Praying football coach creates a mess

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I'm sure that's what you believe, but.....so what?

so it makes a heckuva lot better dialogue than just saying "the supreme court already decided this, so there! :p "

the supreme court's gotten it wrong before

they'll get it wrong in the future

now, can you (not the supreme court) tell me why we should believe:

1. that the coach in question was "promoting" a religion?

and

2. why we should equate "promoting" with "establishing"?

i'll help you out:

pro·mote
prəˈmōt/
verb
gerund or present participle: promoting

1.further the progress of (something, especially a cause, venture, or aim); support or actively encourage.

es·tab·lish
iˈstabliSH/
verb
verb: establish; 3rd person present: establishes; past tense: established; past participle: established; gerund or present participle: establishing

1. set up (an organization, system, or set of rules) on a firm or permanent basis.

2.achieve permanent acceptance or recognition for.

genuineoriginal

Well, no. You can do those things without marching to the center of the field to draw attention to yourself. You can also do these things when you are not being paid by the state in a leadership role.
The ban on his free exercise of religion went much farther than that.
_____
source
He was also ordered to avoid kneeling, bowing his head or doing anything that could remotely be seen as religious.
_____​

Quetzal

The ban on his free exercise of religion went much farther than that.
_____
source
He was also ordered to avoid kneeling, bowing his head or doing anything that could remotely be seen as religious.
_____​
Meh, I think this entire case is pretty stupid. The school/district is just trying to protect itself from getting sued.

Quetzal

I am okay with your arguments as to why you feel this is wrong. But just understand, by your same logic Muslims, Satanists, Buddhists, Taoists, Druids, etc; are all able to go perform similar acts of reverence in the same fashion and you have to be okay with that.

ok doser

I am okay with your arguments as to why you feel this is wrong. But just understand, by your same logic Muslims, Satanists, Buddhists, Taoists, Druids, etc; are all able to go perform similar acts of reverence in the same fashion and you have to be okay with that.

why not let the societal values of the town prevail?

genuineoriginal

Meh, I think this entire case is pretty stupid. The school/district is just trying to protect itself from getting sued.

Yes, but let's think this through a bit.

What would happen to a school that ordered a woman to avoid doing anything that could remotely be seen as feminine?

What would happen to a school that ordered an Asian American to avoid doing anything that could remotely be seen as Asian?

Why would it be acceptable for a school to order a Christian American to avoid doing anything that could remotely be seen as Christian?

Quetzal

Yes, but let's think this through a bit.

What would happen to a school that ordered a woman to avoid doing anything that could remotely be seen as feminine?

What would happen to a school that ordered an Asian American to avoid doing anything that could remotely be seen as Asian?

Why would it be acceptable for a school to order a Christian American to avoid doing anything that could remotely be seen as Christian?
I don't think those things are comparable. A Christian can change religions, leave, and come back; etc. A woman can't really stop being a woman. An Asian cannot change his race.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
In the OP, the coach is not promoting a religion, he is practicing his religion, an activity protected by the first amendment's free exercise clause.

Change that to "the coach is not promoting a specific Christian denomination" and you'll have the same mindset of the great men that founded our once Christian nation.

Jose Fly

the supreme court's gotten it wrong before

they'll get it wrong in the future

And they've gotten it right before, and will get it right in the future. What's your point?

now, can you (not the supreme court) tell me why we should believe:

1. that the coach in question was "promoting" a religion?

and

2. why we should equate "promoting" with "establishing"?

Already done. You didn't agree. That's why we have courts...to resolve such disagreements.

ok doser

And they've gotten it right before, and will get it right in the future. What's your point?

Already done. You didn't agree. That's why we have courts...to resolve such disagreements.

then you're not interested in discussing it past "this is what the supreme court says! :p "

that's too bad - i really would have liked to have heard your defense of a bad supreme court decision

meanwhile, to anybody following, take note that "promote"=/="establish" regardless of what the morons on the supreme court say

Jose Fly

then you're not interested in discussing it past "this is what the supreme court says! :p "

Sure I am. Just not with you.

that's too bad - i really would have liked to have heard your defense of a bad supreme court decision

Already done. Pay attention.

meanwhile, to anybody following, take note that "promote"=/="establish" regardless of what the morons on the supreme court say

That and 25 cents will get you a gumball out of the machine. :chuckle:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Fired for praying. :AMR:

Are the evolutionists even listening to themselves? :idunno:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Satanists want an invite :allsmile:]

[Quote from your article] ...If the school chooses to tacitly approve the coach’s prayers by failing to stop or discipline him, they are opening up the football field as an open religious forum, and by federal law they must ensure that all religions have equal access to that forum, including Satanism....If the school district prevents Kennedy from praying publicly or disciplines or discharges him accordingly, we will withdraw our Invocation request.

Why should the school invite the Satanists? Ex 20:3 :dizzy:

The coach is free to pray with his team all he'd like. He's breaking no law (Jn 8:36). :straight:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
i tend to respond to people who hold positions they can't support, positions based on faulty logic or emotion or weak reasoning, like you or purex or town or granite or zoo or anna or aikey or traci etc.

For what it's worth, and I say this with all due respect and in all politeness, I really do wish that you would, at the very least, be more respectful to Mrs. Benedetti...at the very least, by avoiding calling her names or openly ridiculing her.

And likewise, Mrs. Benedetti with respect to Ok Doser.

I'm aware that you disagree with each other, but there's no reason that you can't be polite to each other and have reasonable discussions.