles).

Thus information in any single individual is always the same:
Hb - Hb (a gene from father - a gene from mother).

There is mutation, Hbs gene is created, there can be 4 different possibilities:
Hb - Hb
Hbs - Hb
Hb - Hbs
Hbs - Hbs

Let me ask you, and I would like to hear your answer:
Does new genes increase amount of information among some individuals?

Again, you should talk about alleles, but the answer is no.

That is why cells are much more complicated than higher organisms. Evolution of bacteria is much faster than evolution of man. That is why we have bacteria resistant to antibiotics and we don't have people resistant to bacteria... ;)

The bacteria are resistent because they have lost the "characteristic" that the antibiotic was making use of to target them for destruction. Losing a normal characteristic is a loss of information, which in this case can be beneficial. However, losing information will not transform a bacterium into a non-bacterium.

If you ask your doctor - everyone will tell you human organs are not used in 100% percent. They have huge reserves in case of mutations, malformations and so on. Evolution provided us with reserves ;)

Actually, a "failsafe" or "failsoft" design is what a clever designer (human or otherwise) would strive for.

For example you need only 20% of your liver to live, 25% of nephrons (a functional unit of a kidney) to live, but the heart and lungs are the best example: measure your pulse and breath rate while you rest in bed, run as fast as you can for 1000 feet and check it one more time.

Good evidence for an intelligent designer.

They don't have to. If there is a "good gene" it multiplies. When there is a "bad gene" it either disappears or is decimated.

Theoretically (and simplistically) yes, practically, no. Otherwise there would not be genetic diseases throughout the population.

A tone of gold if you define your "kinds".

After you define that first hypothetical protocell. ;)

You demand us to prove what is already proven while you use terms like "kinds" and no one of you can define them precisely

You seem to be confused over what you have "proven". Are you now using the definition of evolution which equates to "change"? I don't doubt that populations might change over time (they would de-volve). Certainly the fossil record is the best evidence that slow, gradual descent over billions of years from a primitive protocell is sheer nonsense.

Morphy

Well, dear Bob,

Bob Enyart said:
Morphy: “Well, if a red blood cell is malaria resistant what is it if not improvement???”
To which, I reply: Broken. Also:
It may be broken but it is also an improvement.

Let me give you another example: your tires are probably not nail - resistant, right? And if you get a brand new tire what is totaly invulnerable to nails, what is it if not improvement?
Even if you have to pump it more often, it is an improvement of one feature.

This is what I tell you: if it wasn't an improvement the sickle cell anemia gene would be as rare in Africa as it is in Europe. If it is much more common it simply means: it is an improvement i.e. it is useful. The nature is the judge in this particular case.

Bob Enyart said:
A dead blood cell is malaria resistant. That’s not an improvement.
That is not an argument since sickle cell anemia gene doesn't kill all red blood cells.

Bob Enyart said:
A quadriplegic is resistant to tennis elbow. Ditto.
A quadriplegic cannot play tennis.

A person with sickle cell anemia gene (a carrier) can do almost everything other people can do (except for things like hiking, but this is not what 99.99% blacks in Africa like do to).

Bob Enyart said:
A disease that preempts a worse disease is still a disease.

Have I ever said the sickle cell anemia isn't a disease?

If we restrain to discuss theories we believe in it will save our time.

Bob Enyart said:
Morphy: “If you give me detailed genetic codes of all human ancestors from the first alive, primitive prehistoric cell to the human genome I won't resort to diseases. …positive mutations are extremely rare, like 1:1.000.000? Or maybe even rarer.”

Yes, I guess you could get one out of a million, considering that you morph a mutation-caused disease into something positive.

How about bacterial genes coding resistance to antibiotics? Do they cause any diseases for bacteria? No? Are they positive? Undoubtly since they can survive in such hostile enviroment like human body toxicated with antibiotics.

As you see one out of million is enough if it "morphs" into something positive.

Am I right? If no - prove where I am mistaken.

Bob Enyart said:
Morphy: “If you add that there is natural selection - then it is enough to prove there is evolution.”

Morf, you’re describing change, not Darwinian evolution. Darwinian evolution is not a synonym for the word change, it is a claim that a certain type of change has occurred, namely a change that adds genetic information to produce increasingly complex organisms. (It seems as though the evolutionists in this thread have gone senile, forgetting that Darwinism is supposedly PROVED by the evolutionary progression of SIMPLE to COMPLE organisms).

Darwinian theory is as similar to modern theory of evolution as Wright's airplane to contemporary space ships.

We have at least one obvious example of getting from a simple to comple organism: a bacteria which have become resistant to more and more new drugs.

Bob Enyart said:
If you had a lot of evidence for evolution, you could easily concede our point that disease is not excellent evidence for molecules-to-man evolution. But because of the absence of “excellent evidence” for evolution, you guys parade around evidence for de-evolution.
Is getting a new ability - antibiotic resistance - an example of de- evolution also?

Bob Enyart said:
News flash: Both sides believe in mutations, and that they often cause changes, including disease and death.

To provide evidence for molecules to man evolution, you’re going to have to show mutations that increase the information content of a genome, NOT evidence of disease, because that’s just too funny and easy for us creationists to explode.

We have a lot of examples. One of them, which has nothing to do with diseases (except causing them) is above.

Bob Enyart said:
And finally, you asked about drug resistance, which results from different known mechanisms including mutations, transfers, etc. I’ll describe a common mechanism, which is a mutation and a loss of information. The streptomycin antibiotic is a three-dimensional molecule that interlocks with a bacteria's ribosome (as in Mycobacterium tuberculosis), interfering with its protein synthesis and thus killing the bacteria that causes tuberculosis. If Mycobaterium has a ribosome mutation (breakage), and therefore its ribosomes are deformed and become less effective at assembling proteins (this actually happens), then the streptomycin molecule cannot attach as it did to the healthy ribosome because it's shape no longer fits into the deformed shape of the mutated ribosome. We call this a resistant strain, which it is, although at the cost of a broken ribosome which is fortuitous to the antibiotic, bad for its host, and making all a little bit worse off for the mutation. I realize you asked for more particulars, but I suggest you read Spetner’s book. If you’d like, I’ll mail you a copy. By the way, he was with the Applied Physics Laboratory at John Hopkins University and in the Hopkins biophysics department.
Dear Bob, there are much more ways bacteria gain resistance to antibiotics. The evolution works fine even when you don't believe it.

Let me just mention (not describe, we would need a book) some others:
- changing the target molecule: if the antibiotic attacks a certain enzyme in a bacterium, the bacterium can adapt by using a different enzyme to accomplish the same function.
- enzymatically inactivating or decomposing the antibiotic.
- storing the drug by creating alternative chains of reactions in bacterium
- preventing the drug from entering bacteria
- pumping out the antibiotic as quickly as it enters the bacterium.

If a bacterium, due to spontanic mutation, is able to 'digest' an antibiotic (it creates an enzyme destroying the antibiotic molecule), what is it if not:
- increase of information;
- gaining new ability;
- remaining healthy;

Bob Enyart said:
And Morphy, since you invited me, I’ll post a defense for my Evolve.exe evolution refutation program. Coming soon to a thread near you!

-Bob Enyart
I'd love to!

As you see, evolutionists love science: it backs us up!!!

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Not By Chance, by Dr. Lee Spetner

Not By Chance, by Dr. Lee Spetner

Morphy: There are [many] more ways bacteria gain resistance to antibiotics.

Yes, so far you agree with my post.

Morphy: Let me just mention... some others:
- changing the target molecule: if the antibiotic attacks a certain enzyme in a bacterium, the bacterium can adapt by using a different enzyme to accomplish the same function.
- enzymatically inactivating or decomposing the antibiotic.
- storing the drug by creating alternative chains of reactions in bacterium
- preventing the drug from entering bacteria
- pumping out the antibiotic as quickly as it enters the bacterium.

In this list, Morphy, I don't believe you have distinguished between existing resistance, and *gained* resistance.

Also, when bacteria rapidly gain resistance, that is an indication that they are implementing a pre-programmed defense mechanism. And when different populations of bacteria rapidly develop the same resistance technique, that adds to the evidence that they are implementing a pre-programmed (genetically coded) defense mechanism. A defense of evolution is that it works so slowly that we cannot see it. There's a million species in the world. So even if significant evolution took 100,000 years within a single species, since we're watching a million species worldwide, that should produce constant, dramatic, visible evolutionary changes in mammals, reptiles, birds, plants, etc., such that ten times every year, we should see new functioning organs, limbs, senses, etc., developing in species that had lacked such functionality. But back to bacteria, when they consistently gain rapid resistance (especially in similar ways in separate populations), that is evidence not of random chance over a thousand generations, but of preprogrammed response to a threat, similar to how our immune system is programmed to adapt to never-before-seen pathogens.

Morphy: If a bacterium, due to spontaneous mutation, is able to 'digest' an antibiotic (it creates an enzyme destroying the antibiotic molecule), what is it if not:
- increase of information;
- gaining new ability;
- remaining healthy;

Same answer as above. Also, Morphy, again, I suggest Spetner's book, which answers many of your questions with a biophysicist's expertise. (My copy of his book has disappeared, but if you'd like to read it, I'll buy two and send you one.) Remember, he was with the Applied Physics Laboratory at John Hopkins University and reading his book enable you to understand the details of the creationist argument as presented by an undisputed expert.

Thanks, -Bob Enyart

Last edited:

fool

Hall of Fame
Lotsa monkeys with broken keyboards

Lotsa monkeys with broken keyboards

On this gene thingy with the monkeys question.
Isn't the code written with four letters?
If the monkeys only had four keys to work with it seems like they would come up with the recipe for something.
Not the Encyclopedia Britanicca, but then again, the Encyclopedia Britannica prolly dosen't spell anything in gene code (on account of the fact that it uses more than four letters and has puncuation and spaces and pictures and stuff)

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
A thousand keys

A thousand keys

Fool, the monkeys (nature) wouldn't know that only four amino acids are acceptable in the syntax of the language. You might as well give then typewriters with a thousand keys, but only the strikes from four will count toward a valid output.

STOP AND CONSIDER (translation: Now, put that in your evolutionary peace pipe and draw on it for a while!)

-Bob Enyart

fool

Hall of Fame
Bob Enyart said:
Fool, the monkeys (nature) wouldn't know that only four amino acids are acceptable in the syntax of the language. You might as well give then typewriters with a thousand keys, but only the strikes from four will count toward a valid output.

STOP AND CONSIDER (translation: Now, put that in your evolutionary peace pipe and draw on it for a while!)

-Bob Enyart
A thousand keys would make a big key board.
As long as you put "count toward a valid output" out there let's say the monkey types the first letter correctly, then gets ten wrong (discard) then he gets the second letter, then screws up three times and hits the next letter so on and so forth. I bet it wouldn.t take the monkeys long to type up the code for a fungus then.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
It wouldn't take long?

Nah. Just a few septillion years with a trillion monkeys typing a 100 words a second.

That's really not long compared to eternity apart from God.

-Bob Enyart

fool

Hall of Fame
Bob Enyart said:

-Bob Enyart
Also, it looks like 30 keys would be more accurate if I'm readin that right.
Also maybe some of em like each other and some don't.

fool

Hall of Fame
Bob Enyart said:
It wouldn't take long?

Nah. Just a few septillion years with a trillion monkeys typing a 100 words a second.
From here.

organism genes base pairs
Plant <50,000 <1011
Human, mouse or rat 25,000 3×109
Fruit Fly 13,767 1.3×108
Honey bee 15,000 3×108
Worm 19,000 9.7×107
Fungus 6,000 1.3×107
Bacterium 500–6,000 5×105–107
Mycoplasma genitalium 500 580,000
DNA virus 10–900 5,000–800,000
RNA virus 1–25 1,000–23,000
Viroid 0–1 ~500
Don't seem like it should take a septillion yrs. to type in 5,000 letters on a 30 key keyboard when it only accepts allowable characters and you only have to write one side of the string.

That's really not long compared to eternity apart from God.

-Bob Enyart
What's this got to do with Him?

Stratnerd

Bob E,

Here's the first mention of information in the relevent context:

We argue evolution requires billions of instances of genetic information INCREASE

So you brought it up and it would probably clarify the discussion and well as make it more efficient if you defined it for us (what it is, how it's measured, and what would be an example). Maybe Johnny has a different definition but then he didn't bring it up.

Much appreciated!

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
A Statement of the Joint Chiefs of Staph (ylococcus)

A Statement of the Joint Chiefs of Staph (ylococcus)

Stratnerd, first off, you, Jukia, and Morphy should try to talk some sense and humility into Johnny, and get him to retract his absurd claim that:

Johnny: "Evolution is not about 'an increase in information.'"

Then things could proceed.

On the other hand, if the three of you jointly wrote and signed a post disavowing and repudiating the claim that "Evolution is not about 'an increase in information,'" then I think that could suffice to show good faith. Then things could proceed.

Thanks,

-Bob Enyart

p.s. It was nice to hear from Johnny when he called the show today, and was interested in getting on the program, but our Denver affiliate, KLTT is refurbishing their studio and so our programs for the rest of this week are already pre-produced, and I will have guest hosts for the next two weeks, so I told Johnny that we'd be happy to call him, or he can call back in, when we get back to live shows.

fool

Hall of Fame
fool said:
From here.

organism genes base pairs
Plant <50,000 <1011
Human, mouse or rat 25,000 3×109
Fruit Fly 13,767 1.3×108
Honey bee 15,000 3×108
Worm 19,000 9.7×107
Fungus 6,000 1.3×107
Bacterium 500–6,000 5×105–107
Mycoplasma genitalium 500 580,000
DNA virus 10–900 5,000–800,000
RNA virus 1–25 1,000–23,000
Viroid 0–1 ~500
Don't seem like it should take a septillion yrs. to type in 5,000 letters on a 30 key keyboard when it only accepts allowable characters and you only have to write one side of the string.
Public notice;
The link should be clicked upon for an accurate understanding about the numbers represented above.
The last numbers in the base pairs is an order of magnitude once ya get up to the part that has the x in it.
The example I sited about the 5,000 pairs was accurate though, in that it is the size of the recipe for a DNA virus.

Stratnerd

I think we should all be responsible for our own posts, don't you? I have nothing to do with what Johnny posts and his opinions and I fail to see what that has to do with backing up something you posted (i.e. you brought it up - you should clarify).

I guess I don't understand your hesitation. I'm asking a simple question.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator

Stratnerd: "I fail to see what [Johnny's claim] has to do with backing up something you posted (i.e. you brought it up - you should clarify). I guess I don't understand your hesitation. I'm asking a simple question.

I'm not going to let Johnny off the hook by allowing a more detailed discussion of the matter in this context unless he retracts his claim that:

And if you evolutionists don't utterly disavow his statement, then there's really no sense going further with you.

Stratnerd, Jukia, and Morphy should all admit, Evolution IS primarily about an increase in genetic information.

It's not worth my time to debate the finer points of the first moon walk with someone who doesn't beleive we ever went to the moon. Neither is it worth refining the obvious with evolutionists who will not publicly disavow Johnny's statement:

-Bob Enyart

Stratnerd

Ugh! Lame.

'm not going to let Johnny off the hook by allowing a more detailed discussion of the matter in this context unless he retracts his claim that:
How would you giving a definition of information let Johnny of the hook? Your statement doesn't make any sense. Not letting him off the hook should mean you keep asking him the same question.

I don't know what you or Johnny means by information or evolution. This is why I'm asking for clarification. I can't disavow what anyone says without knowing what they mean. I don't have a problem disagreeing with a fellow evolutionist. I probably disagree on many things. Big whoop.

I think evolution in the large sense (from the beginning 'til now) has much (not everything) to do with increasing information (how the phenotype is encoded within the genotype).

There, simple, I defined evolution and information. Please be considerate and do the same.

Define information, how we measure it, what you mean by "increase" and what would be an acceptable example of information increase.

Johnny

Bob Enyart said:
Stratnerd, first off, you, Jukia, and Morphy should try to talk some sense and humility into Johnny, and get him to retract his absurd claim that:

To be fair, I don't think that's their responsibility.

I was going to talk to you about this today on the radio, but I'll explain here. What I said is not ground-breaking. It's not "unscientific" or "absurd" or any other label you put on it. It is fact, and this model of evolution has been in place since the theories inception. Let me explain.

What is the driving force of evolution? Natural selection. What is natural selection? In a nutshell, traits which confer a reproductive advatange are more likely to reproduce and thus over time will become more prevalent in a population. Now tell me, which part of natural selection selects for complexity or the addition of information? None.

In fact, there is no aspect of natural selection which selects for genomic information or genomic complexity unless--and this is the key--they confer an reproductive advantage. An evolving population does not mean that the population is adding information to its gene pool. It just means that it is adapting to the selectional pressures on it. That’s all it means.

Adapting to an environment may involve the incorporation of novel body plans, novel metabolic pathways, or novel genetic sequences--but not always. Sometimes it may mean losing a limb, losing a metabolic pathway, or losing a genetic sequence--all of which you would define as "losing information" or "deteriorating". But the population is still evolving.

Once again, evolution is not about adding new information. It's only about reproductive success--which may mean the addition or loss of "information". This really isn't a big bold statement at all. It's taught in general biology.

Status
Not open for further replies.