Non Married Cohabitation Should Be Illegal

northwye

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/common-law+marriage

"However, the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the U.S. Constitution requires all states that prohibit it to nonetheless recognize a common-law marriage created in a jurisdiction that allows it. U.S. Const. art. IV, § 1. Laws in all states require a common-law spouse to obtain a Divorce before remarrying.

Common-law marriage is allowed in fourteen jurisdictions: Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, and the District of Columbia. The manner in which a state authorizes common-law marriage varies. Pennsylvania maintains a statute that declares that the statutory chapter covering licensed marriage does not affect the recognition of common-law marriage (23 Pa. Const. Stat. Ann. § 1103). In Georgia, the operative marriage statute simply states, "To constitute a valid marriage in this State there must be—1. Parties able to contract; 2. An actual contract; 3. Consummation according to law" (Ga. Code Ann. § 19-3-1).

Several reasons have been offered for recognizing common-law marriage. In some states, including Pennsylvania and Rhode Island, common-law marriage was originally permitted to allow for religious and social freedom. Some state legislatures have noted the private importance of marriage and assailed the insensitivity of governments purporting to regulate such a personal matter"

http://texaslawhelp.org/files/685E9...5BA6E78F/407091LHT 32_1 Comm Law Marriage.pdf

"To have a common law marriage in Texas, the couple must:

Agree to be married,

Live together in Texas as husband and wife, and
Tell other people that they are married"

Common law marriage, where the couple stays together for life, is quite different from the type of cohabitation seen during the counterculture of the sixties and seventies, a practice which spread to the larger culture to some extent. While some couples who lived together without being married later got married or became so bonded together that they were like a married couple, many others cohabited for a few months with one partner and then went on to cohabit with another partner, and on and on.

There was an early influence on the Hippies from the art bohemian movement, which had been into cohabitation, both long term and short term.

gcthomas

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/common-law+marriage

"However, the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the U.S. Constitution requires all states that prohibit it to nonetheless recognize a common-law marriage created in a jurisdiction that allows it. U.S. Const. art. IV, § 1. Laws in all states require a common-law spouse to obtain a Divorce before remarrying.

Common-law marriage is allowed in fourteen jurisdictions: Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, and the District of Columbia. The manner in which a state authorizes common-law marriage varies. Pennsylvania maintains a statute that declares that the statutory chapter covering licensed marriage does not affect the recognition of common-law marriage (23 Pa. Const. Stat. Ann. § 1103). In Georgia, the operative marriage statute simply states, "To constitute a valid marriage in this State there must be—1. Parties able to contract; 2. An actual contract; 3. Consummation according to law" (Ga. Code Ann. § 19-3-1).

Several reasons have been offered for recognizing common-law marriage. In some states, including Pennsylvania and Rhode Island, common-law marriage was originally permitted to allow for religious and social freedom. Some state legislatures have noted the private importance of marriage and assailed the insensitivity of governments purporting to regulate such a personal matter"

http://texaslawhelp.org/files/685E9...5BA6E78F/407091LHT 32_1 Comm Law Marriage.pdf

"To have a common law marriage in Texas, the couple must:

Agree to be married,

Live together in Texas as husband and wife, and
Tell other people that they are married"

Common law marriage, where the couple stays together for life, is quite different from the type of cohabitation seen during the counterculture of the sixties and seventies, a practice which spread to the larger culture to some extent. While some couples who lived together without being married later got married or became so bonded together that they were like a married couple, many others cohabited for a few months with one partner and then went on to cohabit with another partner, and on and on.

There was an early influence on the Hippies from the art bohemian movement, which had been into cohabitation, both long term and short term.

Your link says that common law marriage is not for life.

If we're going to entertain hair-brained ideas of making new moral laws, you're on the wrong track. You start at the roots, so I'd like to see lying made illegal, and stiff penalties for liars.

I'd like to be able to park upfront at the mall, hate lines at food courts, the neighborhood would become so much more peaceful and quiet, and there wouldn't be more than four or five people on TOL to deal with. Conversations with a purpose. Think about it, and no more traffic jams! No more commercials on TV for detergents or TV service providers, and throw away the magnifying glass, no more having to dig for the truth of that offer in the mail, no more political conventions, no more Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, Pope Francis, no more ignore list, lots of prime real estate up for grabs in the D.C. area: the whole Capitol building to yourself!

Yes, I say go for the liars, and the rest will work itself out.

Arthur Brain

to be fair, you're new, so you probably aren't aware that the thread author is widely recognized as suffering from ARD

Or rather that's just a lie perpetuated by yourself. Tell me, is bearing false witness and concocting puerile rumours about other people part of the Christian faith? Trolling? Stalking? That's all you ever seem to contribute on here.

Why is that?

:idunno:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Or rather that's just a lie perpetuated by yourself. Tell me, is bearing false witness and concocting puerile rumours about other people part of the Christian faith? Trolling? Stalking? That's all you ever seem to contribute on here.

Why is that?

:idunno:

Says the liberal atheist 'Christian' :rolleyes:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Once knew a woman who held marriage ceremonies for her cats.
Was she from Perth? Because if she was from Perth I may have heard of her. :plain: In passing.

Cat woman. :chuckle:
Horrible movie.

Seriously, I take a few off and come back...handbaskets everywhere.

Marriage is between a man and a woman,
it has nothing to do with the state,
or man made laws.
Now that movie I loved. What ever happened to Alicia Silverstone anyway?

You can always depend on liberals to call a certain past 'oppressive',
That's true, mostly because the conservatives of an age are invested in the oppression (see: slavery, suffrage, the Civil Rights Movement).

even though a time before that was marked with liberals dreaming it up as liberty.
True again. Slaves as people, women as more than glorified chattel. Liberals. Sometimes you just have to love them.

Well, not you, of course. :think:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
That's true, mostly because the conservatives of an age are invested in the oppression (see: slavery, suffrage, the Civil Rights Movement).

Everyone is invested in their own superiority.

It's been that way since Eve went against God.

What do you want to achieve. Peace?

:plain: Good luck with that.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Everyone is invested in their own superiority.
Anyone who believes they are right believes they have a superior position. Their own superiority is a different thing entirely, unless you aren't to the point where that makes sense yet. If you're in your 20s it likely doesn't.

What do you want to achieve. Peace?
I'll settle for providing a context for your statement...which is what I did.

You declared that "You can always depend on liberals to call a certain past 'oppressive'," and I thought it and you could use a bit of that particular context, why what you were saying wasn't necessarily or inherently something they should be ashamed of or conservatives could take comfort in.

northwye

II Thessalonians 2: 3 says "Let no man deceive you by any means: for
that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and
that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;"

"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God?
21. It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened." Luke 13: 20-21

I Timothy 4: 1-2 says "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the
latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing
spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2.Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a
hot iron;"

II Timothy 3: 5,7-8: "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.....7. Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith."

II Timothy 4: 3-4 says "For the time will come when they will not
endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to
themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4.And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be
turned unto fables."

Then, II Peter 2: 1-3 says "But there were false prophets also among
the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who
privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that
bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the
way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make
merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not,
and their damnation slumbereth not."

The church in apostasy (II Thessalonians 2: 3) does not work effectively to keep couples joined together by God as Matthew 19: 6 would have the church do, but it re-marries those who are divorced without much concern. Yet, this church in apostasy wants to maintain its authority over the marriage ceremony, and so the apostate church is against couples living together without having a marriage license and going through the proper church ceremony. Why would a couple who are in Christ want to be married by a church which preaches false doctrines? Why not go to a judge to get married?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Was she from Perth? Because if she was from Perth I may have heard of her. :plain: In passing.

Horrible movie.

Seriously, I take a few off and come back...handbaskets everywhere.

Now that movie I loved. What ever happened to Alicia Silverstone anyway?

True again. Slaves as people, women as more than glorified chattel. Liberals. Sometimes you just have to love them.

Well, not you, of course. :think:

No, she was a silly woman who had serious problems.

True conservatives always want to preserve something.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
And how on earth would I get them to keep from losing their "wedding" rings outside?

:rotfl:

:think:

duct tape, super glue. or....

Spoiler
pneumatic-nailer-1-300x189.jpg