Planned Parenthood butchers reject federal funding offer proposed by Trump

glassjester

It's only dissonant because you fail to discern between a viable fetus and an inchoate one.
It's all the same to pro-life ideology.

"Viable" is only a comment on the current state of medical technology, not really a characteristic of the fetus, per se.

quip

BANNED
Banned
"Viable" is only a comment on the current state of medical technology, not really a characteristic of the fetus, per se.
Ok.
It's all we have to work with currently.
Things could indeed change both medically and subsequently legally....if that's what you're implying.

glassjester

Ok.
It's all we have to work with currently.
Things could indeed change both medically and subsequently legally....if that's what you're implying.

Yes, that's a possibility - but not what I meant to point out.

I don't think the current state of medical technology (which defines viability) can determine whether someone has the right to life.

So if you're arguing that viability dictates the unborn child's right to be alive, I have to ask: why?

Why should a doctor's ability to save your life determine whether the law should protect your life? Does that hold true in any other situation?

If someone's shot by a mugger, and the doctor can't save him, do the police call off the case? "Well chief, the hospital didn't have the technology to keep the victim alive, so it wasn't murder."

quip

BANNED
Banned
Yes, that's a possibility - but not what I meant to point out.

I don't think the current state of medical technology (which defines viability) can determine whether someone has the right to life.

So if you're arguing that viability dictates the unborn child's right to be alive, I have to ask: why?

Why should a doctor's ability to save your life determine whether the law should protect your life? Does that hold true in any other situation?

If someone's shot by a mugger, and the doctor can't save him, do the police call off the case? "Well chief, the hospital didn't have the technology to keep the victim alive, so it wasn't murder."

First of all, we were arguing my personal, moral exceptions to a women's right to an abortion.

Second, SCOTUS didn't elaborate on what it considered to be the state's "compelling interest"...though I dont beleive this confers any "right to life" on behalf of the unborn.