ECT Our triune God

Lon

Let me come at it from a different angle. Are they co-equal? If so, how so?

I'm not sure I want to mimic that terminology.
Not only that, short answers don't work well when our main thrust, is trying to avoid stepping on this or another scripture. All truth has to remain intact.

For me: Equal yet subbordinate. My wife, for instance, is no greater or (I just realized I type phonetically. Weird "er" from greater and "or" blended that I missed the latter and had to pick it up in correction - meh back on topic) less in our household, nor is that simply a token lip-service to her as the 'weaker.'
"I and the Father are One. How can you say 'Show us the Father?'"
and
"Not My will but Thine."

My wife isn't inherently subbordinate to me. She chooses to be, just as I also choose to subbordinate at times to her wisdom and stronger gifts/abilities.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
:wazzup:

Do you deny being a "Oneness Pentecostalist"

I'm not; haven't ever been; nor ever will be... Oneness Pentecostal.

or at least sympathetic to their teachings?

I'm sympathetic to the Monohypostatic portion of their teachings, though opposed to the Sequential or Manifestational portion of their teachings. The Father is not the Son.

I have a number of friends and acquaintances that are UPC. I'm more concerned about their borderline works soteriology than their Theology Proper and/or Christology.

He does not sound Oneness, but trinitarian with a bee in the bonnet about some philosophical nuances about trinitarianism.

They're not philosophical nuances. I'm not a Dyohypostatic Trinitarian at all. I make no bones about it. And the DyoHypoTrin doctrine has gradually morphed into Triadism.

If someone believes that the three alleged hypostases ("persons") have individuated sentient consciousness (minds/wills), they're a Triadist rather than an O/orthodox Trinitarian.

The only distinct mind from the ousia (essence) of God was the mind of the rational soul of the Incarnate Logos. That's Creedal Trinity doctrine. Most have a mordern conceptualization according to an English meaning of the term "person/s". I'm closer to the original Trinity doctrine, even being Monohypostatic.

NOT.

Be assured, this one is NOT a Trinitarian.

I've never pretended to be a Trinitarian in the same sense you (as a Triadist) are, or according to ANY Dyohypostatic formula. But I don't have an immanent and impotent God who couldn't and didn't create ALL, either. That would be the Dyohypostatic Trinitarians and their modern diluted Triadist cousins.

Nor a confessing, scriptural, orthodox Christian . . .

I'm certainly a confessing, scriptural, orthodox (right-teaching) Christian. The Triadists (like you) unwittingly masquerading as Trinitarians may or may not be. I don't judge hearts.

Have a wonderful and blessed weekend, in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. :)

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
I know you may want me to just skip all this and proceed with later posts, but I want to address some of this to contextualize my position on other views of Theology Proper versus salvation, etc.

There is again, friendly banter. It seemed fun and is about half of this repost. I left it in though the length is unruly. I'm not sure if good-natured humor is a good reason for unruly length. Anybody reading along can sue me if not humored :( Ignore and cut any superflous as you are able and inclined.

We rough-housed a lot growing up. It is probably dysfunctional.

What I thought would be just another egomaniacal indoctrinate butting heads with me has actually turned into a potentially high quality extended convo. I have great hopes for much synergy after the recent disarmament. :)

Well, buck up for meat-ball surgery then. It is really going to hurt with a butter knife, but I was thinking of the same verse and don't think that one is ever dull. Regardless, those inflamed appendices need to come out.

Ew! I just had an Origen flashback. How could you?:eek::rotfl:

Yet, I believe deity the whole burrito middle. I can eat that off a plate. To me this is like arguing that you have the tortilla and hot sauce, and cilantro.
Deity is the primary issue regarding our need of Salvation. The whole message of the cross is that 'man can't do it.'

Bear in mind by my comments, I adamantly contend for the Deity of Christ. In fact, my primary criticism of the DyoHypoTrin doctrine is that is diminshed the full Deity of Christ (but you won't yet comprehend why).

As for "man can't do it". Sinful man can't do it. No Pelagianism allowed, even by degree. Man cannot effect salvation. But...... The Socinian groups (Unitarians and Christadelphians) aren't repesenting Jesus as a man in the sense the Ebionites have/do. The conception was a divine creative act by God through His Holy Spirit. Many will speculate it to be a created spermatozoa. Others won't dare speculate. All insist it was a miraculous conception by none other than God Himself; and that it was the conception of a sinless man.

I don't think that inherently leaves them outside the faith any more than a more correct view would include them in the faith. I've heard virtually every nuance of every argument related to the Deity of Christ on either side. I just don't think it's the pivotal point of salvific faith. I was lost as a DyoHypoTrin raised under the pew. It's about whether the heart hears the Rhema for faith. It's other compounded Unitarian doctrines that push them further from the threshhold. (And I'm never speaking of American Universalist New Age Unis when I refer to Unitarians.)

So when I say they're potentially eligible for salvific faith, I'm not automatically including them. I'm saying it's an individual heart issue. That's not the case with other Sects that have formulated doctrines of God that are beyond this line.

To then make Christ a man is horrendous. It, imo (and nearly every one else's), is a deal-breaker. That might hurt to hear, but this is 'why' at least. I'd love Freakazoid Universalism, if scripture would allow it. A line, I believe, must be drawn and you agree but the problem is what we believe constitutes Christianity at this point. I believe Jesus as nothing but a created man humanistic-more-of the same that got us into sin in the first place. It is no good news.

And I know how much they abhor the validly-criticized errors of the DyoHypoTrin doctrine. They won't accept the "how" for the Deity of Christ because DyoHypoTrin is unbiblical. They're not going to be persuaded by conflict. I've effectively ministered to many of them, and they often have their eyes opened when the truth is revealed (which is MonoHypoTrin).

Worse. I'm with you that at least modalists I can talk to. They aren't completely destroying the message of redemption. I don't believe you can have redemption without deity. Everything, everthing, everything from Genesis to Malachi and Matthew to Revelation points to our extreme need of 'divine' intervention:

In the Unitarian view, there IS divine intervention. God created a sinless man. They consider that to be divine intervention. They're not promoting another YHWH or another Jesus. They're challenging that he's ontologically divine rather than divine by identity and representation. I don't automatically exclude OR include them; just as I don't automatically exclude OR include Dyohypostatic Trinitarians in the faith. It's a heart by heart issue, not a knowledge of doctrine issue.

How many children of either faith can comprehend either one? How many professing (alleged) Trinitarians have anything more than a nebulous cursory minimal comprehension of their own creedal doctrine? Few, in my experience.

The man Jesus Christ as to 'relational,' yes, but without Deity is a complete wash of first, prophecy where it all counts for not, and second, a complete disregard of very clear revelation in the NT, especially when it brings up those OT fulfillments. Conceptually, like arguing a tortilla, onions, cilantro, and hot sauce, can constitute a burrito, I'd say okay "conceptually." But, if one denies the middle exists, we really don't have a burrito, other than 'conceptually.' = "If one has not the Son, one has not life (Christianity)."

I understand everything you've said. I've said everything you've said at one time or another. I can't hold that position regarding others' salvation. There's a perimeter for eligible belief. It isn't exclusively DyoHypoTrin doctrine, and it can't include LDS, JW, and others. But those who are wrestling with the true monotheistic JHWH while presenting another Christology based on mistaking the conception for a creative act, I can't dismiss out of hand as unsaved.

This is not the all magical answer to this dilemma.

Agreed.

Modalists and Arians are monohypostatic too.

And neither is further or closer to the truth than the DyoHypoTrin doctrine. I haven't yet unveiled the central truth that ALL views have omitted, but it leaves everyone scrambling. Most just engage full cognitive dissonance and maintain their predetermined subjective beliefs.

It is okay to say a burrito has to have a sauce, outer shell, and middle, but if it isn't "Deity" in this case, we aren't talking about Christianity/orthodoxy.

O/orthodoxy is heterodox. Now what? There aren't multiple hypostases for God in scripture. A hypostasis isn't a "person", either. The burrito has donkey meat. Now what?

You aren't aware of it yet, but the DyoHypoTrin doctrine represents an immanent and impotent God who couldn't and didn't create ALL. (But so do all the other historical formulations.) I'll get to that.

So yes to the concept, no to all contenders, for me. I don't believe this is the right line or circle to draw. If you have bad karma with a triune church, I can see the knee-jerk here but when you choose to remain in the triune camp, I don't think even you can live with this incorrect category. It doesn't hold true because it includes cults.

"Cult" is another term that is tossed around a lot. All sectarian belief systems are "cults", technically. And I'm grudgingly Trinitarian, but have adapted the Monohypostatic label to distinguish. Too many idjuts continuously spewed ad hominem that I was a Modalist. I'm clearly not a Modalist to any degree.

Why? Because you have to then allow Muhammed and Joseph Smith up there on your list of 'acceptable.'

Ummm... nope, not even close. The Muslim faith is Henotheistic, regardless what many mask their faith to be. Allah is not YHWH.

The LDSers have cunningly positioned themselves, but their God is not YHWH, either. The LDS god is an imaginary diety. They're not worshipping YHWH as a whole.

The JWs present a created angel who became a man. And there are many other abherant sub-doctrines, just like the LDS.

The key distinction is whether there was a divine conception by YHWH. And I'd certainly leave room for maturity of age and spiritual growth for those with wrong Christology. Goodness, many professing Trinitarians are either Modalists or Triadists by default of their own descriptions of the Trinity. Water-Ice-Steam equals Modalism. Multiple minds/wills equals Triadism.

"Your" line doesn't disclude them

My line indeed excludes the Muslims, LDS, and JWs. But even some of them may have salvific faith. I don't know the bounds of God's grace and mercy at this point.

and now we have a totally different way of obtaining salvation and it is back to placing hope in man, not deity, including Christ in their eyes.

Not necessarily. That's your perspective. But you have an erroneous doctrine, too. You just presume you don't. :)

[qutoe]Imho, you have got to change and capitulate with other trinitarians. I don't see a way out of it.[/quote]

Nope. I don't engage in the dialectic for the consensus of men. I only adhere to the didactic of God by His Word and His Spirit. I will not capitulate to other Trinitarians, especially when they're professing DyoHypos. God isn't three hypostases.

Yep. Muhammed and Joseph Smith as well.

Nope.:eek:

I think that's exactly where 'your' line goes and allows. It is forcing 'you' to be arbitrary, imho. It isn't consistent to allow Arians in your camp and then oust a JW or Mormon, or any of the other heresy concerns.

Sure it is. And I'm not including them on any wholesale basis and endorsing Arian doctrine. But a created celestial Son being Incarnate as Theanthropos isn't even remotely the same error of a created angel becoming a non-divine man. Nor is it the same degree of error as a Polytheistic non-YHWH with opportunity for man to become divine as well. Huge differences.

Er, Joseph Smith claims "Son of God" too.

I'm not talking about jargon and labels. I'm referring to entire doctrines. LDS doctrine doesn't include YHWH. Again, some individuals might have salvific faith, but it would be in spite of the doctrine rather than because of it.

Your line, imo, is faulty and wrong.

Great. You've drawn your line. It's not mine.

Whatever hang-up, with whatever church, I think must/needs to be reconcilled.

I don't know why you presume my entire stance on Theology Proper is somehow in vengeful retaliation to some church or denomination.

Your line, I believe, must exist within the triune framework to remain triune yourself (I believe triune more accurate than 'trinity' btw).

What? You can't draw those lines for me. And I don't forfeit my position just because I don't inherently exclude certain other en masse. I make no attempt to draw them for you or demand you acquiesce to mine. All I've done is delineate a summary of my reasoning. And I'm not triune in any sense that you are, really. I don't mistake the heavenly-immanent realm for transcendence. But we'll get to that.

Of course, that's why the pitfalls are all heresies and to be avoided.

Back briefly to a point you made several times earlier. The Trinity doctrine is NOT just apophatic to avoid alleged heresies. The Trinity doctrine is explicitly cataphatic. It declares exactly the position on God's constitution.

I'm not O/orthodox in that regard, and I don't give a rip. I stand for the truth of scripture regardles of the errors of men's doctrine. Nobody will stand in judgment for me but me. I don't leave Theology Proper for others to decide for me. I did it for 35 years, and I won't ever do it again.

For me, Modalists are wrong too. We can throw them in a room with polytheists and watch them go crazy and wondering 'what bible' the other one is reading. Each totally neglects the opposite verses in scripture from one another. Together they'd have one whole bible between them.

The Modalists are really no further from the truth than DyoHypoTrins. It's a Pick 'Em for me. Usually, I'll take a good Oneness believer over an indoctrinated and ideologized modern Triadist that doesn't know they're not a Creedal Trinitarian.

Tri- -une means some aspect of three and some aspect of one to God as He reveals Himself to us. It is important when discussing the aspect of three, that deity is intact.

I agree. Unitarians, Arians, and Sabellians don't accept the bogus "how" of the term triune, though. That's because of the error of DyoHypoTrin doctrine. I can't blame them.

After that if you are sloppy, I'm not going to get slappy, but again, for me, this part is essential to maintain an intact meaningful gospel and Bible. I believe it has to be at least this much.

Okay. And I do not. I accept your position. I was already aware of it. It doesn't and won't change mine. I haven't come to my position lightly or casually.

That's like saying there is no believer who believed Jesus came in the flesh, against Docetism, before 1 John 4:2 to me.

LOL. Not at all. Seriously? You so phunny. :eek:

Rather, some things aren't 'express' until the need to correct heresy but that doesn't mean the 'implicit/explicit' idea is not there.

I don't really want to engage in a semantics war. We evidently view explicit versus implicit differently, just as we don't agree on exegesis versus eisegesis. Maybe that will be resolved, but it currently isn't.

Such isn't good scholasticism imo. It just doesn't hold historically accurate water. The 'sentiment' is easily found prior to a need to address arianism, for instance. Such should not be missed. It in no way means the church wasn't triune prior. That's a ridiculous untenuable statement and sentiment that arians throw around on here and it is horrible and shoddy work and patently false.

We can get into the history, but few are as well-read as I have intentionally become. The first hints of Trinity emerged in the 160s to 180s AD, with the first real usage of the terms "persona" and "trinitas" in the early 200s AD.

It would be more accurate to insist that the majority of the Ante-Nicene authors of any significance almost assuredly supported the Deity of Christ and that F/S/HS were all God in some manner.

You don't get 'triune' all of the sudden, just because someone doesn't like arians at a 2nd century council.

No, it didn't happen suddenly. But the first Ecumenical Council wasn't in the 2nd century, it was in 325AD. There's quite a span from the ascension of Christ and Pentecost (circa 27-29AD) to the 160sAD; and from the 160sAD to the Nicene Council 160-ish years later.

That's really horrible logic. It doesn't and didn't happen that way.

Yes, but not misconstrued. Rather, there was, at that time, no need to be as exacting. Arians weren't punching the walls at the time.

Origen died about the time Arius was born. But the war was waging long before Arius was born, and he wasn't the originator of the doctrine of a created celestial Son who was homioousios with the Father rather than homoousios. He was just the emergent vital proponent.

Yep, to Modalist's chagrin.

More so to the Dynamic Modalist Monarchians than the Sequential Modalist Patripassians and Sabellians, I'd say. And Tertullian was a Subordinationist Semi-Arian who later became a Montanist. I love his writings, though.

Incidental rather than derivative and connective, imo. I try and separate my civil and humane conscience, from imposing upon a prior generation's. They just were not as conscious or conscientiously developed, Christian or otherwise. Shoot, our kids are going to think we are barbarians for a few things, including abortion, I believe. Hopefully the volumes of internet information will allow them to more easily assess the reality of this at that time. Who knows, maybe some Christian kids will read our discussion here and and go

Okay. I don't separate them, necessarily.

Agreed. It isn't always but when they are militant against His deity, there is a significant problem.

No more so than being militant that there are three "persons" because of personal pronouns, etc. Especially for all the modern Triadists that aren't actual Trinitarians.

There are actually a few on here that aren't militant and I appreciate those arians. It puts me in the arrogant position again, but this is a serious issue for me and 'arrogance' isn't what I'm on about. It isn't my ego that is actually getting in the way....

It's lack of awareness of one central truth that changes everything if it's understood.

Well, perhaps if you are only getting on the term 'trinity' but the ideas it encapsulates, I believe, are both.

I know you do.

Again, I believe it simply was unecessary to be so precise until the heresies.

There's a degree of truth in that; but you dismiss any possibility that the DyoHypoTrin view has any real error itself.

I don't have to sit you down and explain detailed and clearly what I believe as much as when someone is trying to lead you away from a truth. Such, then, necessitates that I do so. This, I believe, is what a perusal of ECF's tells us.

Meh. I don't wholly agree, but it's not the central content. I'll just move on for now.

It does seem to have stopped the practice of naming your kids Apollinarus, and Nestorius...

I don't know a whole lot of parents naming their kids Cyril, either. Or Athanaius or Clement or Augustine. :rotfl:

The problem is/was not so much the speculation of ideas of explaining scripture truths. The problem is when those ideas lend to discount or trampling other scripture truths.

Oh. Like making the express image OF God's hypostasis an additional hypostasis, with a third manufactured to round out the trio inferred from personal pronouns that also refer to the singular of Theos? LOL.

I am always trying to come up with ideas and models that explain the deity and humanity of Christ in a manner that honors scripture.

For the DyoHypoTrin doctrine, the Cyrillian does that. You won't improve that. There just aren't multiple hypostases, so it doesn't matter.

If you say "that's heresy" what you are telling me is the idea doesn't line up with all of scripture. That's fine. It is when I become unteachable and try to force the idea that I become a heretic.

There ya go. Good example. Well said.

I never want to be a leader or follower of such mule-headed stubborness. If my concept formed from scripture doesn't embrace the whole, go ahead and broaded my understanding.

Give me some time and you won't be a DyoHypoTrin. Nobody who has ever sat down with me personally or sat under my teaching has ever remained a DyoHypoTrin. It's not possible once you understand the central missing truth apart from massive cognitive dissonance.

I'm teaching a group of Pastors right now in a small group, and each one of them are abandoning the DyoHypo view for the truth. Once I frame it up, it's over.

At the same time, because this issue has ever been hammered upon throughout these past centuries, I don't think our terms created in a void.

Exactly. They were created by the dialectic consensus of men to portray a preconceived concept. I think it was the best they could do. But they missed the one foundational truth that changes everything.

That said, latching onto any one idea, can land any one of us into heretical bins.

Boy, that was a mouthful. :)

There are heretic pitfalls all over the place I personally want to avoid. As such, I've been called at least heterodox for bad analogy concerning Triune expressions. I don't "wan't" to be heterodox so begin reworking what doesn't favor one particular heresy, which in turn, tramples some scriptural aspect of God's expression in Christ. I want to honor and glorify Him as much or more and not detract or turn eyes from Him.

You'd probably like to correctly represent God as having created ALL, then. The DyoHypoTrin God couldn't and didn't. Eek!

Understood (I think).

Not sure if I understand the main point here with 'omitting central fixture' or 'metaphysical crumbs.'

With the DyoHypoTrin doctrine and ALL other historical God-models, there's something God didn't create. It shifts the entire foundation. We'll get to it.

Er, as I said, we rough-housed quite a bit growing up. I'm likely dysfunctional between care and abuse so don't use me for any kind of reference point other than figuring out just how dysfunctional or functional I may or may not be (and you are certainly welcome to that).

I think sentiments are safely echoed here between us. It doesn't have to be salvific, but it often is. That'd be how I'd do a sloppy-line for the moment. My line isn't to exclude so much as to say eventually this issue has to be crossed for everyone involved in a cult-heresy. One can be mistaken about how they are saved, but if their view of salvation leads to a self-imposed lifting of one's own bootstraps and Jesus Christ being a 'good example,' of getting there, they are in trouble.

Okay.

Truncated from here. If I missed something pertinent in favor of inane, a slap will suffice.

No slappage. This seems to be going much better than I ever imagined. Very fruitful, IMHO.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
:up:
I think too, when I said we'd argue mostly over Exegesis vs Eisegesis, such may be still true, but only inasmuch as it relates to a triune view, not so much as it relates to the topic of your concern. For that, I'm in agreement (I think).

Well... I still don't see how reading two additional hypostases INTO the text is exegesis rather than eisegesis, but maybe we'll get to that at some point.

Hey... I know. You could present where three hypostases are in the text. That would be exegesis and then I'd be mistaken. :):drum::wave::eek:

It seems to me, you are in good company among trinitarians. Not many of us can actually discuss the fine points (not even sure if I'm always up to par, but I try). I think this post makes it pretty clear to me.

At least you're not calling me a Modalist after posting my affirmations. That's happened several times before. I just sigh. Seriously? No Modalist would ever agree with my affirmations. LOL.

In Him, Lon

P.S. I'd suggest going from here rather than backtracking.

Too late. (See previous post.):wave:

This looks like a good post to me. The concern from the other posts, is how specifically, such language manages to avoid the other heresy pitfalls like modalism, etc.

When I'm done, your noodle will be baked. You've never considered this, I guarantee. Nobody has.

After that, I'm yet concerned on the unitarain inclusion among others. For me, all heresies need to be avoided, but I think I'm appreciating where you are coming from at least negligably better from this post.

I'm not inherently and universally including anyone. It's an individual heart issue, and everyone has a wrong view. I've just drawn the line beyond the Deity of Christ for some very good reasons.

TOL still needs, imho, a Triune Battle Royale.

After I jack up the whole thing and slide the core truth underneath, it'll be O-V-E-R.

As a teaser... Is anything or anyone besides God UNcreated? IOW... Is God alone UNcreated?

Back to you.............

Lon

I know you may want me to just skip all this and proceed with later posts, but I want to address some of this to contextualize my position on other views of Theology Proper versus salvation, etc.
I was afraid of that. I'll keep trimming....where is my butter knife....

Bear in mind by my comments, I adamantly contend for the Deity of Christ. In fact, my primary criticism of the DyoHypoTrin doctrine is that is diminshed the full Deity of Christ (but you won't yet comprehend why).
Understood. Such must be explained and thus patience is necessary, whether I have it or not.
The danger ever was/is modalism/polytheism. In a strange way, the JW is both and the Arian is nearly similar with just a human created somehow with divine properties. I do understand and have discussed the triune expressions and shortcomings prior to you and I doing so here.

As for "man can't do it". Sinful man can't do it. No Pelagianism allowed, even by degree. Man cannot effect salvation. But...... The Socinian groups (Unitarians and Christadelphians) aren't repesenting Jesus as a man in the sense the Ebionites have/do. The conception was a divine creative act by God through His Holy Spirit. Many will speculate it to be a created spermatozoa. Others won't dare speculate. All insist it was a miraculous conception by none other than God Himself; and that it was the conception of a sinless man.
I'm a monergist, just saying.

I don't think that inherently leaves them outside the faith any more than a more correct view would include them in the faith. I've heard virtually every nuance of every argument related to the Deity of Christ on either side. I just don't think it's the pivotal point of salvific faith. I was lost as a DyoHypoTrin raised under the pew. It's about whether the heart hears the Rhema for faith. It's other compounded Unitarian doctrines that push them further from the threshhold. (And I'm never speaking of American Universalist New Age Unis when I refer to Unitarians.)
So when I say they're potentially eligible for salvific faith, I'm not automatically including them. I'm saying it's an individual heart issue. That's not the case with other Sects that have formulated doctrines of God that are beyond this line.
I didn't say my rings, lines and circles of separation are better because most of us agree it doesn't inherently leave them out.

And I know how much they abhor the validly-criticized errors of the DyoHypoTrin doctrine. They won't accept the "how" for the Deity of Christ because DyoHypoTrin is unbiblical. They're not going to be persuaded by conflict. I've effectively ministered to many of them, and they often have their eyes opened when the truth is revealed (which is MonoHypoTrin).

In the Unitarian view, there IS divine intervention. God created a sinless man. They consider that to be divine intervention. They're not promoting another YHWH or another Jesus. They're challenging that he's ontologically divine rather than divine by identity and representation. I don't automatically exclude OR include them; just as I don't automatically exclude OR include Dyohypostatic Trinitarians in the faith. It's a heart by heart issue, not a knowledge of doctrine issue.

How many children of either faith can comprehend either one? How many professing (alleged) Trinitarians have anything more than a nebulous cursory minimal comprehension of their own creedal doctrine? Few, in my experience.

I understand everything you've said. I've said everything you've said at one time or another. I can't hold that position regarding others' salvation. There's a perimeter for eligible belief. It isn't exclusively DyoHypoTrin doctrine, and it can't include LDS, JW, and others. But those who are wrestling with the true monotheistic JHWH while presenting another Christology based on mistaking the conception for a creative act, I can't dismiss out of hand as unsaved.

And neither is further or closer to the truth than the DyoHypoTrin doctrine. I haven't yet unveiled the central truth that ALL views have omitted, but it leaves everyone scrambling. Most just engage full cognitive dissonance and maintain their predetermined subjective beliefs.

O/orthodoxy is heterodox. Now what? There aren't multiple hypostases for God in scripture. A hypostasis isn't a "person", either. The burrito has donkey meat. Now what?
Right, we are trying to answer the question: what signifies (doctrinally/practically) a saved being?

You aren't aware of it yet, but the DyoHypoTrin doctrine represents an immanent and impotent God who couldn't and didn't create ALL. (But so do all the other historical formulations.) I'll get to that.

"Cult" is another term that is tossed around a lot. All sectarian belief systems are "cults", technically. And I'm grudgingly Trinitarian, but have adapted the Monohypostatic label to distinguish. Too many idjuts continuously spewed ad hominem that I was a Modalist. I'm clearly not a Modalist to any degree.

Ummm... nope, not even close. The Muslim faith is Henotheistic, regardless what many mask their faith to be. Allah is not YHWH.

The LDSers have cunningly positioned themselves, but their God is not YHWH, either. The LDS god is an imaginary diety. They're not worshipping YHWH as a whole.

The JWs present a created angel who became a man. And there are many other abherant sub-doctrines, just like the LDS.

The key distinction is whether there was a divine conception by YHWH. And I'd certainly leave room for maturity of age and spiritual growth for those with wrong Christology. Goodness, many professing Trinitarians are either Modalists or Triadists by default of their own descriptions of the Trinity. Water-Ice-Steam equals Modalism. Multiple minds/wills equals Triadism.

My line indeed excludes the Muslims, LDS, and JWs. But even some of them may have salvific faith. I don't know the bounds of God's grace and mercy at this point.
"Show your work" is where I'm at. A number of these questions aren't so much as challenges, as they are inquiries how you got there and what you are presenting, in more detail.

Not necessarily. That's your perspective. But you have an erroneous doctrine, too. You just presume you don't.

Nope. I don't engage in the dialectic for the consensus of men. I only adhere to the didactic of God by His Word and His Spirit. I will not capitulate to other Trinitarians, especially when they're professing DyoHypos. God isn't three hypostases.
You are bit different than Martin Luther then. He wanted to do both.

Sure it is. And I'm not including them on any wholesale basis and endorsing Arian doctrine. But a created celestial Son being Incarnate as Theanthropos isn't even remotely the same error of a created angel becoming a non-divine man. Nor is it the same degree of error as a Polytheistic non-YHWH with opportunity for man to become divine as well. Huge differences.

I'm not talking about jargon and labels. I'm referring to entire doctrines. LDS doctrine doesn't include YHWH. Again, some individuals might have salvific faith, but it would be in spite of the doctrine rather than because of it.

Great. You've drawn your line. It's not mine.

I don't know why you presume my entire stance on Theology Proper is somehow in vengeful retaliation to some church or denomination.
Its the whole 'nothing is done in a vacuum' expectation.

What? You can't draw those lines for me. And I don't forfeit my position just because I don't inherently exclude certain other en masse. I make no attempt to draw them for you or demand you acquiesce to mine. All I've done is delineate a summary of my reasoning. And I'm not triune in any sense that you are, really. I don't mistake the heavenly-immanent realm for transcendence. But we'll get to that.
Not the point, but rather to be 'recognized' triune, is where I was headed. If they,we,I are not your target audience, then there is no need to acquiesce the point. I wasn't shooting for 'ultimatum' but rather drawing interest from other triunists.

Back briefly to a point you made several times earlier. The Trinity doctrine is NOT just apophatic to avoid alleged heresies. The Trinity doctrine is explicitly cataphatic. It declares exactly the position on God's constitution.
Not for me so much. It is more the former other then with how I draw lines from it to avoid heresy.

I'm not O/orthodox in that regard, and I don't give a rip. I stand for the truth of scripture regardles of the errors of men's doctrine. Nobody will stand in judgment for me but me. I don't leave Theology Proper for others to decide for me. I did it for 35 years, and I won't ever do it again.
I do give a rip, it is more apophatic from my concerns.

The Modalists are really no further from the truth than DyoHypoTrins. It's a Pick 'Em for me. Usually, I'll take a good Oneness believer over an indoctrinated and ideologized modern Triadist that doesn't know they're not a Creedal Trinitarian.
So does that mean you are closer in doctrine, to Creedal Trinitarianism, in your mind/assessment? Are you concerned, I guess I'm asking, with reform here?

LOL. Not at all. Seriously? You so phunny. :eek:
Just because an idea isn't detailed and explained, does not mean the ECF's didn't believe it. There are any number of doctrines I believe that I won't express specifically because scriputure already expresses them quite well. The reason I have to state I'm 'triune' is specifically because of need of correction. Without that, the scriptures continue to suffice (even with it, but that's what we do when facing damage to a scriptural tenent).

I don't really want to engage in a semantics war. We evidently view explicit versus implicit differently, just as we don't agree on exegesis versus eisegesis. Maybe that will be resolved, but it currently isn't.
We can get into the history, but few are as well-read as I have intentionally become. The first hints of Trinity emerged in the 160s to 180s AD, with the first real usage of the terms "persona" and "trinitas" in the early 200s AD.

It would be more accurate to insist that the majority of the Ante-Nicene authors of any significance almost assuredly supported the Deity of Christ and that F/S/HS were all God in some manner.
We will probably continue to disagree here, but I believe, as stated in the flow of this conversation, that heresy demands expressions be said in differing words. Why? Because the idea scripture presents is being maligned or departing from. For instance, on TOL, Unitarians have argued John 1:1 is talking about an idea, rather than Jesus. Why must it be Jesus? Well, for one, the Greek uses the personal pronoun in the ensuing verse. "It" didn't becomes flesh and dwell among us (nor could it). Because such is an impossible rendering, we must use more words and description. It isn't that I didn't always believe the Word was Jesus, it just was that I 'assumed' everybody else did too. The thought hadn't even entered my mind to write my thoughts down that the Word has to be Jesus. It's a gospel! Equally, I believe John 20:28 leaves no doubt that Jesus is Lord and God. Such is scripturally express[ed] and exegetical, not eisegetical. If it were eisegetical, you have room for another view. I do not believe context or sentence structure allows for these others, therefore the conveyance of the text is most certainly exegetical. We'd probably have to do Bible study and language to prove the point and it would be, I agree, long and tedious (but certainly no waste of time, just a dedication to both time and effort for such discussion - I do have a One-on-One regarding exegesis on TOL though for reference).

I know you do.
Er, calling yourself 'triune' you must too....

There's a degree of truth in that; but you dismiss any possibility that the DyoHypoTrin view has any real error itself.
When? I'm the one who agreed that 'person' was inadequate, remember?

I don't know a whole lot of parents naming their kids Cyril, either. Or Athanaius or Clement or Augustine. :rotfl:
Careful! I've met a Cyril and we have a Clete on TOL, which looks like a....well, like an athletic shoe, but somewhat like a Clement as well.

Oh. Like making the express image OF God's hypostasis an additional hypostasis, with a third manufactured to round out the trio inferred from personal pronouns that also refer to the singular of Theos? LOL.
I'm not getting the inside joke. I'd say 'yes' but perhaps missing inference.

You'd probably like to correctly represent God as having created ALL, then. The DyoHypoTrin God couldn't and didn't. Eek!
I've been reading here, at the moment.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
I was afraid of that. I'll keep trimming....where is my butter knife....

Visions of Origen still swimming in me wee wittle bwain. Arrggghhh!
:eek::crackup::rotfl:

Understood. Such must be explained and thus patience is necessary, whether I have it or not.

True dat. You'll see why very soon.

The danger ever was/is modalism/polytheism. In a strange way, the JW is both and the Arian is nearly similar with just a human created somehow with divine properties. I do understand and have discussed the triune expressions and shortcomings prior to you and I doing so here.

Yes, this is becoming a quality exchange. I had no idea you were so inclined to pursue the truth beyond possible deficiencies of adamant doctrine. Kudos. It's rare.

When teaching live, I generally have to reserve my stance on Theology Proper for several sessions until the annointing and content has established credibility, etc. Online, I don't get the opportunity to build that foundational trust and frame everything up by spending time conveying an intricate exegesis of what the Didaskalos (Teacher) is and does.

I'm a monergist, just saying.

I'm majority reformed in many senses; but just as with virtually every doctrine with conflicting extremes, I contend Calvinism/Arminianism is a reconcilable false dichotomy. It's all in the Rhema. I can reconcile all the views to the truth.

That's the position I take on virtually all conflicting major doctrines. There can't be multiple objective absolute truths. Only one truth must emerge that reconciles and disannuls both. Monergisma and Synergism, by whatever name and to whatever degree, MUST each be reconciled to the truth.

I didn't say my rings, lines and circles of separation are better because most of us agree it doesn't inherently leave them out.

I'd say you're uniquely open to searching for truth beyond dogma's prescribed "box". That's a good thing, led by the Spirit.

Right, we are trying to answer the question: what signifies (doctrinally/practically) a saved being?

Right. I default to John 17:3 in a way that others never seem to comprehend until I present it. "And this is life eternal, that they might [know - gnosis; present and fragmentary aquired experiential knowledge] thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."

Scripture doesn't required one to [know - epignosis; clear and exact acquired experiential knowledge], so the key is the "what" of YHWH and His Son rather than the "how". In this regard, several formulated doctrines within a perimeter can either be salvific or non-salvific. All historical God-models share the same central omission of presumed Cosmogony. So I draw the formal doctrine lines in pencil and save the ink for individual hearts withing those boundaries.

I simply know too many Unitarians who have seen and believed in the Deity of Christ at a later date from my teaching efforts, and about 40% of them indicated it wasn't a salvific difference. So I don't convese with or minister to Unitarians with the presumption they're lost.

Instead of arguing and anathematizing, I thoroughly explain the truth of the "how" of Christ's ontological Deity. Most of them just stand there with their mouths open for a minute when I'm finished. The truth does that. I demonstrate it from the Cosmogonical standpoint of correcting ALL historical views via reconciliation.

To a degree, I'm functionally and descriptively a Unitarian with a Divine Christ. That gets their attention, especially when I agree with them about their criticisms of DyoHypoTrin doctrine and attitude. I just ask if they'd like me to demonstrate from scripture that the Logos is Divine and more than they've concluded; while stating that it's not what the Creedal Trinity doctrine has accounted for by depicting the eternal Logos as an eternally-distinct "person".

"Show your work" is where I'm at.

I'm gettin' there. But I like to frame things up with a number of apophatic and cataphatic affirmations to narrow the field. It keeps others within the boundaries of semantics because nobody has EVER considered the MonoHypoTrin view I've considered.

I truly wish I'd been alive in the immediate Ante-Nicene period. If so, there would never have been the nearly the degree of conflict that nearly ripped the Church apart over Theology Proper. I would've put them all on the trailer with one simple exegetical delineation.

A number of these questions aren't so much as challenges, as they are inquiries how you got there and what you are presenting, in more detail.

I'm realizing that, and it's a refreshing change from all the "PPS, you're a Modalist and we all hate you and you're bound for hell and, and, and..."

You are bit different than Martin Luther then. He wanted to do both.

Once I introduce the correcting factor, I DO capitulate with others. But until they're corrected on the foundation, DyoHypoTrins don't have much to offer in this regard. And yes, I'm different than Martin Luther. Though I appreciate his efforts in exposing the Indulgences, etc., he missed the opportunity to correct Theology Proper, along with his cohorts. In his Institutes, John Calvin clearly illustrates the inferred nature of O/ortho Trinity doctrine. I'll recite it if you'd like.

Its the whole 'nothing is done in a vacuum' expectation.

It's a bit hard to collaborate with the overwhelming majority of DyoHypostatic Trinitarians. Most are prone to severe cognitive dissonance. Most have quite a sense of adversarial and condescending entitlement from the historical status of DyoHypoTrin doctrine.

It's the default standard without question. And yet... few can cogently converse with me on the finer points. It usually turns into a anathematizing session from them when they approach the precipice of their understanding and expression. So I'm not very disarming initially, as you recall. Though I'm exponentially milder than in previous years.

Not the point, but rather to be 'recognized' triune, is where I was headed.

If/when others step out of their bubble with my live teaching, they recognize the authority and importance of God's calling and ministry in me through His office/role of Didaskalos in me. In live circles, nobody challenges me after just a few sessions of teaching. It's life-changing.

And it's far-reaching. One of the current Pastors in the small group I'm teaching was an Open Theist, and prettty adamantly so. In ten minutes, I began correcting that now-rampantly emerging silliness along with Theology Proper. After three teaching sessions, he's now neither a DyoHypoTrin nor an Open Theist, and is deferring his Master's Degree study to have private teaching sessions from the biblical languages.

If they,we,I are not your target audience, then there is no need to acquiesce the point. I wasn't shooting for 'ultimatum' but rather drawing interest from other triunists.

Okay, I get that now. But there isn't a great track-record for DyoHypoTrins entertaining any error in their doctrine. And the more familiar they become with the details, the more adamant they become.

Not for me so much. It is more the former other then with how I draw lines from it to avoid heresy.

But that's your practice, not the Creedal content and intent. The Athanasian is particularly explicit. And incorrect. I affirm the Nicene. But so can Modalists. That's why there was a Constantinopolitan.

I do give a rip, it is more apophatic from my concerns.

Okay. It's still inherently extremely cataphatic, and intentionally so. I appreciate your position more than most. The apophatic is quite useful and preferable in many ways. Few know the difference, even if they practice them to varying degrees. It's seldom an intentional cognitive process.

So does that mean you are closer in doctrine, to Creedal Trinitarianism, in your mind/assessment?

Absolutely!!!! My entire intent and labor of 15 years has been to retain every sub-tenet of the original O/orthodox Trinity doctrine while accounting for the singular central omission from it and ALL other historical God-models. I've meticulously maintained every sentiment of the Ante-Nicene Fathers while correcting the error/s of the final formulation.

And I also expose that most modern professing Trinitarians are Triadists; and ideology has replaced theology via abstract concept over exegetical truth. Very few Trinitarians examine their Theology Proper beyond the inference of personal pronouns and an apparent "threeness" that trumps any "oneness". God is much more one than three, just as you and I are. Monohypostatic.

Are you concerned, I guess I'm asking, with reform here?

Yes. It's happening everywhere I teach. I'm currently compiling and editing the content for a DVD/Syllabus teaching series. I cordially correct the errors of DyoHypoTrin, but not as the central thrust of the teaching. It gets framed up with foundational truth about Cosmogony and other fundamental tenets illustrated in the text that are lost in the miasma of schism within the body. I'd contend it's more Reconstruction than Restoration or Reformation, etc.

Just because an idea isn't detailed and explained, does not mean the ECF's didn't believe it. There are any number of doctrines I believe that I won't express specifically because scriputure already expresses them quite well.

I revisit every doctrine. I dispell all the false dichotomies, while being specifically and arduously anti-Universalist. Reconcilation.

The reason I have to state I'm 'triune' is specifically because of need of correction. Without that, the scriptures continue to suffice (even with it, but that's what we do when facing damage to a scriptural tenent).

I'll begin framing up the foundation to introduce the needed correction. Perhaps you'll be the point of collaborative effort.

We will probably continue to disagree here, but I believe, as stated in the flow of this conversation, that heresy demands expressions be said in differing words. Why? Because the idea scripture presents is being maligned or departing from.

On the contrary, the DyoHypoTrin doctrine itself has done damage to the Word of God with such malignity.

For instance, on TOL, Unitarians have argued John 1:1 is talking about an idea, rather than Jesus.

The Logos in John 1:1 is exponentially more than a mere fiat of thought as an "idea", but is NOT Jesus as an individuated "person" (hypostasis).

The Philo-esque Logos does harm to John 1:1. But it all comes from a misunderstanding and ignorance of the metaphysical and the transcendent. I'll clearly and biblically illustrate that as we proceed. The Logos in John 1:1 is God's literal and actual Logos, and NOT another "person". But to comprehend what God's Logos IS, one must first know the distinction and inseparability of the Rhema and the Logos.

The common misassessment is that the Rhema is the spoken word and the Logos is the written word. That's a foundational fallacy. And that's the direction we'll have to go with this convo to clarify it all.

Why must it be Jesus? Well, for one, the Greek uses the personal pronoun in the ensuing verse.

Ruh-roh. We'll have to deal with the fallacies of self-refuting personal pronouns. Theos is a "he/him/his/himself". If personal pronouns indicate a "person", then God is only one "person". This alone is a difficult paradigm shift for most O/rtho Trins to grasp.

"It" didn't becomes flesh and dwell among us (nor could it).

Sure it did. John 1:1 is retrospective of what has already happened. The Logos had already become flesh as a "he/him". You'd do well to review the overarching meaning and application of the aorist tense in Greek. It's aspectal, offering the opportunity to, for example, view a parade from all vantage points simultaneously. God is not constrained by time/space. An accurate understanding of transcendence and eternity is vital before boxing everything up so cataphatically.

Because such is an impossible rendering, we must use more words and description. It isn't that I didn't always believe the Word was Jesus, it just was that I 'assumed' everybody else did too.
The Logos and the Son are co-terminous. There's no distinction, and the Logos was/is Divine. Therefore, the Son is Divine, but is the Logos of God, not the Father or the Spirit. No modality whatsoever.

The thought hadn't even entered my mind to write my thoughts down that the Word has to be Jesus. It's a gospel!

This is a presumption based upon formulated Theology Proper. The Son didn't become flesh. The Logos became flesh as the Son. John 1:1 says Logos for a specific reason. It was partially to decimate the docetic view, and Gnosticism in general. But it was God's literal and actual Logos that became flesh, not another "person".

Psalm 33:6. "By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth."

Question. Who is the Lord? Who's word and breath and mouth is it?

How does Psalm 33:6 reconcile with the "persons"? Which "person" is the Lord? How is the word a "person"? And if the Lord is the Son, how does He speak Himself? If the Lord is the Father, how does He speak the Son?

Just exactly how IS the Son the Logos? Especially from eternal pre-existence?

The assumption or assertion that the John 1:1 Logos is the Son is solely based upon the formulation of the DyoHypoTrin doctrine. John could quite easily have said, "In the beginning was the Son...". He didn't. Personal pronouns are another story, and the bane of truth.

Equally, I believe John 20:28 leaves no doubt that Jesus is Lord and God.

I wouldn't build a Theology Proper from there, though.

Such is scripturally express[ed] and exegetical, not eisegetical. If it were eisegetical, you have room for another view. I do not believe context or sentence structure allows for these others, therefore the conveyance of the text is most certainly exegetical.

Not in John 1:1. The text doesn't say "Son", it says "Logos". The Philo-esque Logos of DyoHypoTrin is presumed. It isn't compatible with the OT text regarding Cosmogony, etc.

Who spoke? To create... who spoke?

We'd probably have to do Bible study and language to prove the point and it would be, I agree, long and tedious (but certainly no waste of time, just a dedication to both time and effort for such discussion - I do have a One-on-One regarding exegesis on TOL though for reference).

I'm unfamiliar with that feature on TOL. Is it a thread? Or is it a feature where we can discuss directly without others posting (or reading?)?

Er, calling yourself 'triune' you must too....

Not really. I clearly make the distinction between Dyo- and Mono-, which also distinguishes from Mia-. I depend on the annointing and my teaching for credibility and commendation of the Spirit. That's different online, but it should be apparent in some manner that I'm not a novice nor a typical militant dissenter. I have the goods to back up my criticisms. I don't complain about something unless I have the solution to the problem.

When? I'm the one who agreed that 'person' was inadequate, remember?

Okay. I'm just slow to recognize what often is lip-service. I have observed your authentic desire for truth. But it's unusual. I retract my assertion. :)

Careful! I've met a Cyril and we have a Clete on TOL, which looks like a....well, like an athletic shoe, but somewhat like a Clement as well.

I'll wager you haven't ever and never will encounter an Athanasius.:salute:

I'm not getting the inside joke. I'd say 'yes' but perhaps missing inference.

It's sarcastic humor in general. There aren't three hypostases in the text. Surely that has to concern you on some level.

The express image OF a hypostasis was given the status of being another hypostasis by inference and preference. Then another hypostatis was assigned to/as the Holy Spirit just to round out the trio. It's because there was a Trinity concept that had to be formulated. Gotta get those three hypostases, even if scripture doesn't give us three. It gives us only ONE. And the express image OF a hypostasis is a prosopon. A prosopon IS a "person". The Incarnate Logos was one (a prosopon). The pre-Incarnate Logos was NOT.

I've been reading here, at the moment.

Then you've read this as the opening paragraph:
The concept of hypostasis as the shared existence of spiritual or corporal entities has been used in a number of religious and intellectual settings. The word hypostasis means underlying state or underlying substance, and is the fundamental reality that supports all else.

Do you think God is multiple "fundamental realities that support all else?" There is only one God. There is only one fundamental reality that supports all else.

And this should summarily confirm all that I've referred to:
It was mainly under the influence of the Cappadocian Fathers that the terminology was clarified and standardized, so that the formula "Three Hypostases in one Ousia" came to be accepted as an epitome of the orthodox doctrine of the Holy Trinity. This consensus, however, was not achieved without some confusion at first in the minds of "Western" theologians, who had translated hypo-stasis as "sub-stantia" (substance. See also Consubstantiality) and understood the "Eastern" Christians, when speaking of three "Hypostases" in the Godhead, to mean three "Substances," i.e. they suspected them of Tritheism. From the middle of the fourth century onwards the word came to be contrasted with ousia and used to mean "individual reality," especially in the Trinitarian and Christological contexts. The Christian view of the Trinity is often described as a view of one God existing in three distinct hypostases/personae/persons. The Latin "persona" is not the same as the English "person" but is a broader term that includes the meaning of the English "persona."

Where are these three hypostases in scripture? Bueller? Bueller? LOL.

I'll begin with Cosmogony in the next post. :)

Krsto

I have a number of friends and acquaintances that are UPC. I'm more concerned about their borderline works soteriology than their Theology Proper and/or Christology.
Not to mention their legalism (ugh).

They're not philosophical nuances. I'm not a Dyohypostatic Trinitarian at all. I make no bones about it. And the DyoHypoTrin doctrine has gradually morphed into Triadism.

If someone believes that the three alleged hypostases ("persons") have individuated sentient consciousness (minds/wills), they're a Triadist rather than an O/orthodox Trinitarian.

The only distinct mind from the ousia (essence) of God was the mind of the rational soul of the Incarnate Logos. That's Creedal Trinity doctrine. Most have a mordern conceptualization according to an English meaning of the term "person/s". I'm closer to the original Trinity doctrine, even being Monohypostatic.

What in the creeds really nails this down for a creedal trinitarian?

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Not to mention their legalism (ugh).

That's the emphasis on works.

What in the creeds really nails this down for a creedal trinitarian?

It's within the early etymologies of the term hypostasis itself, to begin. There was never any hint of individuated sentience or consciousness. It was merely for distinction of reality. They had to have some means of contrasting the three to the one. It would require an intense study of history and the Ante-Nicene writings to recognize it.

But it's partly illustrated in the Athanasian and by the Cyrilian Hypostatic Union. Jesus was determined not to be two distinct "persons" in one, but instead having a reasonable/rational human soul.

The Athanasian...
Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith. Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled; without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity; Neither confounding the Persons; nor dividing the Essence. For there is one Person of the Father; another of the Son; and another of the Holy Ghost. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, is all one; the Glory equal, the Majesty coeternal. Such as the Father is; such is the Son; and such is the Holy Ghost. The Father uncreated; the Son uncreated; and the Holy Ghost uncreated. The Father unlimited; the Son unlimited; and the Holy Ghost unlimited. The Father eternal; the Son eternal; and the Holy Ghost eternal. And yet they are not three eternals; but one eternal. As also there are not three uncreated; nor three infinites, but one uncreated; and one infinite. So likewise the Father is Almighty; the Son Almighty; and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not three Almighties; but one Almighty. So the Father is God; the Son is God; and the Holy Ghost is God. And yet they are not three Gods; but one God. So likewise the Father is Lord; the Son Lord; and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not three Lords; but one Lord. For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity; to acknowledge every Person by himself to be God and Lord; So are we forbidden by the catholic religion; to say, There are three Gods, or three Lords. The Father is made of none; neither created, nor begotten. The Son is of the Father alone; not made, nor created; but begotten. The Holy Ghost is of the Father and of the Son; neither made, nor created, nor begotten; but proceeding. So there is one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons; one Holy Ghost, not three Holy Ghosts. And in this Trinity none is before, or after another; none is greater, or less than another. But the whole three Persons are coeternal, and coequal. So that in all things, as aforesaid; the Unity in Trinity, and the Trinity in Unity, is to be worshipped. He therefore that will be saved, let him thus think of the Trinity.
Furthermore it is necessary to everlasting salvation; that he also believe faithfully the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ. For the right Faith is, that we believe and confess; that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and Man; God, of the Essence of the Father; begotten before the worlds; and Man, of the Essence of his Mother, born in the world. Perfect God; and perfect Man, of a reasonable soul and human flesh subsisting. Equal to the Father, as touching his Godhead; and inferior to the Father as touching his Manhood. Who although he is God and Man; yet he is not two, but one Christ. One; not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh; but by assumption of the Manhood by God. One altogether; not by confusion of Essence; but by unity of Person. For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man; so God and Man is one Christ; Who suffered for our salvation; descended into hell; rose again the third day from the dead. He ascended into heaven, he sitteth on the right hand of the God the Father Almighty, from whence he will come to judge the quick and the dead. At whose coming all men will rise again with their bodies; And shall give account for their own works. And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting; and they that have done evil, into everlasting fire. This is the catholic faith; which except a man believe truly and firmly, he cannot be saved.

LOL at the unyieldingly cataphatic amathematization of any who dare not believe and affirm this creed of men's dialectic consensus foisted upon all mankind for all ages, world without end, amen and glory holler-looyer.

Lon

Well... I still don't see how reading two additional hypostases INTO the text is exegesis rather than eisegesis, but maybe we'll get to that at some point.

Hey... I know. You could present where three hypostases are in the text. That would be exegesis and then I'd be mistaken. :):drum::wave::eek:
Again, you are making an assumption. I 'think' I know what you are talking about. The reason I am not a triad is because I am adamantly both 'tri- & -une.'
One way to expedite this portion of discussion would be to correct something I've said in this thread.

My prediction: You may adjust or rephrase, but will not be able to correct a thing. It doesn't prove lack of eisegesis, but it does prove we'd both be just as concered at preserving exegeis and by that means: scripture (or vise versa).

At least you're not calling me a Modalist after posting my affirmations. That's happened several times before. I just sigh. Seriously? No Modalist would ever agree with my affirmations. LOL.
My perspective at the moment: I agree we trinitarians stress and/or use language that is more tri- than -une, but not to diminish the latter. We must/necessarily believe both because scripture portrays both. For instance, I think we'd agree that the doctrine that "the Father is not the Son, is not the Holy Spirit" is negating, potentially Isaiah 9:6. Such was never intended to so. I try to avoid confusing language but that doesn't mean I'm against what this statement is trying to say. The simplistic point is that there is a given oneness (identity) and distinction(uniqueness), given in scripture. In this sense, even my own statement here includes unitarians and modalists at the moment. If we could graft a modalist and a unitarian, together, you'd have a trinitarian. Both of their main points (reasons for being separate), are actually the right points. It is rather, what they are rejecting that is heresy. It's not so much 'what they believe' as to 'what they don't believe' yet scripture is telling them to believe.

When I'm done, your noodle will be baked. You've never considered this, I guarantee. Nobody has.
I'm an Ecclesiastes 1:9 kinda thinker, but will hold reservation at this time.

I'm not inherently and universally including anyone. It's an individual heart issue, and everyone has a wrong view. I've just drawn the line beyond the Deity of Christ for some very good reasons.
I agree, but there are exceptions to rules. A guy just said yesterday that Cavlinists are not Christians on here. Most of us don't say such things and know better.

After I jack up the whole thing and slide the core truth underneath, it'll be O-V-E-R.
Ecclesiastes 1:9
As a teaser... Is anything or anyone besides God UNcreated? IOW... Is God alone UNcreated?
"No" to the first, "Yes" to the second.

Last edited:

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Again, you are making an assumption. I 'think' I know what you are talking about. The reason I am not a triad is because I am adamantly both 'tri- & -une.'
One way to expedite this portion of discussion would be to correct something I've said in this thread.

My prediction: You may adjust or rephrase, but will not be able to correct a thing. It doesn't prove lack of eisegesis, but it does prove we'd both be just as concered at preserving exegeis and by that means: scripture (or vise versa).

On the contrary, I'll be able to correct. But I don't think others intentionally engaged in eisegesis, necessarily. Inference is an appropriate hermeneutical process if implicity must be utilized in the absence of the explicit. The explicit is not absent. I can utilize ONLY what scripture gives us. That's the superior hermeneutic and rules by default.

Scripture gives us:
An "extracted" ousia for God (from exousia and eimi, etc.).
A hypostasis for God.
A prosopon for the Logos Incarnate (Son).

That's all. So that's all I utilize. It's enough. :)

My perspective at the moment: I agree we trinitarians stress and/or use language that is more tri- than -une, but not to diminish the latter.

Multiple individuated sentient consciousnesses is the modern conceptual problem. Even three hypostases don't indicate that. A hypostasis is a substantial reality. To ascribe mutliple "personalities" would be to thwart the singularity of Theotes with the multiple hypostases.

We must/necessarily believe both because scripture portrays both.

Hence why I have acquiesced to labeling myself a Trinitarian, but designating the caveat of Monohypostatic.

For instance, I think we'd agree that the doctrine that "the Father is not the Son, is not the Holy Spirit" is negating, potentially Isaiah 9:6.

No. "His NAME shall be called..." :) That doesn't indicate the Son IS the Father at all.

The Hebrew is shem (H8034); from H7760, to put, appoint, convey, bring, appoint, etc. through the idea of definite and conspicuous position. An appellation. A mark or memorial of individuality. By implication, honor, authority, character. Name, renown, report.

His apportioned and appointed conveyed position as a mark of individuality, honor, and authority of character with the implication of representing the Father by perfect proxy (though there's much more to it).

Such was never intended to so. I try to avoid confusing language but that doesn't mean I'm against what this statement is trying to say. The simplistic point is that there is a given oneness (identity) and distinction(uniqueness), given in scripture. In this sense, even my own statement here includes unitarians and modalists at the moment. If we could graft a modalist and a unitarian, together, you'd have a trinitarian. Both of their main points (reasons for being separate), are actually the right points.

Well said overall.

It is rather, what they are rejecting that is heresy. It's not so much 'what they believe' as to 'what they don't believe' yet scripture is telling them to believe.

The same is true of DyoHypoTrins, though.

I'm an Ecclesiastes 1:9 kinda thinker, but will hold reservation at this time.

I think others have tried, but to marginal avail.

I agree, but there are exceptions to rules. A guy just said yesterday that Cavlinists are not Christians on here. Most of us don't say such things and know better.

That's inane. Same for Arminians on a wholesale basis.

Ecclesiastes 1:9

Was there a DyoHypoTrin doctrine before it was new? Was there an Arian doctrine before it was new? Was there a Sabellian doctrine before it was new? Was there a Unitarian doctrine before it was new?

I'm not talking about originating something. I'm talking about assembling and reconciling, and all according to the text.

"No" to the first, "Yes" to the second.

Okay, good. Let's start there and expand bit by bit.

You have affirmed that God alone is UNcreated; and that nothing and no one else is UNcreated.

• Does God have His inherent existence in the eternal heavenly realm?

• From His own UNcreated self-existence in the eternal heavnely realm, did God create ALL?

• Is there anything that has any form of existence that God did NOT create?

• Is there anything that is a noun (person/place/thing) that God didn't create?

• Did God create the entirety of the cosmos and the heavenly host?

• Is there anything else that you understand God to have created?

• Is there anything else that God created besides the cosmos of the natural material universe and the host of heaven?

• Please be all-inclusive with no omission whatsoever. No backtracking later.

And don't get too frustrated as I belabor this portion. It's ultimately the foundation for ridding others of severe cognitive dissonance and to be able to comprehend the truth.

Also... I'll be interested to see your answers to my brief questions on Psalm 33:6. :)

Last edited:

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
"Not My will, but Thine, be done..."

Wherever you draw a line, it has to not cut out a word or verse of scripture in the process, to be orthodox (true).

I'm not speaking of the Theoanthropic prosopon, the Incarnate Logos. The Incarnate Logos had a reasonable/rational human soul. The will is a soul faculty.

The alleged eternally pre-existent multiple hypostases of the original Creedal Trinity doctrine didn't have individuated minds/wills as sentient consciousnesses. It's one of the distinguishing necessities of the original Trinity doctrine, and it's not recognized as an issue today.

God doesn't have multiple souls. The mind is a faculty of the soul. God is not tri-psuchos. Only the Incarnate Logos had a distinct mind and will. This isn't talking about the Logos in a pre-existent state as an alleged additional hypostasis. This is during the Incarnation, when the Logos was a prosopon with a rational soul; hence a mind and will.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Dunno. Lon probably will. Feel free not to. :)

Hey... You could provide scripture that God is three hypostases. LOL.
:wave::eek::drum::crackup:

Your view is philosophical, confusing. We have biblical parameters that are clear, but the philosophical nuances are debatable.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Your view is philosophical, confusing. We have biblical parameters that are clear, but the philosophical nuances are debatable.

It's much less philosophical than the DyoHypoTrin version that drafted it's entire terminology to mimic and refute Neo-Platonism.

Cognitive dissonance is the obstacle. DyoHypoTrin doesn't represent the biblical parameters. It omits the central fixture of creation.

Everywhere I go, including all the jails and prisons on my itinerary each week, it only takes a few teaching sessions from the Greek to convey the truth and dispel the error.

The DyoHypoTrin doctrine presents an immanent and impotent God who couldn't and didn't create ALL. Not deliberately, or even consciously. But nobody understands transcendence and eternity, though they think they do for some reason.

From His inherent existence in the eternal heavenly realm, did God create ALL? Is there anything or anyone that God didn't create?

Tell me the explicit distinction between aidios (G126) and aionios (G166), and how it applies to God, eternity, the cosmos, and time versus space.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Can you briefly define dyohypo vs your view. Simple definition of each and how they differ, simply?

Some of your posts sound classical trinitarian, while others get lost in space with issues that are not biblical, but philosophical.

Do you affirm eternal now/timelessness or endless time/divine temporality.

Is there a church, group, writer, denomination that agrees with you?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Can you briefly define dyohypo vs your view. Simple definition of each and how they differ, simply?

Indeed.

Gordon H. Clark encouraged "definition" to be a better effort, than various descriptions, such as, "essence, substance, persons," etc.

One of his concise and reasonable commentaries of Augustine's trinitarian apologetics, he writes:

"Can we not say (definitely reason) that there are three succulents (described) when we have a saguaro, a barrel cactus, and a prickley pear? But maybe if we define 'cactus,' our theology will improve."

:think:

Seems to me this pps poster is approaching the matter in awkward and arrogant manner, and would do better to first accurately and thoroughly define the Godhead before he attempts to deny the confessional Trinity of distinctives existing therein.

Nang