Private Message to a Liberal Moderator: Liberal Censorship

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In precisely the same sense that it's "censorship" to delete a posting that vulgar language.

Furthermore, if you actually read my arguments in that thread, you'll find that the kind of posting that I'm attacking doesn't really have an argumentative content.

There's a clear difference between:

1. Being censored because you don't agree with me.

2. Being "censored" because, instead of providing an opinion and arguments in favor of it, you chose to throw around personal insults.

Apparently you do not see a personal insult in stating "no muslim can be trusted because they believe it's OK to lie in certain circumstances"?

Please do not pretend that your comment had a higher purpose than a generalized slamming of a whole group of people, Tradito.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Never.

And even if I did, you would be right not to trust me in those circumstances.

Ultimately, however, this is beside the point.

The kind of liberal censorship in question simply is unacceptable.

And what of the midwives? Did they do wrong when they lied?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Apparently you do not see a personal insult in stating "no muslim can be trusted because they believe it's OK to lie in certain circumstances"?

By definition, no, it's not a personal insult. "No muslim can be trusted" is a negative universal claim.

Furthermore, I also wish to point out that you've quoted me as providing an argument for the claim in question.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
By definition, no, it's not a personal insult. "No muslim can be trusted" is a negative universal claim.
No Catholic believes in Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Don't worry, I didn't mean anything personal by stating your faith, and you by your adherence thereto, is made up entirely of non-believers, just universal negative observation.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
No Catholic believes in Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Don't worry, I didn't mean anything personal by stating your faith, and you by your adherence thereto, is made up entirely of non-believers, just universal negative observation.

1. Yes, by definition, it's not personal. You didn't say "Traditio does not believe in Jesus as his lord and savior." You said "No Catholic," etc.

2. I do, however, wish to note that you've provided no argument that this is true. I actually provided a reason for the truth of my claim: "Because they believe in taqiya."

At that point, the prerogative is on my opponent either:

A. To show that taqiya does not entail that Muslims cannot be trusted.
B. That Muslims do not believe in taqiya.

3. Protestants make this claim all the time on TOL, and they are not censored.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
And your opinion counts for what? God rewarded them.

I quote the commentary of the Douay Rheims:

"Because the midwives feared God: The midwives were rewarded, not for their lie, which was a venial sin; but for their fear of God, and their humanity: but this reward was only temporal, in building them houses, that is, in establishing and enriching their families. "

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I quote the commentary of the Douay Rheims:

"Because the midwives feared God: The midwives were rewarded, not for their lie, which was a venial sin; but for their fear of God, and their humanity: but this reward was only temporal, in building them houses, that is, in establishing and enriching their families. "
Maybe you should show us where scripture says not to lie.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Oh ... so if someone states "no Catholic can be trusted" it can be dismissed as being *a negative universal claim*. Got it.

Furthermore, I also wish to point out that you've quoted me as providing an argument for the claim in question.

Which you did not do ... your argument was one of an extremely biased SLAM towards Muslim ... aka a lazy generalization.

You have no way of proving that there are no Muslims who can be trusted. Though we can take it further and substitute the word *Catholic* ... as in "no Catholic can be trusted".

Would we even be having this discussion of this censorship had occurred in reference to the above statement?

BTW, your professor has an obligation towards ALL of his students, not just you.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Oh ... so if someone states "no Catholic can be trusted" it can be dismissed as being *a negative universal claim*. Got it.

I'm only pointing out that it wouldn't be personal. By definition.

Which you did not do ... your argument was one of an extremely biased SLAM towards Muslim ... aka a lazy generalization.

I provided a syllogism:

1. Whoever believes that it's OK to lie in certain circumstances may not be trusted.
2. Muslims believe it is OK to lie in such and such circumstances (vis-a-vis taqiya).
3. Therefore, Muslims may not be trusted.

You could make the claim that the Muslim in question does not believe in taqiya. But how do I know that he's not committing taqiya in claiming that he doesn't believe in it?

You have no way of proving that there are no Muslims who can be trusted. Though we can take it further and substitute the word *Catholic* ... as in "no Catholic can be trusted".

What argument could you provide in favor of it?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What argument could you provide in favor of it?

I could throw out every atrocity committed in the name of the church and by individual Catholics. After all, if one does it, they are all guilty ... or at least they cannot be trusted.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I'm just saying. God most certainly was not a liar in the beginning, nor is God the father of lies.

That would just be silly. God is Truth Itself.

Someone else is the father of lies.

This is no way address the question I asked you. Here is what I asked of you: Maybe you should show us where scripture says not to lie.

Care to take one more try at answering the question?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
This is no way address the question I asked you. Here is what I asked of you: Maybe you should show us where scripture says not to lie.

Care to take one more try at answering the question?

:think:

Leviticus 19:11 You shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another

Psalms 119:163 I hate and abhor lying: but your law do I love.

Proverbs 12:22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.

Proverbs 13:5 A righteous man hates lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and comes to shame.

Proverbs 14:5 A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies.

Proverbs 17:7 Excellent speech becomes not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince.

Zephaniah 3:13 The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth: for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid.

John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and stayed not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace to the hearers.

Colossians 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that you have put off the old man with his deeds;

Revelation 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and fornicators, and murderers, and idolaters, and whoever loves and makes a lie.

http://www.godvine.com/bible/category/lying