Open Theism Stirs Controversy on College Campuses

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by STONE

If time is the measurement of duration, then does duration "exist"?

it's not a created thing so it certainly doesn't exist in that sense. however, it's a very real thing otherwise you couldn't measure it, so in that sense it must exist for it is there. but since it's not really a thing and not something you make or can manipulate, it in a sense doesn't exist. it's there and yet not there. it is simply a function of reality. the only way you would never have duration is if absolutely nothing ever existed and absolutely nothing would ever exist for in such a case there would be no "reality" at all.

To clarify your use of terms... Are thoughts, ideas, or concepts "created"; or do these not "exist"?

they are there, but they don't exist.

ex·ist ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g-zst)
intr.v. ex·ist·ed, ex·ist·ing, ex·ists
To have actual being; be real.
To have life; live: one of the worst actors that ever existed.
To live at a minimal level; subsist: barely enough income on which to exist.
To continue to be; persist: old customs that still exist in rural areas.
To be present under certain circumstances or in a specified place; occur: “Wealth and poverty exist in every demographic category” (Thomas G. Exter)

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Duration is not a 'thing'. It is an interval between time A and time B. It involves sequence and succession. Time is unidirectional moving from the potential future to the fixed past. Every thought, act, or feeling involves a passage of time=sequence/duration/succession. I would not make a self-evident concept so abstract and complicated. Timelessness or 'eternal now' are not logical concepts based on revelation or reality.

STONE

Originally posted by godrulz Timelessness or 'eternal now' are not logical concepts based on revelation or reality.

Of course it is logical, quite understandable, and the only reasonable conclusion based on revelation and reality.

When one makes sweeping statements like "this is not logical" that proves nothing, other than it is not logical as you currently understand it.
Show scriptural evidence supporting your position if possible.

STONE

Originally posted by godrulz
Time is unidirectional moving from the potential future to the fixed past. Every thought, act, or feeling involves a passage of time=sequence/duration/succession.
This is correct.
However all has it's Beginning and End in God.

AiryStottel

To godrulz:

YOU WROTE
Your analogy about the child is consistent with the Open view. God knows the past and present perfectly. He knows all future possibilities and contingencies. He would be able to predict the child would eat the cookie. However, there is a possibility that the house would burn down as mom left, the child would have a seizure, or Dad would come home at that moment. The child would normally eat the cookie (probable), but under those possible scenarios, he might not have the opportunity

MY RESPONSE
In my post, I said that the mother was quasi-omniscient, unlike God Who is omniscient, Who is infinite knowledge. If as you and I believe that God is the creator of all that was, is or will be, God has knowledge of what God is creating AND its effects. Infinite knowledge does not mean that God only knows the temperature and salinity of every drop of water in every ocean on this planet, but on all planets, and that is just one microscopic aspect of infinite knowledge. Christ put it succinctly and simple for all to understand, not just the intellectuals:

“Mt: 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a small coin? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father's knowledge.”

They do not fall without God’s knowledge. God knew before they fell. And again in Matthew:

“10:30 Even all the hairs of your head are counted.”

And again in Luke:
16:15 And he said to them, "You justify yourselves in the sight of others, but God knows your hearts; for what is of human esteem is an abomination in the sight of God.”

How does God know our innermost feelings and thoughts? Because of infinite knowledge. Nothing, absolutely nothing can be hidden from God, not the past, not the present and not the future. Infinite knowledge has no limitations, otherwise it is not infinite knowledge. Dancing around this attribute to satisfy and tickle the ears of those who do not want to face God’s reality regarding the nature of God, only satisfy those who bathe in false pride. They are so proud that they know more about God than God knows about God’s being.

YOU WROTE
Exhaustive foreknowledge of future free will contingencies is logically incompatible with free will (incompatibilism is the theology; you believe compatibilism). Calvinists get around this by claiming God predestines everything. This would solve the problem, but at the expense of genuine freedom. Your view is simple foreknowledge and is not explainable. It must assume that the future is already there to know.

MY RESPONSE
Again, you are confusing omniscience with pre-ordaining. For example, God does not pre-ordain evil. Evil exists because God truly gives us freedom of the will. God is infinitely good and is infinite love. God wills to propagate goodness (Godness), but if God pre-ordains everything, then God pre-ordained nothing but robots. Robots do not have free will, creatures do. Free will is God’s precious gift to us, given to us so we CAN share in God’s infinite glory, the purpose of our existence, whether or not we believe it, whether or not we choose to. It is there as Christ exemplified it in the parable of the weeds among the wheat in Matthew:
"13:30 Let them grow together until harvest; then at harvest time I will say to the harvesters, "First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles for burning; but gather the wheat into my barn." "

Very simply put regarding free will, there are those who righteously exercise free will, and those who wrongly prefer to do evil. That simple parable explains that God gives us free will to choose good or evil. There is nothing in the parable that denotes any pre-ordaining. Again, it is a parable, meant to explain a divine truth to many people, most of whom were illiterate.

YOU WROTE
This also less obviously negates freedom or it is impossible to explain how God knows the future that is not there to know.
MY RESPONSE
You want to know “how God knows the future that is not there to know.” It is not there to know - for whom? For you and me. So because you and I don’t know the future, you would reduce God to a creature who doesn't know the future. Creatures are creations of God, right? So now you want God to have creature attributes. We do not have God’s knowledge, we reason discursively, but God as I repeat again, is pure act, and to say that God is waiting to see what happens is derogating God's attribute of omniscience.
Because God is infinite love, God would love to create beings identical to God, but that would be impossible because as much as God would love to, God cannot create another innascent being, God cannot create another infinite and eternal being. By definition alone, by understanding the true nature of God, we cannot compare creature knowledge with God’s knowledge, or what is even worse, we cannot create a model based on creature knowledge, and then propose you have created a model of God's mind.

YOU WROTE:
You beg the question by assuming that omniscience means knowing the future as an actuality. Omnipotence is not limited by God not being able to do logically contradictory or absurd things. Likewise, omniscience (we both defend omniscience, but understand it differently) is not limited by God not knowing a nothing or something not logically knowable. Either you must give up genuine freedom, or exhaustive foreknowlege.

MY RESPONSE
We think discursively. No food in the house, so now I must go shopping. God as I mentioned is pure act - no discursiveness in God. God creates out of God’s infinite love. We think discursively, but God creates and propagates love in a simultaneously whole act, by that I mean that God simply IS, not God WILL BE, or God WILL DO, or God WILL KNOW something new to God, and most importantly as I mentioned, there is no discursive in God. Absolutely nothing is new to God, else God would not be God. If you are of Heaven, that is, if you know God as God truly is, God’s will would be the only consideration uppermost in your being. No one can understand the mind of God, unless they had a mind that was greater than God’s infinite mind. But of those things that are knowable of God, we should not confuse or sidetrack our purpose in acquiring knowledge of God’s attributes. The purpose of knowing more about God is to grow in wisdom, age, and grace, not to puff ourselves with false pride. I am not judging one single person, but merely making a note of caution for all of us to bear in mind.

YOU WROTE
To make this philosophical discussion a salvific issue shows a lack of understanding of biblical salvation. We are saved by faith in the person and work of Christ, not profound theological insights (a minimum level of understanding of God's nature/attributes, Christ's Deity, etc. is essential).

MY RESPONSE
Christ’s mission was to teach what he knew about God from his studies in the Jewish temple and elsewhere throughout his life. For example, in Matthew 22:34 - 40::
“When the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together, and one of them (a scholar of the law) tested him by asking,
"Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?"
He said to him, "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.
This is the greatest and the first commandment.
The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."

Where did Jesus indicate that you must lobotomize your gift of reason? On the contrary, you must love God with all your mind, not just a part of it.

YOU WROTE
Who do you say Jesus Christ is? Your answer will determine whether you are a Christian. Philosophical concepts about God as 'pure act' is not the ultimate issue.
MY RESPONSE
These questions are pharsaical. You answer one, then you have to answer another, then another, until you lose track of the purpose in life. Who do YOU say Muhammad was, who do YOU say the Buddha was, who do you say Mahatma Ganhi was? I’m not going down any of those roads, but I can tell you all I know about God - and Jesus was right on track, if you LISTEN with an open mind. LISTEN to what Christ said were the two most important things in life. If you truly believe in Christ’s teachings, then they have to be put in practice. Practice makes perfect, or as close to perfection as we are able to willingly cooperate with God’s grace. I consider myself a true Christian, one who truly desires to follow Christ’s teachings, esp., the two most important commandments.

YOU WROTE
If an act be free, it must be contingent (equal possibility of being and not being). If contingent, it may or may not happen, or it may be one of many possibles. And if it may be one of many possibles, it must be uncertain; and if uncertain, it must be unknowable.
MY RESPONSE
At the risk of sounding repetitious, there is no discursiveness in God, there is no potentiality in God, and obviously there are no contingencies in God. God is simultaneously whole, God is pure act, and if this were not so, God would not be God. Your arguments fail to acknowledge the meaning of “infinite”, they fail to acknowledge the meaning of “eternal”. Understanding these two basic attributes, precludes us from going down these dead-end roads, sapping our intellectual energies.

YOU WROTE
This is sound reasoning about free moral agency that we both agree on. It is the nature of the type of creation God made. An acceptance of this self-evident truth precludes exhaustive foreknowledge and is not a denial of omniscience (knowing everything logically knowable; we both believe in infinite knowledge, but in my view God correctly distinguishes possibilities/probabilities from certainties/actualities).
MY RESPONSE
Not true. Again you are confusing foreknowledge with pre-ordaining. Because God knows there will be 5,000 wanton murders next year, does not equate with God pre-ordaining evil. It equates with God’s giving free will to those murderers. Was the psunami pre-ordained? Give me infinite knowledge so I could know the mind of God and I will answer that. We can hypothesize what an infinite mind causes, or doesn’t cause, and we will go to our deaths angrily because we could not understand the mind of God. That is not our real purpose in life
Once we know God with our entire being (mind, heart and soul) Who God really is, then we should go to the second most important commandment. True followers of Christ try to do this daily. Then again, there are many who will debate open-end theology, free will vs. predestination, without regard to the two most important commandments. Maybe I’m too pessimistic about the future of Christianity, but I am very optimistic that Christ’s real message is taking root among non-Christians as well. The Dahli Lama gave a beautiful lecture in London regarding the Sermon on the Mount. Is the Dahli Lama a Christian? If someone propagates Christ's message as a lof of his "apostles" are supposed to, then if he acts like a Christian, walks in God's ways as a Christian, then he must be a Christian calling himself a Buddhist. Calling ourselves Christians without regard to Christ’s basic message, does a disservice to all those who truly love God with all the strength in their hearts, minds, and beings
Regarding these debates, I don’t think it serves a useful purpose to continue engaging in circular arguments, like the dog chasing its tail. We are simply going round and round with the same arguments. You have made your points, I have made mine. Seems as though East is East and West is West and never the ‘twain shall meet.
My best to you and yours,

Airy

AiryStottel

To Servent101

I need to know how to make selective quotes from a post using the technique you mentioned, but I don't want to take up board space. I don't like giving out my email address, because in the past, I posted on Cal Tech's board and got too many emails that bogged down my schedule, almost equivalent to spam.

I will email you, however, if that's no problem. Also, another possibility is that somewhere on this forum, someone wrote that there is a page or two explaining the mechanics of posting messages. If you know where that is located, then perhaps that would be the best.

I right clicked on the box to the left of your post and last year saw that photo of a book cover that interested me. Is there a connection?

Thanks for your concern,

Airy

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AiryStottel

To Servent101

I need to know how to make selective quotes from a post using the technique you mentioned, but I don't want to take up board space. I don't like giving out my email address, because in the past, I posted on Cal Tech's board and got too many emails that bogged down my schedule, almost equivalent to spam.

I will email you, however, if that's no problem. Also, another possibility is that somewhere on this forum, someone wrote that there is a page or two explaining the mechanics of posting messages. If you know where that is located, then perhaps that would be the best.

I right clicked on the box to the left of your post and last year saw that photo of a book cover that interested me. Is there a connection?

Thanks for your concern,

Airy
If you don't want to use e mail you could use the private message function of this forum. Also if you want to know more how things work on this web site click on [FAQ] at the top of this page

godrulz

Hall of Fame

This is correct.
However all has it's Beginning and End in God.

We move and live and have our being in God. We had a beginning in this century. We were not with God in the Beginning. We will live forever. He is from everlasting to everlasting (infinite past into infinite future). We have a beginning, but no end to our existence. He is uncreated Creator; we are creature.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AiryStottel

“Mt: 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a small coin? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father's knowledge.”

They do not fall without God’s knowledge. God knew before they fell. And again in Matthew:

“10:30 Even all the hairs of your head are counted.”

And again in Luke:
16:15 And he said to them, "You justify yourselves in the sight of others, but God knows your hearts; for what is of human esteem is an abomination in the sight of God.”

YOU WROTE
Exhaustive foreknowledge of future free will contingencies is logically incompatible with free will (incompatibilism is the theology; you believe compatibilism). Calvinists get around this by claiming God predestines everything. This would solve the problem, but at the expense of genuine freedom. Your view is simple foreknowledge and is not explainable. It must assume that the future is already there to know.

YOU WROTE:
You beg the question by assuming that omniscience means knowing the future as an actuality. Omnipotence is not limited by God not being able to do logically contradictory or absurd things. Likewise, omniscience (we both defend omniscience, but understand it differently) is not limited by God not knowing a nothing or something not logically knowable. Either you must give up genuine freedom, or exhaustive foreknowlege.

YOU WROTE
Who do you say Jesus Christ is? Your answer will determine whether you are a Christian. Philosophical concepts about God as 'pure act' is not the ultimate issue.
MY RESPONSE
These questions are pharsaical.

YOU WROTE
If an act be free, it must be contingent (equal possibility of being and not being). If contingent, it may or may not happen, or it may be one of many possibles. And if it may be one of many possibles, it must be uncertain; and if uncertain, it must be unknowable.
MY RESPONSE
At the risk of sounding repetitious, there is no discursiveness in God, there is no potentiality in God, and obviously there are no contingencies in God. God is simultaneously whole, God is pure act, and if this were not so, God would not be God. Your arguments fail to acknowledge the meaning of “infinite”, they fail to acknowledge the meaning of “eternal”. Understanding these two basic attributes, precludes us from going down these dead-end roads, sapping our intellectual energies.

The verses you quote show that God knows the past and present perfectly. These statements are present, available knowledge for an omnipresent/omniscient being. They say nothing about the nature of God's knowledge of the future. You merely assume from tradition and the classical view that this must include the future.

I do not believe God predestines future free will acts. You also reject this idea. My statements are attempting to show that predestination would be the only way to know future choices exhaustively, at the expense of genuine freedom. You do not grasp the arguments but fall back on pure act/discursiveness and other philosophical ideas that do not refute my logic. They are weak arguments that beg the question.

The identity of Jesus and our faith in Him is not Pharisaical. It is the crux of Christianity, salvation, and eternal life (Jn. 1:12; 3:16,36; 14:6; Acts 4:12, etc.). If you deny His unique Deity (which you have not said whether you do or not...a true Christian would be quick to affirm that Jesus is God), you cannot be a Christian. You can follow Christian principles and teaching, but you cannot be saved if you do not trust Christ as Lord God and Savior.

God chose to create a world with genuine freedom. This resulted in a self-imposed limitation of God's knowledge of the future. That which He predestines to come to pass is foreknown by Him. What He choses to have open and unsettled in the future (includes many of our free choices), results in foreknowledge that is not exhaustive. He is still omniscient since He knows all that is knowable.

STONE

We move and live and have our being in God. We had a beginning in this century. We were not with God in the Beginning. We will live forever. He is from everlasting to everlasting (infinite past into infinite future). We have a beginning, but no end to our existence. He is uncreated Creator; we are creature.
All things have thier beginning (origination) from God. All things have their end (termination) in God, for there is no thing outside of God.
However, we have been chosen by God to live forever.

Time and duration, as you have said, are apparent. They are part of the systems and governing of the creation. I believe you would agree as this is apparent.

Even if time is part of God's organized thought, it would have it's origin with God, as He is in control of His faculties. This shouldn't be difficult for anyone to accept.

Now, one either believes God always has and always will have constant thought processes (assumably requiring time), and hence time has always existed with God (zero evidence for this exists),
or one believes that with God in control of his faculties there could have been "rest" without thought or creation. Evidence for this exists, though one can deny the evidence. The proponderence of evidence makes it the only likely conclusion.

If once there was no time in existence as a "duration" of thought, no time as a system or govenor for creation, then one has to accept that God is not limited to time, but can have previously existed in, or concurrently exists in, a timeless state.

If you believe differently, please, show any scriptural evidence to the contrary. This is open to anyone.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Now, one either believes God always has and always will have constant thought processes (assumably requiring time), and hence time has always existed with God (zero evidence for this exists),
or one believes that with God in control of his faculties there could have been "rest" without thought or creation. Evidence for this exists, though one can deny the evidence.
interesting that you are not presenting such evidence at this time.
The proponderence of evidence makes it the only likely conclusion.

If once there was no time in existence as a "duration" of thought, no time as a system or govenor for creation, then one has to accept that God is not limited to time, but can have previously existed in, or concurrently exists in, a timeless state.

If you believe differently, please, show any scriptural evidence to the contrary. This is open to anyone.
If I understand you correctly you are asking us to refute your "evidence" before you present it.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Time is not a limitation on God, like it is on us. He can be everywhere and do an infinite number of things at once. We are finite, and our earthly experience will come to an end. We only have so much time and ability in our physical existence. Time is an aspect of any personal being's existence. It is not a created thing.

The nature of time and eternity is not explicit in Scripture. We draw inferences rather than proof texts. Our discussions will have to be logical and philosophical, in addition to biblical.The Hebraic view is that God is working through divine and human history. As the triune God, before creation, it is reasonable to assume He experienced duration, succession, sequence. If He did not, He could not communicate, fellowship, love, think, feel, act, etc. Timelessness would be a limitation and is not logical. I believe 'eternal now' and 'timelessness' have their roots in Greek philosophy. Do a word study in Hebrew on eternal. It implies duration, not timelessness.

Ps. 90:2 "BEFORE (a time reference) the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God."

This is best seen as an endless duration of time (no beginning and no end), rather than timelessness. God has always existed and will never cease to exist. His existence spans the ages, and is not limited to a supposed instant/eternal now. Reading timelessness into the text is a preconceived idea not explicit to the exegesis. William Lane Craig speculates that God was timeless in eternity, but now has temporal experience after He created. Wolterstorff suggests that God has always experienced duration/time (I agree). Helm classicly believes God is timeless.

Rev. 1:8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Note the past, present, future time tenses relating to the being of God. The simplest way to understand this revelation is that God is everlasting with no beginning or end. The tenses contradict a timeless notion.

Rev. 6:10; 8:1; 22:1,2 show that there is time in heaven/eternity. It does not support an absence of time in eternity.

One more time..."A treatise on time and space" -J.R. Lucas

"Time is more fundamental than space....Some theologians say that God is outside time, but it cannot be true of any personal God that he is timeless, for a personal God is conscious, and time is a concomitant of consciousness. Time is not only the concomitant of consciousness, but the process of actualization and the dimension of change...Time is connected with persons, both as sentient beings and as agents; it is connected with modality, and the passage from the open future to the unalterable past..it is connected with change..."

"God and Time: 4 views" ed. Ganssle IVP

This fair book deals with the Scriptural and philosophical evidence for the nature of time and eternity and God's experience/existence. Timelessness is only one view and is not without problems.

Do you have a favorite proof text for timelessness? Perhaps we can look at it from another perspective?

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

All things have their beginning (origination) from God. All things have their end (termination) in God, for there is no thing outside of God.
However, we have been chosen by God to live forever.
What do you mean by "outside of God"?
It seems to me that there is plenty "outside of God". Hell is outside of God, Satan and the rest of the demons are all outside of God, as is anything else that could be considered evil.

Time and duration, as you have said, are apparent. They are part of the systems and governing of the creation. I believe you would agree as this is apparent.
I wouldn't agree that this is anywhere near a complete statement. Yeah, sure "time and duration" (a redundancy) have their part in creation but duration and sequence (time) are not limited to creation. If anything happened at all prior to creation then there was a sequence to and a duration of those events.

Even if time is part of God's organized thought, it would have its origin with God, as He is in control of His faculties. This shouldn't be difficult for anyone to accept.
Difficult to accept? It doesn't even make any sense! Time is not a "part" of anything per se. You have to get your mind around the fact that time does not exist; it is not a thing with its own independent autonomy. Time is simply the duration and sequence of events or the lack thereof. Those events can and do include the thoughts of God and His rest and everything other thing that has or will ever happen.

Now, one either believes God always has and always will have constant thought processes (assumably requiring time), and hence time has always existed with God (zero evidence for this exists),...
No evidence? Really? Are you sure? Have you ever had a thought that did not take any time to think. Can you even postulate such an event? Could you explain how such a timeless event could happen? Or is it not plainly obvious that an idea such as a timeless event is rational impossibility. It is self contradictory and therefore not possible. That sounds like pretty darn good evidence to me.

...or one believes that with God in control of his faculties there could have been "rest" without thought or creation. Evidence for this exists, though one can deny the evidence. The preponderance of evidence makes it the only likely conclusion.
No such evidence exists. If you think there is, then you do not understand the point we are making. Here's the point....
How long (duration) did God "rest"?

If once there was no time in existence as a "duration" of thought, no time as a system or governor for creation, then one has to accept that God is not limited to time, but can have previously existed in, or concurrently exists in, a timeless state.
This is another self-contradictory statement.
If ONCE (a reference to time) there was no time..."

Scriptural evidence to refute a rational impossibility is not necessary, although Godrulz has successfully done just that in the previous post.

Resting in Him,
Clete

STONE

The nature of time and eternity is not explicit in Scripture. We draw inferences rather than proof texts. Our discussions will have to be logical and philosophical, in addition to biblical.The Hebraic view is that God is working through divine and human history. As the triune God, before creation, it is reasonable to assume He experienced duration, succession, sequence. If He did not, He could not communicate, fellowship, love, think, feel, act, etc. Timelessness would be a limitation and is not logical. I believe 'eternal now' and 'timelessness' have their roots in Greek philosophy. Do a word study in Hebrew on eternal. It implies duration, not timelessness.

Ps. 90:2 "BEFORE (a time reference) the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God."

This is best seen as an endless duration of time (no beginning and no end), rather than timelessness. His existence spans the ages, and is not limited to a supposed instant/eternal now. Reading timelessness into the text is a preconceived idea not explicit to the exegesis.

Rev. 1:8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Note the past, present, future time tenses relating to the being of God. The simplest way to understand this revelation is that God is everlasting with no beginning or end. The tenses contradict a timeless notion.

Rev. 6:10; 8:1; 22:1,2 show that there is time in heaven/eternity. It does not support an absence of time in eternity.

One more time..."A treatise on time and space" -J.R. Lucas

"Time is more fundamental than space....Some theologians say that God is outside time, but it cannot be true of any personal God that he is timeless, for a personal God is conscious, and time is a concomitant of consciousness. Time is not only the concomitant of consciousness, but the process of actualization and the dimension of change...Time is connected with persons, both as sentient beings and as agents; it is connected with modality, and the passage from the open future to the unalterable past..it is connected with change..."
Regarding that we draw inferences rather than get explicit scripture on the subject of time, one must in all fairness accept that one has to read "a God constrained to time" into the scriptures. It is anything but obvious to the typical reader.

Also I have related to you before that whether or not any other people, including the Greeks, believed anything does not make it by default false. It is unscriptural to assume otherwise.

Looking at the above scriptures I would comment on some things you may not be seeing.

(Rev. 1:8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.")
To assume this passage denotes only past present and future one must either overlook the first eleven words, or one has to errantly redefine the first clause with the second clause. Even then one one would be missing that God IS the Beginning and the End. This passage should cast little doubt on the position I've been expressing that God is not only timeless, but exists also within time.

(Ps. 90:2 "BEFORE (a time reference) the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.")
God does not deny He exists in time in scripture, nor do I. We can take that point off the table. We are in complete agreement thus far, however neither scripture or I limit God to only within time. Only open theists seem to do this:

Godrulz: "His existence spans the ages, and is not limited to a supposed instant/eternal now."
Scripture: "But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory"

(Rev. 6:10; 8:1; 22:1,2 show that there is time in heaven/eternity. It does not support an absence of time in eternity.)
I have not told you there is no time in heaven. Of course there is.
It is also irrefutably clear in revelation that not only does God know the future, but that in heaven John and the angels saw the future. To assume otherwise would belittle the scripture.

The open theistic view is an aberration from clasical theology, viewed by most believers an heretical, and is only reasonable within man's imposed limitations. You should not be defending it.
Within the Holy Spirit timelessness is perfectly understandable.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Before the ages does not mean timelessness. God has a history in eternity past (triune) that continues into space-time human history.

Describe timelessness in a coherent way...does God literally experience creation, incarnation, and Second Coming at the same instant even though these events are separated by centuries?

Your phrase that God is in time or not in time shows a fundamental misunderstanding. Time is not space or a place that God is in or not. It is not a literal line that God is stuck in. It is merely an aspect of any personal beings existence to experience succession, sequence, duration.

STONE

You are saying "before the ages" is limited to eternity past and it is you who are limiting it; though you are unaware, this is your fundamental misunderstanding.

Timelessness for God can be explained best as Spirit, and without created thoughts or deeds. It is not complicated but entirely simple, and experiencial.

Time is not a literal line, nor do I say it is; rather it is a progression of "events".

godrulz

Hall of Fame

You are saying "before the ages" is limited to eternity past and it is you who are limiting it; though you are unaware, this is your fundamental misunderstanding.

Timelessness for God can be explained best as Spirit, and without created thoughts or deeds. It is not complicated but entirely simple, and experiencial.

Time is not a literal line, nor do I say it is; rather it is a progression of "events".

This still does not allow one to conceptualize timelessness. If the triune God fellowshipped, communicated, thought, felt, and acted before creation (self-evident), then there had to be duration/time or God is static and impersonal. The God of the Bible is dynamic and has a history before and after our creation.

STONE

Godrulz,
I can explain it in a multitude of ways, but there is no guarantee of understanding.
To be fair, I am not entirely sure that either I or scripture can allow you to conceptuallize timelessness. The Holy Spirit can allow this.

Further, such a state as timelessness is not for man to "experience" or "know" outside of the revelation of the Holy Spirit. We have a relationship with God to grow in; timelessness is not what we seek.