NFL 2017

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why don't you do both?
Mostly a matter of time. If I was putting money in it I'd put a lot more work into the numbers than I'm interested in at present. I did bet sports before my conversion. I stuck with series baseball and NFL games, because I found that as with dog racing if you spent enough time breaking it down you really could make the right statistical call enough to make money at it.

I'm too busy with school to attempt it and since I don't gamble anymore I haven't found that level of interest. :eek:

Okay, looking back over the games so far...

KC @ NE: While I didn't think Brady (sans a dependable weapon) would play pinball with KC or make that big a number, losing and losing the way they did certainly surprised me. I had it a 28 - 21 contest because of Brady not having the full complement and KC playing well away with that defense. This would have been the one game I took and put money on because it had all the earmarks of a line upset to me and the general money was going nuts the other way.

Alex ends the day with a 148 and Brady pulls an embarrassing 70...astonishing, but until it happens again you have to think both signal callers had a rare day.

Atl @ Chi: Nervous about this mostly because I hate a dome team playing in the elements on the road and you didn't know what was going to happen offensively with the Bears. Now we do. Ryan's 116 was expected, but the point production, even on the road, was much lower than I expected, which cost me the game by line. Chicago looks to be competitive this year. I'd have been tempted, but likely stayed away from this one because Atlanta is a temperamental dome team and I hated betting them outside of the structures.

Jets @ Buf: nothing to see here. Taylor looked like a good qb on a mediocre team and the Jests looked like they need a qb. Same ol.

Bal @ Cin: I thought this one would be a fg either way without a lot of scoring. A game only a mother loves. What the actual outcome portends is anyone's guess. It certainly makes next week more interesting for fans of either.

Pit @ Cle: How surprising is this? I actually had the Steelers covering. But I never like to wade into a rookie qb situation if there's any defense to speak of. That can narrow the gap considerably if the rookie has talent, given the absence of a book.

Arz @ Det: was a pick'em game for everyone watching. That's reason enough to stay away from it. Money was moving solidly into the visitor's end late. Palmer was awful. Was last year foreshadowing or was this just one of those road games? A repeatable theme for the week as a number of good qbs had off days while rookies and those who normally don't shine were brilliant.

Oak @ Ten: two hot qbs last year who saw promise ended by injury. Both looked pretty good. Looked like another push. The half point line said the same...redzone made the difference. The Titans need to get Henry more involved and the offense needs to be more creative inside the 20.

Phi @ Was: another push, where Cousins looked wan without run support and Wentz continued to build the hopes of the Philly faithful with a strong outing.

Jac @ Hou
: ...just who the heck cares anymore? The curse of Manning continues in Houston. Jac? Don't write home just yet.

Sea @ GB: talked about this one earlier. Line play for Seattle failed and GB played surprisingly good defense. A good beginning for the Pack.

Car @ SF: I know it's on the road and I know Cam had a really good day, but I expected him to light this team up. I'm a little worried that he didn't.

Gia @ Dal: at full strength 9 - 20 Cowboys. But the Giant's weren't and that took a few away. They both looked as expected otherwise. I think New York will play them tougher down the road. Great start for Dallas though.

UPCOMING:

NO @ Min: home sweet homecoming for AP? The Saints are playing a solid opponent and still have serious defensive questions to answer. If you like the Saints you need to hope a shift to more running might help rest the D and keep opposing offenses on the sideline. You certainly have the offensive firepower to play last man standing...I have the Vikings and 3, so I'm taking the half point and running with it...well, without actual money on the line. :eek:

SD @ Den: I know, but two LA teams is just irritating. I like Denver by a td in this one, so I can live more comfortably with the 3.5...but Rivers can light it up on the road and Denver has yet to produce an heir for Peyton. Will this be the game that begins the search or settles?

Jerry Shugart

Gia @ Dal: at full strength 9 - 20 Cowboys. But the Giant's weren't and that took a few away. They both looked as expected otherwise. I think New York will play them tougher down the road. Great start for Dallas though.

The Boys were missing their starting middle linebacker and in the first quarter they lost their best cornerback. So they were not at full strength either.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Boys were missing their starting middle linebacker and in the first quarter they lost their best cornerback. So they were not at full strength either.
They didn't need the same pressure or coverage with the Giants missing Beckham, who is the Zeke on that offensive unit. So Dallas was a point off what I thought they'd do and the Giants were nearly a td shy. That's the Beckham difference. Put Beckham in and take Zeke out and I'd take the Giants with that line.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You must have been watching another game!

One of the few I could actually enjoy.

Ah, well. So it ended 10-5, and 6-9 for me, with 2 games lost by a half point, the margin for a losing record flip against the line. On the plus side, I got a better sense of the players...maybe. :chuckle:

I saw the likely outcome as NO 25, Min 28...the Vikes did about as expected and the Saints not quite. They were evenly matched in performance except for the margin established in that 2nd quarter, which is a better sign for NO than the home team. Brees was shy on tds (only one) against a stout defense, but moved the ball well and ended with a qbr over a hundred. But the running game wasn't there and they didn't do much to establish it. AP can't have six carries on the night or why pick him up? Bradford was nearly perfect, with 346 yds, 3 tds and no picks and his running game looked solid (at least against the Saints) churning up 129 yds by Cook and a 5.8 avg. Which makes the relatively even nature of 3 out of four quarters a little of an eye opener. If I told you about Bradford and Cook first, followed it with Brees held to a td without much run support I doubt anyone would guess that final score.

Or, the Saints are redzone running game away from taking this one.

But the real disappointment was in Denver. I had it SD (I know) 18, Denver 25 with a comfortable 7 point margin. Denver leads 24 - 7 going into the 4th...and Denver gives up two unanswered tds to blow the margin. Denver misses a fg, throws an int and coughs up the ball in the 4th? :plain: Not good, even with the win.

Denver's lost quarter and Atlanta's forgotten offense cost me a decent week against the line. :mmph:

Jerry Shugart

One of the few I could actually enjoy.

Even if the Giants had Beckham and the Boys did not have Zeke the Boys would have won anyway. That is because the offensive line of the New York Football Club is so poor that Eli never had the time to wait for his receivers to get open. And that would not change even if Beckham was playing.

Stick a fork in the Giants!

And that leads us to next Monday night's game:

New York Giants -4
Detroit Lions

I will take the points and the Lions. And I will also take the Texans and the points against Cincy:

Cincinnati -5
Houston

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Even if the Giants had Beckham and the Boys did not have Zeke the Boys would have won anyway.
I'd have still had them winning, but not by the margin of the line.

That is because the offensive line of the New York Football Club is so poor that Eli never had the time to wait for his receivers to get open. And that would not change even if Beckham was playing.
It's early. Who knows? I love Dan Patrick's "over reaction Monday" spot. One of my favorites was, "I guess it's time to consider Jacksonville a contender!" :)

Stick a fork in the Giants!
:nono:

And that leads us to next Monday night's game:

New York Giants -4
Detroit Lions
Haven't looked, but Giants at home against a traveling domer? First blush moves me the other way. I'll flesh it out later.

I will take the points and the Lions. And I will also take the Texans and the points against Cincy:

Cincinnati -5
Houston
The Bengals can't play that badly two in a row and Houston has shown no offense. I'm inclined to go Bengals.

Well rested TB is a surprising 6.5 favorite over the visiting Bears. And Pittsburgh is a 6.5 fav. over visiting Vikes.
Can Oakland cover 14.5 against the Jests? Will Dallas beat Denver a mile high covering the 1.5? Is NE 5.5 better than the Saints IN NO? And should Atlanta be a fg home favorite as GB comes calling?

An interesting week.

Jerry Shugart

Dallas -2
Denver

It is hard to take the Cowboys here because of Denver's advantage in regard to the altitude of Mile High Stadium. Early in the season the teams are not in as good a shape as they will be later in the season and that explains why Denver is 19-1 in their first two home games during the last ten years.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Looks like Jerry's hunch was the right call on Cin. as Dalton and company are in a freefall. On the other side, Watson may be, may be what Houston has been looking for...a modest enough outing, but he didn't turn it over, gained some serious yds rushing when the opportunity presented, and played within himself. A case where I think the QBR was more on point than the traditional rating.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Not a good week for Ohio football.

Ben Roethlisberger became the all time winningest QB in the history of First Energy Stadium (where the Browns play) .....only problem is, Big Ben plays for the Steelers. Big Ben has more wins in Cleveland than any Browns QB since 1995.

The Bengals lost two games in 5 days.

And, "THE" Ohio State Buckeyes were spanked by Oklahoma.

On the bright side, the Cleveland Indians have won 22 games in a row....which is more wins than the Browns have since 2010.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Average of 10 top 10 rbs (ESPN, FoxSports, Athlong, etc.) / My picks

1. Brown ---- Brown
2. Sanders --Sanders
3. Payton ----Sayers
4. Smith ------Payton
5. Dickerson - Faulk
6. Tomlinson - Dickerson
7. Simpson --- Simpson
8. Campbell -- Tomlinson
9. Faulk ------- Campbell
10. Peterson --Peterson

Hon Men.: Sayers, Dorsett, Allen.

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
The Rams suck. Going on 20 years again. Which is why Colin Halfernigg ruined the game for me. Why hold onto a crap team for decades just for some clueless entitled little punk to start grandstanding for his girlfriend's drama. Can't bring myself to join steelers (my 14 year old' steam).

Sent from my iPhone using TOL