NICENE CREED

Sealeaf

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

Today, on the way to Church I was talking to my son about the different Christian Churches or denominations. I asserted that they all accepted the Nicene creed as true. Was I correct? Do any of you belong to a recognized denomination that does not affirm the Nicene creed?

For point of reference I am a Catholic of the Maronite Rite.

Truster

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

Today, on the way to Church I was talking to my son about the different Christian Churches or denominations. I asserted that they all accepted the Nicene creed as true. Was I correct? Do any of you belong to a recognized denomination that does not affirm the Nicene creed?

For point of reference I am a Catholic of the Maronite Rite.

So you tell things to your son and then check to see if you were correct.

Put him up for adoption.

Sealeaf

Nicene Creed:
We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
Maker of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial
of one Being with the Father.

Through him all things were made.

For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.

On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.

With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified.

He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen

Sealeaf

I'm sorry Jamie, I don't know what denomination "NT" is. Is there more to the name?
Or are you referring to the New testament? In which case you are quite correct and not answering the question.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The creed seems to change often. Some statements of faith are better than others.

Brother Ducky

Never too late to lie to him...

Not sure one should call Sealeaf's statement to his son a "lie." He might be mistaken, but he would have to know that there are those who are Christian and reject the creed for it to be a lie.

But more to the point, and one he would not have made if he were lying, are there Christian groups who reject the teaching of the creed. I indicated "teaching" because one could certainly have a group that held to "No creed but the Bible" and yet would affirm the doctrines of the creed.

If I had to guess, and it is only a guess, if there were to be a sticking point in accepting any of the doctrines of the creed it would be the idea of the catholic church. One could see themselves as the only church.

Truster

Not sure one should call Sealeaf's statement to his son a "lie." He might be mistaken, but he would have to know that there are those who are Christian and reject the creed for it to be a lie.

But more to the point, and one he would not have made if he were lying, are there Christian groups who reject the teaching of the creed. I indicated "teaching" because one could certainly have a group that held to "No creed but the Bible" and yet would affirm the doctrines of the creed.

If I had to guess, and it is only a guess, if there were to be a sticking point in accepting any of the doctrines of the creed it would be the idea of the catholic church. One could see themselves as the only church.

Anything that opposes truth is a lie. There are no white lies, just lies. If a man is not sure then he should shut up until he is sure or just admit he doesn't know. My statement stands as does truth, but you seem to prefer guessing and such nonsense.

" Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Yah Veh, my strength, and my redeemer."

Sealeaf

Please note that my son and I were discussing organized, named, denominations of Christians. Specifically, the various flavors of mainstream Protestantism. Not free thinking loners. If you are not a member of a denomination then you can of course believe whatever you wish. If you are a member of a denomination then you are expected to have beliefs in common with the other members. That is what "member" means. In the context of that, I expressed the opinion that I thought that they all affirmed the Nicene creed. Now I am called a liar, but no one has listed the denominations that do not affirm the creed.

Truster

Please note that my son and I were discussing organized, named, denominations of Christians. Specifically, the various flavors of mainstream Protestantism. Not free thinking loners. If you are not a member of a denomination then you can of course believe whatever you wish. If you are a member of a denomination then you are expected to have beliefs in common with the other members. That is what "member" means. In the context of that, I expressed the opinion that I thought that they all affirmed the Nicene creed. Now I am called a liar, but no one has listed the denominations that do not affirm the creed.

You said, "I asserted that they all accepted the Nicene creed as true. Was I correct?"

I asserted (state a fact or belief confidently and forcefully)

You then inquired if what you had said was correct? (free from error, in accordance with fact or truth)

These are the facts as you stated. You made a statement that was doubtful and that is lying.

Sealeaf

This
Anything that opposes truth is a lie.
is not true. There are many types of errors and omissions that are possible. For example: The new testament ignores the existence of bicycles, that does not make it a lie. Since Truster asserted an untrue statement he is by his own definition a liar, and by his own rule should be silent.

Sealeaf

This is becoming an unpleasant conversation and no useful information seems to be forthcoming, I will seek the information I need from another source.

Sealeaf

The Nicene Creed
Evangelical Lutheran Worship
The Nicene Creed is appropriate during Advent, Chri
stmas, Easter, and on festival days.
We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the virgin M
ary
and became truly human.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilat
e;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living a
nd the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver
of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,*
who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and g
lorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic chur
ch.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of
sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.
Apparently the Lutheran Church affirms the Nicene Creed

Sealeaf

The Methodist website affirms the Apostles creed but does not directly state that they affirm the Nicene creed, however their "confession of faith" seems to pretty much cover the same ground. I leave it to an actual Methodist to point out what the differences are.

Sealeaf

Congregational sources deny that they have any creed except what the individual congregation agrees to under the "headship of Christ". This seems like a recipe for disaster to me but they seem to be doing ok with it so not for me to judge. Also it means that I can't tell if they affirm the Nicene creed or not. I would have to question every congregation. From what I have been able to find on the internet I would guess that they would insist on re writing any statement of belief in their own words. Most of what I could find was all about using democratic process to determine practice, but nothing about determining belief.
If any of the brothers or sisters on this forum is a member of a congregation that specifically rejects any portion of either the Apostles or the Nicene creed perhaps they could let us know ? I have personal difficulty with the idea that the truth is determined by a vote and that everyone is equal given that the inequality of talents and morality is so obvious.