ECT NO, THE BIBLE IS NOT THE CHRISTIAN'S ONLY AUTHORITY

Cruciform

All cruciform is really doing is making a noise so that you can't get a word in edgeways. It helps him to believe that he didn't make a mistake converting to Catholicism.
Post your proof.

Have you noticed how the catholic converts around here are so much more pushy than the baby-baptized ones?
...declares the clueless and pushy anti-Catholic.

They keep ranting on about authority and how many different protestant denominations there are like a record stuck in a groove...
Feel free, then, to actually disprove our statements with sound arguments and consistent reason. We eagerly await your proof.

They are no longer people, just machines churning out the same widget day in and day out. The machines don't know why they are doing this but it is all they know how to do so they carry on doing it in the hope that it means something.
You can go ahead and just apply that to yourself and your chosen man-made non-Catholic sect, friend.

Any chance you're actually going to rationally engage with the content of the OP at some point? :think:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Last edited:

HisServant

Post your proof.

...declares the clueless and pushy anti-Catholic.

Feel free, then, to actually disprove our statements with sound arguments and consistent reason. We eagerly await your proof.

You can go ahead and just apply that to yourself and your chosen man-made non-Catholic sect, friend.

Any chance you're actually going to rationally engage with the content of the OP at some point? :think:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

All someone has to do is read any of your posts... and it becomes quite clear after only reading a few of them.

You are all mouth and no substance... you continually argue over doctrine and dogma and show no fruit of the spirit whatsoever.

Yet you are not a representative of your church... you have no authority within your church... yet you continue to post links to articles and paraphrase articles from those supposedly in charge of your church.. and you inevitably twist their words and bear false witness against them.

Yup... you are trying to overcompensate for your inward feeling of despair which you have tried to plug with Catholicism.

Its totally obvious.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Hardly "unsupported," given that it has been the authoritative teaching---grounded in Divine Revelation (Scripture and Tradition)---of Christ's one historic Catholic Church from the very beginning. Try again.
This is what we are actually trying to ascertain. Is the teaching of the RCC authoritative. Certainly the RCC has assumed authority but they cannot document it beyond simply stating they have it. There is nothing in scripture that says we are free to add traditions as we see fit. Indeed, there is scripture the documents Jesus becoming angry when traditions were added that went against His Father. Given that bad traditions make God angry, I want to know that the traditions the RCC teaches are indeed the traditions that Paul was referring to. Unless you can document exactly what traditions Paul was referring to I am forced to keep the bible in its place of doctrinal supremacy and weight all traditions against it. Do you know exactly what traditions Paul was referring to?

Yes, and inherent in those Traditions were the apostolic teachings regarding, for example, the authority of the Church, apostolic succession, Tradition as God's word, and the development of Christian doctrine.
Were they? Certainly your sect of Christianity asserts this but, given that bad traditions make Jesus angry, I want to know that your traditions are what Paul was actually teaching before I submit to them. Is that an unreasonable request?

Not so far (see above). Try again.
No, post 45 is proven a logical fallacy.

Consider the Catechism itself just such a list.
You may, but given that your Catechism conflicts with scripture is so many places, I cannot. You see, your Catechism is essentially what men have said Jesus would have said had He been around to say it. Scripture is what Jesus actually said. The way I figure it, if listen to what Jesus actually said instead of what men say He said, then my foundation is pretty solid.

"...did not exist" in the form that they would eventually take, anyway. In any case, you've already been answered above. Again, one must account for the realities of apostolic succession and doctrinal development in Christ's one historic Church (see above).
Did not exist at all. Can you say indulgence? Indulge me and show us where anybody in the new testament taught indulgences as practiced by Rome during the Middle Ages or at any time for that matter.

Chapter-and-verse, please---and don't bother quoting Gal. 2:11, since your glaring misinterpretation of the text has already been noted publicly on this forum. No need to embarrass yourself further. You must, then, have another passage in mind...?
Galatians 2:11-21. It stands pretty well on its own. I know your church teaches that it does not because they are rather heavily invested in Peter always being right as the first Pope so that you can believe all subsequent popes are equally right. The sad thing is is that it makes for a church that allows error to creep into its teachings because there is no way for its leader to be corrected when correction is needed.

imeter11.gif
The fundamental error of your statement remains rooted in anti-Catholic error coupled with arrogance.
I have simply asked you to defend your faith. You cannot. Sure, you can post links to all kinds of Catholic documents and say this is what I believe, but when pushed, you cannot defend your beliefs to me. I asked you to defend your beliefs about Mary in post 518. To date, you have never done this. I have asked you to defend traditions. To date, you have never done this. So I push a little harder and you get mad and defensive and evasive and never answer a question. Why should I become a Catholic (again) when nobody can answer my rather simple questions? The saddest part of the whole thing is that there is one answer that would instantly and permanently shut me up and I doubt that you have any clue what that is. And that is the saddest thing of all.

Already addressed here. Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Crucuiform
+T+
And your final resort to an ad hominem argument.

Krsto

"THE BIBLE, NOT ORAL TRADITION, IS OUR ONLY AUTHORITY!"

False. Christ sent the Apostles to teach all things that He had taught them, but the Bible tells us that not all that He did was written in Scripture (Jn. 21:25). Therefore, if all is to be taught, and not all is in Scripture, part of Christian truth must be elsewhere. But where?

St. Paul tells us clearly to "stand fast and hold to the traditions which we have learned, either by word or by letter" (2 Thess. 2:14).

Thus, the Catholic Church, "the pillar and bulwark of the truth" (1 Tim. 3:15), teaches that Divine Revelation is contained fully in the Word of God, which is comprised of Sacred Scripture and sacred Tradition.

http://www.StreetEvangelization.com

You guys sure take "all" literally, as if he meant "every single thing," when Jesus said teach all things I have taught you. I wish my kids were literalists like that. When I send them out to rake leaves and they ask, "How much?", and I say, "All of them," I'd sure have one clean yard. As it is my kids know I don't mean "every single leaf in the yard," but if the yard looks reasonably clean we all know the spirit of my command has been obeyed.

We are all responsible for where we get our gospel. As for me, quite simply, sola scriptura. I will never completely understand the Bible in this lifetime, so really don't even see the sense if straying from the reliable word of God, have absolutely no interest in man made doctrines and errors.

Krsto

I agree with the above quoted. All cruciform is really doing is making a noise so that you can't get a word in edgeways. It helps him to believe that he didn't make a mistake converting to Catholicism. Have you noticed how the catholic converts around here are so much more pushy than the baby-baptized ones? They keep ranting on about authority and how many different protestant denominations there are like a record stuck in a groove (if you can still remember records!) They are no longer people, just machines churning out the same widget day in and day out. The machines don't know why they are doing this but it is all they know how to do so they carry on doing it in the hope that it means something. Perhaps one day cruciform is going to wake up and remember that 20 years ago he used to be a person.

Yes. Since the truth sets a person free I would love to hear Cruciform's testimony to how truth has set him free in his life. Not theologically, but how it has changed him in his day to day life as a person (husband, father, son, employee, friend, businessman, etc.).

So cruc, if you're listening, how about it buddy?

Krsto

We are all responsible for where we get our gospel. As for me, quite simply, sola scriptura. I will never completely understand the Bible in this lifetime, so really don't even see the sense if straying from the reliable word of God, have absolutely no interest in man made doctrines and errors.

It sounds like you believe Sola Scriptura will keep you from man made doctrines and error. That's rather naive.

It sounds like you believe Sola Scriptura will keep you from man made doctrines and error. That's rather naive.

It has provided a lifelong experience of knowing when to take out the garbage, of being able to say, for some years, I'm in no way confused or in doubt of anything, that I know, epignosis know, what I believe, that I likewise know my God, that I can also spot the fake like a bad penny. So, if that's naive, naive is good, praise Holy Lord Jesus and His word! (But, truth is, I'm not of the naive ones, floundering in a swamp of false doctrines.)

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Spot on! As if it needed anything else to disprove this stupid notion, the doctrine of sola scriptura is self-defeating because the doctrine is not in the Bible. Neither does anywhere in the Bible say what the Bible consists of.

No need. You didn't provide any proof for them in the first instance. KRSTO gave you several open invitations to prove your case and you didn't. I would expect in a normal debating situation someone would have jumped at the chance to state their case so openly. Hence my comments about your motives. So that's it.

Last edited:

Krsto

It has provided a lifelong experience of knowing when to take out the garbage, of being able to say, for some years, I'm in no way confused or in doubt of anything, that I know, epignosis know, what I believe, that I likewise know my God, that I can also spot the fake like a bad penny. So, if that's naive, naive is good, praise Holy Lord Jesus and His word! (But, truth is, I'm not of the naive ones, floundering in a swamp of false doctrines.)

Oh goodness, this is why people laugh at Christians.

You might not be in doubt, but if you are confused you would never know it, and not be able to spot the false doctrines in your own theology. I'm not saying you need the Catholic Church to help you, I'm saying you think Sola Scriptura will keep you in right doctrine and that's just plain naive thinking, out of touch with reality, and church history. And no, being that kind of naive is not a good thing, it's supreme arrogance to think you might not have any false doctrines yourself.

Oh goodness, this is why people laugh at Christians.

You might not be in doubt, but if you are confused you would never know it, and not be able to spot the false doctrines in your own theology. I'm not saying you need the Catholic Church to help you, I'm saying you think Sola Scriptura will keep you in right doctrine and that's just plain naive thinking, out of touch with reality, and church history. And no, being that kind of naive is not a good thing, it's supreme arrogance to think you might not have any false doctrines yourself.

I just wake up everyday, worrying about what people like you think.

musterion

Creeds and catechisms are for those who cannot understand the Bible for themselves, don't want to try, or have been forbidden to try.

Cruciform

All someone has to do is read any of your posts... and it becomes quite clear after only reading a few of them.
Then it should be easy for you to disprove our position. Go ahead, then, and post your proof.

...you continue to post links to articles and paraphrase articles from those supposedly in charge of your church.. and you inevitably twist their words and bear false witness against them.
Again: post your proof.

Yup... you are trying to overcompensate for your inward feeling of despair which you have tried to plug with Catholicism.
Oprah called. She wants her imaginary New Age pop-psychological fantasy back. :darwinsm:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Krsto

I just wake up everyday, worrying about what people like you think.

My comment had nothing to do with worrying about what other people think as it relates to you personally, and I don't worry about what people think of me either.

What I do think about, and you should too, is what people think of Christ because of what I say or do. If you are living the truth, and they think evil of you and our Christ, so be it, but if you are not living the truth and claim to be a Christian, then you are a poor testimony for Christ. Jesus would rather you not mention to others that you are a Christian if you read your bible the way you do.

Cruciform

Certainly the RCC has assumed authority but they cannot document it beyond simply stating they have it.
Of course she can, just as she always has (Mt. 28:18-20; Lk. 10:16; Ac. 16:4; Rom. 16:17; 2 Thess. 3:4; 1 Tim. 3:15; 1 Jn. 4:6).

There is nothing in scripture that says we are free to add traditions as we see fit.
Merely another Straw Man Fallacy on your part, since this is not at all what the Catholic Church claims to do. Try again.

Indeed, there is scripture the documents Jesus becoming angry when traditions were added that went against His Father.
Yes, there is a type of tradition that is condemned by Jesus and the apostles (i.e., merely human traditions, "the traditions of men"). However, there is ALSO a form of Tradition which is encouraged, and even commanded, in the NT (Sacred Tradition, or Apostolic Tradition). It is the latter which you deny and, in doing so, deny the Scriptures themselves.

Given that bad traditions make God angry, I want to know that the traditions the RCC teaches are indeed the traditions that Paul was referring to.
The Church herself teaches just that fact. The doctrines of the Church carry the very authority of Jesus Christ himself (Lk. 10:16; 1 Tim. 3:15). One either accepts and follows the Church's (and therefore Christ's) authoritative teachings and self-testimony, or one does not.

Unless you can document exactly what traditions Paul was referring to I am forced to keep the bible in its place of doctrinal supremacy and weight all traditions against it.
In fact, what you're "weighing all traditions against" is not the Bible itself, but merely your preferred interpretations of the Bible, which carry no authority whatsoever. In any case, this has already been answered above.

Do you know exactly what traditions Paul was referring to?
Already answered.

Were they? Certainly your sect...

Oops! Try again.

...given that bad traditions make Jesus angry, I want to know that your traditions are what Paul was actually teaching before I submit to them. Is that an unreasonable request?
Already answered above.

No, post 45 is proven a logical fallacy.
You're simply wrong on this, or else you have no idea what a "logical fallacy" is. Either way, Post #45 stands exactly as given, and your claim to the contrary has already been answered---and refuted---in a previous post.

You may, but given that your Catechism conflicts with scripture is so many places...
Again, the very most that you can validly claim is that the Catechism contradicts your preferred interpretations of Scripture which, again, carry no binding authority whatsoever. Try again.

...I cannot.
Of course you can't, since your chosen recently-invented man-made non-Catholic sect will not allow you to think or believe contrary to its own tenets and dictates. Like everyone else, your beliefs are guided by your tradition.

You see, your Catechism is essentially what men have said Jesus would have said had He been around to say it. Scripture is what Jesus actually said.
Wrong again. Sacred Tradition is every bit as much "the word of God" (Divine Revelation) as is Sacred Scripture.

Also, your complaint against Christ's Church made above applies to your appeal to the Bible as well. To paraphrase you: "Certainly the Bible has assumed authority but it cannot document it beyond simply stating it has it." In other words, your claim that "the Bible is authoritative" is nothing more than an assertion made by the Bible itself, and you have yet to prove its validity. However, if, as Protestants like to claim, the Bible's self-testimony should be taken at face value, then the Catholic's appeal to the authority of Christ's Church---which both preceded and produced the Bible---is at least as compelling, if not more so.

Did not exist at all. Can you say indulgence? Indulge me and show us where anybody in the new testament taught indulgences as practiced by Rome during the Middle Ages or at any time for that matter.
Already answered in previous posts.

Galatians 2:11-21.
You're so predictably wrong. Paul confronted Peter not over Peter's teachings, but over his behavior---that is, the fact that Peter was acting in a manner which was inconsistent with his (Peter's) own infallible teachings. Try again.

I know your Church teaches that it does not because they are rather heavily invested in Peter always being right as the first Pope so that you can believe all subsequent popes are equally right.
Yet another Straw Man Fallacy for you. The Church has never taught that the Pope is "always right." So much for your claimed "knowledge" of Catholic teaching.

The sad thing is is that it makes for a church that allows error to creep into its teachings because there is no way for its leader to be corrected when correction is needed.
Sounds remarkably like the myriad Protestant sects with their hopelessly unworkable principle of the Private Interpretation of Scripture.

I have simply asked you to defend your faith. You cannot.
Of course I have, the content of which you have been utterly unable to disprove or refute in any rational manner. For example, readers should take note that CM will offer no rationally compelling or logically valid counter-argument to a single point made in this very post itself.

I asked you to defend your beliefs about Mary in post 518. To date, you have never done this. I have asked you to defend traditions. To date, you have never done this.
You're such a natural and effortless liar. May God help you (Ex. 20:16; Prov. 19:5).

Why should I become a Catholic (again) when nobody can answer my rather simple questions?
Again, the fact that you don't prefer (like) the answers because they contradict the dictates of your chosen recently-invented man-made non-Catholic sect certainly does not mean that you have not received the answers. The problem is with you, not with the substance of the truth.

And your final resort to an ad hominem argument.
And you still have no idea what an Ad Hominem actually is. :doh: No, there's nothing whatsoever ad hominem about Post #94, since it is in no way directed to your motives or character, but only to your actions on this forum. It is based upon an observation of your own posted statements here on TOL. Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Of course she can, just as she always has (Mt. 28:18-20; Lk. 10:16; Ac. 16:4; Rom. 16:17; 2 Thess. 3:4; 1 Tim. 3:15; 1 Jn. 4:6).

Merely another Straw Man Fallacy on your part, since this is not at all what the Catholic Church claims to do. Try again.

Yes, there is a type of tradition that is condemned by Jesus and the apostles (i.e., merely human traditions, "the traditions of men"). However, there is ALSO a form of Tradition which is encouraged, and even commanded, in the NT (Sacred Tradition, or Apostolic Tradition). It is the latter which you deny and, in doing so, deny the Scriptures themselves.

The Church herself teaches just that fact. The doctrines of the Church carry the very authority of Jesus Christ himself (Lk. 10:16; 1 Tim. 3:15). One either accepts and follows the Church's (and therefore Christ's) authoritative teachings and self-testimony, or one does not.

In fact, what you're "weighing all traditions against" is not the Bible itself, but merely your preferred interpretations of the Bible, which carry no authority whatsoever. In any case, this has already been answered above.

Already answered.

Oops! Try again.

Already answered above.

You're simply wrong on this, or else you have no idea what a "logical fallacy" is. Either way, Post #45 stands exactly as given, and your claim to the contrary has already been answered---and refuted---in a previous post.

Again, the very most that you can validly claim is that the Catechism contradicts your preferred interpretations of Scripture which, again, carry no binding authority whatsoever. Try again.

Of course you can't, since your chosen recently-invented man-made non-Catholic sect will not allow you to think or believe contrary to its own tenets and dictates. Like everyone else, your beliefs are guided by your tradition.

Wrong again. Sacred Tradition is every bit as much "the word of God" (Divine Revelation) as is Sacred Scripture.

Also, your complaint against Christ's Church made above applies to your appeal to the Bible as well. To paraphrase you: "Certainly the Bible has assumed authority but it cannot document it beyond simply stating it has it." In other words, your claim that "the Bible is authoritative" is nothing more than an assertion made by the Bible itself, and you have yet to prove its validity. However, if, as Protestants like to claim, the Bible's self-testimony should be taken at face value, then the Catholic's appeal to the authority of Christ's Church---which both preceded and produced the Bible---is at least as compelling, if not more so.

Already answered in previous posts.

You're so predictably wrong. Paul confronted Peter not over Peter's teachings, but over his behavior---that is, the fact that Peter was acting in a manner which was inconsistent with his (Peter's) own infallible teachings. Try again.

Yet another Straw Man Fallacy for you. The Church has never taught that the Pope is "always right." So much for your claimed "knowledge" of Catholic teaching.

Sounds remarkably like the myriad Protestant sects with their hopelessly unworkable principle of the Private Interpretation of Scripture.

Of course I have, the content of which you have been utterly unable to disprove or refute in any rational manner. For example, readers should take note that CM will offer no rationally compelling or logically valid counter-argument to a single point made in this very post itself.

You're such a natural and effortless liar. May God help you (Ex. 20:16; Prov. 19:5).

Again, the fact that you don't prefer (like) the answers because they contradict the dictates of your chosen recently-invented man-made non-Catholic sect certainly does not mean that you have not received the answers. The problem is with you, not with the substance of the truth.

I was just getting ready to answer this but realized that there is no reason to. I have asked you to list the specific traditions that Paul was referring to when spoke those words. The purpose for asking is to see if the traditions that Paul taught are the same as or at least consistant with Paul's traditions. All of your stuff above is just an attempt by you to hide the fact that you can't answer my question.

And you still have no idea what an Ad Hominem actually is. :doh: No, there's nothing whatsoever ad hominem about Post #94, since it is in no way directed to your motives or character, but only to your actions on this forum. It is based upon an observation of your own posted statements here on TOL. Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
Of course I know what it is. You do it all the time. I asked you a question about Paul. You respond with allegations about my motives and allegations about hating Catholics. It's the very definition of ad hominem.

Cruciform

Yes. Since the truth sets a person free I would love to hear Cruciform's testimony to how truth has set him free in his life. Not theologically, but how it has changed him in his day to day life as a person (husband, father, son, employee, friend, businessman, etc.). So cruc, if you're listening, how about it buddy?
It would take a far larger format than this forum---and much more time than I'm likely to have---to express the differences that Christ has made in my life. In short, He has influenced and altered every single aspect of my life over the past five decades, and this ongoing conversion continues to take place virtually every day.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

So, then, you have no actual proof whatsoever. That's what I thought.

You didn't provide any proof for them in the first instance.
Of course, that's nonsense. The Catholics here have demonstrated the truth of the Catholic faith countless times on this forum. Sorry for your confusion.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

Creeds and catechisms are for those who cannot understand the Bible for themselves, don't want to try, or have been forbidden to try.
Each post is just one more opportunity for musterion to place his ignorance of a given subject on public display, in this case the purpose of creeds and catechisms. Brilliant.