No Death Penalty. What Is Your Position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Brain

all of them artie, as would be anyone who has read the pentateuch

now, i've asked you a couple of times - why is that important?

So, you knew each one individually and in detail?

Come off it. I doubt anyone on here could in honesty recite that particular list without an eidetic memory. What's law number 145 off the top of your head? (No cheating)

Arthur Brain

one massive problem that I see is that society, government, public schools, scouts, even many churches today - all of them are telling children - impressionable minds - the same thing, the same drumbeat of "homosexuality is normal", "exploring your sexuality is normal" - we've sown the seeds for a generation of kids who won't see molestation as abnormal or worth reporting

the harvest we'll reap will be societally acceptable pedophilia

Well, apart from the fact that laws have been proven to have zero tolerance towards pedophilia and slippery slope fallacies have been made redundant in light of such stringent safeguards then...

No.

Arthur Brain

It really comes down to values. Being cheated on hurt. However, even during my divorce, I was still legally married. When asked out during that time period, I didn’t even consider it.

Children tend to behave like their role models. My ex’s role model was his father. There is a monkey see monkey do in here somewhere ...

I get what you're saying and I wouldn't make light of anything that you've been through whatsoever. I just see differing shades where I couldn't condemn or judge others who have done differently and not in order to hurt anyone either.

Arthur Brain

and as a followup [MENTION=10403]Arthur Brain[/MENTION], have you read the Pentateuch? Have you read the whole Bible, cover to cover?

Have you read the Bible today? Do you read it daily? once a week? once a month?

when is the last time you read the Bible for enjoyment?

it is widely regarded as the most influential piece of literature ever produced, regardless of your feelings about divine inspiration

Which one, which version? I've not read any version of the Bible cover to cover and in honesty I doubt those who have have managed to completely memorize the entirety of it without some eidetic aid. Do you know the book of Numbers or Deuteronomy word for word and inside out? I focussed more on the NT rather than the OT.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
So, you knew each one individually and in detail?

Come off it. I doubt anyone on here could in honesty recite that particular list without an eidetic memory. What's law number 145 off the top of your head? (No cheating)

i will be glad to answer your questions after you answer mine

ok doser

Well, apart from the fact that laws have been proven to have zero tolerance towards pedophilia and slippery slope fallacies have been made redundant in light of such stringent safeguards then...

No.

right, i know you believe that - but a new generation is being formed (warped) that will reject all that

ok doser

Which one, which version?

any version artie

i prefer the kjv now, myself - it has a richness of language missing from the more modern translations

as well, it has a historicity that is undeniable

I've not read any version of the Bible cover to cover

then you could have just answered "no"

Arthur Brain

i will be glad to answer your questions after you answer mine

Oh please, we both know you don't have a clue as to what law #145 is.

right, i know you believe that - but a new generation is being formed (warped) that will reject all that

It's not belief, it's fact. You've been shown this time and again and you still perpetuate the same fallacy. You should and do know better.

Arthur Brain

any version artie

i prefer the kjv now, myself - it has a richness of language missing from the more modern translations

as well, it has a historicity that is undeniable

then you could have just answered "no"

I prefer versions that accurately translate the original texts.

Today.

:)

ok doser

I prefer versions that accurately translate the original texts.

i've plowed through the koine greek occasionally, but never for enjoyment, usually just to puzzle something out - it doesn't flow for me the way the kjv does

even though i do respect it's superior historicity - often that's all that keeps me going

ok doser

Oh please, we both know you don't have a clue as to what law #145 is.

why is that important?

It's not belief, it's fact. You've been shown this time and again and you still perpetuate the same fallacy. You should and do know better.

well, no - you bailed on the convo last time we addressed this - care to try again?

in NYS (and others) there is a specific circumstance in which the state cedes any interest in the sexual molestation of a post pubescent girl of any age

do you know what that is?

Arthur Brain

i've plowed through the koine greek occasionally, but never for enjoyment, usually just to puzzle something out - it doesn't flow for me the way the kjv does

even though i do respect it's superior historicity - often that's all that keeps me going

Young's literal is more accurate.

Arthur Brain

why is that important?

Because you're the one saying that these accusers would know all of these laws and it's patently obvious that nobody besides some sort of "Sheldon Cooper" could. You certainly didn't have a clue about them in any depth until you hit google search so quit playing dumb.

well, no - you bailed on the convo last time we addressed this - care to try again?

in NYS (and others) there is a specific circumstance in which the state cedes any interest in the sexual molestation of a post pubescent girl of any age

do you know what that is?

Nobody has ever bailed on a conversation with you where it comes to your slippery slope fallacies about pedophilia being made legal.

How about you spell it out?

Arthur Brain

gave it a quick look - seems jarring to me

might do some side by side comparisons tomorrow - i'm afraid i'm pretty stuck on the kjv at this point

Would you prefer a flowing narrative or text that is accurately translated from the original? Such things make all the difference and even the "smallest" differences can make all the...difference.

ok doser

Because you're the one saying that these accusers would know all of these laws...

it was their job to know all of those laws, just as it's the job of a modern lawyer to master the law they plan to practice

how many laws do you think a first year law student has to master?

and it's patently obvious that nobody besides some sort of "Sheldon Cooper" could.

nonsense - i learn more than 613 discrete bits of information in every class i take in a single semester - much more than that in anatomy and physiology, for example, and ten times more if you count the non-required stuff I explore because I'm fascinated by it - developmental stages, disease stages, effects of pharmacology, normal degradation with age, malnutrition, environmental stressors, etc, etc, etc - easily 5000 discrete bits of interconnected information, and that's one semester, one course

You certainly didn't have a clue about them until you hit google search

well, yes, i did, i had more than a clue - i had a passing familiarity from reading the pentateuch several times

i never claimed to have them memorized

so quit playing dumb.

Oh, and leave the personal jabs out of your arguments please.

Nobody has ever bailed on a conversation with you where it comes to your slippery slope fallacies about pedophilia being made legal.

:think:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...-in-Colombia&p=5321711&viewfull=1#post5321711

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
it was their job to know all of those laws

The Pharisees have been called the "Heavy Duty Sunday (or would it be Saturday? :think:) School Teachers of their time."

They certainly knew their stuff.

They had to.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Because you're the one saying that these accusers would know all of these laws and it's patently obvious that nobody besides some sort of "Sheldon Cooper" could.

You seem to be making an argument from incredulity, being that you find it hard to believe that the Pharisees would know all 613 laws by heart, therefore they couldn't have...

You also seem to be forgetting that ancient folk, even the average roman citizen, were pretty darned smart, way smarter than your well-educated adult today.

Heck, just look at some of the love letters sent by men to their honeys during the civil war. Even they were far more eloquent than your average soldier of today is.

Arthur Brain

it was their job to know all of those laws, just as it's the job of a modern lawyer to master the law they plan to practice

how many laws do you think a first year law student has to master?

So, you, being a person who has read the bible cover to cover in any given translation should just as easily have been able to give law 145 without equivocation then shouldn't you? I'm well aware of your disdain for lawyers as well and that makes this all the more ironic given that you're so legalistic on the matter. You're arguing for and against your own position in effect. I wouldn't have a clue what law 145 or 613 was in honesty and yet according to you I should do if I've read and taken note of what the Bible says on the score.

nonsense - i learn more than 613 discrete bits of information in every class i take in a single semester - much more than that in anatomy and physiology, for example, and ten times more if you count the non-required stuff I explore because I'm fascinated by it - developmental stages, disease stages, effects of pharmacology, normal degradation with age, malnutrition, environmental stressors, etc, etc, etc - easily 5000 discrete bits of interconnected information, and that's one semester, one course

So how come you couldn't remember what law #145 was then? I could recite all manner of works by artists, film directors, composers and the years and genre of each of their works and so what? Is that supposed to be impressive? I also know a fair bit about pharmacology and physiology too with working in domiciliary care as its part of the job. Weehey.

well, yes, i did, i had more than a clue - i had a passing familiarity from reading the pentateuch several times

i never claimed to have them memorized

So, you read it several times and never memorized only 613 laws?! How so?

:think:

Oh, yes, there does seem to be some weird laws across the pond where young girls can get married with parental consent and there's even wingnuts like Phil "Duck Dynasty" Robertson who advocate and encourage it even. If they get as old as twenty they'll pick your wallet no less. 15/16? That's when they'll pick your ducks for you instead.

You're quite right. That sort of garbage needs kicking into touch across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.