Praying football coach creates a mess

gcthomas

It's ok for an atheist to give input on a theology website, but not ok for a Christian to give his input alone on a football field?

This isn't a government website.

The coach in question was not on his own time.

Seems line an obvious distinction to me.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This isn't a government website.
So far as you know. :noid:

The coach in question was not on his own time.
Arguable, given the game was over. It's more an agency issue than a time issue.
Seems line an obvious distinction to me.
Seems like much ado about nothing, the sort of determined, hostile advance that undermines a host of reasonable objections and helps foster and fan the justification for many that their faith is under attack and that a failure to mount a backlash will lead to fare more invasive and prohibitive measures.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
So far as you know. :noid:

Seems like much ado about nothing, the sort of determined, hostile advance that undermines a host of reasonable objections and helps foster and fan the justification for many that their faith is under attack and that a failure to mount a backlash will lead to fare more invasive and prohibitive measures.

:doh:

dude

you gotta slow down and scan this stuff before you hit send

gcthomas

Probably an unimportant distinction. The coach was on the sports field with his players, so unless all the parents were allowed out onto the centre circle to hold their own ceremonies, then he is still acting as a coach and against his employer's instructions. That is always likely to get you fired, isn't it? The man had no reasonable right of private access to the children on the pitch outside of his coaching role, so it is bound to be seen as impermissible.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Probably an unimportant distinction. The coach was on the sports field with his players,
Only those players who, having quit the field of play and their role as extensions/representative of the school body, chose to reenter or remain on the grounds for prayer. You know prayer is allowed on school grounds, of course.

so unless all the parents were allowed out onto the centre circle to hold their own ceremonies, then he is still acting as a coach and against his employer's instructions.
Doesn't appear that anyone was barred from joining in or standing about, or reciting a rosary, or reading from Common Sense.

That is always likely to get you fired, isn't it? The man had no reasonable right of private access to the children on the pitch outside of his coaching role, so it is bound to be seen as impermissible.
I think the objection will by and large go to his agency and its impact as a coercive element, but I'd like to take a shot at the appeal.

Jose Fly

According to the school, the coach was praying at the 50-yard line at the conclusion of the game, before players had been released to go by the coach, and while the coach was still on paid time (in the pictures the players are still wearing their uniforms and have their pads on, indicating that the prayer was immediately after the game).

Having played numerous school sports, I can't recall a time when as soon as the game was over, we players were allowed to just leave. Typically there was at least a team huddle with the coach (most often an actual summary, sit-down session), followed by additional post-game activities (showers, medical treatment, equipment collection, clean up).

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would say that the coach was not being paid for his time. But for doing the job of a coach and winning matches and/or getting the best out of his players. I would also venture to suggest that regardless of any religious connotations, praying with his team would be a great way to promote team spirit, and so long as the prayer was not forced on the players, he was actually doing his job here. Jose Fly-by-night is just looking for an excuse for a whinge.

Jose Fly

I would say that the coach was not being paid for his time.

You can say that, but it isn't worth much. That's a question best addressed by the school, and they've stated that he was on paid time.

But for doing the job of a coach and winning matches and/or getting the best out of his players. I would also venture to suggest that regardless of any religious connotations, praying with his team would be a great way to promote team spirit

As long as it's your kind of prayer, right? If he was a Satanist and led the team in a Satanic prayer, I have a feeling you'd be arguing differently.

and so long as the prayer was not forced on the players, he was actually doing his job here.

Nah. As a coach, he is an influential figure to his players and as such, there is coercive pressure for the players to go along with his actions.

Jose Fly-by-night is just looking for an excuse for a whinge.

????????? I'm not the one litigating this or filing complaints. I'm no different than anyone else in this thread....an interested spectator posting his opinions.