Open Theism Stirs Controversy on College Campuses

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by STONE

Godrulz,
I can explain it in a multitude of ways, but there is no guarantee of understanding.
To be fair, I am not entirely sure that either I or scripture can allow you to conceptualize timelessness. The Holy Spirit can allow this.

Further, such a state as timelessness is not for man to "experience" or "know" outside of the revelation of the Holy Spirit. We have a relationship with God to grow in; timelessness is not what we seek.
Translation...

I can explain it but not in a logically coherent way.
To be fair, I have no idea how I or Scripture could conceptualize a logically incoherent idea but the Holy Spirit is smarter than I am and since I like this timeless idea so much, it must be the Holy Spirit telling me that it is true and so it is.
Further, the nonsensical idea of timelessness cannot be understood and so stop trying, relationship with God is what really matters, never mind the fact that relationships take time to develop.

Stone,

Forgive my sarcasm, its not personal, I'm just trying to make the point that existence presupposes time; to suggest otherwise is completely incoherent and self-contradictory. Open Theists do not limit God's existence to within time ONLY as you stated earlier, nor does God exist outside of time. Time is not a place or a location of some sort that can be entered in or out of. You cannot be in something that does not exist nor can you be outside it. What we refer too as time is simply the duration and sequence of events. That's all it is, it’s a convention of language that refers to the sequence of events, nothing more.
And I do not have to read these ideas into the text of Scripture. There is no Hebrew tradition of a “timeless” God, but of an eternal (infinite time) one. The idea of timelessness started with the Greeks not with the Bible and so it is a valid point to bring up in regard to this discussion. In fact, it was primarily Augustine who introduced the idea of God’s existence outside of time to Christianity. He intentionally twisted all sorts of Scriptural passages to make them agree with Aristotle’s conception of an utterly immutable God; the non-temporal nature of God flows logically from that premise which is also not Biblical.

Resting in Him,
Clete

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Very good insights, Clete. If Stone would dig into some philosophy Journals and trace the history of his ideas, he would see that they are not explicitly from Scripture. The most straightforward reading of Scripture is that God and man have histories that intersected after creation. Augustine certainly was influenced by his former Greek philosophies. We need to diligently study the history of doctrinal formation and soundly exegete Scripture, including word studies (eternal, everlasting, etc.). I asked for a proof text for timelessness. The few I have seen can readily and better be understood as an endless duration of time (sequence/succession) vs so-called timelessness.

STONE

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Translation...

I can explain it but not in a logically coherent way.
To be fair, I have no idea how I or Scripture could conceptualize a logically incoherent idea but the Holy Spirit is smarter than I am and since I like this timeless idea so much, it must be the Holy Spirit telling me that it is true and so it is.
Further, the nonsensical idea of timelessness cannot be understood and so stop trying, relationship with God is what really matters, never mind the fact that relationships take time to develop.

Stone,

Forgive my sarcasm, its not personal, I'm just trying to make the point that existence presupposes time; to suggest otherwise is completely incoherent and self-contradictory. Open Theists do not limit God's existence to within time ONLY as you stated earlier, nor does God exist outside of time. Time is not a place or a location of some sort that can be entered in or out of. You cannot be in something that does not exist nor can you be outside it. What we refer too as time is simply the duration and sequence of events. That's all it is, it’s a convention of language that refers to the sequence of events, nothing more.
And I do not have to read these ideas into the text of Scripture. There is no Hebrew tradition of a “timeless” God, but of an eternal (infinite time) one. The idea of timelessness started with the Greeks not with the Bible and so it is a valid point to bring up in regard to this discussion. In fact, it was primarily Augustine who introduced the idea of God’s existence outside of time to Christianity. He intentionally twisted all sorts of Scriptural passages to make them agree with Aristotle’s conception of an utterly immutable God; the non-temporal nature of God flows logically from that premise which is also not Biblical.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete,
You seem to have more interest in being sarcastic than looking for forgiveness.

As I said, the nature of God can be explained...but the carnal mind does not understand Him.

You are wrong about Hebrew theology, which closely resembles calvinism in many aspects regarding God's creation and nature.

Also the idea of a timeless God started long before the Greeks.

The truth is this "open" idea has no legs to stand on so it's proponents are now resorting to "that's from Greeks" or "that's from Augustine" to shore up it's lack of foundation.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

You are wrong about Hebrew theology, which closely resembles calvinism in many aspects regarding God's creation and nature.

Also the idea of a timeless God started long before the Greeks.

The truth is this "open" idea has no legs to stand on so it's proponents are now resorting to "that's from Greeks" or "that's from Augustine" to shore up it's lack of foundation.

Hebrew, OT theology resembles Calvinism? This sounds like circular reasoning/begging the question. Extreme Calvinism does not even agree with John Calvin himself.

Greek philosophy talks about a timeless God (Platonic, etc.). What source predates this?

"The Openness of God" by Pinnock, Sanders, Rice, etc. is one of the original modern books on the subject. It looks at the Scriptural, philosophical, historical, practical basis of this view. The Greek roots are documentable, but a minor part of the debate.

Millard Erickson: "What did God know and when did He know it?" opposes the Open View, but attempted to look at it fairly. He recognized that the Open and Classical view had philosophical influences and that there are valid points and Scriptures on each side. His attempt at academic integrity was commendable, though his bias and weak arguments still won the day leaving him to conclude the traditional view had stronger support.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Clete,
You seem to have more interest in being sarcastic than looking for forgiveness.
Clete does not need to seek forgiveness. He has already found it.

STONE

Originally posted by godrulz

Hebrew, OT theology resembles Calvinism? This sounds like circular reasoning/begging the question. Extreme Calvinism does not even agree with John Calvin himself.

Greek philosophy talks about a timeless God (Platonic, etc.). What source predates this?
There are aspecs of classical Judaism that resemble calvinism; if you had studied classical Judaism you would know they believe:

*Everything in the universe is under God's control -- from the quantum to the cosmic. And if God knows and controls everything, then history is a controlled process leading to a destination.
*Everything in the universe was created by God and only by God. Judaism completely rejects the dualistic notion that evil was created by Satan or some other deity. All comes from God. As Isaiah said, "I am the Lord, and there is none else. I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil. I am the Lord, that does all these things." (Is. 45:6-7).
*God knows all things, past, present and future. He knows our thoughts.
*God transcends time. He has no beginning and no end.

Early eastern religions talk about a timeless spirit and predate greek philosophy by nearly 1000 years.
Early Egyptian religion may even predate the eastern religions in this idea by 500-1500 years.

It seems that OV'ers deny anything and everything as an defensive tactic for their view.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

There are aspecs of classical Judaism that resemble calvinism; if you had studied classical Judaism you would know they believe:

*Everything in the universe is under God's control -- from the quantum to the cosmic. And if God knows and controls everything, then history is a controlled process leading to a destination.
*Everything in the universe was created by God and only by God. Judaism completely rejects the dualistic notion that evil was created by Satan or some other deity. All comes from God. As Isaiah said, "I am the Lord, and there is none else. I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil. I am the Lord, that does all these things." (Is. 45:6-7).

Early eastern religions talk about a timeless spirit and predate greek philosophy by nearly 1000 years.
Early Egyptian religion may even predate the eastern religions in this idea by 500-1500 years.

It seems that OV'ers deny anything and everything as an defensive tactic for their view.

Are these quotes from Jewish sources or are you summarizing something you heard in your own words? References?

Much of classical Judaism has added to the Scriptures. They had hundreds of laws that were not biblical (could not brush your teeth on the Sabbath, etc.). Their views on eschatology, the Messiah, triune God, etc. fell short since they did not have the full NT revelation. Judaism has not always been doctrinally correct or interpreted Scripture properly. Jesus dealt with this problem many times.

STONE

Originally posted by godrulz

Are these quotes from Jewish sources or are you summarizing something you heard in your own words? References?

Much of classical Judaism has added to the Scriptures. They had hundreds of laws that were not biblical (could not brush your teeth on the Sabbath, etc.). Their views on eschatology, the Messiah, triune God, etc. fell short since they did not have the full NT revelation. Judaism has not always been doctrinally correct or interpreted Scripture properly. Jesus dealt with this problem many times.

The points I made about classical Judaism are from my studies (over time) on the subject. Look into Judaism for yourself if you can't believe me on the points I made, and test them.

I am not implying that Judaism has not added to, misinterpreted, and even perverted their own religion (especially the Pharasidic commentaries). However, the Judaic points I listed I would agree with.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

There are aspects of classical Judaism that resemble Calvinism; if you had studied classical Judaism you would know they believe:

Much of this doesn't have to be interpreted as teaching a timeless God, first of all, but even if it did where are you getting this from (as godrulz has already asked)? Please site your source.

Early eastern religions talk about a timeless spirit and predate Greek philosophy by nearly 1000 years.
I knew that you were going to say this! This is unbelievable!
Please site one single historical link that anything Eastern or Egyptian has to Christian theology. You can draw a line by connecting the historical dots from Calvin to Luther to Augustine to Plato (with a few minor connections in-between), but no such connection can be made to anything Eastern or Egyptian, especially when working backward from reformed theology. No such historical connection exists.
The simple fact is that you cannot quote any source that is not pagan that accounts for the idea that God exists outside of time. I personally don't know of any at all that predate Plato and Aristotle. I suppose that it is possible that Aristotle picked something up from Eastern philosophy or from Egyptian belief systems but if he did there is no record of it that I've ever heard of, and even if there were record of it, it wouldn't help your case any.

The bottom line is that the idea of timeless existence is a logical incoherent, rationally impossible concept and so it really makes zero difference who came up with the notion first. It's a matter a simple logic… That which must be false, cannot be true.

God's existence itself is an event. It is an event of eternal duration and every other event has been subsequent to His existence. And so there is both duration and sequence (time) associated with that event, that's what make it a real event. Without duration or sequence an event is not a real event, the event does not exist in reality. Existence presupposes duration at least, and if there is another event then sequence as well.
It is logically inescapable that anyone or anything that is real, including God, has been real for some duration of time. Therefore the idea that God is timeless is not true because of the rational impossibility of the contrary.

Stone, come on now. I used sarcasm in my previous post to make a substantive point and tried my best to communicate to you that I was not trying to attack you personally and you still managed to take it personally, at least to some degree and so I will avoid sarcasm with you in the future. I have not engaged you in a debate before now and so I'm still trying to get a good read on where you stand and on your style of debate. My contact with you in the past has given me the impression that you are both intelligent and articulate. You ask really good questions and don't seem to get needlessly emotional and that is all really good, but you are going to go down hill really fast if you persist with this sort of nonsense.
I, for one, deny nothing. If I make a statement that is wrong, correct me. If I make a good point, respond to it or admit that you cannot. Just because I make a point that you can't respond to, doesn't mean you have to suddenly drop everything and instantly become an Open Theist, but arguing just to argue or making silly statements like this one just won't cut it. Statements like this are obviously untrue to begin with, and only serve to make you look desperate (not that you actually are) and weaken your position. Emotional arguments are fine as long as they have some substantive point to make. Emotional pot shots only serve to erode your own credibility.

Resting in Him,
Clete

STONE

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Much of this doesn't have to be interpreted as teaching a timeless God, first of all, but even if it did where are you getting this from (as godrulz has already asked)? Please site your source.

I knew that you were going to say this! This is unbelievable!
Please site one single historical link that anything Eastern or Egyptian has to Christian theology. You can draw a line by connecting the historical dots from Calvin to Luther to Augustine to Plato (with a few minor connections in-between), but no such connection can be made to anything Eastern or Egyptian, especially when working backward from reformed theology. No such historical connection exists.
The simple fact is that you cannot quote any source that is not pagan that accounts for the idea that God exists outside of time. I personally don't know of any at all that predate Plato and Aristotle. I suppose that it is possible that Aristotle picked something up from Eastern philosophy or from Egyptian belief systems but if he did there is no record of it that I've ever heard of, and even if there were record of it, it wouldn't help your case any.

The bottom line is that the idea of timeless existence is a logical incoherent, rationally impossible concept and so it really makes zero difference who came up with the notion first. It's a matter a simple logic… That which must be false, cannot be true.

God's existence itself is an event. It is an event of eternal duration and every other event has been subsequent to His existence. And so there is both duration and sequence (time) associated with that event, that's what make it a real event. Without duration or sequence an event is not a real event, the event does not exist in reality. Existence presupposes duration at least, and if there is another event then sequence as well.
It is logically inescapable that anyone or anything that is real, including God, has been real for some duration of time. Therefore the idea that God is timeless is not true because of the rational impossibility of the contrary.

Stone, come on now. I used sarcasm in my previous post to make a substantive point and tried my best to communicate to you that I was not trying to attack you personally and you still managed to take it personally, at least to some degree and so I will avoid sarcasm with you in the future. I have not engaged you in a debate before now and so I'm still trying to get a good read on where you stand and on your style of debate. My contact with you in the past has given me the impression that you are both intelligent and articulate. You ask really good questions and don't seem to get needlessly emotional and that is all really good, but you are going to go down hill really fast if you persist with this sort of nonsense.
I, for one, deny nothing. If I make a statement that is wrong, correct me. If I make a good point, respond to it or admit that you cannot. Just because I make a point that you can't respond to, doesn't mean you have to suddenly drop everything and instantly become an Open Theist, but arguing just to argue or making silly statements like this one just won't cut it. Statements like this are obviously untrue to begin with, and only serve to make you look desperate (not that you actually are) and weaken your position. Emotional arguments are fine as long as they have some substantive point to make. Emotional pot shots only serve to erode your own credibility.

Resting in Him,
Clete
Clete,
I not taking your sarcasm personally, but observing that sarcasm is more important to you than forgiveness.
Any OV argument presented appears to have now deteriorated into denial: "well that doesn't mean anything" or "that was influenced from another philosophy". I don't see any OV question or point left standing, if you do then present it...now; that is all I am looking for. Emotionality has nothing to do with it.

The Judaic ideas I presented to you are nothing new. Look for yourself into most any commentary on classic Judaism or the Talmud. Or ask your local orthodox rabbi if he will talk to you.

Where did you get the idea that I believe eastern or Egyptian religion had influence on Christian theology? My point was the idea predates the Greeks. The connection between Christian theology and timelessness is Judaism, not Greece.

STONE

Knight, Godrulz, Clete, and any who consider themselves OVers, please answer this question:

Could God exist without time,
or is His existence (in some way) dependent upon time?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Knight, Godrulz, Clete, and any who consider themselves OVers, please answer this question:

God cannot exist without duration. Nothing can. And time is duration. Any other defintion of time is an invention of man, and is nothing more than a concept. And, being such, it does not actually exist.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Time is an aspect of God's existence as is His will, intellect, and emotions. They are not things, but a reality experienced by any personal being, including God. God exists, period. He is not 'dependent' on time, but this does not mean He is timeless. Any personal being that thinks, acts, feels, must do so with sequence, succession, duration= time. You cannot intelligently listen to all of Beethoven's Symphonies in one instantaneous moment. 'Eternal now' is incoherent.

Jn. 1:1

In the beginning (cf. Gen. 1:1)= when there was a beginning to the created universe...

was the Word...the imperfect past tense is a continuous tense...when there was a beginning to our universe, the Word was already existing...from everlasting to everlasting...this implies duration was passing for the eternal Word that intersected with our space-time universe. Time was not created at this point. It is a fundamental, eternal aspect of reality for God and man.

the Word was with God...He was face to face with the Father from eternity...love, communication, fellowship all require 'time' to be coherent.

the Word was God...He was God in the past, is God in the present, and will still be God in the future (continuous tense=imperfect in Greek='was').

Jn. 8:58

Before Abraham was, I AM.

Before Abraham came into being, Jesus preexisted as the eternal Word. "I am " does not mean timeless but an existence with no beginning that continues with no end (everlasting=eternal).

A Hebrew word study of everlasting/eternal will support everlasting duration, not timelessness. If some later Jewish commentators introduced timelessness (which is still not obvious based on what you have shown us), it still does not negate the essential meanings of the words in context and historical, biblical meaning.

STONE

So far OVers have:

Sozo: Time is not a thing
Lighthouse: Duration exists; God cannot exist w/o duration; concepts do not exist.
Godrulz: Time is an integral aspect of God's existence, time existed before the universe so time always existed, all experience requires time, eternal=everlasting.

Anyone else?

God_Is_Truth

do you mean "could God exist without duration?"

LightSon

I notice how folks like to define terms ("time" in this case) so as to indirectly support their position with respect to OV or not-OV (e.g. Calvinism). It's a little transparent IMO.

This really isn't how doctrine should be developed. Is it?

"When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound and time shall be no more....."

Whoops. I guess the lyricist got that one wrong. Of course developing doctrine based on hymns is probably suspect too.

When you were a child, did you ever play the "game", My_dad_can_beat_up_your_dad? I actually remember doing this.
"My_dad_can_beat_up_your_dad with one hand tied beind his back."

"Oh yeah! Well My_dad_can_beat_up_your_dad with both hands tied behind his back...""
etc.

I was fun. It was a way to respect out Dads.

We used to play a similar game with God's abilities. One of my favorites was "God could make us all not to exist and then bring us all back into existence without us even knowing anything had happened."

I like playing My_God_is_so_big,_He_could_fill-in-the-blank. It is a fun game to play and seems to honor God's sovereignty and omnipotence.

It is sad to think that God might be less than omnipotent(i.e. the OV position). What if God and Q (on Star Trek) got in a fight. Q has already demonstrated his power over life and death. Q would have to win the fight because he can control time, whereas God sadly cannot.

If I were an OVer, I wouldn't want to play My_God_can_beat_up_your_God.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LightSon

It is sad to think that God might be less than omnipotent(i.e. the OV position). What if God and Q (on Star Trek) got in a fight. Q has already demonstrated his power over life and death. Q would have to win the fight because he can control time, whereas God sadly cannot.

If I were an OVer, I wouldn't want to play My_God_can_beat_up_your_God.

Omnipotence is not an issue with OV or non-OV. God is all-powerful, but He does not always exercise His all-power. He also cannot do illogical or self-contradictory things.

Q is science fiction. What does it mean to control time? Time travel is also specious. God did make the sun or earth stand still. Time is unidirectional. God cannot go into the past and change it. It is fixed. God can change and influence the future. It is open, not fixed.

Omniscience is the issue with the Open view. Logically, God knows everything knowable. The question is what is an object of knowledge? Is the future known as a certainty or a possibility?