Paris attacks

Greg Jennings

God has commanded that ALL men must die that is NT as well as OT, that is for HIM to decide not for man.
And Mohammed supposedly got his direction straight from God.

....Jesus acknowledges your flattery I'm sure, if you think He is so admiral why don't you follow Him?

I try to follow his example by being compassionate and reasonable with others, and also by questioning the fundamentalist beliefs entrenched in the minds of some, as he did with the Pharisees. I'm human, and I screw up from time to time. But you know what they say: shoot for the stars and you'll hit the moon

brewmama

Mohammed claimed to speak to God and receive instruction from him. How do you know he didn't? According to him, God commanded him to slaughter just as he'd commanded the Davidic line to. How can you know he's lying and that the Israelite leaders weren't?

I have to believe you are just playing devil's advocate and are not really so thoughtless that you cannot see the difference in creating a promised land for his chosen people in order to bring forth Christ, and a violent takeover of the entire world. Not to mention that one reason the Hebrews had to stay in Egypt so long is that the people in Canaan weren't at the height of their evilness (with their child sacrifice and so on).

Greg Jennings

I have to believe you are just playing devil's advocate and are not really so thoughtless that you cannot see the difference in creating a promised land for his chosen people in order to bring forth Christ, and a violent takeover of the entire world. Not to mention that one reason the Hebrews had to stay in Egypt so long is that the people in Canaan weren't at the height of their evilness (with their child sacrifice and so on).

I hate to break this to you, but there is literally no evidence that the Jews were captive in Egypt at the time of Exodus. Nada. Doesn't mean it didn't happen necessarily, but it casts some serious doubt on the story.

Anyway, you seem to be good with God telling Israelites to slaughter innocent people, but the idea of God telling Mohammed to do the same is somehow preposterous to you? You really can't see the hypocritical disconnect of that?

And you said above that I'm comparing the takeover of Israel with takeover of the world, and I'm not. I'm comparing the takeover of Israel by the Jews with Mohammed's takeover of some of the Middle East. There isn't a difference. They both were said to be instructed by God to kill, and they did just that. If you want to hold that against Mohammed then you must also condemn the Jewish leaders who killed all men, women, children, and livestock of conquered cities. That's some serious divine grace and forgiveness there, huh?

Greg Jennings

Lol. What a clearly unbiased source you have there!

Here's a Jewish source. Keep in mind, they have a lot more to lose than you by admitting Exodus wasn't accurate:

"there is no evidence whatsoever that the Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt. Yes, there's the story contained within the bible itself, but that's not a remotely historically admissible source. I'm talking about real proof; archeological evidence, state records and primary sources. Of these, nothing exists.

It is hard to believe that 600,000 families (which would mean about two million people) crossed the entire Sinai without leaving one shard of pottery (the archeologist's best friend) with Hebrew writing on it. It is remarkable that Egyptian records make no mention of the sudden migration of what would have been nearly a quarter of their population, nor has any evidence been found for any of the expected effects of such an exodus; such as economic downturn or labor shortages. Furthermore, there is no evidence in Israel that shows a sudden influx of people from another culture at that time. No rapid departure from traditional pottery has been seen, no record or story of a surge in population."

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/the-j...h-1.420844?v=A7693F23035E2643BD7AD82DA9653876

In summation, there is no evidence for it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Here's a Jewish source. Keep in mind, they have a lot more to lose than you by admitting Exodus wasn't accurate:

"there is no evidence whatsoever that the Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt. Yes, there's the story contained within the bible itself, but that's not a remotely historically admissible source. I'm talking about real proof; archeological evidence, state records and primary sources. Of these, nothing exists.

It is hard to believe that 600,000 families (which would mean about two million people) crossed the entire Sinai without leaving one shard of pottery (the archeologist's best friend) with Hebrew writing on it. It is remarkable that Egyptian records make no mention of the sudden migration of what would have been nearly a quarter of their population, nor has any evidence been found for any of the expected effects of such an exodus; such as economic downturn or labor shortages. Furthermore, there is no evidence in Israel that shows a sudden influx of people from another culture at that time. No rapid departure from traditional pottery has been seen, no record or story of a surge in population."

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/the-j...h-1.420844?v=A7693F23035E2643BD7AD82DA9653876

Yours is biased also. There is evidence, whether you like it, or believe it or not, to say there is none is a lie.

Greg Jennings

Yours is biased also. There is evidence, whether you like it, or believe it or not, to say there is none is a lie.

Here's a challenge, Angel: Find me one single source that isn't a self-professing Christianity website that says there is evidence for Exodus. Just one. Surely if there's evidence then some independent source would be on that, right?

Or are you one of those conspiracy-theorist Christians who thinks science is practiced with the aim of leading people away from God?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
This is hilarious. Literally the first sentence from your source here:

'"The actual evidence concerning the Exodus resembles the evidence for the unicorn," writes Baruch Halpern of Pennsylvania State University.'

I didn't know you believed in unicorns, Angel?

Quote it all in context, instead of being intellectually dishonest.

Greg Jennings

Quote it all in context, instead of being intellectually dishonest.

I'll be glad to quote even more from that article.

""The actual evidence concerning the Exodus resembles the evidence for the unicorn," writes Baruch Halpern of Pennsylvania State University.

"The Book of Joshua is of no historical value as far as the process of settlement is concerned," contends Volkmar Fritz, director of the German Protestant Institute of Archaeology in Jerusalem.

"The period of the patriarchs, exodus, conquest, or judges as devised by the writers of Scriptures ... never existed," declares Robert Coote of San Francisco Theological Seminary.

The Genesis and Exodus accounts are "a fiction written around the middle of the first millennium," states Niels Peter Lemche at the University of Copenhagen, and, "The David of the Bible, David the king, is not a historical figure."

Welcome to the intellectual world of the biblical minimalists, a new breed of radical scholars who would turn Abraham, Joseph, Moses, and even King David into legends and myths by the stroke of their pens. As far-out as their pronouncements may sound, their work is filtering its way into our world through seminary textbooks and media soundbites. The effect is a wholesale rejection of the Bible's accounts of Israel's origins—a matter of no small concern to believing Jews and Christians.

Answering these skeptics, however, is not always so easy as one might expect. The fact is that not one shred of direct archaeological evidence has been found for Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob or the 400-plus years the children of Israel sojourned in Egypt. The same is true ..."

That is all of the article before it cuts off because I don't have a subscription. Where in here do you think it supports your view? It looks like it supports me. And strongly

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'll be glad to quote even more from that article.

""The actual evidence concerning the Exodus resembles the evidence for the unicorn," writes Baruch Halpern of Pennsylvania State University.

"The Book of Joshua is of no historical value as far as the process of settlement is concerned," contends Volkmar Fritz, director of the German Protestant Institute of Archaeology in Jerusalem.

"The period of the patriarchs, exodus, conquest, or judges as devised by the writers of Scriptures ... never existed," declares Robert Coote of San Francisco Theological Seminary.

The Genesis and Exodus accounts are "a fiction written around the middle of the first millennium," states Niels Peter Lemche at the University of Copenhagen, and, "The David of the Bible, David the king, is not a historical figure."

Welcome to the intellectual world of the biblical minimalists, a new breed of radical scholars who would turn Abraham, Joseph, Moses, and even King David into legends and myths by the stroke of their pens. As far-out as their pronouncements may sound, their work is filtering its way into our world through seminary textbooks and media soundbites. The effect is a wholesale rejection of the Bible's accounts of Israel's origins—a matter of no small concern to believing Jews and Christians.

Answering these skeptics, however, is not always so easy as one might expect. The fact is that not one shred of direct archaeological evidence has been found for Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob or the 400-plus years the children of Israel sojourned in Egypt. The same is true ..."

That is all of the article before it cuts off because I don't have a subscription. Where in here do you think it supports your view? It looks like it supports me. And strongly

Weird, you cherry picked from several parts of it, and i can see the whole thing without a subscription or i wouldnt have posted it.

The entire article supports my position, and your words show your dishonesty, sorry for wasting my time.

Greg Jennings

Weird, you cherry picked from several parts of it, and i can see the whole thing without a subscription or i wouldnt have posted it.

The entire article supports my position, and your words show your dishonesty, sorry for wasting my time.

Well I can't see it. And anybody can click on the link and see I'm not lying but maybe you are. And no, posting every word that you can (as I did) would not be what one considers cherry-picking. Want to post it here in its entirety for me? And anyone else who wants to see?

Or maybe just explain why your article, that you claim says there is ample evidence, actually says there is no evidence at all?

Here is what I mean by I can't read all of it; this is copied and pasted from your page:

reached the end of this Article Preview
To continue reading, subscribe now. Subscribers have full digital access.

Already a CT subscriber?

chair

In summation, there is no evidence for it.

HaAretz is also a biased source. And it is a popular newspaper, to boot. This is an interesting topic, and worthy of its own thread.

Greg Jennings

HaAretz is also a biased source. And it is a popular newspaper, to boot. This is an interesting topic, and worthy of its own thread.

I agree.

Haaretz is a pro-Jewish site. It would be inclined to protect Jewish belief, not dispute it. The fact that they say that Exodus has no supporting evidence is akin to a Christian site saying that Jesus never existed. That's a big statement.

Angel4Truth's pro-Christian source also admits to there being no tangible evidence for Exodus, as you can see

Greg Jennings

Actually he only listens to biased sources... Never anything contradictory.

Lol. That's funny on its own, but hilarious when you factor in who's saying it. :rotfl:

I try to stick to scientific or university-affiliated sources. If those are unavailable I will look at both sides of a biased argument and draw my own conclusions based on the evidence from both sides. You should try either one of those methods

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Lol. That's funny on its own, but hilarious when you factor in who's saying it. :rotfl:

I try to stick to scientific or university-affiliated sources. If those are unavailable I will look at both sides of a biased argument and draw my own conclusions based on the evidence from both sides. You should try either one of those methods

Have you applied a scientific approach to this claim?:

If King David went to Jerusalem today he would be among those who speak the same language, sing the same songs and have the same holy book.

If Confucius were to appear in tinmen square today - different language and religion.

Factually, Israel ceased as a nation with a homeland for 2000 years, re entered their land still intact after virtually every continent and nation either expelled them or tried to exterminate them.

Either the devil keeps them alive or it is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob who has authenticated His very existence by keeping covenant with the Jews despite their rejection of the Jewish Messiah.

The one thing that Isis, alqueda and every Arab agrees to is their hatred of the Jews and their desire to eliminate the Jewish race. According to the God of the bible they are cursing themselves.

And brother greg, scientifically smoke this, the bible predicted two world wide regatherings of the Jews to their land the first fulfilled in 1948, the second still future as they will again flee the land from the antichrist but first a third Jewish Temple Will be up and functioning right where the Muslim Dome of the Rock sits.