No Longer A Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Flipper:

"For no good reason other than intuition, I vaguely suspect you'll end up a Buddhist or a Taoist or something. Good luck wherever your studies lead you."

Thanks man. We shall see.

"If it weren't for your personal strife, this thread would have amused me. Long experience led me to suspect that our dogmatic Christian buddies wouldn't be able to salvage an errant sheep, but I am surprised by how horribly incompetent some of them are at it."

Well, most of the people here didn't even try, which isn't surprising (frankly, if I was in their position, I probably wouldn't have tried, either). What makes a lot of people here--Knight, Jeremiah, others--write me off, I think, are posts I made while in transition, before I decided to leave the faith.

"And if you don't think his life is falling apart, you are dumb and blind. And if you think he needs pats on the back for rejecting eternal life, then you must hate him a bunch."

Yawn. Let's see: no binge drinking, no smack yet, feeling at peace...if the definition of a life that's falling apart means leaving the church, you need to get out more.

"If you think that you have a good life for those reasons, you're going to be sad down the road. That sounds like a real crappy life, frankly."

Why? Because my friends and family love me? Because I'm happy (most days)? Sorry man. Church attendance does not happiness make. Christianity doesn't happiness make, either. I'm not sure what kind of petty little litmus test you could use to your satisfaction to determine, without a shadow of a doubt, that someone's "happy," because even me saying I am ain't enough. Sad. Real sad. I guess it's true: some folks like everyone else in sackcloth and ashes.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jeremiah

:thumb: In my better moments, I wonder if he really exists, or is he just an internet creation of some clever TOL atheistic poster, just enjoying himself immensely right now. He seems to come right out of central casting. ;)

I'd like to thank the academy.

What a joke. Miah, your paranoia puts Texe Marrs to shame. (Well, strike that; Texe has no shame.)

In any event, I'm not an atheist. Try again!

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by firechyld

If that's the case, they've certainly put a lot of work into it... he's been around for quite some time and had a lot of indepth discussions with a lot of people. 4000 posts worth, in fact. Some about casual things, some deep theological debates in which he expressed and explored his stance on certain issues. He's forged relationships, and made friends. He's said things in his posts that refer to his real life.

But then, of course, he left Christianity. And that doesn't suit you. So you decide that he either never had faith... despite the many, many posts he's made about his Christianity in the past... or that he doesn't exist at all. Grow up. :rolleyes:

You know, nobody since Cry Baby--anybody remember that piece of work?--has accused me of being an agent. Then again, she thought I was working for the Evil Jews, since my mother's Jewish and some of my ancestors got turned into smog over Poland.:rolleyes:

wickwoman

Originally posted by granite1010
Yawn. Let's see: no binge drinking, no smack yet, feeling at peace...if the definition of a life that's falling apart means leaving the church, you need to get out more.
. . .

Christianity doesn't happiness make, either. I'm not sure what kind of petty little litmus test you could use to your satisfaction to determine, without a shadow of a doubt, that omeone's "happy," because even me saying I am ain't enough. Sad. Real sad. I guess it's true: some folks like everyone else in sackcloth and ashes.

It's amazing just how at peace you can be when you are supposedly "running from God" as my parents would put it. And, isn't it sneaky of God to allow us poor, confused, subversives to run around thinking how great life is, all the while supposedly traveling the road to eternal damnation?

Sometimes, I sit on my back porch and think to myself, "how could I possibly be any happier than I am right now?" Sometimes, just listening to a bird sing can make your heart soar higher than any lather an evangelist could ever work you into.

wickwoman

Originally posted by On Fire

What other aspects of your life are controlled by the words and actions of people you don't know and have never met?

I look for evidence of the validity of your doctrine in your behavior. If I see no evidence of it benefiting you, why should I take your doctrine seriously? I know some very kind and intelligent Buddhist, Taoists, pagans.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by wickwoman

It's amazing just how at peace you can be when you are supposedly "running from God" as my parents would put it. And, isn't it sneaky of God to allow us poor, confused, subversives to run around thinking how great life is, all the while supposedly traveling the road to eternal damnation?

Sometimes, I sit on my back porch and think to myself, "how could I possibly be any happier than I am right now?" Sometimes, just listening to a bird sing can make your heart soar higher than any lather an evangelist could ever work you into.

For me, curiosity's back. Inquisition is back (yes, yes, play on words). When everything is all explained for you, where's the fun in life? The inquiry? Frankly, I kind of like not having it all spelled out for me. Finding out for myself is refreshing.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jeremiah

Hey I am still trying to figure out how Billy Bob has already gotten to 18,000 posts, and how an Atheist like Zakath has gotten to 10.000 posts on a site called "Theology" Online. 4000 would be nothing for a true professional like one of them in their spare time?????
You have to wonder about people who are not moderators, who have that many posts, and that much free time?????
:kookoo:
At any rate, I was only kidding. I am sure someone here at TOL has met granite face to face, and can vouch for him and his former Christianity.

Well, someone here could/did, but they got banned...

wickwoman

For me, curiosity's back. Inquisition is back (yes, yes, play on words). When everything is all explained for you, where's the fun in life? The inquiry? Frankly, I kind of like not having it all spelled out for me. Finding out for myself is refreshing.

Yes, there's nothing like a good mystery to get you out of bed in the morning.

On Fire

I look for evidence of the validity of your doctrine in your behavior. If I see no evidence of it benefiting you, why should I take your doctrine seriously? I know some very kind and intelligent Buddhist, Taoists, pagans.

Can you also do the tango?

Granite

Hall of Fame

Kind of like the Indians who politely declined Christian missionaries on this continent. They saw firsthand the division and strife within the church and wanted no part of it.

Ecumenicist

Originally posted by firechyld

Dave Miller

How very Jewish of you. :)

Christians can always explain why the nature of God changed between Judaism and Christianity, but none have yet been able to give me a decent explanation for why the nature of Hell and of Satan changed between the two religions. The Christian vision of "Hell" has little to do with traditional Jewish beliefs.

I appreciate the compliment! And anyone who says the nature
of God changed is messed up, God doesn't change. Jesus
just helped clarify things a bit that's all. Everything Jesus said
about the nature of God is in the OT. Jesus came to set the
record straight.

djm

wickwoman

Kind of like the Indians who politely declined Christian missionaries on this continent. They saw firsthand the division and strife within the church and wanted no part of it.

Then the Christian white men proceeded to virtually wipe the "heathens" off the face of the earth.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Then the Christian white men proceeded to virtually wipe the "heathens" off the face of the earth.

To paraphrase: In order to save the heathen, it was necessary to destroy them.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Knight

LOL... you actually think Granite was a Christian??????
It's cool to see that you and I agree on such subjects.

I was thinking, maybe the title of this thread should be changed to, 'Never was a Christian'.:chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.