ECT Questions for Roman Catholics

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
With claims like this it is no wonder the Hand of God is against Europe and the US.

Interestingly, the same type of method of arguing by referencing multitudes of supposed evidence is exactly what the atheists do. It's as if by sheer number and repetition that hearsay is converted into[ struth. The reality is everyone of these arguments can be easily dismantled with the Bible, no less.

do it. dismantle everyone - of the arguments and show the STRUTH for us - :argue:

Cruciform

My ex-Father in law, a Catholic said that, as long as the Pope is on his throne he is infallible.
And exactly what---in your understanding---does the Church's teaching of Papal Infallibility actually mean? What does it mean to say that the pope is "infallible"?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

everready

So, then, still no actual proof for your earlier unsubstantiated anti-Catholic assertions. That's what I thought.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Some of us have proof but what are you going to do with it once you get it, become a believer? You don't believe the Inquisitions happened, you just laugh them off as if they didn't happen.

Here's your proof.

John 16:1 These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.

2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.

everready

Last edited:

Cruciform

Some of us have proof...

Not so far...

...but what are you going to do with it once you get it, become a believer?
I am a believer---in Christ. I simply don't believe the particular doctrinal errors that you have derived from your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect. Big difference there.

You don't believe the Inquisitions happened...
That's nonsense. I have never made any such statement. Try again.

Here's your proof.
John 16:1 These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. 2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. 3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.
Of course, this text can hardly be applied to Christ's one historic Catholic Church, since it was spoken specifically about 1st-century Jewish leaders. So much for your "proof." Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

everready

Not so far...

I am a believer---in Christ. I simply don't believe the particular doctrinal errors that you have derived from your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect. Big difference there.

That's nonsense. I have never made any such statement. Try again.

Of course, this text can hardly be applied to Christ's one historic Catholic Church, since it was spoken specifically about 1st-century Jewish leaders. So much for your "proof." Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

If that was for one generation what was your historic church doing here?

A History of the lives, sufferings and triumphant deaths of the early Christian and the Protestant martyrs

Chapter I -- History of Christian Martyrs to the First General Persecutions Under Nero
Chapter II -- The Ten Primitive Persecutions
Chapter III -- Persecutions of the Christians in Persia
Chapter IV -- Papal Persecutions
Chapter V -- An Account of the Inquisition
Chapter VI -- An Account of the Persecutions in Italy, Under the Papacy
Chapter VII -- An Account of the Life and Persecutions of John Wickliffe
Chapter VIII -- An Account of the Persecutions in Bohemia Under the Papacy
Chapter IX -- An Account of the Life and Persecutions of Martin Luther
Chapter X -- General Persecutions in Germany
Chapter XI -- An Account of the Persecutions in the Netherlands
Chapter XII -- The Life and Story of the True Servant and Martyr of God, William Tyndale
Chapter XIII -- An Account of the Life of John Calvin
Chapter XIV -- Prior to the Reign of Queen Mary I
Chapter XV -- An Account of the Persecutions in Scotland During the Reign of King Henry VIII
Chapter XVI -- Persecutions in England During the Reign of Queen Mary
Chapter XVII -- Rise and Progress of the Protestant Religion in Ireland; with an Account of the Barbarous Massacre of 1641
Chapter XVIII -- The Rise, Progress, Persecutions, and Sufferings of the Quakers
Chapter XIX -- An Account of the Life and Persecutions of John Bunyan
Chapter XX -- An Account of the Life of John Wesley
Chapter XXI -- Persecutions of the French Protestants in the South of France, During the Years 1814 and 1820
Chapter XXII -- The Beginnings of American Foreign Missions

http://biblebelievers.com/foxes/findex.htm

everready

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
No need to wonder. The qualification is made necessary by the apparently irresistible tendency of anti-Catholics like yourself to completely misunderstand, misapply, and misrepresent what the Catholic Church actually believes and teaches.
Consider: A Catholic is allowed to venerate Mary by kneeling before a statue of Mary, clasping their hands and a prayerful manor, bowing their head and praying a rosary. Properly understood within Catholic teaching, this is simple veneration of Mary by focusing on Mary so that she might be a mediator between you and her Son that He might be a mediator between you and God.

So how is the outside world supposed to interpret this pose?
catholic_faithful.jpg

Especially in light of this admonition from Paul:
1 Corinthians 8:9-13New International Version (NIV) 9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol’s temple, won’t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? 11 So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.

The week walk into a Catholic church, see people bowed in a prayerful manor and stumble because of it. You have sinned against Christ.

Seems to me that your proper understanding does more harm than good.

Cruciform

If that was for one generation what was your historic church doing here? A History of the lives, sufferings and triumphant deaths of the early Christian and the Protestant martyrs

See? I can post precisely the same types of actions on the part of Protestants during the Middle Ages. It was simply the mindset of the time. Thus, your post in no way negates of disqualifies the Catholic Church as that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself. Try again.

And regarding Foxe's Acts & Monuments, see this and this. Nice try, though.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

So how is the outside world supposed to interpret this pose?
How is the outside world supposed to interpret this pose?

man+kneeling+in+front+of+Bible.jpg

Looks to me like this Protestant is worshiping the Bible. Quite a scandal you're causing, isn't it.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
How is the outside world supposed to interpret this pose?
man+kneeling+in+front+of+Bible.jpg
Looks to me like this Protestant is worshiping the Bible. Quite a scandal you're causing, isn't it.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
This is a valid point. One should be careful of how they pary while reading from scripture. It is one thing to close your bible and have it in your lap. It is something else if you adopt the posture in your picture. That could cause one to stumble and we should be mindful of that.

None the less, you didn't didn't address the issue of how the practice of bowing before Mary does not cause the week to stumble.

Cruciform

This is a valid point. One should be careful of how they pary while reading from scripture. It is one thing to close your bible and have it in your lap. It is something else if you adopt the posture in your picture. That could cause one to stumble and we should be mindful of that. None the less, you didn't didn't address the issue of how the practice of bowing before Mary does not cause the week to stumble.
Good grief. Really, how stupid do you think people are? (Perhaps you're projecting here.) All one needs to do is log onto a Catholic apologetics website---there are multiplied thousands online---to find an easy-to-understand explanation of what Catholics mean by praying before a sacred image or object. To "stumble" at such a thing would require a high level of willful ignorance and a refusal to do the very lowest level of elementary research. The answer to "Why do Catholics pray before statues?" could hardly be easier to obtain. There is simply no excuse in our day for being scandalized by such an act. Nice try, though.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

Who is stumbling because of this?
Good question, especially given that one can easily discover why Catholics do what they do in literally less than one minute of computer access. If a non-Catholic has a confused understanding of a particular Catholic behavior, it's very likely because it has been fed to him by other non-Catholics (pastor, anti-Catholic author, etc.). No great mystery here.

glassjester

If a non-Catholic has a confused understanding of a particular Catholic behavior, it's very likely because it has been fed to him by other non-Catholics (pastor, anti-Catholic author, etc.).

In which case, who is causing the weak to stumble? Who is Paul really warning against?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Good grief. Really, how stupid do you think people are? (Perhaps you're projecting here.) All one needs to do is log onto a Catholic apologetics website---there are multiplied thousands online---to find an easy-to-understand explanation of what Catholics mean by praying before a sacred image or object. To "stumble" at such a thing would require a high level of willful ignorance and a refusal to do the very lowest level of elementary research. The answer to "Why do Catholics pray before statues?" could hardly be easier to obtain. There is simply no excuse in our day for being scandalized by such an act. Nice try, though.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Given large populations do not have access to the Internet, your plan falls woefully short of helping people to understand.

People range from brilliant to retarded (for lack of a better term). Please tell us how to determine what people are to stupid for you to be concerned about causing them to stumble.