ECT Our salvation, by the will of God or the will of man?

nikolai_42

What God does, is certainly by His will He does it __ likewise with man.

The implication in the OP is that the result of what God wills with be determined by man's. "I set before you . . .Choose".

I still would ask "What happens if no one chooses life?"

Could that passage not be largely revelatory (i.e. reveal what is in one's heart) rather than merely prescriptive (i.e. do it regardless)? In other words, is it not possible that God had already worked in the hearts of those who would choose life? It's still a command and still a choice, but if "The word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it." doesn't that point to the power and ability of conformity being in the living, active Word of God? That's why Hebrews 4:12 (as I read it) places all the emphasis on the Word itself (not just Himself).

And it was one Augustine who said something expressing much the same thing in a different way :

Grant what thou commandest and then command what thou wilt.

It's not the will of man that is in view, it's the Word of God.

Last edited:

Cross Reference

I still would ask "What happens if no one chooses life?"

We must let it say what it says that death can only be the result.

Could that passage not be largely revelatory (i.e. reveal what is in one's heart) rather than merely prescriptive (i.e. do it regardless)? [/quote]

Can obedience to any command, ever be revelatory? When God requires our obedience for His ultimate intentions to come to fruition, how should we act? How should Adam have acted? Why? How did Jesus act? Why?

Last edited:

nikolai_42

Death can only be the result. We must let it say what it says.

Could that passage not be largely revelatory (i.e. reveal what is in one's heart) rather than merely prescriptive (i.e. do it regardless)?

Can obedience to any command, ever be revelatory? When God requires our obedience for His ultimate intentions to come to fruition, how should we act? How should Adam have acted? Why? How did Jesus act? Why?

I'm pretty sure the rich young ruler Jesus encountered would have denied that there was any revelatory value in the command. Until, that is, he went away sorrowful....

Dialogos

"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing:therefore [you] choose life, that both you and your seed may live" Deuteronomy 30:19 (KJV)

"may" being the operative word that speaks of it as being a lifestyle, not to be departed from.

Cross Reference,

How did Moses know the following?

For I know how rebellious and stubborn you are. Behold, even today while I am yet alive with you, you have been rebellious against the LORD. How much more after my death!
28 Assemble to me all the elders of your tribes and your officers, that I may speak these words in their ears and call heaven and earth to witness against them.
29 For I know that after my death you will surely act corruptly and turn aside from the way that I have commanded you. And in the days to come evil will befall you, because you will do what is evil in the sight of the LORD, provoking him to anger through the work of your hands."
(Deu 31:27-29 ESV)

Cross Reference

"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing:therefore [you] choose life, that both you and your seed may live" Deuteronomy 30:19 (KJV)

"may" being the operative word that speaks of it as being a lifestyle, not to be departed from.

Here is another example of man's responsibility for his salvation to be made effective in his present day life that points up the need for having a sustaining vision for his eternal salvation purposed in God. Pondering this should raise the question "what is salvation that it is purposed for God?":

"That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God" Colossians 1:10 (KJV)

It is plain to see the "Natural" of Deut 6:3 ff to the "Spiritual" of Rom.8:1 ff, connection.

oatmeal

I always ready to discuss with those who know what "towers" look like.

Good.

It is God's will that all men be saved, I Timothy 2:4, but it is up to each individual to choose to meet the requirements to receive that salvation, Romans 10:9-10

There

Sheila B

Amen!

Dialogos

Why do you ask?
Because I want to know if you can recognize the very clear implications of that statement.

Moses, the one you quoted in the OP, just a chapter later tells the nation that he knows there stubborn and rebellious hearts and therefore they will fail.

If their salvation is all up to them to choose, that's not good news, is it?

Cross Reference

Because I want to know if you can recognize the very clear implications of that statement.

Moses, the one you quoted in the OP, just a chapter later tells the nation that he knows there stubborn and rebellious hearts and therefore they will fail.

If their salvation is all up to them to choose, that's not good news, is it?

Why wouldn't it be good news unless they knew they had to abandon their lives to God and they didn't want to? Can you not see a heart issue in this that God was after from them by the conditional promises He made?

BTW and FWIW, Being born again never changes the challenge when attempting to abandon one's life to God. There is still a dying to self that needs be accomplished.

OMT: They weren't the words of Moses I quoted.