NYT Blasted for Printing 'Silly Article' Claiming God's Decline Based on Google ..

glorydaz

It's Newsmax....I can't get the link (my computer is messing up), but I did get this much. (maybe that's the link at the bottom)

Pope Francis: It's OK Not to Believe in God if You Have Clean Conscience

Image: Pope Francis: It's OK Not to Believe in God if You Have Clean Conscience

By Courtney Coren | Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 10:05 AM It's not belief in God that counts, but a clean conscience that determines who gets to heaven, Pope Francis tells atheists in a letter written to the Italian newspaper La Repubblica.

The 2,500-word letter was a response to questions asked by the paper's co-founder and former editor, Eugenio Scalfari, over the summer about whether God forgives those who don't believe in him, The Independent of London reported.

Urgent: Should the Pope change the Catholic Church?

"You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don't believe and who don't seek the faith," the Pope wrote. "Given — and this is the fundamental thing — that God's mercy has no limits, if He is approached with a sincere and repentant heart, the question for those who do not believe in God is to abide by their own conscience."

"There is sin, also for those who have no faith, in going against one's conscience. Listening to it and abiding by it means making up one's mind about what is good and evil," he added.

According to The Independent, Scalfari appreciated the papal comments, saying they were "further evidence of his ability and desire to overcome barriers in dialogue with all."

This isn't the first time Pope Francis has offered an olive branch to atheists. In May, he told a Catholic who asked if Jesus had redeemed atheists that the unbelievers should "just do good, and we'll find a meeting point."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Pope-Francis-atheist-conscience/2013/09/12/id/525304/#ixzz3nAOsWbbF

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
What's wrong with what he said? :idunno: There is a different way of measuring success. The cross was a failure depending on how you look and what you expected. I wouldn't be surprised, and tend to think it was true, that following the crucifixion the disciples were feeling defeated. The resurrection was the ultimate redemption and validation of Jesus.

The cross was not a failure by any measure, its why we are able to be saved.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The cross was not a failure by any measure, its why we are able to be saved.
Peter thought it was at first.

Mat 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
Mat 16:22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
Mat 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

That's all Francis was saying. Do you really think he'd say Christ failed in what he was intending to do? That we don't have salvation because of Jesus? :idunno:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Peter thought it was at first.

Mat 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
Mat 16:22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
Mat 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

That's all Francis was saying. Do you really think he'd say Christ failed in what he was intending to do? That we don't have salvation because of Jesus? :idunno:

People thinking something is a failure, isnt the same thing as something actually being a failure.

Was the purpose of the cross fulfilled? If yes, nothing about it was a failure.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
People thinking something is a failure, isnt the same thing as something actually being a failure.

Was the purpose of the cross fulfilled? If yes, nothing about it was a failure.

It's clear that the Pope wasn't saying the cross was a failure in what it was meant to do. He was saying it looks like a failure from a particular perspective.

popsthebuilder

There was a decline and may still be. It's because of the newer generation being aware of all the confusion and division of the different sects, and the fact that science answers a lot. They don't realize that science goes hand in hand with Faith, or that religious differences are because of greed and hunger for power by currupt man. They don't understand how God could allow pain if he was loving and powerful. Instead of uniting in Faith and fixing these problems, religious tend to prefer to stay divided and hateful. Two things that scriptures are distinctly against.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

"Christianity will vanish and shrink. I am right and will be proved right. Jesus was alright but his disciples were thick [British slang for "stupid"] and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

--John Lennon

"It's the church's meddlings that have caused good men to reject the whole in disgust."

--Thomas Jefferson

The Jewish God Yahweh struck fear into the life of ancient man. But soon he got kicked off his heavenly throne and took up residence in a
Galilean named Jesus. The incarnation of the divine in humanity, walking around on earth with us, was a major change to the old idea of God previously.

When our "God" does not act godly enough, we will find another one.
That's how religions evolve.

The theological universe of the Medieval period is crashing down around us. Most of us don't notice it because we see things in slow motion at 24 frames a second. It's usually the prophets, poets and mystics who have the creative imagination to contain the new myths that have to be dreamed.

If you went down the street in 18th century England shouting "We're in the middle of an Industrial Revolution" people wouldn't know what you are talking about. But if you went to the mystic poet William Blake where he talks about "the dark satanic mills" you would get the message immediately.

Christianity changed the world and now the world is changing Christianity. We are developing the new theology already.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
"Christianity will vanish and shrink. I am right and will be proved right. Jesus was alright but his disciples were thick [British slang for "stupid"] and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

--John Lennon

Why do i care what john lennon thought? He considered himself more popular than God. I hope he changed his mind about God before he was gunned down, for his own sake.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It's clear that the Pope wasn't saying the cross was a failure in what it was meant to do. He was saying it looks like a failure from a particular perspective.

Sounds like something Paul would say. :plain:

1Cor1:18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

--John Lennon

dead guy?

made a lot of money off dopey kids and thought he was brilliant?

that guy?

i wonder how that's working out for him?

Sounds like something Paul would say. :plain:

1Cor1:18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

:think: so the pope is perishing?