Racism in Jury Selection - Supreme Court Case

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Or...we could do away with per emptory challenges to jurors. You want to dismiss a juror? You should have to show cause.

why wouldn't race be an acceptable cause, given the statistics that show it as a factor in achieving convictions?

Alate_One

Do you seriously not see the problems that could engender? Do we have to get the quota exactly matching the make-up of the location of the crime? What if it is a city that has few blacks and a black is on trial? Does that change it? What if the black prospective juror openly admits that he will never find another black guilty. He still can't be struck?
That's for cause and I think pretty obvious a person like that should be struck, you'd have a cause for sure.

However the case in the OP, there is no such evidence. It's pretty clear people were being struck purely because they're black.

So you think we should get an overall quota in jury selection across the board based on 1 or 2 prosecutors' decisions? That seems way extreme to me, not to mention racist in that jurors everywhere would have to be picked according to their skin color.
I'm not saying a jury quota is necessarily the best idea, I said it was better than an all-white jury or an all black jury. In interpreting the constitution the courts have said juries should reflect the community. If you have a majority black community and you have a lot of all white juries, clearly something is wrong.

Accomplishing that could be simple as what as rex said, removing the pre-emtory challenges. But a quota or at least clearer guidelines - I think would help. Since apparently there's now a playbook used to remove minority jurors intentionally because of race, but to pretend it isn't due to race.

And how did they get the statistics on all-white juries vs mixed juries if blacks aren't allowed on juries?
Nobody said they weren't. Are you really this dense to take a tendency to exclude and make it an absolute?

And you never explained how the blacks on the mixed juries managed to force more convictions on whites.
How are more convictions forced? I'm not sure since that wasn't part of the study. However in other areas it's been shown that diverse groups of people are able to solve problems more effectively than groups that are composed of all one ethnicity or gender.

Alate_One

why wouldn't race be an acceptable cause, given the statistics that show it as a factor in achieving convictions?

Because that, by definition, would be racist.

How would you feel if you were accused of a crime and the prosecution insisted on seating an all black jury at your trial because they knew black people were more likely to convict a white person than white people?

We could just make that policy, if black people are to be judged by all white juries then white people are to be judged by all black juries. Sound fair?

ok doser

Because that, by definition, would be racist.

so what?

How would you feel...

why should my feelings bear on the matter?

...the prosecution insisted on seating an all black jury at your trial because they knew black people were more likely to convict a white person than white people?

why would the prosecution's insistence have any more weight than my lawyer's?

i would expect my attorney to do his best to pick the jury pool that he thought he could best work with to get me off

and i wouldn't care if they were black white red or yellow

Alate_One

in terms of jury selection?

do tell

oney can buy you a great defense team, but what if you can’t afford one? More than 80% of those charged with felonies are indigent. As a result, they are unable to hire an attorney and instead rely on representation by a public defender.

Public defenders are, as a general matter, the hardest working sect of the legal bar. But our nation’s public defender systems have long been plagued by underfunding and excessive caseloads. In Florida in 2009, the annual felony caseload per attorney was over 500 felonies and 2,225 misdemeanors. According to the US Department of Justice, in 2007, about 73% of county public defender offices exceeded the maximum recommended limit of cases (150 felonies or 400 misdemeanors). Too often, those who are poor receive lower quality defense than those who have the means to pay.

The lawyers with hundreds and thousands of cases sure have lots of time to even take a case to trial and then do a good job of selecting a jury, I'm sure . . .

ok doser

oney can buy you a great defense team, but what if you can’t afford one? More than 80% of those charged with felonies are indigent. As a result, they are unable to hire an attorney and instead rely on representation by a public defender.

Public defenders are, as a general matter, the hardest working sect of the legal bar. But our nation’s public defender systems have long been plagued by underfunding and excessive caseloads. In Florida in 2009, the annual felony caseload per attorney was over 500 felonies and 2,225 misdemeanors. According to the US Department of Justice, in 2007, about 73% of county public defender offices exceeded the maximum recommended limit of cases (150 felonies or 400 misdemeanors). Too often, those who are poor receive lower quality defense than those who have the means to pay.

The lawyers with hundreds and thousands of cases sure have lots of time to even take a case to trial and then do a good job of selecting a jury, I'm sure . . .

lots more poor white people than poor black people in the US ala

povertynumbyrace.png

if what you say is a factor, it impacts whites harder than blacks

genuineoriginal

Cases showing that prosecutors intentionally strike potential black jurors, because they are black. So you end up with Black defendants in majority black cities with juries that are either all white or nearly so.
Isn't it good that the prosecutors try to find an impartial jury?

We have seen by the actions of the Black Lives Matter movement that there is a group of people who refuse to be impartial and would not be suitable to be jurors.

_____
A Look at the Destruction After Ferguson Riots

As the sun came up this morning in Ferguson, Missouri, it revealed destroyed businesses, burnt cars and wreckage from the riots that erupted after a grand jury cleared Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of teenager Michael Brown.

A row of scorched cars covered in soot sat in a parking lot in nearby Dellwood, a manager surveyed the burned down building of the gas station where she works, and business owners assessed smashed windows and rubble from the fires.
_____​

Alate_One

Isn't it good that the prosecutors try to find an impartial jury?

We have seen by the actions of the Black Lives Matter movement that there is a group of people who refuse to be impartial and would not be suitable to be jurors.
And I'm quite sure there are white people that would refuse to be impartial and not be suitable as jurors. Forget about Dylan Roof and supporters?

Because when black people do it, it's bad and they're thugs but when white people do it, they just got a little rowdy.

Media Potrayal

Alate_One

lots more poor white people than poor black people in the US ala

povertynumbyrace.png

if what you say is a factor, it impacts whites harder than blacks
That's number. And there are a lot more white people than black people. But if you look at percentage . . . it's much higher in communities of color than among whites.
Spoiler

Poverty-Rates-by-Race-Ethnicity.png

So the impact is disproportionate in the community. But we covered this in the OP . . .

bybee

And I'm quite sure there are white people that would refuse to be impartial and not be suitable as jurors. Forget about Dylan Roof and supporters?

Because when black people do it, it's bad and they're thugs but when white people do it, they just got a little rowdy.

Media Potrayal

...of course, there is the O. J. Simpson jury... for example?

genuineoriginal

Are you talking about the government agents that used mind control techniques on him to turn him into a sleeper assassin to fuel the race war, or do you assume he did it on his own?

I see you are trying to claim that the race riots are merely blacks being rowdy after losing a game.
So, what is the name of this game that the blacks lost?