NICENE CREED

Sealeaf

Thanks everyone for your help. It would seem I was incorrect in stating that all mainstream christian churches would affirm the principles of the Nicene creed. This saddens me since it strikes so close to the root of the christian tree.

jsanford108

Thanks everyone for your help. It would seem I was incorrect in stating that all mainstream christian churches would affirm the principles of the Nicene creed. This saddens me since it strikes so close to the root of the christian tree.

The part of the creed where Protestants diverge is "I believe in one Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. And I look forward to the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come."

Various denominations hold multiple baptisms (with no deep meaning, conjectured as mere "symbolism"). And obviously disagree with "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church."

There are also denominations of "Christians" (who, by definition are not "Christian") who disagree with the creed entirely. Such sects as Mormon, SDA, mid-acts dispensationalists, Jehovah's Witness, etc.

Hope this helps a little. And never fear asking questions. People who usually insult and throw accusations (such as liar) are usually shallow intellectually and unable to even defend their own doctrines logically and substantially.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Sealeaf

Thanks J, I was totally unaware of the multi baptism thing but should not have been since Catholics will do that too. Our belief being that you can only be baptized once since that one time gets you connected to Jesus and part of His church. You can however go through the motions any number of times. If the first time took then the others are meaningless but do no harm.
I can see that identifying the church as "Apostolic" is a stumbling block. Only the Orthodox, the Episcopals and the Catholics can get over that one easily. Lutherans can make it with a bit of word wiggling.
I think there should not be a problem with one holy and catholic, once we shift "catholic" to "universal" that reads as, " One ( There is just one Jesus, He instituted one church.) Holy (who wants to be part of an un holy church?) Universal ( well I guess there are those who want to place restrictions on membership based on Race, national origin, sexual orientation etc. but they are just wrong and it is a good thing that the creed says so)

beameup

I'd say that the Creed is one good thing that came out of Constantine's 325 A.D. Nicene Council.

The "baptism" would of course be the baptism in the Holy Spirit, not "sprinkling" H2O

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Eastern Orthodox Deny Filioque of Nicene Creed

Eastern Orthodox Deny Filioque of Nicene Creed

Today, on the way to Church I was talking to my son about the different Christian Churches or denominations. I asserted that they all accepted the Nicene creed as true. Was I correct? Do any of you belong to a recognized denomination that does not affirm the Nicene creed?
The Orthodox will not agree to the filoque clause, the double procession of the Holy Spirit by the Father and the Son, in the Nicene Creed.

AMR

Sealeaf

AMR Understood. Though exactly what difference they think it makes I don't know. In any case, when we start talking about the sequence of events as experienced by an eternal and timeless being, we are talking out of our hats.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The Orthodox will not agree to the filoque clause, the double procession of the Holy Spirit by the Father and the Son, in the Nicene Creed.
True, but that's in large part because then they'd have to admit the papacy is right on the matter, and they have been wrong all along. 'A hard pill to swallow for anybody.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Nicene Creed is evil. It lies.
The Nicene Creed is what the Church mentioned in Matthew 16:18 (KJV) by the Lord Jesus Christ, decided in a council (for an account of the first Church council, read Mid-Acts) to publish, similarly to the epistle the first Church council decided to publish; recorded, for the Church, by the Church (and by the Holy Spirit), at Acts 15:23-29 (KJV). The first Church council, being recorded in the Scripture itself, was a pattern for the Church, and she followed that pattern in AD 325, almost exactly three centuries after her birth on Pentecost in AD 33 (which may be called today incorrectly "AD 30") in Jerusalem, which was destroyed in AD 70 (today correctly called "AD 70"). So in AD 325, which was possibly 295 years after the Church was born in AD 33 ("AD 30" ; 325 - 30 = 295), bishops whose grandparents' grandparents' grandparents' grandparents' grandparents' grandparents' grandparents may have been members of the earliest Catholic Church, followed the pattern in Mid-Acts and convened a second Church council.

God's Truth

True, but that's in large part because then they'd have to admit the papacy is right on the matter, and they have been wrong all along. 'A hard pill to swallow for anybody.

Just you calling a brother in Christ 'papa' shows you are wrong.

Just the fact that a mere man allows himself to be called 'Holy Father' proves he is a sinner.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in the Nicene Creed. They believe in the Apostles Creed.

Apostles Creed

The Apostles' Creed
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth;
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit
and born of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again.
He ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.

THE APOSTLES CREED
I believe in God the Father Almighty. And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord, who was born of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary; crucified under Pontius Pilate and buried; the third day he rose from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of the Father, from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. And in the Holy Spirit; the holy Church; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the flesh.

THE NICENE CREED
I believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible; And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of His Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light; Very God of Very God; begotten, not made; being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made; Who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven; and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven; and sitteth on the right hand of the Father, and He shall come again with glory to judge both the quick and the dead; Whose kingdom shall have no end'.
And I believe in the Holy Ghost; the Lord and Giver of Life; Who proceedeth from the Father and the Son; Who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified; Who spake by the prophets. And I believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins. And I look for the resurrection of the dead; and the life of the world to come. Amen.
The Arian Catholic Creed

I BELIEVE IN ONE GOD,
Creator of Heaven and earth,
And of all things visible and invisible.
And in his Spiritual Son, Jesus Christ,
Whom was born of Mary and Joseph,
Was not consubstantial nor co-eternal with God the Father almighty,
Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, died, and was buried.
On the third day His Spirit was resurrected.
He ascended into Heaven,
And sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty.
Whence he shall come again to judge the living and the dead,
Of whose Kingdom there shall be no end.

And I believe in the Holy Spirit,
The Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church,
The communion of saints,
The forgiveness of sins,
The resurrection of the Spirit,
And life everlasting.
Amen.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I'm a redeemed, regenerate, repentant sinner.
Good for you. And what I mean is, who cares? You're a sinner, I'm a sinner, we're all sinners, we all sin, and sins divide according to gravity, and the gravest sins are bigger deals than the less weighty sins, the venial sins, if you're redeemed. If you believe. Or trust, whatever it is you're on about . . . .

Besides, I thought you had me on ignore. What, do you manage the Ignore feature like how users are temporarily banned at TOL sometimes? Did I get a two-day ban from you, is that it? :)

Truster

Good for you. And what I mean is, who cares? You're a sinner, I'm a sinner, we're all sinners, we all sin, and sins divide according to gravity, and the gravest sins are bigger deals than the less weighty sins, the venial sins, if you're redeemed. If you believe. Or trust, whatever it is you're on about . . . .

I care.

Hawkins

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

Today, on the way to Church I was talking to my son about the different Christian Churches or denominations. I asserted that they all accepted the Nicene creed as true. Was I correct? Do any of you belong to a recognized denomination that does not affirm the Nicene creed?

For point of reference I am a Catholic of the Maronite Rite.

Nicene Creed sets the basic guideline for Christians to identify a church which has the power to save. Denominations not complying to the Creed are thus heresies instead of denomination variance.

All left is that individual Christians have the responsibility to best secure one's own salvation by joining a better identified apostle's church. That is to say, you are not recommended to join a church suspicious of not complying the Apostle's Creed. You should look for a church with a long time reputation of not being suspected of any possible heresies, such that your own salvation can be put to a most secured position responsibly.