On Rape

glorydaz

What are the implications, if you're right? Are you saying women can somehow learn to not get raped?

Some women can avoid being raped by being careful where they go and what they do. Some women will be found wherever they go and whatever they do. It's best to keep the risk factor as low as possible by exercising common sense. Don't walk down dark streets alone. Lock your doors. Don't strip at frat parties.

Unfortunately, I don't think common sense can be taught. :)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And which of these qualities might an adult victim not also have?

I am not stating an adult victim isn't innocent. The difference is ... an adult is more capable of defending themselves as compared to a child.

Insofar as crimes, sexually assaulting, beating or murdering a child is the most evil act a person can commit.

glassjester

I am not stating an adult victim isn't innocent. The difference is ... an adult is more capable of defending themselves as compared to a child.

Insofar as crimes, sexually assaulting, beating or murdering a child is the most evil act a person can commit.

I'm in complete agreement with you, here. I asked why a child-victim has no culpability (albeit, rhetorically) to point out that whatever quality the child has that removes culpability, the adult-victim may also have.

glassjester

For example: If the child was victimized due to his physical weakness, then no thinking human being would say the child "made" himself a victim.

Well... can't an adult be physically weak, too?
Couldn't an adult have been targeted for the very same reason?

glorydaz

I mean it as opposed to adult victims.

Whatever property of childhood removes culpability from child-victims, might also be possessed by an adult-victim.

Oh, well I guess you have a point there.

Are you saying being stupid is enough of a reason to keep any blame from being placed? "I couldn't help it, I was too stupid".

I might have to sleep on that one. ;)

glassjester

Oh, well I guess you have a point there.

Are you saying being stupid is enough of a reason to keep any blame from being placed? "I couldn't help it, I was too stupid".

Not so much "I couldn't help it." More like "I didn't know any better."

But pretty much, yes. I am saying that. Assuming the individual did not knowingly and purposely cause his own stupidity.

Not my idea, though - Aristotle's.

glorydaz

For example: If the child was victimized due to his physical weakness, then no thinking human being would say the child "made" himself a victim.

Well... can't an adult be physically weak, too?
Couldn't an adult have been targeted for the very same reason?

That doesn't fit the criteria. Of course, MOST rape victims bear no responsibility for what happens to them. We aren't talking about being weak, or old, or young, or unarmed, or anything like that. At least I'm not. I'm talking about those who must bear some responsibility due to their own bad choices.

glassjester

I would even argue that if the adult-victim didn't possess one of the culpability-removing qualities that we afford the child-victims, then he wouldn't have become a victim in the first place.

glorydaz

Not so much "I couldn't help it." More like "I didn't know any better."

But pretty much, yes. I am saying that. Assuming the individual did not knowingly and purposely cause his own stupidity.

Not my idea, though - Aristotle's.

Smart guy. He knows such people exist. And what happens when those people have to learn lessons the hard way? They suffer pain and loss, and next time they might be more careful....some will and others won't. Perhaps they enjoy walking on the wild side...maybe they like stripping too much to give it up even when they know what could happen. If all they are told is that they're innocent....it's not their fault, why should they change? Chalk it up as fate and go on your merry way.

glorydaz

I would even argue that if the adult-victim didn't possess one of the culpability-removing qualities that we afford the child-victims, then he wouldn't have become a victim in the first place.

Might as well throw in the old, "The devil made me do it" and be done with it.

Nah, adults are not children. If they are they're called mentally handicapped. I'm pretty sure we all know the difference between cannot and will not and between adults and children.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
That doesn't fit the criteria. Of course, MOST rape victims bear no responsibility for what happens to them. We aren't talking about being weak, or old, or young, or unarmed, or anything like that. At least I'm not. I'm talking about those who must bear some responsibility due to their own bad choices.

You talkin bout hatin

OCTOBER23

MY FRIEND TOLD A WOMAN AT WORK THAT SHE HAD A NICE VOICE

AND SHE COMPLAINED THAT THAT WAS SEXUAL HARRASSMENT.

Why are these women so WEIRD ??????