saint christopher was a great story
and
he is still a saint
but
he got bumped off the calendar to make room for local saints
apparently the calendar is not the same in different parts of the world

see here for details

What Happened To Saint Christopher?

How about the advice given by a member of your church; "I think everyone should just go with a default patron Saint, my personal favorite: St. Jude, the patron Saint of 'Desperate Cases and Lost Causes'

Does the church allow that, just pick and choose to your own liking, do you have "Default Saints"?

You sure do have plenty if allowed to do so.

www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/saints.htm

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
How about the advice given by a member of your church; "I think everyone should just go with a default patron Saint, my personal favorite: St. Jude, the patron Saint of 'Desperate Cases and Lost Causes'

Does the church allow that, just pick and choose to your own liking, do you have "Default Saints"?

when we are confirmed
we get to pick a saint
and
it becomes part of your name
I picked francis and never regretted it
I have never prayed to him
but
I am still inspired by his life

Arsenios

The Holy Family fled to Egypt to escape the destruction of children by Herod where Christ was born... And that was a long and arduous and dangerous journey... Joseph was an old man, and his betrothed was carrying her newborn Son... And they came to a raging river, and a man came to them and helped them across. He ferried the Christ Child to the other side in his arms held above the waters... And having ferried Christ, he acquired the name Christopher...

This Faith is personal...

And most of us have a Saint we develop a relationship with in prayer, who prays for us and works with us in our walk in Christ. For myself, I find it a lot easier to speak with someone like me - I mean, what am I going to tell God? Yet God hears us and answers our prayers, and the Baints are our brethren, whether on this or the other side of the grave...

They are by no means dead...

They are in union with Christ...

That is how Christ glorifies His Saints, and it is how He is as well glorified in them, both in this life and after it...

Arsenios

Old man

The Holy Family fled to Egypt to escape the destruction of children by Herod where Christ was born... And that was a long and arduous and dangerous journey... Joseph was an old man, and his betrothed was carrying her newborn Son... And they came to a raging river, and a man came to them and helped them across. He ferried the Christ Child to the other side in his arms held above the waters... And having ferried Christ, he acquired the name Christopher...

This Faith is personal...

And most of us have a Saint we develop a relationship with in prayer, who prays for us and works with us in our walk in Christ. For myself, I find it a lot easier to speak with someone like me - I mean, what am I going to tell God? Yet God hears us and answers our prayers, and the Baints are our brethren, whether on this or the other side of the grave...

They are by no means dead...

They are in union with Christ...

That is how Christ glorifies His Saints, and it is how He is as well glorified in them, both in this life and after it...

Arsenios

I would ask, just were in the Scriptures can I read of the Christ child being ferried across a raging river?

Or is that just another one of the multitudes of Catholic fables unfounded in the scriptures of the Holy Bible?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I would ask, just were in the Scriptures can I read of the Christ child being ferried across a raging river?

Where in scripture is the doctrine of the Trinity? Or do you deny the Trinity, because it's not in scripture?

Arsenios

Or is that just another one of the multitudes of Catholic fables unfounded in the scriptures of the Holy Bible?

We did not include story of the flight of the Holy Family to Egypt
in the Kanon of Holy Writ...
The Bible is not a history book, after all,
but a sacred one...

Revelation barely was included in that Kanon,
and is NEVER read in the Services of the Orthodox Church -
I cannot speak for the Latins...

Arsenios

Old man

We did not include story of the journey of the flight of the Holy Family to Egypt in the Kanon of Holy Writ... The Bible is not a history book, but a sacred one...

Revelation barely was included, and is NEVER read in the Services of the Orthodox Church - I cannot speak for the Latins...

Arsenios

So it is an unfounded story (fable) made up and from it a so-called saint and his purpose is created?

I'll just stick with the Scriptures, God has given us all we need for salvation within the Holy Bible without adding all such things as does the Catholic religion.

Why isn't the Book of Revelation read when you read "Blessed is he that reads and they that hear the words....of those things which are written there in..."?

Last edited:

Cruciform

The CC is a conglomeration of Babylonian, Mithraism and Egyptian religions all rolled into one with a tiny sprinkle of truth here and there.
This claim has already been decisively refuted on this forum (HERE). Why, then, do you glibly repeat it here as though you haven't already been answered on this point? Are you just hoping that your readers haven't yet encountered the already-established Catholic counter-argument to this utterly erroneous assertion?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Old man

This claim has already been decisively refuted on this forum (HERE). Why, then, do you glibly repeat it here as though you haven't already been answered on this point? Are you just hoping that your readers haven't yet encountered the already-established Catholic counter-argument to this utterly erroneous assertion?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

So YOU say, there is plenty of history that shows other wise.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see." Jer.5:21

Arsenios

So it is an unfounded story (fable) made up and from it a so-called saint and his purpose is created?

It is a part of the lore of Christianity,
a pious story of something not recorded in the Bible,
but passed on by word of mouth in the living memory of those retaining it...
It did eventually get written down,
and perhaps some details were lost or added or altered in the telling and re-telling...

I do not have a problem with that...
You seem to still need to bash the Latins...
I do not have your need...

I'll just stick with the Scriptures,

The New Testament was not written for the first several decades of the Christian Faith,
and was not made canonical until the 4th century by the Church
which was finally released from persecutions which kept Her head down for the first 300-some years of Christianity.
Now it would appear that you have siezed from the Guttenburg Printing Presses
copies of the Bible that the Church had preserved for the previous thousand years
and handed to the printers,
and you now declared that this Holy Book
is GREATER that the Body of Christ from which it came...

That is not my call...

But you would not, by your own statement,
have been a Christian prior to the writing of the Christian New Testament...

God has given us all we need for salvation within the Holy Bible
without adding all such things as does the Catholic religion.

There you go again still trying to pick old scabs of the Latins...

Much of the OT is historical, which you revere...
Do you somehow think that the history of the world AFTER Christ is less to be revered?

Why isn't the Book of Revelation read when you read "Blessed is he that reads and they that hear the words....of those things which are written there in..."?

It IS read in the Church, just not in the services...
The very physical structure of the building of the Church,
and the structure of Her Holy Services,
reflect the passages of revelation...

Are you aware that Revelation is, among other things,
a descriptive of the future history of the Church,
of the Body of Christ,
and of Her persecutions and triumphs?

Arsenios

Arsenios

A marvelous confession...

"As ye are judging...
So shall ye BE judged..."

Pharisees are judgmental hypocrites...

Fer instance...

Arsenios

Old man

It is a part of the lore of Christianity,
a pious story of something not recorded in the Bible,
but passed on by word of mouth in the living memory of those retaining it...
It did eventually get written down,
and perhaps some details were lost or added or altered in the telling and re-telling...

I do not have a problem with that...
You seem to still need to bash the Latins...
I do not have your need...

The New Testament was not written for the first several decades of the Christian Faith,
and was not made canonical until the 4th century by the Church
which was finally released from persecutions which kept Her head down for the first 300-some years of Christianity.
Now it would appear that you have siezed from the Guttenburg Printing Presses
copies of the Bible that the Church had preserved for the previous thousand years
and handed to the printers,
and you now declared that this Holy Book
is GREATER that the Body of Christ from which it came...

That is not my call...

But you would not, by your own statement,
have been a Christian prior to the writing of the Christian New Testament...

There you go again still trying to pick old scabs of the Latins...

Much of the OT is historical, which you revere...
Do you somehow think that the history of the world AFTER Christ is less to be revered?

It IS read in the Church, just not in the services...
The very physical structure of the building of the Church,
and the structure of Her Holy Services,
reflect the passages of revelation...

Are you aware that Revelation is, among other things,
a descriptive of the future history of the Church,
of the Body of Christ,
and of Her persecutions and triumphs?

Arsenios

"It is a part of the lore of Christianity"

There is no need for me to reply any father than to your above statement.

"lore" - synonyms - myths, folklores, fables....." 1 Tim.4:7, 2nd Tim.4:4, 2nd Pet.1:16

Which is the way of almost all of the RCC's non-Scriptural additions, man made traditions and practices.

As I said, the inspired Word of God found in the Bible is sufficient unto salvation and non-Scriptural traditions of men is nothing but just that, non-Scriptural traditions of men of which Christ warns against. Mk.7:8 and Mt.15:3

Cruciform

Not researched and written by any qualified and credentialed academic scholar of ecclesiastical history. If you know of one, feel free to cite it's title and author here. Otherwise, you have already been categorically refuted in Post #288 above.

You can go ahead and apply that to yourself.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Old man

Not researched and written by any qualified and credentialed academic scholar of ecclesiastical history. If you know of one, feel free to cite it's title and author here. Otherwise, you have already been categorically refuted in Post #288 above.

You can go ahead and apply that to yourself.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
For you that would mean written only by a qualified "Catholic" credentialed academic scholar of ecclesiastical history, right?

In case you are unaware of it, there are many credentialed academic scholars of ecclesiastical history outside of the Catholic Religion.:jawdrop:

Cruciform

For you that would mean written only by a qualified "Catholic" credentialed academic scholar of ecclesiastical history, right?
Not at all. Any word that's researched and written by a qualified and credentialed academic scholar of ecclesiastical history would do. As I said, if you know of one, feel free to cite it's title and author here. Otherwise, you have already been categorically refuted in Post #288 above. I'll wait for your answer.

In case you are unaware of it, there are many credentialed academic scholars of ecclesiastical history outside of the Catholic Religion.
No kidding? I've been studying such works for decades, including during the forty years I spent as an Evangelical Protestant, and during my education at an Evangelical Protestant university and then seminary. Thanks for the tip, though.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Old man

Not at all. Any word that's researched and written by a qualified and credentialed academic scholar of ecclesiastical history would do. As I said, if you know of one, feel free to cite it's title and author here. Otherwise, you have already been categorically refuted in Post #288 above. I'll wait for your answer.

No kidding? I've been studying such works for decades, including during the forty years I spent as an Evangelical Protestant, and during my education at an Evangelical Protestant university and then seminary. Thanks for the tip, though.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Always willing to help those in need.:)

Cruciform

Always willing to help those in need.:)
Still waiting for you to post the title and author of a qualified and credentialed academic scholar of ecclesiastical history who affirms the wildly ahistorical anti-Catholics claims you've made on this thread. Go ahead and post your proof.

Sancocho

I'll just stick with the Scriptures, God has given us all we need for salvation within the Holy Bible without adding all such things as does the Catholic religion.

You can thank a Catholic for your Bible.

OCTOBER23

YOU SHALL KNOW THEM BY THEIR FRUITS.

Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits.

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit;
but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

WHAT KIND OF FRUITS DOES THE CATHOLIC CHURCH HAVE ?

= A LOT OF PAGAN FRUITS. :think:

IDOLOTRY - WORSHIPPING STATUES AND PICTURES OF MARY

DISOBEDIENCE OF THE WORDS OF JESUS - CALL NO MAN FATHER INSTEAD OF GOD.

KEEPING PAGAN DAYS INSTEAD OF GOD'S ASSIGNED FEASTS

Sancocho

YOU SHALL KNOW THEM BY THEIR FRUITS.

WHAT KIND OF FRUITS DOES THE CATHOLIC CHURCH HAVE. = A LOT OF FRUITS. :think:

Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits.

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit;
but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Catholic countries with a Concordat are among the most peaceful countries in existence, don't allow child sacrifice or homosexual indoctrination and require Christian education. Even Catholic countries like Chile have superior social indicators compared to the US and Europe, such as the homicide rate. Chile's is 4 while the US is 380 or 95 TIMES HIGHER. Of course for those who embrace the prosperity gospel money is the only true judge of being blessed.