ECT Our triune God

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
So... You bathe the inward of yourself? I'd like to see that. Or not.

Me too.

Jeremiah 2:22 KJV

22 For though thou wash thee with nitre, and take thee much soap, yet thine iniquity is marked before me, saith the Lord GOD.

Who convinces me of sin?

John 8:46 KJV

46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?

I judge not mine own self.

1 Corinthians 4:3 KJV

3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: :angrymob: yea, I judge not mine own self.

Psalm 51:7 KJV

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean : wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

John 13:8 KJV

8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

Arsenios

Me too.

Jeremiah 2:22 KJV

22 For though thou wash thee with nitre, and take thee much soap, yet thine iniquity is marked before me, saith the Lord GOD.

Who convinces me of sin?

John 8:46 KJV

46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?

I judge not mine own self.

1 Corinthians 4:3 KJV

3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: :angrymob: yea, I judge not mine own self.

Psalm 51:7 KJV

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean : wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

John 13:8 KJV

8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

Grammar lesson plan B.

I am walking the dog. [Active voice]
I am being walked by my caregiver. [Passive voice]
I am walking to the store. [Middle voice]

Film at 11:00

A.

Arsenios

PPS,
would you explain
what you consider
the proper formulaic and/or understanding to be
for what you've described as a
"historical Trinitarian"
and/or
in "Orthodox Theology Proper"?

:popcorn:

A.

American Sniper vs broadsided grapeshot...

More...

:popcorn:

Hooray!

Last edited:

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber

I trusteth that thoueth art restedeth frometh thy vacationeth.:wave2:

Logos in Liddell, and as I understand it--"(A) the word or that by which the inward thought is expressed, Lat. oratio; and, (B) the inward thought itself, Lat. ratio."

Yes. The inward thought of the thinker. So "who" is the Thinker? The Father or the Son? And... In this Self-conscious Self-understanding... "who" is the object of understanding as the "who" that is being understood?

God's Logos must be His, and thus Him. The focus upon (pros accusative) would not be upon another hypostasis. That intent Self-focus would be God consummately apprehending and comprehending Himself.

There are a number of ways to apophatically address this for elimination, just as you've rightly insisted there are a number of ways for you to present what you're attempting to convey cataphatically.

So... The entire premise that self-conscious "ideation" is another internal hypostasis is fallacious and untenable, especially if/when that alleged filiation has individuated sentient volition and consciousness.

For classical Trinitarians, the image of the Father's hypostasis is another hypostasis

And this is the problem. Image is not EXPRESS image.

just like in Gen 2 & 5--Adam (as hypostasis) is the image of God, Seth (as hypostasis) is the image of Adam and Col 1:15 "the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation".

Charakter is, of course, distinct from eikon, homoioma, morphe, schema, huparcho, etc. Charakter can in no way be an individuating of another hypostasis. It's the inscribing and inscription of God's hypostasis upon and in His Logos.

This is all about the communication of essence/ousia or how it is that they are consubstantial.

And three hypostases are not required for this. By default, a simpler formulaic (not of apprehended concept, but of fewer or lesser considerations or components) is the superior apologetic. If innascibility, paternity/filiation, spiration/procession can be wholly accounted for exegetically with God as a non-modal, non-sequential singular hypostasis, then that apologetic would prevail.

What if this has historically never been considered, and largely because of the established status quo as a mandated false foundation, and the perceptions of degrees of Sabellianism or Arianism, etc.?

I (think) I could agree with this as relates the economy but it's heavy on metaphor standing in for ontology and I'd have to review again where you explained what the wax is.

It's actually lexicography coupled with etymology. What I've said is exactly the meaning and application of charakter. The etymology is from the tool making the impress, and later was inclusive of the imprint itself.

The wax is the (internal) Logos, sealed with the Holy Spirit upon the scroll of creation as noumenon. This is the crux of why it is so vital to understand God as eternal uncreated phenomenon and noumenon. He is not just mind. The physis of His ousia is the "seat" of His mind as His all-pervading faculty of Self-Consciousness for Self-Existence. And the functionality of that nous faculty is within His (singular) hypostasis.

And this is also why it is crucial to understand the objective Rhema and subjective Rhema as scabbard and sword, thrust by the Logos.

In the classical Trinitarian view, God does internally spirate.

Yes, I know. This spiration is His "sighing". He isn't sighing within Himself.

In my specific (Western) view, the way the Son is begotten is by internal spiration

All of this bypasses the fundamental considerations of God as both uncreated phenomenon and noumenon, though presuming to account for it and compensate for the omission (though unknowingly).

(as Gregory of Nazianzus says "the Spirit is the middle term between the Unbegotten and the Begotten).

And THIS conflates and interposes filiation and passive spiration (procession). The Son spirated by the Father and/or Holy Spirit, but allegedly co-spirating the Holy Spirit with the Father. I smell a confounding of "persons".

As God is nous/intellect/mind,

This is where there's not enough. God is not "just" nous/intellect/mind. God is hypostasis underlying ousia with physis, and prosopon.

the Logos is the product of the act (spiration) of the Father understanding Himself.

But this would be the Father understanding Himself AS the Son. It occurs to me that this is an odd sequentially cumulative internal Modalism.

We could say the Spirit presents the Son to the Father.

In some way, this is internal Contingency in a non-Contingent God.

This is the same issue as innascibility relative to paternity. "When" was God not a Father? Making it all Opera Ad Intra doesn't remove the paradoxes of God having to be a "non-Father" hypostasis (fontal plenitude?) "before" engaging in paternity for filiation (which also means engaging in spiration for procession).

I know the Augustinians, Franciscans, Dominicans, and Aquinians, et al have seemingly worked through all the various problems, but they've all presumed much. And Latin Scholasticism is ultimately a bit of a mess.

The intellect analogy here being what goes on in a person's own mind in the act of cognition turning toward his being and understanding it--wherein the person is both subject/object or patient/agent.

Right. The Rhema is both subject and object. Logos is that which conveys object AS subject. The object is not the Logos. The Logos is conveying and re-presenting the object as subject. (Sword being wielded/thrust from scabbard.)

The subject is not another "person" (hypostasis), but the "person" Himself. It is God understanding Himself, not God understanding another hypostasis. (This is where I make a personal necessary distinction between the synonyms hypostaTizing and hypostaSizing. More on that later, if we get that far.)

If it must need be that the Father cannot be immanent as the Uncreated in creation then I agree with that last.

You're some fraction of the way there then. And of course I didn't expect you to affirm the first part. :)

:D

LOL! No, just Maine :)

"Just" Maine? I see. Maine is incomparable in ways.

The "place" (which isn't a place in the spatio-temporal sense) is God as mind.

This alone would mean the Son is only in God's mind, with no phenomenality as actuality of existence. Yet another issue with the classical "psychological" models and their shared fundamental tenet of mandated multiple hypostases.

God as mind is immaterial (and, it is argued at least in the West, so is our mind as a constituent of immaterial soul).

And that's the problem. God is not merely mind, and the focus on mind has excluded other considerations as the three hypostases have been considered mandatory in the formulaic.

God's Self-Consciousness is not the Son as an individuated hypostasis with the paradox of whether the Son is spirated or is co-spirating the Holy Spirit. It's the express image OF God's hypostasis. The exact hypostatic impress upon God's Logos to be externally re-presented in creation (heaven and the cosmos).

Exerchomai in the middle voice as in "internal processing" in Matthew 15:19 where it remains in the subject and is not transitive (and this I found which is a nice way to explain it although perhaps Arsenios can chime in),:

The problem begins with this passage not being about God or about processed hypostases. The only really appropriate exegetical consideration would be exerchomai in John 8:42, which is aina (both aorist and active, not present and middle).

The fact that the grammatical subject is a patient is what the middle-marking indicates in this instance, and it should be noted that this construction is essentially reflexive; in many languages reflexive constructions are employed in a manner very much like middle-marking in Greek. Traditional Greek grammar terms this usage “direct reflexive.”

Middle-marking may also be employed when the grammatical subject is not only the agent but also the beneficiary of the action or process. (e.g. κτᾶται ὁ ἀνὴρ ἵππον “The man acquires a horse (for himself).”) Traditional Greek grammar terms this usage “indirect reflexive.” When the subject is an experiencer engaged in receiving and mentally processing experiential data (feeling, tasting, smelling, sensing generally, e.g. αἰσθάνεσθαι, γεύεσθαι, ὀσφραίνεσθαι) or responding emotionally to some stimulus (fear, anger, desire, pleasure, pain, etc., e.g., φοβεῖσθαι, ὀργίζεσθαι, ὀρέγεσθαι, ἥδεσθαι, λυπεῖσθαι), or engaged in the cognitive processing of information (pondering, planning, reaching a conclusion, etc., e.g. λογίζεσθαι, βουλεύεσθαι, ἡγεῖσθαι), or in speech in response to another or others in a critical confrontation of some sort (blame, accusation, , answering, commanding, etc., e.g. μέμφεσθαι, αἰτιᾶσθαι, ἀποκρίνεσθαι, ἐντέλλεσθαι), the verb’s middle-marking indicates the grammatical subject’s deeper involvement in the verbal process. Interaction with another or others (dialogue, interrogation, combat, etc., διαλέγεσθαι, ἐρίζεσθαι, μάχεσθαι) and reciprocal actions (gathering, dispersal and collective behavior generally, e.g., συναγείρεσθαι, διαμερίζεσθαι) also commonly are associated with middle-marking of the verbs. When the grammatical subject is an undergoer of a process, whether a voluntary action (e.g. body movement (καθίζεσθαι, ἱστασθαι) or locomotion (πορεύεσθαι) or of a spontaneous process (e.g. birth – γενέσθαι or spoiling (of something organic – σήπεσθαι), middle-marking is commonly found in the verb-form. http://ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2459&start=30#p15092

But "engaging in the cognitive processing of information (pondering, planning, reaching a conclusion, etc.)" is much more akin to the Unitarian application. A "plan" or "processing of information" or "pondered conclusion" is not an additional individuated hypostasis, especially internally.

And that passage is regarding man bringing forth evil things from his heart. Murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, and blasphemies aren't an individuating of hypostases, especially internally. They are a re-presentation outwardly of what is inward within the heart.

Yes, God is not subject to space and time and those limitations (in addition to Be-ing in full actuality) which is why we say eternally begotton and eternally proceeding.

And yet... There is a vital and necessary sequence that ultimately indicates non-eternality.

All those "local motions" are collapsed and immediate.

Collapsed and immediate are, themselves, terms of spatiality and sequentiality as space and time. God is timeless and non-contingent. This is immensely paradoxical, denying God's Immensity. "Pure act" is self-refuting. God is "Be-ing". "Do-ing" is inevitable, but not "Be-ing". "Do-ing" the Son isn't an appropriate foundation.

These operations ad intra are in the logical order not the spatio-temporal order.

What logical "order"? In God's immense, infinite, eternal, immutable, non-contingent mind?

No.

The thinker is simply logically prior to His thoughts.

If you knew how Gnostic this is, you'd be appalled. What, then, would prevent God's thoughts from having thoughts which have thoughts which have thoughts (in endless emanation, all as individuated hypostases), and them all being Aeons and demi-urges, etc.?

God's Self-Conscious thoughts of His Self-Existence are not another individuated hypostasis. God's thoughts aren't the Son. The object OF His thought (His singular hypostasis) is exaclty impressed upon/in His Logos.

We've not even yet broached the innate uncreated phenomenality and noumenality of God in distinction. ALL of this has been uni-phenomenal.

Last edited:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Wow. Your typical non-cogent comment.:alien:

Maybe you could tell us all you even know about all the various forms of Gnosticism. That should take two or three whole sentences.

One not 2 or 3.

Gnosticism is what you think you know.

Where as Epignosis is not only knowing but knowing by whom you have been taught.

Only one name there, my fellow traveler.

Yeshua Messiah IaHUShUA (glory) Yahweh.

Last edited:

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
One not 2 or 3.

Gnosticism is what you think you know.

Nope. Gnosticism is a form of religion with many sub-sects.

You're referring to gnosis, and don't even know what THAT is.

Where as Epignosis is not only knowing but knowing by whom you have been taught.

Only one name there, my fellow traveler.

Yeshua Messiah IaHUShUA (glory) Yahweh.

You have no epignosis of gnosis OR epignosis.:alien:

Maybe you could consider contributing something worthwhile to the thread.

Why not completely outline Theology Proper exegetically in precise detail...

...because that couldn't happen.

Epignosis? Ummm.... not in the least.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
That would seem to be the nub...
To which I replied:

Please...
Thank-you...
Substantive now!

Yes.

Yet you should note carefully that in terms of the ranch, they are no longer individuated, but both have all the powers of that ranch...

In terms of the "large ranch property, no... Not until they either divide the ranch or one buys the other out... In terms of fallen humanity, they are two fallen human beings, and are not Divine ones - They have two wills and autonomy of action one from the other, because of the imposed limits of their knowledge qua fallen man...

The ranch would, I presume, for it is your analogy, be the equivalent of "the unsearchable Riches of God", yet God is not the ranch but instead is the ownership of the two partners who own it. So that for the cowboys, they have to learn to get along, whereas for God, there is one Divine Will and all thoughts are already known, even ahead of, or before, time...

Marriage follows a similar pattern - Two become into one flesh - And when it is working, they act in each other's behalf, in self denial of their own behalf, and in this is Salvation given by God in His Holy Body...

This is about as close to your "two persons in one being" that mankind has managed to get in this fallen life, but it would seem that the exceptions of success are few and far between - The mirage of their marriage is seen for the most part only in the Honeymoon... And after the honeymoon comes the hard and dirty work of the marriage itself, and yet it is here that real success can occur, at least to a degree...

A far better degree can be found in at least some monasteries...

And the real Marriage is found in union with God by the solitary, or by the social when he closes the doors of his closet to pray alone...

We are way past shallow notions of species designators [perceptions of noted similarities mentally discerned and given conceptual designation in words.] We are instead approaching the ontological commonality of man with humanity... And that commonality is noetic... Man CAN know the thoughts of another person... That is a part of being human... Directly, not inferentially... Paul judged the sinful man from his cell in Rome AS IF he were there seeing him... That is a fairly standard thing for a man in Christ with Apostolic Gifts to do...

So YOU say, but you have not shown this to be so...

AND -

'Tain't necessarily so...

INSTEAD

They are Divine Hypostases having the Ousia of God, distinct without separation, united but having differing Hypostatic Features:

NAMELY:

1: The UNBEGOTTENNESS of the Father
2: The BEGOTTENNESS of the Son who IS begotten...
3: The PROCESSION of the Holy Spirit.

The Father is the One God Who has BEGOTTEN the Son and PROCESSED the Holy Spirit into His OUSIA as co-equal with Himself before the creation of existence...

126 gallons is good...

Butt-loads is denigratory...

I would add that Father, Son and Holy Spirit MUST be Hypostases, because each of them can be shown to act hypostatically...

Your answer would be that they ARE, but are the SAME Hypostasis of the Father...

To which I would reply, they have the SAME Ousia with Him...

^ This was your response to this. v

You said:
It's not difficult to image two owners of a property.

I said:
Two owners (of a property) is two ousios (owning another thing besides THEM". THEY are not the property, and the property does not change the fact they're two human BEINGS. DUH.)

Then you (ignorantly and ridiculously) said:
That is YOUR presupposition...

You have not demonstrated its necessity...

To which, I'd stiil rightly say:

THE OWNERS ARE HUMAN BEINGS, which means they're ousios. The same would be true of divine BEINGS sharing wealth. It's a semantics nightmare, and you created it.

And here's the rest of that post by me:

Let's take a look, shall we?

Two individuated "persons" co-own... let's say... a large ranch property.

(Nevermind this. ANY property.)

Are those "persons" also individuated "beings"? Or are those two "persons" one "being" because they co-own a ranch?

Just because a species designation is shared, it doesn't mean every one of that species is combined as one being. Each are human beings or whatever other kind of being, sharing the same species designatiion.

Your argument for two "persons" owning the same property is nothing more than arguing that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are divine beings of the same species designation.

Multiple gods, not one being. And you're seriously making that the Orthodox position?

FAIL. Buttloads of FAIL. (Remember... one buttload is 126 US gallons.)

And your silly insistence is STILL a buttload of epic fail.

Arsenios

You said: property
It's not difficult to image two owners of a property.

I said:
Two owners (of a property) is two ousios (owning another thing besides THEM". THEY are not the property, and the property does not change the fact they're two human BEINGS. DUH.)

Then you (ignorantly and ridiculously) said:
That is YOUR presupposition...

You have not demonstrated its necessity...

To which, I'd stiil rightly say:

THE OWNERS ARE HUMAN BEINGS, which means they're ousios. The same would be true of divine BEINGS sharing wealth. It's a semantics nightmare, and you created it.

Well, you have simply run into the fact that God is not a ranch... Nor is God a human being... Nor are ranch properties owned by fallen human beings their ousia in the same way that the Ousia of God is God's wealth...

We are discussing the wealth of God, and using human terms to describe what cannot be apprehended, and in that vein, I simply said: "It is not hard to understand two people owning a single property." So you brought up two ranchers owning a ranch, and then when I replied to your ranch analogy, you accused me of calling God a ranch... That won't go away - And I really don't get why you can't simply acknowledge the ranch as your idea and not mine, and let it go... My idea was defining ousia as wealth, vs your idea as essence... In that pursuit, I simply shifted the focus from wealth to property and multiple ownership... And you further took it to the ranch... And followed up by accusing me of calling God a ranch...

Even if I did, it is still YOUR ranch, and MY property/wealth...

I mean, what is the big hairy deal?

Now of course, human beings owning a ranch are not divine Persons being their common Wealth... Your issue with me is that you insist that to call God a Person, one must assign to Him His very own private and separate Ousia... If the wealth of God IS His Essence, then Hypostasis/es is NOT His Essence... Unless you want to equate Wealth with Essence. But the matter of more than one hypostasis as person having one will and one mind and together having the Wealth that God HAS is not that hard to fathom...

Indeed, we are to turn away from our fallen existence and become one with God and none with our fallen selves... That we should become as Paul, "that it is no longer I, but Christ IN me..." for WE have the Nous of Christ... Multiple human beings having ONE Nous in Christ... Insofar as the limitations of fallen earthly existence allow... And neither you nor I KNOW what such limitations might be...

So the point of the property-ranch excursus was the placing of more than one hypostasis-Person in a common holding of wealth so as to illumine, however slightly, the idea of the feasability of more than one hypostasis having the same ousia qua wealth...

The REASON you are insisting that EACH Divine Hypostasis MUST have a separate will and mind is because that is what HUMAN BEINGS have... That is a false inference, you see, because we are describing not human beings, but Divine, and the meanings are theologically discerned, and not materially observed or deduced...

Back at ya!

Arsenios

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Well, you have simply run into the fact that God is not a ranch... Nor is God a human being...

I'm not the one who's had such illusions/delusions. I never insisted on any comparison to property or humans. That was you on both counts, comparing God to human beings owning property and insisting the property itself is the ousia.

Nor are ranch properties owned by fallen human beings their ousia in the same way that the Ousia of God is God's wealth...

Well... Then you're going to have to provide something besides insufficient creation-based metaphoric analogies. Where is any exegetical or historical evidence of such a primary and exclusive definition?

We are discussing the wealth of God, and using human terms to describe what cannot be apprehended, and in that vein, I simply said: "It is not hard to understand two people owning a single property."

Yes, that was and is the problem. You avoid the actual meaning of the word to justify your own. In no way can ousia be divorced from its defining of "be-ing"' even if depicted as that which a hypostasis "has".

The hypostasis is the "I"-ness and the ousia is the "Am"-ness. You're so intent on the bare assertion of three "I"s you're compromising the "Am" of God to less reality than His creation. Your God can't even have uncreated existence, though His creation exists.

The reason you have to emulate Neo-Platonism is because you don't understand multi-phenomenality and have to compensate in some manner.

So you brought up two ranchers owning a ranch, and then when I replied to your ranch analogy, you accused me of calling God a ranch...

You agreed it was an appropriated example.

That won't go away - And I really don't get why you can't simply acknowledge the ranch as your idea and not mine, and let it go...

I did. It was an example of your assertion, and it clearly demonstrated the fallacy of that assertion. There must BE a BEING to "have" property or wealth.

My idea was defining ousia as wealth, vs your idea as essence...

It's not "my" idea. "One being in three persons" is the historical Trinity mantra and battle cry. YOU're the one trying to skate on that with a weird side-step.

In that pursuit, I simply shifted the focus from wealth to property and multiple ownership... And you further took it to the ranch... And followed up by accusing me of calling God a ranch...

Even if I did, it is still YOUR ranch, and MY property/wealth...

And you're a human BEING. Any property you own will demonstate your existence. That's how property is ousia. Someone could drive by your huge ranch and know it isn't just undeveloped bare territory. Ousia is never been about the wealth itself, but about ownership.

I mean, what is the big hairy deal?

Your false presentation of an already-false doctrine from Patristics who missed ONE thing. Now it has to be a perpetual dental visit for anyone challenging the veracity of the classic Trinity and all its dilutions, diversions, pollutions, and perversions.

Now of course, human beings owning a ranch are not divine Persons being their common Wealth...

Right. And this has been my simple point all along. One cannot even use wealth or property to fully define ousia, especially for God who is not a human being.

But you can't use it validly deny God's ousia as His essence and being, either.

Your issue with me is that you insist that to call God a Person, one must assign to Him His very own private and separate Ousia...

It's part of the issue. And it's valid. God is a divine being. And all forms of orthodoxy have rightly said so for two millennia.

If the wealth of God IS His Essence, then Hypostasis/es is NOT His Essence...

Right. It's His substance. The sub-standing for His essence.

Unless you want to equate Wealth with Essence. But the matter of more than one hypostasis as person having one will and one mind and together having the Wealth that God HAS is not that hard to fathom...

But you're also the one who has constantly waffled on whether God has one mind, multiple minds, or no mind a'tall.

Indeed, we are to turn away from our fallen existence and become one with God and none with our fallen selves...

Yeah. Hypostatic translation. It's only a "becoming" because it's "being". The copula precedes the gerund.

That we should become as Paul, "that it is no longer I, but Christ IN me..." for WE have the Nous of Christ... Multiple human beings having ONE Nous in Christ... Insofar as the limitations of fallen earthly existence allow... And neither you nor I KNOW what such limitations might be...

And all humans are still individuated persons AND BEINGS; and our minds are not innately divine.

So the point of the property-ranch excursus was the placing of more than one hypostasis-Person in a common holding of wealth so as to illumine, however slightly, the idea of the feasability of more than one hypostasis having the same ousia qua wealth...

You haven't done so. You've only muddled the silliness with more silliness.

The REASON you are insisting that EACH Divine Hypostasis MUST have a separate will and mind is because that is what HUMAN BEINGS have...

No. It's because mutliple minds would mean multiple souls as multiple divine beings.

That is a false inference, you see, because we are describing not human beings, but Divine,

Right. So goofy analogies of wealth and human beings are fallacious. I'm not the one building doctrine on such things.

and the meanings are theologically discerned, and not materially observed or deduced...

Back at ya!

Arsenios

Then stop doing so just to justify the false notion of three hypostases. Everything is to justify three hypostases. You and most others will stop at nothing to justify that fallacy.

Arsenios

Arsenios said:
So the point of the property-ranch excursus was
the placing of more than one hypostasis-Person in a common holding of wealth
so as to illumine, however slightly, the idea of the feasability
of more than one hypostasis having the same ousia qua wealth...
You haven't done so.
You've only muddled the silliness with more silliness.

But I have...

Here - Let me make it even easier for you...

It is called "Share the wealth"...

Except there is infinite wealth...

Mutliple minds would mean multiple souls as multiple divine beings.

Here you are insisting that the rules of man apply to God, because you say that multiple minds would mean multiple souls as multiple divine beings...

Yours is a philosophic approach drawing inferences based on fallen human ontology and etiology...

But God is not man, so your insistence fails...

Logical inference is not an appropriate means of drawing theological conclusions... Logical inference is appropriate to philosophic conclusions, but the philosophers failed to discern the divine...

The Church USES logical inference to dismiss heresy...

She does not use it to establish doctrine...

Arsenios

Last edited:

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
But I have...

Yes, it's very easy. Multiple divine BEINGS sharing infinite wealth. Very Gnostic and/or Hinduisitic.

You've offered nothing but bare assertion and creation-based metaphoric analogy.

Here you are insisting that the rules of man apply to God,

because you say that multiple minds would mean multiple souls as multiple divine beings...

No. I've intuited through theosis for noesis, with confirmation of lexicography and exegesis. I "encounter" God in His timelessness while being hypostatically translated into Christ.

Cookie cutters aren't cookies. The express image OF a hypostasis is NOT another hypostasis. You begin with a fallacy because the Patristics began with a fallacy.

Yours is a philosophic approach drawing inferences based on fallen human ontology and etiology...

No. Your examples are all creation-based, drawing endless inferences from fallible men who "said so".

No. This is simply another of your bare assertions.

Logical inference is not an appropriate means of drawing theological conclusions...

THEN STOP!!!! A hypostasis is not a "person". Faith is a hypostasis.

The entire classic Trinity doctrine is inference, based on a false foundation of missing ONE thing.

Logical inference is appropriate to philosophic conclusions, but the philosophers failed to discern the divine...

As have you and the Patristics. Once three uni-phenomenal hypostases were demanded, now there's no dealing with the blind indoctrinates.

I was lost without Christ for 28 years because of your false Orthodox Theology Proper and its dilution. So I've quite personally encountered the non-salvific fall-out of your siamesed-triplet error.

Arsenios

Another bare assertion. At least address Opera Ad Intra and fontal plenitude/innascibility, paternity/filiation, and spiration/procession, etc. in a way that could debunk the Scholastic Latins.

You haven't and can't, so you're not ready for the challenge of the revelation that has reconciled both you and them to the truth you've both subtly missed for nearly two millennia while presuming complete infallibility in the midst of the chaos you've fostered for centuries.

Sigh.....................

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
But I have...

Here you are insisting that the rules of man apply to God, because you say that multiple minds would mean multiple souls as multiple divine beings...

Logical inference is not an appropriate means of drawing theological conclusions... Logical inference is appropriate to philosophic conclusions, but the philosophers failed to discern the divine...

Arsenios

In spite of all you've said or could ever say, the bottom line is this...

You can never profer anything beyond deductive and inferential bare assertion that God is a Multihypostatic Uni-Phenomenal Trinity instead of the truth that He is a Uni-Hypostatic Multi-Phenomenal Trinity.

All because several someones "said so" and then never continued to find out why Arians/Semi-Arians and Sabellians/Semi-Sabellians were only in the ditch on the other side of truth from your ditch.

The road of truth runs right between those ditches, reconciling both sides. Like the Arians and Sabellians, you fight to stay in your ditch without being able to see the road.

Soror1

The Greek middle is essential to this discussion, and is best described, from my Greek 101 days under Dr. Warren, in this ostensive example:

ACTIVE = I AM WASHING you...

PASSIVE = I AM BEING WASHED by another...

MIDDLE = I AM BATHING...

The middle is inward...
The active is outward...
The passive is FROM outward...

Welcome back from vacation!

Nice to see you here...

Again!

Arsenios

:kiss:

:)

Soror1

Well... It would be interesting to see how you deal with the nuances of all those contentions. Do you equate the Trinity to a family?

That's one way to look at it (assuming a sanctified mind--which I do believe those who were using it have), sure.

Do you consider the ousia as wealth apart from essence and be-ing?

Wealth is (in one sense) a metaphor for essence or be-ing. What is the wealth of God if not His be-ing--the divine life and all of its resources?

Anyway, there are different senses of hypostasis and ousia so let's look at it here:

The term ‘ὑπ όστασις’ had two basic groups of usages in the Greek language: “in one group of usages the term derives its purport from the middle voice of the verb ὑ φίστημι , and in another from the active voice. Hereafter it may mean either that which underlies, or that which gives support” (Prestige 163). In the former sense the term is synonymous with the term Ousia; “it meant a single object of which the individuality is disclosed by means of internal analysis, an object abstractly and philosophically a unit” (Prestige 163-167). In its second sense though, the term ‘ὑπ όστασις’ had a different emphasis; “here the emphasis falls not on the content but externally concrete independence, objectivity in relation to other objects” (Prestige 168-169). In all probability, the second sense was unknown to the Westerners; therefore, when hearing ‘ὑπ όστασις’, Westerners thought of Ousia, and not something like persona (Prestige, 1959). Still the potential for misunderstanding was enormous, because it was not enough to claim the unity of God, or the equality of the hypostases or personæ. It was necessary to explain the words from Scripture which ascribed to each of the three one particularity: ἀγεννησία, γέννησις and ἐκπόρευσις. The distribution of these particularities, though, could only make sense when holding on to the principle of monarchy; yet, how could this monarchy be explained? If the monarchy was rooted in the hypostasis of the Father, did not then the idea of eternal co-sharing of Ousia [wealth - Soror] by the other two hypostases allow for the principle of monarchy to be situated in the common Ousia [wealth - Soror]? Most likely, it was at exactly this point that the two theological traditions took two different paths. One was expressed by the Cappadocians, who alleged that the monarchy of the hypostasis of the Father constituted the key to the elaboration of the doctrine (Alexopoulos 150), while the other tradition, expressed by Augustine, referred to the unity of God—‘una substantia’—as the fundament of the Trinitarian doctrine (McKenna, 1963)...

...The terminological tradition of the Cappadocians advanced “the position of the objective triplicity of God as the basis of their thought, and from there, having presumed the equality of the three hypostases, went to the assertion that these three hypostases must constitute a single identical Ousia [wealth - Soror]” (Prestige 242). Yet, why was this order of thought of great importance for them? Clearly, this notional prerequisite for the further doctrinal elaboration was concerned with stating the ontologisation of the category of person, an idea derived from the Scriptural source. This means that the Cappadocians’ terminology overcame the division between person and substance by having construed the category of person/hypostasis as an ontological rather than as a functional entity (Colins 144). The category of person was by no means a passive attribute/accident of the being/Ousia [wealth - Soror]; instead, it was an active owner of being [wealth - Soror](Alexopoulos 154). For this reason the Cappadocians use the doctrine of ἀρχή, according to which there is a logical, but not a temporal priority between three divine Persons; the divine ὑπόστασις of the Father (ἀγέννητος) is not superior to the hypostases of the Son and the Holy Spirit with reference to their modes of existence (γεννητός, ἐκπορευόμενος) (Prestige 245-249). Basil’s treatise (de Spir. Sanct. 63)advances this idea considerably; he describes the relationship between the divine Persons by using the phrase “be with” (συνεῖναι) instead of “be in” (ἐνεῖναι). Heat, for instance, is said to reside ‘in’ a hot iron (from which it is separable) but ‘with’ the actual fire. Of course, the explicit intent of this metaphor is to express the intimate, inherent, and inseparable relation between the divine Persons. Implicitly, however, it underlines the objectivity of the divine Persons (against any monistic representation) and their equality (against any subordinationism). Yet, this idea of Basil the Great was often misrepresented as an inauspicious slide of his doctrinal elaboration into pluralism/tritheism (Prestige 282-287). Resulting from this misunderstanding, tritheism was often imputed to the Cappadocian Fathers; such imputations, however, strike as naïve unwarranted conclusions, because Cappadocians complied their metaphors of three distinctive hypostases with the conception that divine Persons contain each other (χωρητικός, περιέχεσθαι) (Gregory of Nyssa, Adv. Ar. Et Sab. 12). According to this concept, each hypostasis makes a headway in the next hypostasis (from the Father through the Son to the Holy Spirit) and simultaneously a back motion (from the Holy Spirit through the Son back to the Father), because the hypostases are receptive and permeative with each other (Prestige 289). Thus, a new ontology developed in which being God means to be in communion (Zizioulas, 1985). Orthodoxy is only preserved in such terms.

What is necessary to note concerning Augustine’s reception of the doctrinal elaborations of the Cappadocians is his acknowledgement of the dissimilarities between the Cappadocians and the Latins, which neither alarmed nor surprised him (de Trin. VII. 4 (7)). As Prestige indicates, “for Augustine both the Greek and Latin doctrine was legitimate, provided that such expressions are understood only in a mystery, for God can be more truly conceived than expressed, and exists more truly than He can be conceived; the transcendence of the godhead surpasses the powers of ordinary discourse” (237). Yet, what motivated his choice to couch the Trinitarian doctrine in different terms? And what were its implications? Importantly, Augustine admitted that he did not really see why the term “three Persons” should be used (Gunton 40). He stated: “this formula was decided upon, in order that we might be able to give some kind of answer when we were asked, what are the three4” (Gunton 40). He further states that “the particulars in the same Trinity that are properly predicated of each person are by no means predicated of them as they are in themselves (ad se ipsa), but in their relation either to one another or to the creature (ad alios), and it is therefore manifest that they are predicated relatively, not substantially” (qtd. Gunton 40-41). Gunton sees the difference between the Augustinian and the Cappadocian doctrine in that “for the latter the three Persons are what they are in their relation, and therefore the relations qualify them ontologically” (41). Strictly speaking, for the Cappadocians it is the relatedness of hypostases that constitutes the substance [wealth - Soror] [6], whereas for Augustine an unknown substance [wealth - Soror] supports the three persons (Gunton 43)... http://www.bogoslov.ru/en/text/4213608.html
Either way we get to wealth--"Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your...exceedingly great reward."

:)

And do you not the see the conflation/combination of perichoresis and hypostatic union by insisting Father, Son, and Holy as in hypostatic union rather than perichoresis.
?

I haven't seen where our dear Arsenios does that unless I've missed something. Merely speaking of hypostases in union isn't the Hypostatic Union.

Yes, I should have clarified that I personally distinguish between the synonyms hypostaTize and hypostaSize, which would need a brief explanation.

Shoot!

Last edited:

Soror1

Another bare assertion. At least address Opera Ad Intra and fontal plenitude/innascibility, paternity/filiation, and spiration/procession, etc. in a way that could debunk the Scholastic Latins.

Why would he do that? There is a handful of (rather rabidly) fundie Orthodox and Arsenios doesn't strike me as one of them--the well-balanced others see the two either as an issue of language/semantics (not as glossing it but as when it's studied in its (enormous) depth) or as complementary, not contradictory.

The real issue is the addition to the Ecumenical Creed (which was wrong) and the overreach of the Papacy (also wrong).