Quitting Smoking

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I have been killing myself for decades. I just want to be free from cigarettes and breath fresh air again, but I keep waiting. I'm up to more than 2 packs a day everyday. I am so addicted and I think it's mostly mental, I think of a cigarette at all times, in fact I'm smoking one right now. I AM quitting soon, I've had enough. Anybody else hooked and wanting to quit and be free again? We can talk about it here !!!

john w

Hall of Fame
I have quit for almost 4 1/2 years(next month), after smoking for approximately 42 years. I am still surprised that I, via the LORD God, have done it. The brutal "physical part" i.e., physical withdrawal symptoms, wanes/subsides within a relatively short period of time, depending on the individual(in my case, about 2/3 months), but the "psychological part," at least for me, still lingers, to some degree. However, it is minor, and I am surprised how little I miss it, knowing my own "addictive personality."

You can do it; It is just the initial 2-3 months, perhaps, that are rough. But the physical benefits of quitting, that you will experience, after a few months, will make the pain of quitting worth it.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I have quit for almost 4 1/2 years(next month), after smoking for approximately 42 years. I am still surprised that I, via the LORD God, have done it. The brutal "physical part" i.e., physical withdrawal symptoms, wanes/subsides within a relatively short period of time, depending on the individual(in my case, about 2/3 months), but the "psychological part," at least for me, still lingers, to some degree. However, it is minor, and I am surprised how little I miss it, knowing my own "addictive personality."

You can do it; It is just the initial 2-3 months, perhaps, that are rough. But the physical benefits of quitting, that you will experience, after a few months, will make the pain of quitting worth it.
I picture myself quitting and how I will think, I will try to think of the positive things like saving money and being healthier

marhig

I have been killing myself for decades. I just want to be free from cigarettes and breath fresh air again, but I keep waiting. I'm up to more than 2 packs a day everyday. I am so addicted and I think it's mostly mental, I think of a cigarette at all times, in fact I'm smoking one right now. I AM quitting soon, I've had enough. Anybody else hooked and wanting to quit and be free again? We can talk about it here !!!
Hi Patrick :)

My husband was on 40 a day when I met him. He found it hard to give up too, he tried everything, he did it by cutting down first, and in the end he was only on a few a day. But he was able to give up by the grace of God. He suffered as John said for about 2 to 3 months, but he never thinks of them now and he even dislikes the smell. He's been off them for about 7 years.

We all have something that we find hard to give up, mine is sweets and chocolates, but I'm going try again and pray that God helps me.

I hope you get the strength to overcome them, I know that it is hard to do, many in my family can't give them up either, but have faith, you can do it!

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Hi Patrick :)

My husband was on 40 a day when I met him. He found it hard to give up too, he tried everything, he did it by cutting down first, and in the end he was only on a few a day. But he was able to give up by the grace of God. He suffered as John said for about 2 to 3 months, but he never thinks of them now and he even dislikes the smell. He's been off them for about 7 years.

We all have something that we find hard to give up, mine is sweets and chocolates, but I'm going try again and pray that God helps me.

I hope you get the strength to overcome them, I know that it is hard to do, many in my family can't give them up either, but have faith, you can do it!
Thanks marhig, God Bless You !!!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

You can do this, patrick.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Kudos to you, Patrick, for taking the steps to give up such a deadly habit. It will be difficult, but you can do it. :thumb:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Thanks anna, I know I want to, I know I can do it.

You're in a good place for making the change. Speaking of which, I had this taped to my mirror for a long time:

0.1D8

It's the Stages of Change model, and you're at the Contemplation/Preparation stage, which is known as the Open Door.

The Open Door is where you're most likely to take the direct actions needed to make the change you desire. If it helps at all, keep this image in your mind:

Doors-Shut-and-Open.png

You have the Open Door in front of you. Keep walking towards it, and you'll find the strength to walk right through it.

If you relapse, get up and start walking again, the open door is waiting for you - but you have to do the hard work of walking to it and through it.

And I know you can do this. :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You're in a good place for making the change. Speaking of which, I had this taped to my mirror for a long time:

0.1D8

It's the Stages of Change model, and you're at the Contemplation/Preparation stage, which is known as the Open Door.

The Open Door is where you're most likely to take the direct actions needed to make the change you desire. If it helps at all, keep this image in your mind:

Doors-Shut-and-Open.png

You have the Open Door in front of you. Keep walking towards it, and you'll find the strength to walk right through it.

If you relapse, get up and start walking again, the open door is waiting for you - but you have to do the hard work of walking to it and through it.

And I know you can do this. :)
Thanks again anna, this will help me, plus I wanted to quote this post because I'm blogging it too.

john w

Hall of Fame
I picture myself quitting and how I will think, I will try to think of the positive things like saving money and being healthier

Even though, objectively, I do not look 61(mainly genes, working out, running.....for years, even during my smoking days), others have commented that my skin, complexion....look remarkably better. As you (should)know,one of the physical effects of years of smoking, is loss of elasticity in the skin. I think you will be quite surprised, and encouraged, by the "physical looks" improvement, from quitting.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Even though, objectively, I do not look 61(mainly genes, working out, running.....for years, even during my smoking days), others have commented that my skin, complexion....look remarkably better. As you (should)know,one of the physical effects of years of smoking, is loss of elasticity in the skin. I think you will be quite surprised, and encouraged, by the "physical looks" improvement, from quitting.
I might finally be a hit with the ladies, like I was in Junior High. I should prepare for the onslaught. You were blessed with the skin of rich people

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I thought you were around 48, my age. No wonder tet has a man crush on you

Foxfire

Quitting smoking is an easy enough thing to do.

I should know, I 'quit smoking' hundreds of times over 50+ yrs. as a smoker. :eek:

The trick, at least for me, was in becoming an ex-smoker or non-smoker. It was a simple change in how I mentally processed my self identity. But it gave me something to BE beyond just quitting. :think:

Aug. 22, 2017 will be my 9th anniversary as a non-smoker.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Get a Vape pen Patrick, it seems like smoking although it isn't, it gives you the nicotine which you can slowly wean from. John W is correct the physical part is difficult but, the mental part is what keeps you coming back, that is where the reprogramming needs to begin, the vape pen is great replacement for that. It was the cigarette in the morning with coffee, after meals, with a beer, fill in the blank, we get programmed, and the absence of it at these times causes almost more of a mental craving than the physical. After a while you just find you forget about it, I would say try the vape pen it works, and it is 99% less harmful than smoking cigarettes, you won't stink, you will feel better, costs less money, check it out.