ECT Our triune God

meshak

BANNED
Banned
The evidence shows that you are so filled with venomous hatred for anyone who doesn't agree with every word you post that all you can see is hatred.
You need help.

You continual reality denying comments are just amazing, dear.

You don't have nothing significant to say about Christianity. You don't know Jesus and don't even know what He teaches and commands. You are typical trin churchgoer who parrot your pastor's sermon is nothing new.

Lip serving is not one of Jesus' teachings.

I am informing the public to expose the reality of most churches that is not of Jesus.

blessings.

Krsto

PPS - You didn't have Subordinationist on your list of what you are not. It seems that label might fit?

bybee

You continual reality denying comments are just amazing, dear.

You don't have nothing significant to say about Christianity. You don't know Jesus and don't even know what He teaches and commands. You are typical trin churchgoer who parrot your pastor's sermon is nothing new.

Lip serving is not one of Jesus' teachings.

I am informing the public to expose the reality of most churches that is not of Jesus.

blessings.

Oh honestly! Your banal, driveling repetitive rants are so boring.
Do you think anyone is profiting by your words?
I send you blessings of "The Father, Son and Holy Spirit". Perhaps you may be uplifted into the light?

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Great, now shore up the "Modalist" side of what would be my rebuttal?

An ousia is not a hypostasis is not a prosopon. They are concurrent rather than modal in any fashion.

My view appropriately represents a transcendent ousia as God; a two-fold singular heavenly-imminent hypostasis of the Logos and Pneuma; and the Logos ultimately incarnate in flesh as an earthly-imminent prosopon.

This contrasts to the DyoHypostatic one ousia (presumed to be transcendent, but only heavenly-imminent; which is the problem); three heavenly-imminent hypostases (also presumed to be transcendent, but also only heavenly-imminent); and one of the three hypostases became flesh, hypostasizing as a prosopon.

If they are all the same being, then Modalism, is the heresy, right?

No more than DyoHypostatic Trinity. But lets define heresy. It originally meant simply "teaching", indicating different "schools" or "systems" of cohesive content that was unique from others. After Iraeneaus' "Against Heresies", it began to have a modified etymology that was negative, indicating "wrong teaching".

Schisma/schizo is the more egregious term over hairesis. Hairesis (G139) indicates a tendency opposite the accepted doctrine or practice. Hairesis is appropriate if the established doctrine and practice is incomplete or incorrect to any degree. Whereas schisma means to split or tear; a division in mind or sentiment, resulting in factions.

If someone is wrestling with monotheism and presenting an alternate solution because they don't accept the unbiblical components of the established DyoHypoTrin doctrine, it becomes an issue of the heart as to whether that opposition is merely hairesis or if it is schisma.

There is so much denominational hairesis AND schisma amongst Protestants, it's not any different. Many others who deny the ontological Deity of Christ still adamantly affirm the Son as God by identity. They insist Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, as opposed to a Docetic view. They insist the Logos became flesh as the Son. They affirm the virgin birth, the blood atonement for sin, the resurrection, and the ascension.

So I process the term "heresy" much differently than others who equate it with schism. And they're no more "disruptive" than DyoHypoTrins are about their pet divisions of doctrine, with represents heresies or schism.

Since everyone is wrong by degree, that's my reconciliationist criteria for evaluating the potential salvific faith of others in a general sense.

Ebionites, LDS, and JW are predominantly outside the faith. Two earthly parents, three individuated gods enabling man to become divine, and created angels becoming a created non-divine Son are all one step beyond the perimeter. But there are a minority that may still have salvific faith. I don't know the bounds of God's mercy and grace. But the structure of doctrine is clearly beyond the faith.

I place Arians, Sabellians, and Unitarians within the perimeter of potential salvific faith; just as I do Dyohypostatic Trinitarians and Triadists. Tritheism is beyond the faith. Binitarians are not inherently beyond the faith, nor are Pneumatomachians.

What's your answer to that?

An ousia is not a hypostasis is not a prosopon. They are distinct and concurrent, not Modal. I'm very definitely not a Modalist of any form.

Do you just want me to post my beliefs?

I'd presume you adhere to the PDF. I read it. :)

I suggested the PDF, remember?

I read it. As always, I have the same criticisms. In a distinctly non-Binitarian manner, I take issue with the false presentation that the HS is a distinct individuated hypostasis ("person"). And in the PDF, the Holy Spirit is referred to both as a "person" (hypostasis) AND a distinct "being". That would be an ousia. The two terms cannot be utilized to define the HS (or the F/S).

Dyohypostatic Trinity stands or falls on the correlation between the alleged multiple hypostases to the alleged singular ousia. They can't be intermingled. It's sloppy and entitled Theology Proper because the O/ortho Trinity view is so predominant.

The HS is God's own Spirit, just as your spirit is your own spirit (indwelt by the HS). In the two passages (Romans 8:27; where the HS is referred to in regards to mind and will functionality, the renderings are phronema and boulomai, respectively.

With phronema, the -ma suffix indicates the result of the action. Firstly, phronema is not nous or noeo, etc. Phronema is the result of one's thinking. That's the appropriate conjoined functionality of the spirit relative to the soul. It does NOT indicate the spirit is the "seat" of an individated mind. It does NOT even remotely imply an individuated person.

With boulomai, it must be contrasted to thelo/thelema. Boulomai expresses merely a PASSIVE desire or propensity, whereas thelo expesses an active volition and purpose. Boulomai is the inward predisposition from which active volition proceeds.

Boulomai denotes the UNconscious willing or an inner decision or thinking (comparable to phromena's result of thinking rather than being a "mind"); while thelo indicates conscious willing and denotes an active resolution urging on to action.

The HS exhibiting phronema and boulomai does NOT inherently indicate individuate sentient consciousness of a mind and a will. Instead, it points to the fact that the spirit is intimately and functionally conjoined to the mind and will of the soul.

Even the Early Fathers knew this when they first formulated multiple hypostases. A hypostasis, even in the original DyoHypo Trinity doctrine didn't intimate multiple individuated centers of sentient consciousness. That's a very modern contrivance based on the English term "person/s" and the presumption from how O/orthodox doctrine has drifted according to the English terms.

And it's a series of inferences to come to the erroneous conclusions that the Holy Spirit is an individuated "person". That comes from the concept being fitted to scripture rather than drawn from the text. That's why I refer to it as eisegetic rather than exegetic. The PDF attempts to accumulate data to support a view rather than drawing the view out of the text.

In any case, phronema is NOT a nous. And boulomai is NOT a consciously functioning will. Phronema is the result of the thinking of the mind of the soul. Boulomai is the UNconscious predisposition and propensity. That's a necessary confluence of spirit-soul interfunctionality.

We can talk about either your's or mine, I don't care which, but don't ask me to debate 'what you have a problem with' when you are simply throwing out terms you like. I 'can' look them up but such is tediious, especially if it isn't wanted or appreciated. Set groundwork for your contention and I'll enjoin and rejoin. Fair enough?

I think I've begun to do so. There's a bit of meat on the bone above. :)

Again, I've no problem with you saying our language sucks.

Our language doesn't suck. It just takes labor to position it as the receptor language for the Greek. Rather than word by word sufficiency, English generally requires a phrase, sentence, paragraph, page, or treatise to represent Greek terms and definitions. It's an opportunity to dig out and express concisely, IMHO.

I'm the one who said it is indeed inadequate for the job.

It's not inadequate. It's laborious, and requires didactic understanding of truth in the process.

Rather, I agree with you we can be better if not exacting and I'm asking 1) what you suggest and 2) what the better would be but I'm unconvinced that the church hasn't derived the present terms from scripture. This is a proper expectation of exegesis.

I disagree, but I'll just let it go after this. I don't consider superimposing terms upon/into the text to be exegesis. Nor do I consider taking a concept TO the text and being able to fit multiple terms to each part of the concept to be exegesis. Either multiple hypostases were read INTO the text, or multiple hypostases were read OUT OF the text. It was the former. That's classic eisegesis. And I'll leave it at that and concentrate on content instead.

PPS - I'm not hair-splitting. There's an exponential difference between three hypostases and one hypostasis. My view is closer to the other monohypostatic views. That's how far DyoHypos Trinity is from the truth.
hypostasis - the reality of a thing or being as it exists (substance)
hypostatized - to represent something as a reality
Within monohypostatic circles are modalist and unitarians. Such requires a very careful walk separating from heresies, which the creeds avoid.[/quote]

The Creeds introduce as much heresy as they avoid. Fact. And they morphed to accomodate the development of agreement on terms between East and West.

In the end, I don't care about all that except to know it for accurate reference. There aren't multiple hypostases in the text. Period. Nor are there multiple prosopoa for F/S/HS if one utilizes hypostasis in the singular for ousia. There isn't a triplicate term in the text that can present multiple "persons". That's because God isn't multiple "persons". In fact, God isn't "person/s" of ANY quantity. Only the prosopon of the Son as the Logos Incarnate was a prosopon.

Again, imo, there is a huge difference between arguing about how Christ is God and denying He is God. I think most are correctable but also think bible study is 'required' (and quite a bit of it) to correct these views.

But the entire Socinian movement came out of opposition to the fact that scripture doesn't present multiple hypostases. The DyoHypo Trinity is culpable for anathematizing others when they challenged its unscriptural foundation of terminology. I hold Dyohypostatic Trinitarians responsible for the very existenc of the Socinian theologies; and that includes Unitarians and Christadelphians. Their doctrine was a response to the errors of Trinity that were leveraged.

Why? A lot of people are yet puzzled by their understanding of God's nature and being. Such comes, imho, only as we continue in scripture, so why would it have troubled you to this degree?

Because I was lost without salvific faith, having been in a pulpit for 12 years after Bible College. My heart had not heard the Rhema for true faith. That's significant.

I'm not understanding the dilemma. I've definitely been on the lesser heretical lists prior to study.

Then how can you place others who are on those lists into a non-salvific scenario if you had salvation while on those lists? It's about wrestling with the "threeness" of F/S/HS while maintaining monotheism. Arians, Unitarians, and Sabellians do that.

I wasn't denying Christ as God but wasn't theologically mature. I've room yet for precision, to be certain and think it important, but am not sure wy such caused the duress. Can you explain that a bit? Thanks.

I was lost. Without Christ. Without salvific faith. My heart had not heard THE Rhema. My heart had heard A Rhema of DyoHypo Trinity. It wasn't salvific for me. That's why I'm so adamant; and it's also why I've spent 15 years in fasting and prayer, digging the reconciliatory truth out of the biblical langauges to correct the errors.

Denying the deity of Christ, is a much larger and serious contention.

I disagree. It's a part of rejecting the error of the DyoHypoTrin doctrine for many. Nobody has been presented with the absolute truth that reconciles them all. I don't consider the Deity of Christ to be the threshhold for salvific faith. Many have some nebulous misunderstanding that the Son is created in some manner. Having a sorted doctrine to the same affect is no more egregious.

I think OTHER doctrine in company WITH denying the Deity of Christ are the problem. Works soteriology is a huge obstacle, and eclipses any belief in some kind of createdness for the Son. There's grace and mercy for that. Works soteriology is at odds with salvation by grace through faith.

Which does not deny His deity.

Neither does Triadism or Tritheism. Deity requires an appropriate "how" for the "what", too. Most Oneness believers affirm the Deity of Christ, but you likely exclude them, too. "How" far exceeds "what" for any factor of theology. They are co-important.

"Out of" is yet stuck on 'substance.'

Nope. Exerchomia and ekporeuomai for the Logos and Pneuma are from the essence. Huge distinction. It's not about substance. It's about transcendence versus eternity. That's the missing component that no one understands.

Substance yet carries physical baggage properties.

Essence doesn't, relative to transcendence. And these were the terms YOUR doctrine introduced for conflict. I'm reconciling them.

What I do know is there is equitability in Scripture where first "God" creates the world and then Paul tells us Christ does.

Right. As the Logos. The Logos wasn't an individuated "person" of three. The Logos was... the Logos. The internal Logos became the external Son. Being co-terminous, the Logos didn't have to always be the Son. The Son's eternal pre-existence was as the Logos. The Son's eternality is that of the Logos.

Where the "Son" is called "Everlasting Father" and etc.

And yet the Son is not the Father.

We mustn't write over revelation to form an opinion that derides any form of scripture integrity.

That's exactly what the DyoHypoTrin doctrine did!!!!

I gave warning the first couple of sentences above. We must avoid the heresies and walk the tightrope between them, but I firmly believe the triune position necessary for only this reason: to avoid the heresies. I'm not too caught up in disagreeing in-house discussion of those who are triune, but that we are avoiding those heresies that dishonor God.

But God is NOT triune in ANY sense of there being multiple "persons". That's the problem. The English term "person/s". And it came from the unbiblical fallacy of multiple hypostases. Period. It's heresy, just like the others it impugns.

Agree. We can come up with better terms but all terms we use have a propensity for supporting one or another heresy (in this case, as stated, modalism or arian).

Nope. I can provide all the appropriate biblical terms.

It seems to me, we need to struggling balance of terms to keep tight on the rope and stay balanced, which is also why I think it hairsplitting. I think hairsplitting good, but important to keep perspective too. I see this one as an 'in-house' triune discussion.

Until recently, I wouldn't even label myself as triune. I've embraced it to be more effective in correcting the errors. But I'm not triune in any sense that you and others are. There are NOT multiple "persons".

I see our triune view as the least developed doctrine, and language inadequate to completely apprehend God.

Laborious, tedious, and fraught with difficulty. Not inadequate.

As such, well-meaning attempts to keep others from heresies is work done well.

DyoHypoTrin is heresy, especially according to the "lighter" Greek definition.

But saying it that way has a dangerous modal tenor and definitely would lead future generations into modalist thinking.

Nope. I can delineate the difference quite clearly. If not, you'd presume I was a Modalist like many others do.

The terms we use may not be to your exact liking (or mine) but I do think they help maintain an important scriptural and doctrinal balance.

No. They're not scriptural. They were superimposed generally from the Greek language rather than the inspired uasge OF the Greek language in the text.

These heresies deny and cloud, and rewrite scripture. We don't see cults as truly Christian for good reason.

And I include DyoHypoTrin in this assessment.

Rewriting one portion of scripture leads readily to a different God and different Salvation rather quickly.

Yep. Like superimposing multiple hypostases upon/into the text.

And I beg to differ (suffice it to say). Logically, as well as I believe Biblically, you cannot have language fully disclosing Him but rather disclosing what finite (limited) amount we know, accurately.

You evidently discount the scope of oida knowledge (or likely haven't paid attention to what it is).

Such leaves error in 'our' hands, not that the scripture isn't sufficient. I agree it is, but we are talking about two different things: Enough vs full-disclosure. I don't believe finite capable.

I do. We've been created with the capacity and capability of logos in His image. There's a measure to which God is ineffable. That doesn't mean we can't know Him. That's the reason He embodied His Logos in flesh. It wasn't to conceal Himself.

To me, it sounds like you are trying to walk the same tight rope. I think it behooves you to understand the difference between those within orthodoxy and without as one who claims to be within, and I'm using orthodoxy little-o.

I don't consider "orthodoxy" to be the same thing you do. It simply means "right teaching". DyoHypoTrin isn't.

You should be aware of which is which and I think you conflating the actuals backwards.

Yes, you think that.

Someone denying Christ is God is missing a huge chunk of scripture.

As is anyone ascribing multiple "persons" hypostases to God.

Perhaps you haven't spent enough time with cults? TOL should remedy that fairly quickly (and one reason I think they are welcome here, for that purpose).

I'm fine with them to a point. I think of them in much the same terms as DyoHypo Trins.

It is probably worth getting into a a discussion over but will take time to walk and wade through. You can use this thread for that but you might think about starting your own thread dedicated 'only' to that subject. It'd give people time to study, others would post informing links and information, and it'd get the single kind of attention you are trying to draw to it. I'll come read and post there if you should do so.

Well, again, such can be hashed out here or you can start a thread just for it. Give it a bit of thought and let me know one way or the other?

Gotcha, and yeah, it is harder to define such contexts. I'd just slow down and define as you go. It is an important discussion. For right now, my disagreement with you is whether we are being eisegetically or exegetical.
It could even be that we categorize differently between exegesis and eisegesis. Such is going to make for a very long discussion :)

Er, a total denial of deity is huge to me.

The councils weren't done in a vacuum nor were the creeds produced from a void. There were good reasons why these happened and 'fighting' was part of the problem.

Yes, but such minutia has paramount effects, like a small stone thrown into a pool. You, yourself, are arguing over the importance of this minutia so I'm getting a mixed signal from you. My larger concern is that I don't believe you can deny the deity of Christ without missing the entire thrust of scripture promise and redemption. As I read my bible, this is a huge huge issue.

Addressed all this already.

Not true. The Son praying to the Father is exegetically sound for such a doctrinal position.

No. It presumes multiple "persons".

The Word being both with and at the same time being God, is another. These aren't eisegetical, but rather very clear pieces to the greater whole of who God is.

The Logos is presumed to be a pre-existent "person". That's eisegesis.

I disagree. I believe saying a being is both 'with' and 'is' the same being exegetically confounds your issue.

You're equivocating "person" and "being" here.

Scripture uses clear (exegetical) distinction. I'm not caught up with 'substance' or 'essence' as the synonymous but you seem here, to be denying the exegetical idea. I don't believe it is foundable.

I at least think you 'think' it does. Perhaps future discussion will provide the means for us to 'show' our work for comparison.

Let me put it another way: there are only so many things I can make my dog understand. The limitation isn't with me, it is with my dog.
On this note, there is only so much we can understand from God. It isn't that He is limited, it is that we are.

We have been delegate the capacity of logos. Dogs have not.

We'll see then, over time what you are. To me, it looks like you are attempting to distance. If you aren't any of the heresies, you are triune in nearly every sense I am, you are attempting rather to be more exacting. I'm good with that if such be the case.

It comes down to Cosmogony relative to transcendence and eternity. You don't recognize the entire creation of God.

You have more love and patience and your glasses seem more rosey than mine. I have genuine and foundable concerns regarding heretics. I'm not talking about someone struggling with wrong ideas. I'm talking about cults, those who are defiant, and do empathize with members within who are lied to. I don't have a lot of sympathies for TOL unitarian wanna-be's.

Agreed. This does not mean my dog will start talking to me or always get my commands, however.

Dogs don't have the ability for logos.

Er, even 'modal' carries this problem. The problem with any one view is that it can be mistakenly understood only in physical terms, and thus be wrong.
It is important, once again, to repeat the the councils met and wrote creeds to keep aloof from heresies. It is more of a doctrine of 'what you cannot believe and be true to God' than 'what we believe.'

Awkward. You've been trying to tell me it "isn't" salvific. Seems that it is, no?

The DyoHypoTrin doctrine is NOT salvific. I was referring to me grudgingly calling myself a Trinitarian by different formulation.

Such recorrections cannot work because they are entirely too modal in conveyance.

Nope. An ousia is not a hypostasis is not a prosopon.

I'm more concerned with what you are 'describing' than your word choice but I think perhaps conversely, you got caught up in word choice rather than what 'tri-une' is trying to convey. I think the 'description' more important but I'm a global-thinker and such is a preference of those few of us. We are more engrossed in the whole idea than the exact words you are using 'because' we know they don't always convey the right idea. Rather, we keep looking at the big picture (meh, I think the world needs us too).

We'll get on to more. :)

Krsto

grulz, bybee, lazy, pps, please, let's not get her stirred up on this thread, take it to hers. You can't reason with a Prov. 12:15 woman:

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkens unto counsel is wise.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
PPS,

You said I did not ask you question. and I just did and you wont answer.

what are you afraid of?

I can guess from your posts why you are here. You want to argue how you are knowledgeable about the Bible.

But you don't seem to know your knowledge will not save you. Jesus called Pharisees and Scribes hypocrites.

Jesus says we know them by their fruit, not by our knower of doctrines.

Knowledge inflates your ego.

I can see this traits in trinity doctrine arguments and other debates going on in the forums.

blessings.

Lon

My goodness,

Hateful and lengthy and complicated posts have been exchanged, and my simple question is ignored.

what a world.

blessings.
Hateful? No. I have most arians/unitarians on iggy. I don't mind 'discussion' but "I" don't want to get into knock-down drag out fights with them. You used to write me a note and I'd respond, on my user page, remember? I have no problem doing so again. It seemed like a good way to work for me. I'm the one who needs a break so I'm not acting in the flesh. Arians and unitarians 'generally' don't bring out my good side. - I have had no reason to be exasperated with you, but too many posts like the one ▲above▲is the reason my iggy list has grown. It doesn't bring out the best in me.

Lon,

How do you justify your belief that believe in Jesus as God is essential in salvation?

Jesus did not say that.
He didn't say "Don't worship Muhammed or Joseph Smith" either. By the same token, if you were to do so, are you still a Christian? It is an important question.

"If" Jesus is made from your expectation rather than scripture, then he is little different than Joseph Smith or Mohammed. Such a man cannot save you.
You can be mistaken about Him, but should be reading scripture and not stopping with this very simple view that does not account for all of scripture as it portrays Christ. Deity, is the mark that separate Christ from Joseph Smiths and Muhammeds.
I know I don't give you complicated question, but we don't need to know complicated theology to serve and worship God.
▲ I tried to make it/keep it simple for you▲

Lon

I'll respond to the previous lenghty post and then this one. But I thought it would be helpful to post the following affirmations in a cohesive format, along with the disaffirmations at the end.

OUTLINE OF THEOLOGY PROPER

I affirm:
There is One Deity.
The Father is Deity.
The Holy Spirit is Deity.
The Word (Son) is Deity.
These Three are One Deity.

The Father is Eternally Pre-Existent.
The Holy Spirit is Eternally Pre-Existent.
The Word is Eternally Pre-Existent.

The Father is Uncreated and Unbegotten.
The Holy Sprit is Uncreated and Unbegotten.
The Son is Uncreated and the Only Begotten.

The Father is not the Holy Spirit nor the Son (Word).
The Holy Spirit is not the Father nor the Son (Word).
The Son (Word) is not the Father nor the Holy Spirit.

The Son proceeded forth and came from the Father, Sent by the Father.
The Holy Spirit proceedeth from the Father, Sent by the Father and the Son.
(The Holy Spirit proceedeth NOT from both the Father and the Son [Filioque], though Sent by Both.)

Jesus is the Son of God and is Authentically Divine, Begotten of the Father by the Holy Spirit.
Jesus is the son of man and is authentically human with a rational soul, born of the virgin by the Holy Spirit.
The Virgin Birth of Jesus was a Supernatural Procreative Act of God, NOT a Creative Act.
God hath made (NOT created) Jesus both Lord and Christ.

Neither the procession(s) nor the conception were a creative act; nor did the procession(s) represent emanation.

F/S/HS are all distinct, all uncreated, all eternal, all non-modal, all concurrent, all con-substantial, ontological Deity by substance and subsistence. The Father is not the Son is not the Father (are not the Holy Spirit).
:up:
But God is NOT three hypostases/one ousia as a Trinity of three "persons"/one "being".

I think too, when I said we'd argue mostly over Exegesis vs Eisegesis, such may be still true, but only inasmuch as it relates to a triune view, not so much as it relates to the topic of your concern. For that, I'm in agreement (I think).

I'm not ANY of the following:
Tritheist
Triadist
Trinitarian (DyoHypostatic)
Bitheist
Ditheist
Dyadist
Binitarian
Unitarian
Socinian
Christadelphian
Ebionitist
Adoptionist
Pneumatomachianist
Sabellian
Monarchian
Patripassian
Arian
OR any number of over 60 other isms.

It seems to me, you are in good company among trinitarians. Not many of us can actually discuss the fine points (not even sure if I'm always up to par, but I try). I think this post makes it pretty clear to me.

In Him, Lon

P.S. I'd suggest going from here rather than backtracking. This looks like a good post to me. The concern from the other posts, is how specifically, such language manages to avoid the other heresy pitfalls like modalism, etc.

After that, I'm yet concerned on the unitarain inclusion among others. For me, all heresies need to be avoided, but I think I'm appreciating where you are coming from at least negligably better from this post.

TOL still needs, imho, a Triune Battle Royale.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Hateful? No. I have most arians/unitarians on iggy. I don't mind 'discussion' but "I" don't want to get into knock-down drag out fights with them. You used to write me a note and I'd respond, on my user page, remember? I have no problem doing so again. It seemed like a good way to work for me. I'm the one who needs a break so I'm not acting in the flesh. Arians and unitarians 'generally' don't bring out my good side. - I have had no reason to be exasperated with you, but too many posts like the one ▲above▲is the reason my iggy list has grown. It doesn't bring out the best in me.

I would like to ask in public because Jesus' simple messages have been disregarded with complicated and twisted theology.

And non-trins come to forums and give them satisfaction of spreading so called "only-true-Christians-understand-trinity" debates..

How do you understand Basic of Christianity? Do you think only people who finish bible college understand it?

blessings.

Lon

Pps, I did manage to combine quite a bit of this. In some cases, I elimated or combined observation and general discussion comments rather than directly respond, which I think helps with length. We are two windbags, however, this is still lengthy.
An ousia is not a hypostasis is not a prosopon. They are concurrent rather than modal in any fashion.
In a nutshell, this is the theme of a good amount of this redress so I'll poke in now and then. I think you've laid a nice groundwork and are also getting a lot of questions from others and so 1) I assume you are not going to start another thread and 2) it seems in good keeping with the tenor of this thread and hopefully will stay that way.

My view appropriately represents a transcendent ousia as God; a two-fold singular heavenly-imminent hypostasis of the Logos and Pneuma; and the Logos ultimately incarnate in flesh as an earthly-imminent prosopon.

This contrasts to the DyoHypostatic one ousia (presumed to be transcendent, but only heavenly-imminent; which is the problem); three heavenly-imminent hypostases (also presumed to be transcendent, but also only heavenly-imminent); and one of the three hypostases became flesh, hypostasizing as a prosopon.
I had to look some of this up again, but my learning curve is nowhere near most so fyi, this part of the conversation is yet too academic for most on TOL. There are a small number, however, that will greatly appreciate it.
I'm just trying to help you hit your intended audience (besides me), for whichever you are aiming for.

No more than DyoHypostatic Trinity. But lets define heresy. It originally meant simply "teaching", indicating different "schools" or "systems" of cohesive content that was unique from others. After Iraeneaus' "Against Heresies", it began to have a modified etymology that was negative, indicating "wrong teaching".

Schisma/schizo is the more egregious term over hairesis. Hairesis (G139) indicates a tendency opposite the accepted doctrine or practice. Hairesis is appropriate if the established doctrine and practice is incomplete or incorrect to any degree. Whereas schisma means to split or tear; a division in mind or sentiment, resulting in factions.

If someone is wrestling with monotheism and presenting an alternate solution because they don't accept the unbiblical components of the established DyoHypoTrin doctrine, it becomes an issue of the heart as to whether that opposition is merely hairesis or if it is schisma.

There is so much denominational hairesis AND schisma amongst Protestants, it's not any different. Many others who deny the ontological Deity of Christ still adamantly affirm the Son as God by identity. They insist Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, as opposed to a Docetic view. They insist the Logos became flesh as the Son. They affirm the virgin birth, the blood atonement for sin, the resurrection, and the ascension.

So I process the term "heresy" much differently than others who equate it with schism. And they're no more "disruptive" than DyoHypoTrins are about their pet divisions of doctrine, with represents heresies or schism.

Since everyone is wrong by degree, that's my reconciliationist criteria for evaluating the potential salvific faith of others in a general sense.

Ebionites, LDS, and JW are predominantly outside the faith. Two earthly parents, three individuated gods enabling man to become divine, and created angels becoming a created non-divine Son are all one step beyond the perimeter. But there are a minority that may still have salvific faith. I don't know the bounds of God's mercy and grace. But the structure of doctrine is clearly beyond the faith.

I place Arians, Sabellians, and Unitarians within the perimeter of potential salvific faith; just as I do Dyohypostatic Trinitarians and Triadists. Tritheism is beyond the faith. Binitarians are not inherently beyond the faith, nor are Pneumatomachians.
Generally, for me, a heresy is a denial of some portion of scriputure which directly or indirectly hurts the gospel message (salvific). I suppose heterodox is in there somewhere too, but this then points to, for me, salvific vs non-salvific diverging.

An ousia is not a hypostasis is not a prosopon. They are distinct and concurrent, not Modal. I'm very definitely not a Modalist of any form.
I'm pretty sure I understood that. Rather, I was asking how your stated theology managed to distance from that. I think your creedal post did a pretty good job of it.

I'd presume you adhere to the PDF. I read it. :)
Yes. For me, the 'persons' language isn't as big a hang-up because I'd no way and am not exacting enough to state such in a way that would provide a 'better' model. In seminary, such was discussed but there was no proposed 'better' model in existence. Again, for me, the triune view and language is more about 'what heresy to avoid because it denies or does damage to full revelation" rather than 'what to believe.' It has always been a inexact doctrine, to me, "in mystery." Removing the superflous or inexact from it, to me is a noble work. I hope you take a lot of time and are comprehensive with your book, because I think I'd like it in my library. Perhaps one paperback addressing immediate concerns for the church and a larger Theology proper volume for the rest of us. Even if there is a large disagreement, I'd find it informative as well as an important resource. If you can collaborate on it, even better.

I read it. As always, I have the same criticisms. In a distinctly non-Binitarian manner, I take issue with the false presentation that the HS is a distinct individuated hypostasis ("person"). And in the PDF, the Holy Spirit is referred to both as a "person" (hypostasis) AND a distinct "being". That would be an ousia. The two terms cannot be utilized to define the HS (or the F/S).
On this particular, as with Jesus in the Garden talking about His separate will, we may disagree. I'm not sure yet, but I think this more than just the language, for disagreement this time but because you are not modal, I'm not sure to what extent. Such again, is important in distancing from a Modal view so I don't think it simply enough to eliminate 'person.' I understand ousia, but it needs an English word translation. Besides 'person' what word are you suggesting? Also, it isn't just a 'term' replacement so such also needs explanation rather than 'just' being a more accurate term (if such be the case).
Dyohypostatic Trinity stands or falls on the correlation between the alleged multiple hypostases to the alleged singular ousia. They can't be intermingled. It's sloppy and entitled Theology Proper because the O/ortho Trinity view is so predominant.
From my seminary days, I'm not sure if 'sloppy' was the term. I think "inexacting" was closer to discussion but the question "Can we be exacting (or at least any more exacting)?" was the question. If so, you've risen to the challenge much better than I have. I was, at the time thinking: "If my professors can't do it, I certainly don't think I'm going to make a lot of headway." It was not, however, my intention to be or remain 'sloppy' though. I did work on it but hadn't come up with better terms. If you have, such work will be important to the rest of us.

The HS is God's own Spirit, just as your spirit is your own spirit (indwelt by the HS).
Dangerously modal, imho.

In the two passages (Romans 8:27; where the HS is referred to in regards to mind and will functionality, the renderings are phronema and boulomai, respectively.

With phronema, the -ma suffix indicates the result of the action. Firstly, phronema is not nous or noeo, etc. Phronema is the result of one's thinking. That's the appropriate conjoined functionality of the spirit relative to the soul. It does NOT indicate the spirit is the "seat" of an individated mind. It does NOT even remotely imply an individuated person.
Seems to trample John 14 revelation and doctrine. Rejoinder?

With boulomai, it must be contrasted to thelo/thelema. Boulomai expresses merely a PASSIVE desire or propensity, whereas thelo expesses an active volition and purpose. Boulomai is the inward predisposition from which active volition proceeds.

Boulomai denotes the UNconscious willing or an inner decision or thinking (comparable to phromena's result of thinking rather than being a "mind"); while thelo indicates conscious willing and denotes an active resolution urging on to action.

The HS exhibiting phronema and boulomai does NOT inherently indicate individuate sentient consciousness of a mind and a will. Instead, it points to the fact that the spirit is intimately and functionally conjoined to the mind and will of the soul.

Even the Early Fathers knew this when they first formulated multiple hypostases. A hypostasis, even in the original DyoHypo Trinity doctrine didn't intimate multiple individuated centers of sentient consciousness. That's a very modern contrivance based on the English term "person/s" and the presumption from how O/orthodox doctrine has drifted according to the English terms.
I think you have to account for the book of John here. "Not My will but Thine" and sending "another Comforter and He shall teach you..." seem beyond your spectrum of discussion. Theology has to come back and 'comfortably' sit with scripture or correction cannot be possible. The correction must sit well in all scriptural contexts.

And it's a series of inferences to come to the erroneous conclusions that the Holy Spirit is an individuated "person". That comes from the concept being fitted to scripture rather than drawn from the text. That's why I refer to it as eisegetic rather than exegetic. The PDF attempts to accumulate data to support a view rather than drawing the view out of the text.

In any case, phronema is NOT a nous. And boulomai is NOT a consciously functioning will. Phronema is the result of the thinking of the mind of the soul. Boulomai is the UNconscious predisposition and propensity. That's a necessary confluence of spirit-soul interfunctionality.
For me, your position, at least on paper and as presently formulated, is more sloppy than the present triune model. When it comes to theology proper, most collaborate, even if only one name on the presentation.

Our language doesn't suck.
"Inadequate" would have been astute, sorry. I agree, but was rather misreading your previous post.

It just takes labor to position it as the receptor language for the Greek. Rather than word by word sufficiency, English generally requires a phrase, sentence, paragraph, page, or treatise to represent Greek terms and definitions. It's an opportunity to dig out and express concisely, IMHO.
It's not inadequate. It's laborious, and requires didactic understanding of truth in the process.
I think it can, but such needs to accurately reflect and seat into all of scripture. It is a daunting task.

]
I disagree, but I'll just let it go after this. I don't consider superimposing terms upon/into the text to be exegesis. Nor do I consider taking a concept TO the text and being able to fit multiple terms to each part of the concept to be exegesis. Either multiple hypostases were read INTO the text, or multiple hypostases were read OUT OF the text. It was the former. That's classic eisegesis. And I'll leave it at that and concentrate on content instead.
That's because it isn't. You are exactly right. Rather, we probably disagree when such is being done.

The Creeds [potentially] introduce as much heresy as they avoid. Fact. And they morphed to accomodate the development of agreement on terms between East and West.
I don't think but the 'possibility' was introduced.

But the entire Socinian movement came out of opposition to the fact that scripture doesn't present multiple hypostases. The DyoHypo Trinity is culpable for anathematizing others when they challenged its unscriptural foundation of terminology. I hold Dyohypostatic Trinitarians responsible for the very existenc of the Socinian theologies; and that includes Unitarians and Christadelphians. Their doctrine was a response to the errors of Trinity that were leveraged.
Again, arians simply died out. I suppose not having a 'place' to fellowship could be attributed, but I don't think you can lay the problem all on one doorstep. I do understand you may have been a victim but, for me, this is a bit of overt projecting in historical assessment. Others hold to your same assessment, so you have that on your side, but for 'me' it seems projecting 'into' the result a least a tad. My study has a good many of these fringe heretical groups simply 'dying/fizzing out.' Martin Luther managed to 'not' do so. I read 'divine intervention' between the lines. Such can influence quickly the color of our respective historical glasses. We could probably argue the point, but that's not my immediate intention.

Because I was lost without salvific faith, having been in a pulpit for 12 years after Bible College. My heart had not heard the Rhema for true faith. That's significant.

I was lost. Without Christ. Without salvific faith. My heart had not heard THE Rhema. My heart had heard A Rhema of DyoHypo Trinity. It wasn't salvific for me. That's why I'm so adamant; and it's also why I've spent 15 years in fasting and prayer, digging the reconciliatory truth out of the biblical langauges to correct the errors.
I might have to hear your whole story one day. I think I have to leave your answer as is until such a time. It isn't something I've heard before.

Then how can you place others who are on those lists into a non-salvific scenario if you had salvation while on those lists? It's about wrestling with the "threeness" of F/S/HS while maintaining monotheism. Arians, Unitarians, and Sabellians do that.

I disagree. It's a part of rejecting the error of the DyoHypoTrin doctrine for many. Nobody has been presented with the absolute truth that reconciles them all. I don't consider the Deity of Christ to be the threshhold for salvific faith. Many have some nebulous misunderstanding that the Son is created in some manner. Having a sorted doctrine to the same affect is no more egregious
"Stuck" there. I don't think God leaves believers there nor am I saying Arians cannot be saved. It is rather that I think we are drawn from those errors as we continue in scripture. Ultimately, we have to agree: Salvation belongs to the Lord. Rather, I can't be sure if God can save a Mormon with Jesus and Joseph Smith before eyes, insomuch as 'we' are responsible for the truth God has given us. As such, we have to disclose truth when such need arises, in a manner that is truthful. I think "salvific danger" is how I would term and categorize.

I think OTHER doctrine in company WITH denying the Deity of Christ are the problem. Works soteriology is a huge obstacle, and eclipses any belief in some kind of createdness for the Son. There's grace and mercy for that. Works soteriology is at odds with salvation by grace through faith.
Very few on TOL will dispute that. You are in good company.

Right. As the Logos. The Logos wasn't an individuated "person" of three. The Logos was... the Logos. The internal Logos became the external Son. Being co-terminous, the Logos didn't have to always be the Son. The Son's eternal pre-existence was as the Logos. The Son's eternality is that of the Logos.
Except, before incarnation, "in the beginning the Word was with and was God."
Your correction must understand this.

And yet the Son is not the Father.
There is distinction, yes, but:
Isaiah 9:6??? "with" and "was"?
"Mystery" or "dizzying" happen to me from time to time in a triune discussion.

Laborious, tedious, and fraught with difficulty. Not inadequate.
"Limited" or "finite" would probably have conveyed my sentiment better, here.

DyoHypoTrin is heresy, especially according to the "lighter" Greek definition.
I just realized all heresies are named after individuals. I've no idea who Dyohypotrinius was (sorry if the humor is lost).

Nope. I can delineate the difference quite clearly. If not, you'd presume I was a Modalist like many others do.
I think you missed my point: do you want PneumaPsucheSomist Modalists in the future that took your ideas, unshorn, and ran with them, in the future?

No. They're not scriptural. They were superimposed generally from the Greek language rather than the inspired uasge OF the Greek language in the text.
Such is assertion at the moment....

And I include DyoHypoTrin in this assessment.
Yep. Like superimposing multiple hypostases upon/into the text.
What bible verses are damaged because of the doctrine? That's my litmus test.

You evidently discount the scope of oida knowledge (or likely haven't paid attention to what it is).
Finite beings cannot contain infinite information, in my understanding, else we'd be God. We are finite beings, therefore 1) not God and 2) Not able to know what He knows. Similarly, language can help you here know a bit about me, but it cannot help you know 'all' about me and I'm not even finite. In order to actually know "all" concerning me, you'd have to be me, so yes, language does have set and concrete limitations.

I do. We've been created with the capacity and capability of logos in His image. There's a measure to which God is ineffable. That doesn't mean we can't know Him. That's the reason He embodied His Logos in flesh. It wasn't to conceal Himself.
I must/have to discount contention. It doesn't matter if you think I paid attention or not, imho at this present time.

I don't consider "orthodoxy" to be the same thing you do. It simply means "right teaching". DyoHypoTrin isn't.
It means pretty much the same to me.

As is anyone ascribing multiple "persons" hypostases to God.
For me: Both. He is both "with" and "is" God. Scripture says that, not me.

The DyoHypoTrin doctrine is NOT salvific. I was referring to me grudgingly calling myself a Trinitarian by different formulation.
I'm fine with them to a point. I think of them in much the same terms as DyoHypo Trins.
I have to keep remembering such crosses the rest of our lines. The difference between these two statements is much different for us than you. I see arians in a much more dangerous heretical position. At any rate, it is important, I think, that you know this is going to cause problems in the future. You almost got my knee-jerk reaction until I pieced the two together (cut/paste). The two statments, I think, should be treaded carefully for you, not because you don't get it, but because we, from a differing perspective, won't get it, so you have to be responsible for your own conveyance. In the future, if you see a knee-jerk response, hopefully you'll remember I said it was going to happen and you'll be able to quickly handle the mishap.
No. It presumes multiple "persons".
Mat 26:39 And He went a little further and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me. Yet not as I will, but as You will.

The Logos is presumed to be a pre-existent "person". That's eisegesis.
You're equivocating "person" and "being" here.
See above, "distinction" is not eisegetic. I't isn't implied, it is express. If 'distinction' or 'individuation' or 'being' works better than 'person,' well and good but if you are trying to erase the concept (the idea of individualization), then it's just wrong.
Be very specific here, please.

We have been delegate the capacity of logos. Dogs have not.
Missing the point, but not the first to do so. Rather, this is an illustration of finiteness, or limitation. There is no contention regarding the other but it is superflous to the point and direction.

It comes down to Cosmogony relative to transcendence and eternity. You don't recognize the entire creation of God.
At this point, for me, it is merely a disconnective assertion. It'll need a bit of effort to cause it to be meaningful/understood and/or relevant.

Dogs don't have the ability for logos.
And you have it only to a very limited degree. See that ▼ verse ▼ in my sig? Don't miss the actual point.

In Him

-Lon

meshak

BANNED
Banned
He didn't say "Don't worship Muhammed or Joseph Smith" either. By the same token, if you were to do so, are you still a Christian? It is an important question.

I don't worship any man. But Trinitarians worship their own man-made doctrines and their organization. Jesus did not say you need to believe in the trinity to be saved.

There is no where in the Bible Jesus teaches trinity to be saved.

Why you cannot see this simple reality?

Trinity churches Christianity' is Jesus-less.

that's why they should be called Trinitarians instead of Christians.

Lon

I would like to ask in public because Jesus' simple messages have been disregarded with complicated and twisted theology.

And non-trins come to forums and give them satisfaction of spreading so called "only-true-Christians-understand-trinity" debates..

How do you understand Basic of Christianity? Do you think only people who finish bible college understand it?

blessings.
For the most part, the problem is not 'having' a faulty idea, but rather 'proporting (teaching)' that idea. Paul says not many of us should be teacher, and for good reason. Whether such affects salvation or not is in God's hands. If you are just 'wrong' and open to input and correction, it's a good sign. You don't have to go to bible college but arguing with someone who has done so isn't the way to go either. If you have a false idea, you are not a false teacher until you 'teach' it and debate it.

Lon

I don't worship any man. But Trinitarians worship their own man-made doctrines and their organization. Jesus did not say you need to believe in the trinity to be saved.

There is no where in the Bible Jesus teaches trinity to be saved.

Why you cannot see this simple reality?

Trinity churches Christianity' is Jesus-less.

that's why they should be called Trinitarians instead of Christians.
Again, you can believe wrongly and be saved. I don't think, however, God will leave you there. Scripture says Jesus is God. If you understand, not from me, but scripture, there is only one God, that Jesus is God, and other important verses, I'm not too caught up on theological terms like 'trinity.' I'm rather concerned that you are believing the whole word of God and believing every scripture.