Private Message to a Liberal Moderator: Liberal Censorship

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Assuming you have at least the average IQ of someone in a doctoral program it is likely a fact that you have superior capacity for rational analysis and that you're faster at it. You almost certainly have a better memory and a wider base of knowledge to draw upon and your discipline has honed that to some extent. It's also true that if you have an argument that is founded in merit none of that needs to be stated. If you're a king in the moment the crown of your point will demonstrate it. If it isn't demonstrated by your argument than either you've done a poor job of presenting it or the other fellow, limitations notwithstanding, has found a better one.

Intelligence is an advantage, as is education, but people with both are not infrequently wrong about any number of things and people without impressive stores of either are not infrequently right about any number of things.

It is almost always a point of hubris to tell someone that you're smarter than they are. Unless your statement was proceeded by the person asking, "Honestly, do you think you're smarter than I am?" or some variation thereof. And even then the smarter course is to shake that off and get back to the real question.

I suppose if called upon to defend my claim in a non-hubristic way, it would be something like this:

"Moderator, you have attempted to censor me simply because I have expressed such an opinion. The fact is, however, that I have greater intelligence and education than you and am perfectly willing and able to defend my claim. As such, not only should it be afforded public forum for debate, but your presumption of its indefensibility presupposes, in your sheer liberal hubris, that you have either the education or the rational ability to make a final judgment on the matter once and for all.

I'm smarter than you. I'm more educated than you. And I hold this view.

That in and of itself should give you sufficient pause to afford me the opportunity to allow the matter to be settled on rational principles and not to be censored."

Ultimately, that would be my point.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Assuming you have at least the average IQ of someone in a doctoral program it is likely a fact that you have superior capacity for rational analysis and that you're faster at it. You almost certainly have a better memory and a wider base of knowledge to draw upon and your discipline has honed that to some extent. It's also true that if you have an argument that is founded in merit none of that needs to be stated. If you're a king in the moment the crown of your point will demonstrate it. If it isn't demonstrated by your argument than either you've done a poor job of presenting it or the other fellow, limitations notwithstanding, has found a better one.

Intelligence is an advantage, as is education, but people with both are not infrequently wrong about any number of things and people without impressive stores of either are not infrequently right about any number of things.

It is almost always a point of hubris to tell someone that you're smarter than they are. Unless your statement was proceeded by the person asking, "Honestly, do you think you're smarter than I am?" or some variation thereof. And even then the smarter course is to shake that off and get back to the real question.
What's your problem ? Do you think you're smarter than me or something ?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
With all due respect,
Have you ever noticed that what tends to follow that is often the same sort of thing that follows, "Not to sound racist..." :plain: Okay, let's see if you shook the hubris out with your last exercise.

the burden shouldn't be on me to coddle and baby my audience in order not to be censored.
Not my suggestion. What I suggested is leaving the self-defeating, self-aggrandizing on the editing room floor, present a clear and reasonable concern.

The burden should be on the person taking issue with my claims to find a substantial/"legitimate" reason to censor me. Examples include: the use of vulgar language, personal attacks, etc.
Seems to me he gave you a warning your immeasurable intelligence (somebody call chrys to see what I did there) should have been able to accommodate without real difficulty if the point was to actually have a conversation with someone. That strikes me as the mod's intent, given what he had to say.

This reeks of the general liberal advocacy of things like trigger warnings for college students, "safe spaces," and all of that liberal nonsense.
No, it's mostly about manners and perception, about how you can disagree with the premise of, say, TOL, without resorting to calling God or the people who believe in him deluded degenerates because of your own good opinion of the collective, brutal superstition you conflate with a factual analysis.

That sort of thing.

Fact is, I got censored simply because the moderator in question found my views objectionable.
I think you were censored because he found you objectionable. How you presented the idea, not the idea itself.

And just so that you don't think that I'm looking at things through rose colored glasses," here is the actual conversation:
I read it. You were given an opportunity to do what I suggested and instead of proclaiming what you understood to be the truth in a way to invite your continued presence and an actual discussion, you gave the moderator what for...

It's sympatomatic of the thin-skinned liberal mentality of "Free speech only if nobody is offended; otherwise, it's hate speech, and no free speech for you.
It really isn't. People being as condescendingly hostile to Christianity get run from Christian boards too. Liberalism only has to do with it because that's your bias and context for shaping the enemy.

Or maybe you just read it on a wiki page somewhere. :think:

Frankly, this very much smacks of the time that Knight banned me for my "OSAS is a satanic doctrine" thread.
You're not really thinking the whole "liberal" complaint through there, are you sparky... :nono:

What's your problem ? Do you think you're smarter than me or something ?
And the joke goes, "I wouldn't say I think I'm smarter."

That nonsense kills me...on par with the IQ obsession. If there's a crown, I'll see it. If you have to tell me it's there then the chances are you're an emperor or worried that you might be and winter is on the way. :denver:

PureX

The moral of the story?

Liberals believe in freedom of speech.

Just so long as you agree with them. :nono:
What makes you think this person is a liberal? There are plenty of radical religious zealots that think they are "conservatives" when they are nowhere near being conservative. Just as there are left wing ideologues that think they are liberals and then behave like tyrants.

If you're going to insist on labeling people, the least you could do is try and correctly define the labels so you can apply them accurately.

Quetzal

What makes you think this person is a liberal? There are plenty of radical religious zealots that think they are "conservatives" when they are nowhere near being conservative. Just as there are left wing ideologues that think they are liberals and then behave like tyrants.

If you're going to insist on labeling people, the least you could do is try and correctly define the labels so you can apply them accurately.
Are you expecting someone with the "superior intellect" that Traditio has to admit he might be wrong? HA! :eek:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Seems to me he gave you a warning your immeasurable intelligence (somebody call chrys to see what I did there) should have been able to accommodate without real difficulty if the point was to actually have a conversation with someone. That strikes me as the mod's intent, given what he had to say.

What precisely do you find objectionable in what I wrote? I here repeat the quote to which the moderator took exception:

Absolutely not. Even if you were a muslim (and so offended by my postings in this thread) or black (and so offended by my comments in another thread to the effect that I like Johnny Rebel), nothing that I've said is personal or intended to disparage any individual person.

And see, this is where Muslim doctrines as dangerous come into play.

From what I understand, it's perfectly permissible in Islam for a muslim to lie to a non-muslim in order to promote Islam, or else, to preserve himself.

I have absolutely no reason to trust a muslim when that muslim is permitted by his religion to lie to me.

Note, of course, that this isn't personal.

Even if you were a Muslim, you might be completely truthful when you say that you are a proud American (and so imply that you prefer American law to Shariah law).

Nonetheless, as a Muslim (if you are a Muslim), I have no reason to think that you are being truthful.

What precisely in this do you find impolite or otherwise personally objectionable?

I wager that the only thing that you'll come up with is what the moderator came up with, namely, that I didn't limit the scope of my assertion to muslim extremists, but said that this holds true of muslims in general.

But that's not a matter of polite vs. impolite. That's a matter of fact which is in dispute. As such, that calls for counter-evidence and debate, not censorship.

The moderator chose censorship, and it's that to which I take exception.

No, it's mostly about manners and perception, about how you can disagree with the premise of, say, TOL, without resorting to calling God or the people who believe in him deluded degenerates because of your own good opinion of the collective, brutal superstition you conflate with a factual analysis.

I did nothing of the sort. My comment that Muslims cannot be trusted is roughly equivalent to my saying that Christians, if they actually practice their faith, are, for the most part, economically useless one day a week.

I think you were censored because he found you objectionable. How you presented the idea, not the idea itself.

What precisely do you find objectionable in the way that I presented the idea? Quote the exact bit that you find objectionable.

I read it. You were given an opportunity to do what I suggested and instead of proclaiming what you understood to be the truth in a way to invite your continued presence and an actual discussion, you gave the moderator what for...

You're darn right I did. He essentially said: "Asserting that such and such a thing is true of Muslims, insofar as they are Muslims, is unacceptable on this board, if what you are saying holds true of Muslims, as Muslims, makes them look bad."

That's censorship. That's intellectually unacceptable in a free Western society.

It really isn't. People being as condescendingly hostile to Christianity get run from Christian boards too. Liberalism only has to do with it because that's your bias and context for shaping the enemy.

Because modern liberals, especially in Western society, are incredibly open to opposition. Because they have incredibly thick skin. Because they never try to silence their opponents, e.g., by accusing them of hate speech.

Right?

You're not really thinking the whole "liberal" complaint through there, are you sparky... :nono:

Fair point. That said, It's not just that site. I've had basically the same experience on another predominately liberal forum. Basically, "be polite" is used as a thinly veiled excuse to censor far right opinions, and the liberals on the site are incredibly quick to jump on any little rule they can precisely for that purpose.

And ultimately, that's why I'm posting this here.

It's not just a matter of me having a personal squabble with a particular moderator.

It's symptomatic of the state of far left liberalism in general.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What precisely do you find objectionable in what I wrote?
To begin with, a certainty attaching to your approach that you garnered from a wiki article. If someone decided to tell you your philosophical business with a background that was comprised of a wiki article and then held forth on your veracity and the veracity of every philosopher who followed Aristotle because that article said Aristotle said that it was permissible to lie, well, I don't think you'd feel comfortable with it. I think you'd be offended. Most people would.

It's a bit like an anti-theist aiming rhetoric at Christians while evidencing no substantive familiarity with the Bible.

I wager that the only thing that you'll come up with is what the moderator came up with, namely, that I didn't limit the scope of my assertion to muslim extremists, but said that this holds true of muslims in general.
A poor bet. Though not all Muslims agree, which is why as with Christendom there are schisms and differences on application of verse, that sort of thing.

I thought portraying every Muslim as untrustworthy because it may be permissible to lie under particular conditions is a bit under thought.

Christians have the same freedom. Do you believe it is a moral good or fault to lie to protect the innocent from the evil, by way of example? Or would you say, "Sure, we have Jews in the basement and darn you Nazis for asking! Shoot...but not in front of me, please, I'm sensitive."

But that's not a matter of polite vs. impolite.
It is in how you framed a point that could and arguably should have come as a question to the Muslim. Someone who unlike you has likely read the book in question. A simple, "I read that the Quaran permits Muslims to lie to those outside of the faith. If that is true and this (citation) speaks to it, then how can those of us outside of your faith feel comfortable that we aren't being deceived?"

Now if the point is to contend and clarify and, on the chance your wiki reading has given you insufficient information, find correction, then you've served the aim without ostensibly saying, "From what I read about your holy book you all may as well be liars when it comes to non-Muslims. Why should I trust you?"

But the real reason you were tossed was how you confronted the mod, which was rude and pointlessly assumptive, right or wrong.

That's a matter of fact which is in dispute. As such, that calls for counter-evidence and debate, not censorship.

The moderator chose censorship, and it's that to which I take exception.
No, the mod chose to toss a yahoo who when told to take the volume down instead not only got into said mod's face, but insulted him and attempted to expand the insult to his entire contextual approach. It was you, not your message, that put you on the bench.

You're darn right I did. He essentially said: "Asserting that such and such a thing is true of Muslims, insofar as they are Muslims, is unacceptable on this board, if what you are saying holds true of Muslims, as Muslims, makes them look bad."

That's censorship. That's intellectually unacceptable in a free Western society.
He said, "Panning a whole religion as "untrustworthy" isn't something that's ok here. Rein it in and be polite."

So what he actually said was, if anyone tries to broad brush any religion as liars they're coloring outside of the lines. He gave you an opportunity to change your method. I've already shown you how easy that would be.

Because modern liberals, especially in Western society, are incredibly open to opposition. Because they have incredibly thick skin. Because they never try to silence their opponents, e.g., by accusing them of hate speech.

Right?
Depends on the liberal. Extremists don't tend to be very tolerant of opposition. Remember the hard right attacking the patriotism of anyone from the left over a difference of opinion? That's how it goes toward the end of either side of the spectrum. Hostile, paranoid and prone to the worst ethnocentric conduct.

It's not just a matter of me having a personal squabble with a particular moderator.
It really is, you just aren't seeing it, the same way you failed to see he wasn't defending Muslims, but the principle in play regarding approach in the forum, at least as he saw it, which is his call to make, given.

It's symptomatic of the state of far left liberalism in general.
You're only half right there.

Last edited:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
To begin with, a certainty attaching to your approach that you garnered from a wiki article.

Except, I didn't appeal to the wikipedia article until after the moderator reacted to my posting with an authoritarian "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT."

Furthermore, a "certainty attaching to my approach" is not rude or impolite. The appropriate answer to such a "certainty" is counter-evidence, not censorship.

If someone decided to tell you your philosophical business with a background that was comprised of a wiki article and then held forth on your veracity and the veracity of every philosopher who followed Aristotle because that article said Aristotle said that it was permissible to lie, well, I don't think you'd feel comfortable with it. I think you'd be offended. Most people would.

I wouldn't demand that the view be censored. I'd present counter-evidence. In the same thread, the claim was made that Aristotle was fine with sodomy. Had I not been censored, I would readily have provided textual evidence that he thought that sodomy was a crime against nature.

It's a bit like an anti-theist aiming rhetoric at Christians while evidencing no substantive familiarity with the Bible.

Again, the answer to this is counter-evidence and open debate, not censorship.

I understand that liberals find this a positively bizarre notion (thus the behavior of the liberal protestors at Trump rallies), but I assure you, it makes perfect sense.

A poor bet. Though not all Muslims agree, which is why as with Christendom there are schisms and differences on application of verse, that sort of thing.

Again, this is a legitimate point to make in the course of a public/open debate. It is not a legitimate excuse to censor someone.

I thought portraying every Muslim as untrustworthy because it may be permissible to lie under particular conditions is a bit under thought.

I presented an argument for this in the following posting for which I was banned:

Premise: X can be trusted if and only if can be expected to tell the truth in a given set of circumstances.
Premise: Muslims cannot be expected to tell the truth in certain circumstances.
Conclusion: Muslims cannot be trusted in those circumstances.

But again, I wish to point out that the problem is the censorship. I asked you what you found objectionable or impolite in the posting to which the moderator took exception, and you've ultimately come up with nothing at all. Because you can't. Nothing I said was impolite. I took great care to tell my interlocutor that I intended no personal insult.

Christians have the same freedom. Do you believe it is a moral good or fault to lie to protect the innocent from the evil, by way of example?

I think that it's always wrong to tell a lie. Regardless of the circumstances.

We can debate this, but ultimately, it's irrelevant to the thread.

I made a claim about a matter of fact, and the moderator chose, not to ask for evidence of the claim, for my reasoning, or encourage others to provide counter-evidence. No. He chose the censorship route.

It is in how you framed a point that could and arguably should have come as a question to the Muslim. Someone who unlike you has likely read the book in question. A simple, "I read that the Quaran permits Muslims to lie to those outside of the faith. If that is true and this (citation) speaks to it, then how can those of us outside of your faith feel comfortable that we aren't being deceived?"

I shouldn't have to present it in the form of a question. If I am in error, then others should be presenting counter-evidence, not calling for me to be censored. Period.

But the real reason you were tossed was how you confronted the mod, which was rude and pointlessly assumptive, right or wrong.

Read what he said. He basically said: "It is not acceptable to make certain claims about entire classes of people. [Never mind whether or not those claims are true. It's simply not acceptable! HATE SPEECH!]"

That's illegitimate censorship and that merits confrontation and protest.

The proper response to someone saying saying that a given point of view may not be expressed, whether it's true or not, whether it's well supported or ill-supported...

Well. We're on TOL. I can't tell you what the proper response is. That would get me banned.

No, the mod chose to toss a yahoo who when told to take the volume down instead not only got into said mod's face, but insulted him and attempted to expand the insult to his entire contextual approach. It was you, not your message, that put you on the bench.

You are speaking as though the initial approach of the mod was legitimate, that he had legitimate cause to call me out over my posting. I disagree with this. You have yet to point out anything in the posting that should have merited moderator intervention beyond: 1. the presentation of counter-evidence, 2. a request for evidence or 3. the suggestion that others present counter-evidence.

He didn't. This is basically what went down:

Me: Such and such is the case.
Him: YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!
Me: If it's true, I'm saying it. As for you, if you think that you have some kind of claim to censor me, you can...[censored]

He had it coming. :idunno:

So what he actually said was, if anyone tries to broad brush any religion as liars they're coloring outside of the lines. He gave you an opportunity to change your method. I've already shown you how easy that would be.

Supra. The burden isn't on me to change my approach and soften my claims. The burden is on my opponent to present counter-evidence.

Edit:

Finally, I'd like to note that I presented the wikipedia article as evidence. This is much greater evidence than what the moderator and my interlocutor presented. They presented no evidence.

journey

Traditio,

It would appear that this matter is closed. You've been banned for your efforts to have your own way. What remaining choices do you have in this matter?