NSA collecting phone data on millions of people

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread about this yet. Perhaps the government invading people's privacy is just a non-story nowaways. :plain: :eek:

Obama administration defends massive phone record collection

(Reuters) - The Obama administration on Thursday defended its collection of the telephone records of millions of Americans as part of U.S. counterterrorism efforts, re-igniting a fierce debate over privacy even as it called the program critical to warding off an attack.

The admission came after Britain's Guardian newspaper published on Wednesday a secret court order authorizing the collection of phone records generated by millions of Verizon Communications customers.

Privacy advocates blasted the order as unconstitutional government surveillance and called for a review of the program amid renewed concerns about intelligence-gathering efforts launched after the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

The revelation also put a spotlight on the handling of intelligence and privacy issues by President Barack Obama's administration, which already is under fire for searching the telephone records of Associated Press journalists and the emails and phone records of a Fox News Channel reporter as part of its inquiries into leaked government information.

"The United States should not be accumulating phone records on tens of millions of innocent Americans. That is not what democracy is about. That is not what freedom is about," said Senator Bernie Sanders, an independent from Vermont.

The White House said strict controls were in place to ensure the program did not violate civil liberties, and emphasized that the collection of data did not include listening to the calls.

"The intelligence community is conducting court-authorized intelligence activities pursuant to public statute with the knowledge and oversight of Congress," White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters.

The senior administration official said that "there is a robust legal regime in place governing all activities" like the one outlined in the order and that "all three branches of government are involved in reviewing and authorizing intelligence collection."

I find it kinda ironic that the official chose the word "regime" because of the connotations of that word.

The court order was justified using a provision in the Patriot Act.

I also wanted to highlight something from this article:
U.S. Is Secretly Collecting Records of Verizon Calls

For several years, two Democrats on the Senate Intelligence Committee, Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon and Senator Mark Udall of Colorado, have been cryptically warning that the government was interpreting its surveillance powers under that section of the Patriot Act in a way that would be alarming to the public if it knew about it.

“We believe most Americans would be stunned to learn the details of how these secret court opinions have interpreted Section 215 of the Patriot Act,” they wrote last year in a letter to Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.

They added: “As we see it, there is now a significant gap between what most Americans think the law allows and what the government secretly claims the law allows. This is a problem, because it is impossible to have an informed public debate about what the law should say when the public doesn’t know what its government thinks the law says.”

:think:

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I think "We The People" have been sold a bill of goods that stinks. Post 911 we have lost one freedom after another and our government has spent trillions on aggressive wars which have not been in defense of the country. NSA, TSA, Homeland Security, FBI, CIA and on and on. Local law enforcement buys drones and installs video cameras across the land. The government has plans to shut down the internet and all cell phones if citizens get too revolting. Free press is under attack. Does any of this make you feel safer?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread about this yet. Perhaps the government invading people's privacy is just a non-story nowaways. :plain: :eek:

Obama administration defends massive phone record collection

I find it kinda ironic that the official chose the word "regime" because of the connotations of that word.

The court order was justified using a provision in the Patriot Act.

I also wanted to highlight something from this article:
U.S. Is Secretly Collecting Records of Verizon Calls

:think:

Obumble strikes again. Homeland security was devised to protect Americans from those working against the homeland. Obumble is using it to persecute Americans. It's called Fascism.

WizardofOz

barbie should be along any minute to thump his chest, blame Bush and tell us all "I told you so"

It's certainly a valid point. Obama is simply the lying scumbag who has done nothing to repeal these violations like he promised.

But yeah, this all began under Bush.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
And there is more. Prism program. :plain:
Obama's hope and change don't look very different from Bush.

PureX

They use computer programs to search the data for key words and phrases that might help them find terrorist activity. No human is reading your email or listening to your phone conversations unless you are using a lot of terminology that terrorists use.

This is just another excuse to whine about Obama, when Bush was just as involved in setting up and maintaining this sort of surveillance and you all were all for it, then.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
They use computer programs to search the data for key words and phrases that might help them find terrorist activity. No human is reading your email or listening to your phone conversations unless you are using a lot of terminology that terrorists use.

This is just another excuse to whine about Obama, when Bush was just as involved in setting up and maintaining this sort of surveillance and you all were all for it, then.

Who is 'you all' that were all for Bush doing this? Can you quote anyone? :plain:

And this thread was started by me. Have you seen me whine about Obama?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is a non issue. Just like gun control. It is a tool, and Obama uses it for evil. Instead of going after muslims, he is watching his political opponents. There is no difference with this and the gun debate. It is only a tool.

I think "We The People" have been sold a bill of goods that stinks.

You truly are one of the biggest idiots I have ever come across. You are the quintessential low information voter.

jeffblue101

WHY COLLECT SO MUCH INFORMATION IF OBAMA REFUSES TO USE IT AGAINST TERROR?
A correspondent to Breitbart News writes in frustration: "The FBI and NSA were reading [Nidal] Hassan's emails to [Anwar] Al Awlaki and monitoring his phone calls and didn't think he was a threat at Ft. Hood. The FBI was also monitoring the phone calls of the Times Square bomber and didn't do anything. So much for the value of phone call and email monitoring. Check the old news clips on these stories. It's all there."

The problem is that President Obama does not want to believe that radical Islam is at war with us. He told the nation last month that "this war, like all wars, must end," promising to repeal--not refine--the 2001 Authorization of the Use of Military Force (AUMF) against Al Qaeda. And yet he has increased the federal government's snooping--dramatically. What use is that information, if it will not be used against terror?

The Berean

Who is 'you all' that were all for Bush doing this? Can you quote anyone? :plain:

And this thread was started by me. Have you seen me whine about Obama?

I've learned the easiest way to get kmo to whine is by posting a picture of this guy! :devil:

1210_large.jpg

51015f3b55e4b.image.jpg

packers.jpg